Off Topic: What's a good language to learn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ploofafa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
~Just a quick little question.~

I suppose it boils down to preference when speaking on non-business terms...but I'm still looking for some insight.

I'm looking for one that is just fun to know / learn. - For example, I was looking at learning Japanese (I hear it is one of the hardest to learn, reading it, that is) as I like to watch certain movies / play certain games in their original state. (Anything by Hiyo Miyazaki, for example.) I've also read that Italian is quite the magnificent language to learn, simply for it's beauty.

Anywho, what is everyone's view on this? - What is your (if you have one) favorite / the most beneficial foreign language you have learned? - What is your advice on the matter? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any sort of culture that you find really interesting to learn about? Any place you'd love to visit and spend a while there (that doesn't speak English)?

I loooved all things French when I was little, so I had a lot of fun taking French in high school. And my dad loves Chinese culture, and his interest led me to take one semester of Mandarin Chinese (and then spend two weeks in China speaking it!). I really enjoyed both of those languages.

I think Chinese is especially cool since it's both harder and easier than French. The hard parts are the characters and intonation on each syllable (but intonation gets really easy if you force yourself to keep up with it from the beginning), but there are no conjugations! And I find the grammar structure really neat.

Sadly, I've lost most of my already meager Chinese through lack of use. I still remember a fair amount of French, though, since I studied it longer, and a friend and I would often speak French with each other (partly to bother our other friends who took Spanish).

When I have more time and/or money, I'd love to take a language and seriously study it to the point where I'm consistently conversational (if not fluent). I have my eye on German.

Anyway, my point is you should find something fun or inspirational. But if you can't think of something there, then maybe just study something you can show off. ;)

Last edited:
If you're talking about practical, learning Spanish is the way to go.
But do what you want! I look Italian for a few years, and I actually got to use my meager skills when I visited Italy in high school after one semester of it. I loved it so much. Like purplesaurus said, if you are really interested in a particular culture or country, go for it. It's a ton of fun. I'd love to get back to Italian and become conversational in it again. Or Spanish. But I took Spanish in high school AFTER taking Italian, and they're so similar that it actually made learning Spanish more difficult!
My BF learned Kiswahili when he went to Tanzania, which is just so friggin cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
But I took Spanish in high school AFTER taking Italian, and they're so similar that it actually made learning Spanish more difficult!

Oh, this reminds me of something. I took Chinese in college, so I had already taken French. Well, on Chinese exams, I found that, if I went through them too quickly, I would often unknowingly put in a French word if I didn't think of the Chinese right away. Fortunately, I'm a proofreader.

Second Spanish for practicality. It's reasonably easy as far as languages go I think -- lots of cognates and the pronunciation is basically phoenetic. I'm a Spanish minor and I'm pretty terrible at speaking it, but I can get by in a pinch and write adequately. It's especially helpful since many of the farm workers in my area are Hispanic, though be prepared to hear people say less than flattering things about you if they don't realize you can understand them!
As far as coolness goes, I find Hebrew fascinating, though I haven't studied it.

Last edited:
If you're talking about practical, learning Spanish is the way to go.
But do what you want! I look Italian for a few years, and I actually got to use my meager skills when I visited Italy in high school after one semester of it. I loved it so much. Like purplesaurus said, if you are really interested in a particular culture or country, go for it. It's a ton of fun. I'd love to get back to Italian and become conversational in it again. Or Spanish. But I took Spanish in high school AFTER taking Italian, and they're so similar that it actually made learning Spanish more difficult!
My BF learned Kiswahili when he went to Tanzania, which is just so friggin cool.

PM me!!! Il mio italiano sta morendo! I love it, it's such a beautiful language. And it's actually useful for deducing the meaning of words with Latin roots. Helped me some on the GRE.

I would go with either spanish, portuguese, mandarin, or japanese. Those all fun languages and are the languages that many businesses look for people who can speak it.

I enjoyed Spanish and it is incredibly useful, especially in so cal but I have always wanted to learn Arabic. The one you pick most likely depends on why you want to learn a language to begin with.

PM me!!! Il mio italiano sta morendo! I love it, it's such a beautiful language. And it's actually useful for deducing the meaning of words with Latin roots. Helped me some on the GRE.

