Office of Diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This week I have a meeting with the office of diversity at my state school! I'm excited, but nervous at the same time. Are there any questions I should be prepared to ask during my time there? I spoke with the lady who is the recruiter for their office and the MD who is over the entire program. They both seem AMAZING so far (friendly, helpful, and quick to respond to my emails). Per their email, they want to talk about why I am choosing medicine, etc... My only concern is 0.037% of the class is represented by AA (out of 185+ students) and I believe 0.05% is represent by Hispanic/Latino and American Indian students (I'm AA). Anyways, during undergrad the school I attended did not have a office of diversity. So I don't know what to expect. Any tips would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This week I have a meeting with the office of diversity at my state school! I'm excited, but nervous at the same time. Are there any questions I should be prepared to ask during my time there? I spoke with the lady who is the recruiter for their office and the MD who is over the entire program. They both seem AMAZING so far (friendly, helpful, and quick to respond to my emails). Per their email, they want to talk about why I am choosing medicine, etc... My only concern is 0.037% of the class is represented by AA (out of 185+ students) and I believe 0.05% is represent by Hispanic/Latino and American Indian students (I'm AA). Anyways, during undergrad the school I attended did not have a office of diversity. So I don't know what to expect. Any tips would be appreciated.

Latina/o here. Use whatever skillsets you possess to show them you would be an asset to the SOM, to their Residency Program and tie these to how you will contribute to their local community for URM. If you speak Spanish, use it during your interview to demonstrate competency or fluency.

¡Buena suerte!

How did your meeting with the office of discrimination, I mean diversity go? I bet a lot of people would like to work in that office for a cush job with a grossly inflated salary and no expectations. Maybe someday I can be a dean of diversity. I hope I get a luxury car allowance.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did your meeting with the office of discrimination, I mean diversity go? I bet a lot of people would like to work in that office for a cush job with a grossly inflated salary and no expectations. Maybe someday I can be a dean of diversity. I hope I get a luxury car allowance.

Hey. It went really good! They gave all types of advice that wasn't listed on their website (told me EXACTLY what their adcom's want to see on my application). Also, they told me since I came from a poor home, single parent family, etc... That my GPA and MCAT did not have to be as high, because I have a lot of "distance traveled."

Oh, don't worry! I told the dean of the diversity he should be ashamed of his "overpaid" salary, because he makes too much money. He laughed and said that being a surgeon didn't put food on the table anymore. Crap, I forgot to ask what type of Rolls Royce he drives, my bad.

Any other questions? I've got other stories that will really light a fire under your butt :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Hey. It went really good! They gave all types of advice that wasn't listed on their website (told me EXACTLY what their adcom's want to see on my application). Also, they told me since I came from a poor home, single parent family, etc... That my GPA and MCAT did not have to be as high, because I have a lot of "distance traveled."

Oh, don't worry! I told the dean of the diversity he should be ashamed of his "overpaid" salary, because he makes too much money. He laughed and said that being a surgeon didn't put food on the table anymore. Crap, I forgot to ask what type of Rolls Royce he drives, my bad.

Any other questions? I've got other stories that will really light a fire under your butt :laugh:

I'm happy it was successful. "Distance traveled" and other accounting due to non-race reasons is acceptable for a lower admission threshold IMO.

I'm happy it was successful. "Distance traveled" and other accounting due to non-race reasons is acceptable for a lower admission threshold IMO.
Haha sorry I came off a little rude. I will admit, that is a true statement. It stinks, but that is life.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha sorry I came off a little rude. I will admit, that is a true statement. It stinks, but that is life.

I found it to be creative and funny, even though the intention seemed to be a little sarcasm. Just because we may disagree doesn't mean we have to hate each other.

May I ask how you set up the meeting with the office of diversity? I want to reach out to some for the schools I'm interested in, but I want to make a good first impression.

May I ask how you set up the meeting with the office of diversity? I want to reach out to some for the schools I'm interested in, but I want to make a good first impression.
Yes, definitely! I researched the contact information on MSAR and afterwards sent an email to the Office of Diversity. Before I sent the email, I made sure to research the school and get as much information as I could find (That way I would sound like an informed student). My email went sort of like this

"Dear Dr. McSmartPants,

My pre-med advisor spoke highly of your program and she received her PhD from your school as well. She wanted me to get in contact with the Office of Diversity and learn about the resources that you offer.

Kind Regards,

A Neurotic Pre-med"

His reply

"Dear Neurotic Pre-med,

We are excited that you are considering _______ . You are not too late to apply. You may certainly speak to us in the office. I have CC'd my Recruiter, Ms. Sweetie Pie, who will be happy to speak with you. We all wish you the best of luck with your application.

Cordially,

Dr. McSmartPants"

I showed up 15 minutes early and spent around 1 1/2-2 hours there. Of course, I had specific questions about their college and what grades I needed to matriculate into their SOM. She gave me a TON of resources and a "special" document that tells me what their admission committee is looking for in an applicant. The best advice I can give is to do your research. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as I can!

Reactions: 1 users