# of surgery days as a senior resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brendang

aka the retina geek
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
as a pgy-4, how many days would you expect a resident to be in the OR... if anyone could, i'd appreciate it if someone could let me know what a typical schedule would be like at their home institution for pgy2-4...

Members don't see this ad.

At my program it depends on the rotation. Most rotations it's 4 days of clinic, 1 day of OR. At the VA it's 3 days of clinic, 2 days of OR (broken into 1 full day and 2 half days).

For PGY-2s it's pretty much just about all clinic, all the time. PGY-3s spend maybe 2 days in the OR a week, but mostly as assistants to attendings on subspecialties. My program is not big on non-seniors getting much surgery as primary surgeon.

brendang said:
as a pgy-4, how many days would you expect a resident to be in the OR... if anyone could, i'd appreciate it if someone could let me know what a typical schedule would be like at their home institution for pgy2-4...

It is completely program dependent. At my program, as a pgy-3, you are generally in the OR 2.5-3 days/week depending on what service you are on.

As a pgy-4, it depends what clinic you are at. At our VA and county hospital residents clinic you are in the OR every other day (alternating with another senior resident in that clinic). At our university hospital residents' clinic, you are in the OR potentially any day of the week depending on case load (only 1 senior resident at this clinic).

But, as stated previously, OR experience is very program dependent.

It's very program dependent and hospital dependent.

In one rotations, there is a half day a week for the senior resident.
In another rotation, the fellow operates 5 days a week, but only 1 day is all day.
In another, it's 3 days a week.

In some rotations, one faculty is so good a teacher that 1 case with him is worth more than 3-5 cases with another faculty (who simply sits there and doesn't give much helpful advice).