# of Interviews WITHOUT an Acceptance???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a reapplicant who applied way too late last cycle to give myself a fair shot at getting in. While I did receive 2 interviews (both post-01 Dec) and made 2 waitlists, I obviously didn't get in anywhere. This cycle I applied to ~20 schools, have had 6 interviews thus far, 2 more to go (all pre-01 Dec), and have been rejected by 4.

You got rejected after interviewing by 4 of the 6 schools you interviewed at?

Anyways I'll add to this thread after Dec 1st.. I am a reapplicant that applied to 20+ schools and so far had 4 interviews and have 2 more in the next few weeks. Just getting these interviews have been a blessing and I am anxiously awaiting Dec 1st to see what will be of my future.

Members don't see this ad.

i think he meant out of the 20 schools he applied to, he has (6 interviews) + (2 waitlsits) + (4 rejections) + (8 have-not-heard-froms-yet).

i applied to ~15 schools and have 3 pre-dec1st interviews. goodluck to us re-applicants! :thumbup:

Despite the 1/3 "rule" and being told at each interview that "if you have an interview this early, it's a very good thing" or "if you're worried about getting in somewhere, then stop worrying" and being told by current students that "if you have that many interviews this early, you're going to get in" and "i got into most of the schools i interviewed at event hought I was really nervous" I'm still not confident that I'll get in, and think that if I ever become confident that I'll get in, it'll blow up in my face, and I'll be branded a jackass for the rest of my life.

Does that clear things up?

LOL! Yep, yep, heard all of those. I know exactly how you're feeling. So t-man, how many interviews have you had and how many do you still have lined up (pre- or post- 01 Dec)?

Members don't see this ad :)

No, xtractime was correct...I've had 4 rejections from schools that I did not interview at. But to further clarify what xtractime said, I have had 6 interviews, 2 more interviews this month, NO waitlists so far, and about 8 schools that I'm still under review at.

Anyways I'll add to this thread after Dec 1st.. I am a reapplicant that applied to 20+ schools and so far had 4 interviews and have 2 more in the next few weeks. Just getting these interviews have been a blessing and I am anxiously awaiting Dec 1st to see what will be of my future.

714guy, I can respect your perspective on interviews, and I hope that my posts have not made me appear ungrateful or paranoid. Being a reapplicant, I am stoked to have some interviews before 01 Dec and am excited to let my future play out over the next couple months. Isn't is crazy that this process will determine our future career path and the news we hear will change our lives forever?

So I know that you said you'll post after 01 Dec, but what is your initial interpretation of how your interviews have gone and what you believe gives you a good shot to get into your schools? Thanks for posting.

i applied to ~15 schools and have 3 pre-dec1st interviews. goodluck to us re-applicants! :thumbup:

xtractime, have you been to your interviews yet? If so, how do you think they went and what is your confidence level of getting accepted after the interviews?

By the way, the whole statistics thing is kind of a joke. It is not just a calculatable statistic of whether or not you will get in. Think for example how the high stats people will get in everywhere they apply, and the low-stats will get in no where. Where does that fit in your probabilities?

harjay, it is a joke, which is why I wanted to just correct their formula and not talk about it anymore. Like I said in a previous post, there are just too many variables to legitimately calculate a probability. And that, really, is the point of this whole thread.

I think that each applicant, and only they themself, knows how her/his application process has gone and can really be the only one to make any kind of presumption about likelihood of acceptance. We can make judgements on others' chances, but we don't really know their whole situation. But, it has helped me a great deal to find others who are in similar situations as me to compare and predict.

harjay, I've noticed that you've had some success getting some interviews and you appear to be a great applicant with impressive stats. What has your impression been as you've been to interviews? Have your feelings changed about getting in now that you've interviewed? Then again, strong applicants like yourself may be more concerned about getting into their top schools than just getting in anywhere, like me! Thanks for your insight.

714guy, I can respect your perspective on interviews, and I hope that my posts have not made me appear ungrateful or paranoid. Being a reapplicant, I am stoked to have some interviews before 01 Dec and am excited to let my future play out over the next couple months. Isn't is crazy that this process will determine our future career path and the news we hear will change our lives forever?

So I know that you said you'll post after 01 Dec, but what is your initial interpretation of how your interviews have gone and what you believe gives you a good shot to get into your schools? Thanks for posting.

Yes!!! It's pretty crazy that on Dec. 1st the decisions of Adcom can change my life. I've already decided that this is the last time I apply for D school despite the fact how much I want to be a dentist. Maybe it just isn't meant to be if I don't get in. I've been reflecting on this entire past year, and I am happy and glad I didn't get in last year. This past year could possibly be the best year of my life thus far.

About the interviews, I think I've done a fairly good job of letting the interviewer know who I really am, after all, thats the whole point is for them to see how well you will fit into their program. Getting an interview means that on paper you're good enough for them, so they just want a glimpse of your personality.

All my interviews thus far have been very relaxing and more of like a conversation with my friends and I. The night before one of my interviews, I went out on a first date this girl and we just talked about our lives and just got to know each other better. Then next day after my interview she asked me how it went and I realized that during the interview I talked about the exact same thing I talked about with her. It was pretty crazy like deja vu. On all of my interviews, the interviewer(s) have shown a lot of interest and related to a lot of what I've had to say. So I am taking that as they like me. But who knows, I could be just reading them wrong and maybe they hated me.. HeHe. I just know that it's life and me getting into D school is not impossible. Hopefully come Dec. 1st I'll have a few acceptance so I can at least have a choice.

good luck to all of you..

xtractime, have you been to your interviews yet? If so, how do you think they went and what is your confidence level of getting accepted after the interviews?

yes i have been to all my interviews. they were all in september and i have not heard a word since from other school!! :( as far as confidence, i have no idea. the interviews went well, but with the # of applicants who knows. also interviewing early, i'm not too sure how well the ADCOMs would really remember how i did come november choosing time, unless there were rolling admissions at the schools that i interviewed at. i got a "top group" letter from ASDOH but i wouldn't put all my marbles in that since a lot of people in the ASDOH threads have all been posting they got one too. i hate reapplying!!!!!!!

yes i have been to all my interviews. they were all in september and i have not heard a word since from other school!! :( as far as confidence, i have no idea. the interviews went well, but with the # of applicants who knows. also interviewing early, i'm not too sure how well the ADCOMs would really remember how i did come november choosing time, unless there were rolling admissions at the schools that i interviewed at. i got a "top group" letter from ASDOH but i wouldn't put all my marbles in that since a lot of people in the ASDOH threads have all been posting they got one too. i hate reapplying!!!!!!!

what is a "top group" letter? i have an interview but mine doesn't say anything about being a "top group."

harjay, I've noticed that you've had some success getting some interviews and you appear to be a great applicant with impressive stats. What has your impression been as you've been to interviews? Have your feelings changed about getting in now that you've interviewed? Then again, strong applicants like yourself may be more concerned about getting into their top schools than just getting in anywhere, like me! Thanks for your insight.
I really haven't been concerned about the whole cycle. Even when I first applied and [prior to joining SDN] had no idea of other students' stats, I knew that this is what I want to do in life no matter how long it takes (like my dad did-he applied 3 times). But now that I've interviewed at several schools and seen other applicants' stats, I have little concern about not getting in somewhere.

I don't really have a top choice, I remain very open-minded at all of the schools I've interviewed at and taken lots of notes and stats; I'll decide which school when I get accepted. (that being said I like the idea of living in San Francisco). Everytime I visit a school and hear about their program, I get excited about it. I guess that's why it's hard for me to make up my mind.

if you are on the waitlist is there a good chance you will be accepted?

The night before one of my interviews, I went out on a first date this girl and we just talked about our lives and just got to know each other better. Then next day after my interview she asked me how it went and I realized that during the interview I talked about the exact same thing I talked about with her.

"First dates are interviews."
--Van Wilder

I've been reflecting on this entire past year, and I am happy and glad I didn't get in last year. This past year could possibly be the best year of my life thus far.

Just amazed at how I was thinking exactly the same thought.. this past year has been just a blessing for me, and getting an interview was a bonus. Just looking forward to a grand finale. :)

Good luck to you all!

I have a 3.8 GPA/3.8 Sci GPA with a 19/20/23 on my DAT.

I applied pretty early on (end of June) to seven total schools. So far, I've been invited to 5 interviews (Penn, Nova, UF, Maryland, NYU), and I am only attending 4. I think that the sheer number of interviews you receive and the timetable that you receive them in can be a relatively good indicator of the schools' interest in you. We'll see!

The important thing about an interview (regardless of when you get it) is you have INCREASED your chances of getting in. Not everyone receives an interview, and the fact that you HAVE an interview is helpful.

Having a late interview can be more difficult only because with rolling admissions, spots are constantly being filled, so you have less spots available to you.

But I know people that had interviews in November, and didn't find out they got into the school (after being waitlisted) until July of the next year. So early interviews don't necessarily mean you WILL get in. I think it just means you applied early, and have something to offer that the school is interested in.