twofish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2004
Visit site
Status
Anyone know what's the percentage of US pediatric residency applicants that match into their top 3 choice?
Thanx

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
They don't break that specific data down-- a simple google search will get you the most relevant data out there. Be careful about posting on these sites for specific numbers/stats-- if someone has these that are not available publicly, then they are just making stuff up. There are very few heads of the NRMP trolling these boards ;-)

All the residency match data available is here...

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2010.pdf

good luck

OP
T

twofish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2004
Visit site
Status
Thanks for the reply. I guess there is no published data for pediatric specifically. Has anyone heard anybody say that most of US pediatric applicant match into top 3 choice?
I heard somebody mentioned about it and not sure if there is any truth to it.

They don't break that specific data down-- a simple google search will get you the most relevant data out there. Be careful about posting on these sites for specific numbers/stats-- if someone has these that are not available publicly, then they are just making stuff up. There are very few heads of the NRMP trolling these boards ;-)

All the residency match data available is here...

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2010.pdf

good luck

twilightdoc

Attending
Jun 12, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone know what's the percentage of US pediatric residency applicants that match into their top 3 choice?
Thanx
Many med schools will give out those overall figures for their senior class in their local match day press release, but it isn't divided by specialty. But beware- "top 3 choices" can depend on how high (or low) you aim. Hopefully you have received good advice from your faculty, have good self-awareness, and have a reasonable list. There is nothing wrong with "aiming high", but be careful what you ask for. The beauty of the match system is that you can rank a bunch of programs where you would like to train and are not forced to "settle" with only one choice. In my experience, most of the students going into peds have matched at one of their top 3, usually at their top choice. But I tell them all to rank all of the places where they interviewed, unless they find some programs or cities so loathsome that they would rather scramble than end up there. And the couples match throws a whole new layer of uncertainty into the mix, particularly if one of you is matching in a highly competitive field.