Off Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took some time off after my father died, and I am now six months behind. So, I can either graduate in December 2011 or May 2012. My advisor is encouraging me just to stay till May, because he thinks it will be hard to find a residency to start mid year. And that's what I'm leaning towards as well. But one of my friends was encouraging me that I should ask around....

Anyone had luck starting residency mid year?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be hard to find a residency midyear and would severely limit your choices. The one thought I had is wondering if there would be any cool thing you could do for 6 months between graduation and starting a residency. You could still graduate in December and go through the match in March. [Note, I am not saying I think you should do this, but it might be worth thinking about if you could do something cool with the time or even get a jump on studying for Step 3.]

I'm sorry about your dad.

Graduate on time instead of early. See if you can even work out something with your medical school to get to take some extra rotations that won't necessarily cost you any more tuition. With the way my masters degree fell and the screwy way the medical school semesters went, I think I wound up taking an extra 3-4 months of rotations past what was required. And that kept my loans from going into repayment early. Graduating off cycle will be a tremendous pain in your rear.

Graduate on time instead of early. See if you can even work out something with your medical school to get to take some extra rotations that won't necessarily cost you any more tuition. With the way my masters degree fell and the screwy way the medical school semesters went, I think I wound up taking an extra 3-4 months of rotations past what was required. And that kept my loans from going into repayment early. Graduating off cycle will be a tremendous pain in your rear.

I definitely second this if you have any student loans. If you graduate in Dec, your grace period will end around June, and you shouldn't expect a residency paycheck until at least the end of July.