# of rewrites possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulchemguy

~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't do so well, probably worst than the 1st time I wrote it. Now I'm wondering how many times can we write the MCAT? I remember something like 3, but as long as you send a med school rejection letter proving that you applied, AAMC allows you to write again? Is that true? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Paulchemguy said:
I didn't do so well, probably worst than the 1st time I wrote it. Now I'm wondering how many times can we write the MCAT? I remember something like 3, but as long as you send a med school rejection letter proving that you applied, AAMC allows you to write again? Is that true? Thanks.
After 3...you need a letter

doc G said:
After 3...you need a letter
Right.

OP, there is no limit on how many times you can take the MCAT, but you will need some kind of proof that you're really planning to apply to medical school after your third attempt. You can submit several types of documents to the AAMC to do this, such as a rejection letter from a med school, a letter from your premed advisor, etc. But I would advise you to think positively, and plan on only taking it twice at most if you even need to take it again at all. Wait until your scores come out in October before you make a decision; you can't predict how well you did based on how you felt coming out of the test. Read through the form threads; I would say that 95%+ of SDN students thought their test forms were super hard. I thought mine was hard too; I've posted a few times that I came out of that test center feeling like I'd been hit by a Mack truck. It's just an intense experience all around for nearly everyone. Best of :luck: to you. :)

QofQuimica said:
Right.

OP, there is no limit on how many times you can take the MCAT, but you will need some kind of proof that you're really planning to apply to medical school after your third attempt. You can submit several types of documents to the AAMC to do this, such as a rejection letter from a med school, a letter from your premed advisor, etc.

Actually, if I'm not wrong, that is slightly incorrect thanks to CBTs.

How often can I take the MCAT?
Examinees may take the MCAT a maximum of three times per year, but can only register for one exam at a time. Documentation is no longer required if you have taken the exam more than three times.

How long do I have to wait to retake the test?
Although you may only register for one exam at a time, there is no defined waiting period between tests.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/cbtfaqs.pdf