Mar 11, 2010
Status (Visible)
Just out of curiosity, how many schools have you all applied to? Also, what is most important to you in a school (rank, tuition, location, etc.)?

LCR

Feb 11, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Hi! I completed applications for 6 programs this past year. (After I got accepted to where I wanted to go, I did not finish the last three). The most important thing to me was the rank and location. I wanted something close to my family and that had a good reputation. My understanding from discussing with O.Ts in the field, is that fieldwork is very important and a school should have a large data base of fieldworks. This is my own opinion, tuition was not as important because even though I am taking out a lot of loans, I know I will be able to get a good job since there is such a high need.

Apr 27, 2009
Status (Visible)
I applied to 4 schools, and the most important was the rank and location as well! Glad I got my first choice!

About the Ads

MOTstudent

enthusiastic new member
Feb 10, 2010
I only applied to 1 (good thing I got in!).
Most important to me was location - I picked a school not only near family, but an hour from the beach, an hour from skiing... great location.
Reputation was of second importance.
Third importance was actually that it was a Christian school. I'm very excited to get out of a trashy public party school and go somewhere with higher expectations.

Sep 28, 2009
Status (Visible)
I applied to three. Factors were: prerequisites (did I have time to complete them?), location (near free housing a-la my parents), cost (when applying this wasn't so important but now that I have a choice it is.) and faculty interests (also much more important after getting in).

I didn't pay too much attention to rankings because I couldn't tell what those were based on and they seem to change dramatically year to year. I'd also strongly recommend going to info sessions to get a feel for the school.

Good luck!

Oct 1, 2009
Status (Visible)
I applied for 3 and was going to apply for 2 more. Mine all depended on where my husband was looking for a job and where we both had good opportunities. I got accepted into 2 schools and it was VERY hard to choose (considering I liked BOTH schools). I was going back and forth for a long while! One was in a great location (closer to family/friends, and southern comfort atmosphere) with AWESOME faculty/staff (I had a chance to meet with students and faculty at 2 of their preview days) and it's a straight 3 yr doctorate program. The other was a masters program with an option to transition into the doctorate. It didn't have a preview day therefore, I didn't get comfortable with the school but found it had a great reputation and an overwhelming # of surrounding opportunities (i.e. research opportunities, fieldwork opportunities, volunteering, city life, etc.). Nevertheless, my decision was a mutual decision with my husband...so it made my decision a little easier ;) He encouraged me to choose one over the other (because of the school's high ranking and reputation). On the other hand, he didn't have as good of an opportunity at our #1 pick based on location. So, it all worked out for the best - now we're VERY excited about moving to a new, vibrant & diverse city :D

As far as tuition goes...I've always been told, don't let money keep you from following your career dreams! I let it stop me before and wasn't going to let it stop me this time. Therefore, it was either now or never for me - I've put it off for too long. That's why we have student loans ;)

Mar 17, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
I wish I had the opportunity to apply to multiple schools. My situation really only allows me to apply at the local university, which thank God has an MOT program. I will be applying for the fall 2011 program. So I guess I just have to cross my fingers, pray and hope for the best.

Sep 1, 2009
Status (Visible)
I only applied to 1 (good thing I got in!).
Most important to me was location - I picked a school not only near family, but an hour from the beach, an hour from skiing... great location.
Reputation was of second importance.
Third importance was actually that it was a Christian school. I'm very excited to get out of a trashy public party school and go somewhere with higher expectations.

That's great. :) I'm with you there. I would love to go to a Christian school; it would be such a different scene from what I've been dealing with in undergrad.

Sep 7, 2009
Status (Visible)
I applied to only one school and luckily got accepted. I was going to wait and apply for fall 2011, but I realized that for this program, I'd actually have all the pre-req's done as of this summer. So I decided to go ahead and apply and see what happened. They accepted me with both A & P I and II in progress. The other schools around me require more pre-req's like physics and chem, so I'm thrilled I got into the program I did, for this year.

Oct 12, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
I'm applying to 11 schools this year! I really need to get into an OT school and get this done and over with!!!! This will be my second year applying. Last year I only applied to two schools. One put me on the alternate list and the other rejected me. Hopefully this year I will hear good news soon!!! Applying to schools this year cost me a fortune :eek: but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads