Off Topic: What's a good language to learn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes! Much more than you would think. I have had a few "Is that in Africa?" questions. Lol. :laugh:

No problem! Have you ever visited Lithuania? I go back once every 2 or so years to visit family that's back there..
Africa? Yikes. I think I've only met a couple people who know where Lithuania is. Everyone else is like, "Lithu-what?" But I don't think anyone's wondered if it was in Africa.

Nope, I haven't been to Europe at all. My mom wanted to go when we were younger, but it never ended up happening for some reason. I'd like to visit someday, but first I feel like I should learn the language.

Members don't see this ad.

Africa? Yikes. I think I've only met a couple people who know where Lithuania is. Everyone else is like, "Lithu-what?" But I don't think anyone's wondered if it was in Africa.

Nope, I haven't been to Europe at all. My mom wanted to go when we were younger, but it never ended up happening for some reason. I'd like to visit someday, but first I feel like I should learn the language.

Yes, Afrika. I don't know where they come up with that...It gets a bit tiring after a while, explaining where it is. Especially since people have no clue where the surrounding states are either! Lol.

Aah! You should definetely visit, when you get the hang of the language a bit. I love visiting though coming back to the US is always pleasure.The little perks of average life here are much more appreciated after a visit over there. :p

I learned Japanese for about 13 years, lived there for 2 years working as an interpreter, and pretty much thought that the language would be useless to me in med school; surprisingly, I interviewed with 3 Japanese neurosurgeons in Japanese this interview season and was asked to translate some research articles for my mentors.

I guess just learn whatever interests you--I do not regret learning Japanese, but I do not use it on a day-to-day basis and am frantically trying to learn Spanish, which I definitely need to know!

Last edited: