Off-Topic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

militarymd

SDN Angel
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been on my wrist for 20 years...went with me all over the world...Cuba, Middle East, etc.

What's on yours?

sd21bl0.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Having just turned 40, I'm thinking about replacing my trusty Sea Dweller with the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph....

2007-02-07-11-42-40Enhanced2.jpg

A nice watch is high on my list of things to get when I finally accumulate a little money. As for now, I'm wearing the one I got for free when I bought my wife's engagement ring :oops: ...

2112108338_b161995b9c_o.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been on my wrist for 20 years...went with me all over the world...Cuba, Middle East, etc.

What's on yours?

sd21bl0.jpg

Never been too much into watches.

For the amount of money needed for a Rolex I could

1) Enter the WSOP final event twice

2)Completely revamp the lift on my Yukon XL....probably an 18" suspension lift, AND drop a big block, supercharged beauty into the beast

3) By 4000 cans of Copenhagen.

Hmmmmm....thats a tough one since 1), 2), and 3) are all attractive choices.

2)Completely revamp the lift on my Yukon XL....probably an 18" suspension lift, AND drop a big block, supercharged beauty into the beast

yes...all true...but my sea dweller has lasted 20 years, and I suspect it will last another 20 years after I give it to my son.:)

So Jet...show us what you keep on your wrist.

It's secretly a Seiko, but they try to hide it by releasing it and similar watches under alternative brands. In this case, "Wired"

The "spring drive" is very intrigueing....If money was no object...the "spring drive" diver would definitely be in my collection.

The "spring drive" is very intrigueing....If money was no object...the "spring drive" diver would definitely be in my collection.

I once had an opportunity to meet the president of Seiko USA. I was struck by how enthusiastic he was about innovation for its own sake without much thought given to immediate (or long-term for that matter) profitability.

If money were no object I'd sport a Philip Patek grand complication Celestial, but I just don't have the $190,000 built up in my watch fund yet, and I can think of something with 4 wheels and a manual transmission I'd rather own for that kind of green:

5102G.jpg

I discovered the Gerald Genta line of retrograde jump watches while on vacation last year, and for $8000 they almost seem reasonable in comparison. The retrograde jump design is interesting in that the hour markers only occupy 1/2 of the watch diameter, and the hour hand will "jump" backwards from 12 to 1 at the end of the cycle. They make additional models with all types of retrograde complications that make for interesting conversation pieces. This one has the minutes on the perimeter and the hours marked in the middle, with the time being 8:11 here:

geraldgenta-thumb.jpg

Currently though I'm rocking your average ESQ, comparable to a mid-range Seiko. Nothing special, but it gets compliments. I guess you could call it the resident salary version of that nice Omega you're looking at, MMD. Could be I'm partial to the color scheme, but that's a good looking piece.

L10468547.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
image.php

Here's mine. I can't destroy this thing. No matter how many times I smack it into walls, bed rails, other peoples faces, whatever. It just won't give up. I even sleep with it on.

10484.jpg
Measures my HR, altitude, speed, etc. It's only on my wrist when I work out. The $15 Ironman is there the rest of the time, it has lasted 10 years.

A watch is a watch unless it does something special.

Got to agree with Jet on this (although he has a lot more earning potential than me, since I left the swap meet)

I would spend the money on trips and time off from work.

I had an Asian dish at a restau the other night and it tasted like cop, I almost vomited. Never tasted any food like that before!

yes...all true...but my sea dweller has lasted 20 years, and I suspect it will last another 20 years after I give it to my son.:)

So Jet...show us what you keep on your wrist.

I dont even wear a watch, Mil.

My cell phone has the time and date on it.

Yo Mil,

My dad had that watch for about 30yrs and it finally bit the dust. Anyways he told me the clasp on that watch is so strong that people have had their hands ripped off at the wrist after getting it (rolex) caught on stuff (car? I don't remember).

mine is the ladies datejust rolex with the mother of pearl face in stainless. i love it but to tell you the truth when i need to see what time it is i look at my treo. also, i never would have bought it for myself...too much $ on something like that, but it was a present from my hubby and thus important to me -- i bought him one the same year -- totally coincidental.
it is a great watch...survived a trip down my kitchen garbage disposal...crystal intact believe it or not.

I'm not big on bling but do appreciate a superb timepiece. Only owned 2 watches my entire life and the 1st one meant the most to me as it was a gift from my mother for being the first and only college graduate in the family. It was an LL Bean field watch made by Swiss Army. Well, ya heard the story before... 0500 comin' out of Hawthorne Hall off of Canal Street makin' my way on foot to Tulane Medicine Ctr during month long externship in anesthesia and I runs into a big black crack phucker with a big I-kill-ya-knife shoved in my face. I'm still here to tell ya the story so yeah, he got the watch. On a happier note, recently purchased the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono(2210.51.00) for about 4 Big Daddies. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy and when I strap this puppy on, the nipples on those hotties-in- the-know become erect. Transforms a laid back Southern redneck into one of those high fallutin', fast talkin' New York Long Island dudes. I mean come on, Armstrong had an Omega with him when he went to the moon in '69 and James Bond 007 had a Seamaster with him in about 4 or 5 of his movies. Those Swiss dudes got TIME encoded into their DNA. 2000 ft., yeah baby, let's strap on some air tanks and check out the Titanic. Precision shiit and it ain't made in phuckin' China. Regards, ----Zip

Those Swiss dudes got TIME encoded into their DNA. 2000 ft., yeah baby, let's strap on some air tanks and check out the Titanic.

Holy crap, I just pissed myself laughing. :laugh:

-copro

Yo Mil,

My dad had that watch for about 30yrs and it finally bit the dust. Anyways he told me the clasp on that watch is so strong that people have had their hands ripped off at the wrist after getting it (rolex) caught on stuff (car? I don't remember).

It's pretty tough, but the Omega's have a strong bracelet....one of the reasons that I've been thinking about getting a new one.