# of applying students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bryan123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that the number of students applying to med schools was down recently. I was wondering if anyone knows the exact figures on that and why do you think that is? Just curious. Also, I would like to talk to any new students out there about any tips they have for getting in. (I'm applying for 2000)
Thanks,
Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by one of my TRP instructors that the applicant pool was down over the last couple of years...like 5~7%. But, that the mean GPA and MCAT scores were actually higher than in recent years. Translation, a smaller more self-selective pool. It's not heading back to the 80's where they were hurting for applicants. A guy I went to college [the first time I went] get into med school with GPA and MCAT scores well below the means. He was like over 100 deep on the alternate list...to make it worse, he didn't want to go. His parents DEMANDED that he do it...sad huh? He flunked out after year one.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Apps are down across the board and osteopathic apps are down as well. This is completely predictable; it happens every time the economy takes off. Just wait until the stock market experiences its long awaited "correction" and watch how many college students suddenly develop a passion for medicine and an unquenchable thirst to become a healer...

--dave

Members don't see this ad :)
Dave,
Why does a smaller applicant pool translate into higher MCATs and GPA's? I'm not arguing the fact, I'm just wondering.
Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan, a smaller applicant pool doesn't TRANSLATE into higher #'s -- you're right... that's counter intuitive. It just happended to be a fact -- less people are applying to medical school; however, the people who are deciding not to apply are the ones with lower #'s (applicant pool is self-selecting).

The applicant pools are still pretty large however. I have also read info that supports that the number of applicants in the last year or two (though being fewer in number) are more "qualified" (ie. GPA/MCAT).

2003 & jdaasbo,

Thanks for clarifying my statement.

In a similar vein, I have also read in a few places that the predicted physician glut is far more attributable to over-reaction by the powers that be. One of the sources, Isserson's Book on getting into residencies, cites their over-reaction to an alleged physician over-supply in the 70's as being responsible for the shortage of the mid-80s, when they were desparate for quality applicants. Isserson predicts the goverening bodies will go thru with downsizing and the strong emphasis of primary care only to find themselves in another self-induced shortage in about a decade...or just about the time many of us are coming on-line.

Food for thought....

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Yea, but it sounds like the NPs, NDs, and PAs (heck, throw in the chiropractors too) will be glad to take over as the primary care providers when they are not qualified in all aspects of care. They'll especially use this to make their point, if there is another primary care physician shortage.

[This message has been edited by VM (edited May 09, 1999).]