Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Off Topic Chemistry Problem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by justin342, Feb 13, 2002.

1. justin342

justin342 Member

I know this is off topic, but I didn't have anywhere else to turn for help and I know there are a lot of smart people in here.

Explain why a mixture of HCl and KCl does not function as a buffer, where as a mixture of HC(2)H(3)O(2) and NaC(2)H(3)O(2) does.

Anyone?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    HCl and KCl fully dissociate in solution, they are ionic compounds. Acetic acid and sodium acetate are covalent compounds which partially ionize and thus can become protonated/deprotonated as required to maintain pH (up to an extent).

HCl is a strong acid, acetic acid is a weak acid.

4. justin342

justin342 Member

Sounds good. It seems obvious now that I read it. Thanks for the help.

5. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

I'd like to add that HCl and KCl do not provide us with any base what soever. Acetic acid is a weak acid which can dissociate and associate based on its chemical structure (henderson hasselback or however you spell it).

6. daisygirl

daisygirl woof

Actually HCl and KCl do provide bases; the Cl- anions are considered lewis bases.

7. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

the question i have is: will the pH go up if you add Cl-? I know that Cl- is a lewis base, but does Cl- have the capability of buffering??? it has no conjugate really.

8. daisygirl

daisygirl woof

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by souljah1:
    <strong>the question i have is: will the pH go up if you add Cl-? I know that Cl- is a lewis base, but does Cl- have the capability of buffering??? it has no conjugate really.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You need a weak acid and its conjugate salt or a weak base and its conjugage salt in order to have a buffer solution. As imtiaz stated HCl and KCl will dissociate 100%, thus no buffer solution. The only reason I pointed out that Cl- is a lewis base is because there is a base present. In the question presented Cl- does not have the capability of buffering b/c it is not going to shift the equilibrium over to the left, thus the buffering effect. Adding more Cl- will increase the pH.

9. mongoose

mongoose Banned
    Banned

Ultimately, there is no buffer effect because the Cl- anion is very stable and will not attack water or anything else to gain a proton. Well, there may be some things it will attack, but they would be few and far between, maybe I- anion but not to any great extent. To get a buffer, you must have something capable of attacking and removing protons from other species. Typically, this will involve an oxygen with a negative charge or a nitrogen with it's lone pair of electrons.