I took 8 years of Latin before I started Italian. :laugh: It made Italian REALLY REALLY easy for me, not to mention figuring out vocab words and some medical terminology!

Spanish for practicality. After that, French because Spanish and French are essentially the same language in many ways, just different in enough other ways.

After that it's a tie between German and Japanese for me. Though Mandarin (or Chinese or whatever) may be more useful in the future....

Australian. Definitely Australian. I mean, then you get to speak with that cool accent!

...and yes, I'm TOTALLY joking.

If you're going for most spoken languages in the world, then Mandarin and Arabic. But I agree, you pick a culture that you find fascinating and then study the language. I've studied Spanish, Hebrew, Persian and French and enjoyed all of them. But to successfully study a foreign language, you must immerse yourself in it completely...(and i love miyazaki too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say latin for usefulness in vet school or spanish for usefulness as a vet. But I really agree w/ some other posters about choosing something fun that you think you can find interesting. Either that or make it interesting! When I was learning German, I reread the german version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone a gazillion times. It helped that I knew the english version by heart :). It was the most fun I've had learning a language by far (and also my most successful!).

~Just a quick little question.~

I suppose it boils down to preference when speaking on non-business terms...but I'm still looking for some insight.

I'm looking for one that is just fun to know / learn. - For example, I was looking at learning Japanese (I hear it is one of the hardest to learn, reading it, that is) as I like to watch certain movies / play certain games in their original state. (Anything by Hiyo Miyazaki, for example.) I've also read that Italian is quite the magnificent language to learn, simply for it's beauty.

Anywho, what is everyone's view on this? - What is your (if you have one) favorite / the most beneficial foreign language you have learned? - What is your advice on the matter? :D

I'm not a big language person, but I am bilingual in Japanese/English... and I have to say, Japanese is a pretty useless language to learn (unless you're going to go there since no one really speaks English there). There aren't enough Japanese speakers in this country for it to even be worth learning, and unless you study really really hard, your comprehension level even for watching movies or playing games is going to be subpar compared to the crappy subtitles/voiceovers. If I could choose, I would much rather be fluent in Spanish or French or Chinese... they just seem so much more useful!

If you're not going to be fully immersed in it and learn from speaking experience rather than a textbook, I wouldn't even bother with it. You won't even be able to count things correctly... The way you count a tree is different from a dog, or a horse, or a car, or a thing (but it's the same as counting a pair of jeans!). For example to count people it's hitori (1), futari (2), san nin (3), yonin (4)... To count dogs, it's ippiki (1), nihiki (2), sanhiki (3)...etc...

Knowing the words and the phonetic system is one thing, but you also need to learn the Chinese characters, which is what got me personally flunked out of the 5th grade.

That, and there are quite a few very creepy people who learn Japanese to be creepy and thus I've become quite weary of foreign Japanese speakers (especially if they're not very good). For some reason, creepy dudes think that I might be flattered if they hit on me in Japanese. It would be one thing if they found something clever to say, but it's generally a line they learned through some creepy anime thing, and it sends chills up my spine EVERY TIME. It's quite aggravating every time I get stuck in a conversation with one of these, because for some reason they seem to think that I would be captivated by their knowledge of samurais, ninjas, anime, and other really random things. I almost want to start talking to them about the coolness of the Pilgrims and George Washington.

Sorry for the rant, but just my 2 cents. My vote is for a more useful language that's not as much of a pain to learn.

I'm not a big language person, but I am bilingual in Japanese/English... and I have to say, Japanese is a pretty useless language to learn (unless you're going to go there since no one really speaks English there). There aren't enough Japanese speakers in this country for it to even be worth learning, and unless you study really really hard, your comprehension level even for watching movies or playing games is going to be subpar compared to the crappy subtitles/voiceovers. If I could choose, I would much rather be fluent in Spanish or French or Chinese... they just seem so much more useful!

If you're not going to be fully immersed in it and learn from speaking experience rather than a textbook, I wouldn't even bother with it. You won't even be able to count things correctly... The way you count a tree is different from a dog, or a horse, or a car, or a thing (but it's the same as counting a pair of jeans!). For example to count people it's hitori (1), futari (2), san nin (3), yonin (4)... To count dogs, it's ippiki (1), nihiki (2), sanhiki (3)...etc...

