Offered a Job in California! A few questions!

Started by Albo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Albo

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I currently reside in MI and work for a retail company and they recently opened a specialty pharmacy right outside LA in California. I was asked if I am interested in moving there and being a PIC since I have both specialty pharmacy experience and been a PIC for a few years and I am currently licensed in CALI. For pharmacist that live in California, I wanted to know of some differences and what to expect if I decide to move there.

I looked up houses for rent in Burbank which in the vicinity to where this pharmacy will be and the rent is 1500-2000 for a 1 bedroom apartment. What other things should I consider? Below are some details about myself:

I am 30 and currently single
Give my parents $500 stipend every month
Have a lease for $300/month which I would take with me
I am loan free
I currently make 134k + bonuses which bring around 145K per year - How much should I expect the salary to be in California?
I have over 50K in saving account
 
How much is the specialty paying you?

They didn't give me an official offer. Just asked me if I was interested in moving so once I tell them, I am they will tell me all the details. Doing a google search it seems the pharmacy manager makes around 165k in the area but I wanted pharmacist with personal experiences to tell me what salary I should expect before my company tells me a number.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They didn't give me an official offer. Just asked me if I was interested in moving so once I tell them, I am they will tell me all the details. Doing a google search it seems the pharmacy manager makes around 165k in the area but I wanted pharmacist with personal experiences to tell me what salary I should expect before my company tells me a number.

I am asssuming it’s an independent . In short, anywhere from 50 to 75 dollars an hour. Really varies. Benefits such as retirement plan, paid time off, health insurance plan offered can amount to UP TO 30 percent of benefits. Burbank is a very saturated area , not sure why they have a need to recruit someone out of state. When there is such an abundance of rph, the independent can really dictate terms, not much leaveage.
 
Hello all,

I currently reside in MI and work for a retail company and they recently opened a specialty pharmacy right outside LA in California. I was asked if I am interested in moving there and being a PIC since I have both specialty pharmacy experience and been a PIC for a few years and I am currently licensed in CALI. For pharmacist that live in California, I wanted to know of some differences and what to expect if I decide to move there.

I looked up houses for rent in Burbank which in the vicinity to where this pharmacy will be and the rent is 1500-2000 for a 1 bedroom apartment. What other things should I consider? Below are some details about myself:

I am 30 and currently single
Give my parents $500 stipend every month
Have a lease for $300/month which I would take with me
I am loan free
I currently make 134k + bonuses which bring around 145K per year - How much should I expect the salary to be in California?
I have over 50K in saving account

I've lived in the Burbank/Glendale area, PM me if you have any questions location-wise.
 
All things equal they would have to offer me a large salary increase to make up for the COL differences. Really this move only would make sense if you're looking for better weather and entertainment.
 
Although California is expensive to live in, it's possible to get by cheap. It all depends how "hardcore" you want to be and if you value your time. Just be aware there are changes that may happen. Your insurance rate may change, your salary is an unknown, the job security is an unknown, the excitement of exploring / eating out initially... what kind of specialty pharmacy is it?

Personally, I wouldn't take the job unless they offered me a base salary of 180k. If they need you and they know you're a good worker, they should agree to a raise because you're relocating for them... Just my opinion.