Knowing the words and the phonetic system is one thing, but you also need to learn the Chinese characters, which is what got me personally flunked out of the 5th grade.

That, and there are quite a few very creepy people who learn Japanese to be creepy and thus I've become quite weary of foreign Japanese speakers (especially if they're not very good). For some reason, creepy dudes think that I might be flattered if they hit on me in Japanese. It would be one thing if they found something clever to say, but it's generally a line they learned through some creepy anime thing, and it sends chills up my spine EVERY TIME. It's quite aggravating every time I get stuck in a conversation with one of these, because for some reason they seem to think that I would be captivated by their knowledge of samurais, ninjas, anime, and other really random things. I almost want to start talking to them about the coolness of the Pilgrims and George Washington.

Sorry for the rant, but just my 2 cents. My vote is for a more useful language that's not as much of a pain to learn.

I second this. I majored in Japanese, not because of cartoons or any of that crap, but because I wanted to do foreign policy work, and I was very much in the minority. If you learn Japanese, you will be able to watch a large number of cartoons where everyone screams all the time, talk to a bunch of greasy white losers with a creepy thing for asian chicks, and have Japanese people stare at you like you've grown a 45-foot horn out of your forehead everytime you say anything (before they answer your perfectly sensible Japanese question in horrifically broken English). Oh, and all your friends will bug you whenever they want to get a lame asian tattoo.

I mean, there are pluses (you can play the good video games early, I did learn that there are some good Japanese cartoons, and the language itself is beautiful, expressive and challenging to learn), but the minuses far outweigh them.

If you want a language that is fun to learn, I advocate for my other language, German. German is pretty easy for English speakers because it has a lot of cognates and the grammar is pretty familiar. It also gives you access to a rich literary tradition, it can be used for intimidation, and it's fun to know what the bad guys are saying in WWII movies :D

If you want fun and useful, go for French. It's the 4th most widely spoken language in the world, useful in France, Quebec, all over Africa and on many islands. On top of being a pretty language, it also has a huge body of great literature, and it gives you a head start on learning Spanish, Portuguese or Italian by giving you a primer on Romance grammar.

PS: Darn you SDN, and your logging me out mid-post and deleting half of what I wrote!!!!

I'm going to also put in a vote for Spanish, since it definitely seems very practical. But it should also be something you're interested in learning, so you can enjoy learning it and using it! I'm currently learning Middle Egyptian, as in Hieroglyphs, because I thought that was awesome and I love Egypt.

If you're not interested in Spanish, I think German is also a valuable language to know and is fairly easy to learn.

Or do every major world language! That would be impressive! :D

I speak French but it's really not all that useful. I try to keep it up by having lots of french speaking friends, but my franglais has been getting more pronounced, which is depressing....I digress. I wish I knew Spanish and German. The Spanish would be seriously nice to know in Cali and I always seem to work for German companies and I get mad because I can't read any of the technical literature lol

I minored in French and spent a semester in Paris. Its a cool language but I gotta say... I went to Japan this summer and it was THE COOLEST PLACE EVER!!! That said, I totally wished I had learned Japanese just so I could get around (by myself) and maybe even live there for awhile. I highly recommend learning some Japanese and rewarding yourself with a little trip.

Also, Japanese is easy to pronounce whereas French took me awhile, and a phonetics class, to really get it down.

Spanish is a wonderful (and fun!) language to learn and I can imagine it would also be extremely helpful for many things down the road like traveling abroad, speaking with clients, etc.

But as far as a neat-to-know and fun language I would say American Sign Language. I'm learning now and it's great fun, easy to learn, and so neat. :thumbup:

german isn't a bad choice. It lets you converse with english hating europeans. Also, if you have english and get german, it's not that difficult to add dutch and afrikaans- both of which are somewhere between english and german.

Me tho? I'm all over finnish. It's a strange language, with really crazy grammar, but zomg, are the boys hot in that country! Well, and they never expect foreigners to have any ability with the language.

If I ever manage that one to a decent degree, I'm planning to do spanish and arabic next.

If I were really serious about speaking languages and being able to talk to people while travelling, I'd make a different list, ordered by number of countries where the language is used and total number of speakers, which would leave me learning French, arabic, chinese, spanish, dutch, and maybe portugese- in some order.

I say learn something you love first. Can't learn that first language if you don't have a drive to learn it. After you've got the first one, you can get another, more practical one.

I vote for the language of looooove

But as far as a neat-to-know and fun language I would say American Sign Language. I'm learning now and it's great fun, easy to learn, and so neat. :thumbup:
This. I took it on a whim and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I tell all my friends about how fun it is. I'm half trying to get someone to take it so I'll have someone to practice with. :p

Next on my list is Spanish, followed by Lithuanian, if I can ever find some sort of book that teaches it well. And for kicks, I'd also like to learn Egyptian or Arabic or something random that I'll probably never use. There are just so many languages to choose from! XD

Been wanting to learn ASL for a while. Are you taking a class to learn it or using a book? If the latter, share please. :D

Actually, ASL is a great idea. That's the next one I want to learn, and I bet it could bring in business to be the only ASL-capable vet in an area.

I wanted to offer a different perspective. I took two semesters of ASL and hated it. It is far more difficult to find someone to converse with than spanish, german, french, ect and about impossible to learn w/o tons of practice with a person. While there is (apparently) some type of grammar, the rules are really loose, nonsensical and based on french. Plus regional differences are huge and there is no standardized vocabulary the deaf use across the country. It takes tons of practice to learn and is probably not terribly useful unless you want to interpret because the deaf mostly know written or even spoken english.

To those of you thinking of learning ASL--you can try to learn from a book but it is about impossible to get some of the hand movements from a drawing.

Omg! I think I know some of those guys! :p :laugh:

I vote for Spanish, or Chinese. (Of course, I learned French and Russsian :) There are a lot of Spanish speaking people in the world and in the US specifically, and China is emerging as a major economic power and a huge country, with an enormous population.

However, if these languages hold no appeal for you, pick one that you love. I love French! I love France, and the French, well... I love some of them. :) I took Russian because I wanted to learn a different alphabet. Russian culture is also fascinating to me. Oddly enough the Russian nobility spoke French, which I didn't know when I started.

I would like to study Arabic as well. I agree with an earlier post -- written Arabic is beautiful. I also think a better understanding of the culture would be useful. Given our wars in Iraq, and Afghanistan we are probably going to be more closely tied with Arab culture in the future.

My ASL class is an actual class, immersion style. There's a no talking policy and everyone follows the teacher then practices with fellow students. Often there are powerpoints to help with concepts.

Gilch is right, though - it's really hard to find someone to speak it with, unless you have deaf family/friends/etc and even then you know so little it's very basic (boring) conversation. And you would need to take many semesters of class to even be able to have a decent conversation as there is just so much to learn! But it's really fun, at least for me and I'm glad I was finally able to take this class.

Also, if you have trouble learning ASL hand movements from a book, there are online resources like ASLPro, which has an extensive video dictionary of ASL signs.

This. I took it on a whim and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I tell all my friends about how fun it is. I'm half trying to get someone to take it so I'll have someone to practice with. :p

Next on my list is Spanish, followed by Lithuanian, if I can ever find some sort of book that teaches it well. And for kicks, I'd also like to learn Egyptian or Arabic or something random that I'll probably never use. There are just so many languages to choose from! XD

Ah! I have to jump in into this conversation (I confess I have been lurking for quite a while now :rolleyes:).

I'm Lithuanian so I absolutely support your choice of learning Lithuanian! :D It's a beautiful language and a beautiful country...Why the interst, though? We, Lithuanians, are not very popular; or well known.

Edit: I'm an advocate for Spanish. It's not a tough language to learn and it is very practical. It my language of choice to study. :)

Last edited:
i took a year of japanese. It is not at all as hard as people say. Easy to pronounce. I also took a year of french, not so easy for me, not easy to pronounce right. Now I am taking free online classes of icelandic, LOVE it. And am doing a minor in spanish, i also want to learn russian and italian.:D

i took a year of japanese. It is not at all as hard as people say. Easy to pronounce. I also took a year of french, not so easy for me, not easy to pronounce right. Now I am taking free online classes of icelandic, LOVE it. And am doing a minor in spanish, i also want to learn russian and italian.:D

Interesting, you chose french for your username.
What is "my dog" in icelandic?

Well, after reading all that, now I want to learn all of those languages... :p I was wanting to learn French, but I have a really deep voice, and I think I sound really weird speaking it.... I would just love to go somewhere someday where there are markets lining the cobblestone streets, with people happily chatting away with each other...bakeries and book stores.... somewhere like that probably doesn't exist anymore, does it? :oops: (I was thinking Italy or France?)

I'm a big foodie (the science and making, I like making for others more so than myself), so I don't know how big a play a given language would have on that. I'm also quite the nature fanatic (not to any unwieldy extreme, mind you), and I love learning about everything that consists within it. :) (Just sort of jotting some stuff down as a note.)

Well, after reading all that, now I want to learn all of those languages... :p I was wanting to learn French, but I have a really deep voice, and I think I sound really weird speaking it....

Bah! Don't let that stop you! If you are American, the French will mock you anyway! ;) (...j/k)

I would just love to go somewhere someday where there are markets lining the cobblestone streets, with people happily chatting away with each other...bakeries and book stores.... somewhere like that probably doesn't exist anymore, does it? :oops: (I was thinking Italy or France?)

Siiiigh... Me, too!

I'm a big foodie (the science and making, I like making for others more so than myself)...

Ha! Me, too! (again!) I love cooking! I keep trying to plan these elaborate dinner parties before I realize I can't afford them, and I don't have the time, anyway. Perhaps this summer.

I think you should learn French! It's fun, it sounds pretty, and I think a lot of classical cooking techniques (or is it only classical French cooking techniques that have been yoinked by other cuisines...?) have French names.

There are tons of markets/bookstores/cute-streets all over Spain! I'm a Spanish major and absolutely love the language. (working on a 30 page Spanish paper right now... which is why I'm procrastinating on SDN!)

Spanish is wicked useful and I can actually understand Italian if I just space-out when I'm listening to it. I love that I can use it both for learning medieval European history and also talking about modern Latino culture in the US-- it covers so many things! this summer I got to go on a walking pilgrimage and explore the countryside of Spain and some of my friends in my department have gone on service trips and study abroads in South America. It's everywhere!

Also just for the record, it's a pet-peeve for many Spanish scholars for people to assume Spanish is "easier" than many other languages. All the kids just looking to fulfill their language requirement take Spanish because they have a racist or stereotypical impression that it's an easy language to learn (even if they justify it as "being closer to English"). Spanish is definitely a challenge and is super rewarding, just like any other language. Don't write it off just because some people say it's a piece of cake! I've worked 9 years to get my Spanish fluency to where it is and it has been anything but easy. :laugh:

Also next on my list is ASL. I find it really fascinating and even though I may not get any opportunities to use it, I'd love to learn it. I've been working on picking up some cued speech sporadically over the years, but haven't been able to concentrate on it nearly enough to use it. (my 2nd major is English and I love the linguistics/theory around nonverbal communication! nerd-alert!)

Yes, France!
I studied in Aix-en Provence for two years, and it is one of the most picturesque places on earth. The streets are lined with outdoor cafes and beautiful trees. However, if you like wilderness, there isn't a scrap of earth in France that hasn't been explored - so no virgin wilderness. On the other hand, the french vehemently defend their rural land, and work hard to support their local farmers, so the coutryside is beautiful. You can walk through an empty field, and trip accross the remnants of a roman villa... very romantic.

Interesting, you chose french for your username.
What is "my dog" in icelandic?

hundurinn minn

pronounced

h(sounded seperatly like huh)
u (as in put)
n (english way)
d(english way)
u(as in put)
r(slightly trilled)
i(as in pit)
n(english way)
n(english way)

m(english way)
i(as in pit)
n(english way)
n(english way)

I've been trying to learn Gaelic - thought I knew a few words until I went to the Shannon Airport. Pretty cool with all the bi-lingual signs. I learned a smattering of Arabic when I was living with the local nationals in southern Iraq and used it daily. I still can't find any sort of letters in the written form. I have noticed that "stop" looks like three men in a canoe, with the two in the back sitting side-by-side, while "slow" looks like one of the men in the back moved forward a bit and everyone is sitting in the boat in tandem. On the other hand, I'm pretty good with the Arabic numbers, which don't look a whole like our "Arabic numerals", other than 1, 2 and 3.

French is a beautiful language and not terribly hard to pick up, it's pretty easy to read/write it, it's getting the accent down to speak fluently that's the hardest part haha. I'm Canadian so French is more practical than Spanish for me, we had to take it in school anyways.

I was born in Hong Kong though so my first languages were Mandarin and Cantonese, both useful if you're going into business/doing a lot of traveling but hard to pick up and maintain it without regular practice/being immersed in it. I have lost most of my Mandarin because of lack of practice and only retain Cantonese because my parents speak it, and there seems to be more Canto-speaking immigrants than Mando-speaking immigrants around here.

I took spanish for a long time and eventually got pretty bored, so I decided to pick up German. I've really enjoyed learning German the past couple years, and have picked it up pretty quickly by immersing myself as much as possible (film, literature, television, college courses).

I would recommend german if you're looking for a language with very interesting grammar (IMO). Also, German history is incredibly interesting, and its nice to be able to look at primary sources (My family is filled with holocaust survivors, so its been especially cool for me to watch post WWII german films and read some of the literature).

Good luck, i'm glad it seems like alot of us hold value in knowing foreign languages!

I'm Lithuanian so I absolutely support your choice of learning Lithuanian! :D It's a beautiful language and a beautiful country...Why the interst, though? We, Lithuanians, are not very popular; or well known.
I'm part Lithuanian, but never learned much of the language (I can say, "I (don't) know. I (don't) understand. I love you." :laugh:), even though I've wanted to for a long time. I tried to get my mom to teach me the language, but she isn't a very good teacher. UCLA has an intensive course over the summers that I almost took last year but decided it was just a touch too expensive. Someday, though!

My username is actually an Anglicized mishmash of the names Aušrinė and Audeja. I got bored one summer a few years ago and looked up ancient Lithuanian mythology, and loved those names. :oops:

Last edited:
I'm part Lithuanian, but never learned much of the language (I can say, "I (don't) know. I (don't) understand. I love you." :laugh:), even though I've wanted to for a long time. I tried to get my mom to teach me the language, but she isn't a very good teacher. UCLA has an intensive course over the summers that I almost took last year but decided it was just a touch too expensive. Someday, though!

My username is actually an Anglicized mishmash of the names Aušrinė and Audeja. I got bored one summer a few years ago and looked up ancient Lithuanian mythology, and loved those names. :oops:

Ah. That explains it! I was born and raised in Lithuania; moved to the USA when I was 9. So I have spent half of my life here and half of my life there. :) I am fluent, but my level of writing is of a 4th grader! :p

There are programs that you can buy and install, similar to Rosetta stone, that have Lithuanian. I believe it's called something like Linguata Lithuanian. You should check it out. I am tempted to do one of the programs myself...just as exra practice. That's a neat idea for a username! Much more original than mine. Lol. :laugh:

Ah. That explains it! I was born and raised in Lithuania; moved to the USA when I was 9. So I have spent half of my life here and half of my life there. :) I am fluent, but my level of writing is of a 4th grader! :p

There are programs that you can buy and install, similar to Rosetta stone, that have Lithuanian. I believe it's called something like Linguata Lithuanian. You should check it out. I am tempted to do one of the programs myself...just as exra practice. That's a neat idea for a username! Much more original than mine. Lol. :laugh:
Neat! Do people always ask what/where Lithuania is when you tell them that's where you grew up? XD

I'm gonna have to look into that Languata Lithuanian program. It sounds pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. :) Thanks!

Neat! Do people always ask what/where Lithuania is when you tell them that's where you grew up? XD

I'm gonna have to look into that Languata Lithuanian program. It sounds pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. :) Thanks!
Yes! Much more than you would think. I have had a few "Is that in Africa?" questions. Lol. :laugh:

No problem! Have you ever visited Lithuania? I go back once every 2 or so years to visit family that's back there..