Official 2008 EM Match ROL Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Orlando Regional Medical Center – Best overall fit for me :love:
2. University of Maryland – Close second, this place is amazing
3. Johns Hopkins University – Loved the faculty, family in Baltimore
4. University of Pennsylvania – Best research, awesome residents
5. Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center – cool program, faculty
6. University of Pittsburgh – Loved it here, but no work for Mrs UE
7. North Shore – Biggest Surprise, great curriculum, people, ED
8. Christiana Care – Fabulous place, not ready for the 'burbs yet
9. New York Presbyterian – lots of positives, too much commuting
10. St Luke’s Roosevelt – happiest residents in NYC, ++ commuting
11. University of South Florida – great ED, poor feel for residents
12. NYU/Bellevue – amazing experience/faculty, not what I want
13. Mt Sinai – not sold on curriculum, poor feel for residents
14. Thomas Jefferson University – just wasn't feeling it

I made this list over a month ago, and never changed it once. I love 1-4, but I'll be happy at any of them. :luck:

Ever since I left Orlando I've been daydreaming about it. I immediately felt at home with the residents and faculty, I really like the curriculum, I think the program is going in a great direction, and Mrs UE really loves the area. It's a program where I can thrive in a location we both love. Baltimore has always been a great option for both of us, and I would be thrilled at either of those programs. Penn is a wild card - I think it's amazing, but Philly is less exciting for us. As you can see from my list, we decided it may be time to move on from the Big Apple. However, I really liked the programs I visited here (with the exception of Sinai, but I could make it work).

Now, the waiting begins...

Dear UE,

Thanks for all the great contributions, best of luck and enjoy mickeyland. :clap::clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow I'm so nervous about this.....here goes nothing!
  • Orlando Regional Medical Center- rotated here, loved it, I have nothing neg to say except for the 20 shifts a month as an intern (but they still looked energized and happy to me) FL is where we want to end up, makes sense
  • Univ. of Maryland- loved it here too but no ties to Baltimore at all, close 2nd
  • Christiana Care- great program, great people, not completely sold on DE
  • USF- not my fav curriculum, overworked residents, but damn do I love tampa
  • SUNY Downstate- the most diverse program you can imagine, ancillary stuff is horrible though lol
  • FL Hospital- new program, can be a pioneer, ties to Orlando area
  • Jacobi- awesome reputation, tired residents
  • St. Lukes’s- fun residents, seems to cater well to single peeps, parking issues, not best fit for me
  • Morristown- rotated here, loved the faculty and residents, great teaching, location is not for me
  • Mt. Sinai- great rep, nice people, but major parking issues for me bc i intend to drive in.
  • NYHQ- people are nice, program is young, nothing stood out for me
  • LIJ- loved the program director, if I'm going to be in LI I would just rather do 3 yrs
  • NJMS- Newark is not pleasant
  • Maimonides- my first interview for practice, didn't like the location

Nice list, maybe we'll end up together!

Dear UE,

Thanks for all the great contributions, best of luck and enjoy mickeyland. :clap::clap:

No problem. Thanks for the luck (and the clapping!), we'll find out in a few very long weeks...

Members don't see this ad :)
#1 Hopkins
#2 York
#3 Maryland
#4 GWU
#5 Georgetown/Wash Hosp Center

God I hope I don't get stuck in the scramble. :(

Well...no looking back now. Hope throwing my ROL on here doesn't jinx the hell out of it.

1. Highland - phenomenal program; great people; great location...and oh the fun that can be had working a shift after a Raider game. :smuggrin:
2. LAC-USC -more like #1.5; same as above but could only pick one #1 right?
3. BMC - great program just a little too far from home and with harsh winters
4. Cook County (2-4) - same as above but wasn't sure about having trauma as a separate service in the ED
5. SUNY Downstate - great overall; worried about ancillary services
6. U of Chicago - very sexy program; just looking for a 4yr program in nicer weather
7. UCLA-Olive View - a little too close to home
8. Harbor-UCLA - same as above
9. UCSF-Fresno - less than ideal location
10. Loma Linda - less than ideal location
11. Jacobi - didn't feel like a good fit with the PD/residents
12. UCSF-SFGH - a lot of potential, not looking to carve my own program
13. Lincoln
14. BI-NY

Good luck to everyone making these permanent, non-exhangeable, career-determining, life-long decisions in these final hours :hardy: Man up!

1 Indiana - awesome place, strong leadership, laidback staff/residents
2 Vanderbilt - amazing didactics, sickest patients
3 Carolinas - forefront of EM, awesome teachers
4 Wake Forest - super laidback staff/residents
5 UPMC - jeep, residents are happy
6 Advocate Christ - awesome PD with a lot of pull in the hospital, residents super happy
7 Christiana - Nice staff/PD/residents, nicer schedule
8 UNC - seemed like a great place for single residents, very motivated PD
9 Maine Medical Center - Somebody else said this, but I'll reiterate - Nicest people out there, period.

I honestly LOVED all of these programs. UNC would've been higher if I was single. Maine would've been higher if I was more outdoorsish. Christiana and Christ would have been higher if I could afford to live there.

I am all over the place with this list. Honestly, my #1 was pretty clear. Programs 2-5 could all have been #2; this was the toughest part of my list to make.

1. Cincinnati - Awesome program, great residents and faculty, seemingly limitless options during and after residency, a few short hours from family, great fit, Cincy provides fantastic opportunities for Mrs. iridesingltrack, and oh yeah, flying.
2. UC Davis - Awesome county style program but with resources, fun residents and attendings, left coast is home.
3. Maine Med - Amazing people at this program. Great teaching, great city, near family. Limited options for my wife otherwise this would have been #2.
4. Emory - Crazy county program with lots of responsibility from the beginning. Far from family, otherwise, would have been top 3.
5. OHSU - This was my sentimental favorite as PDX is home for me.
6. UF Jax - A big surprise. Great PD and faculty, cool residents and pt population. Affordable housing near/on the beach is pretty nice too. Not academic enough for me.
7. Duke - Another surprise. Dr. Stahmer is an amazing PD.
8. Denver - Funny thing about this program is that after interviewing there it was #1 then kept getting bumped down. Great program and faculty. I wanted a stronger research program.
9. Carolinas - Geography and fit were lacking for me.
10. BIDMC - Fit wasn't great for me; though on paper, this was what I was looking for.

Anyone else log into NRMP multiple times today to make sure their list is certified...or am I alone in my neurosis? :oops:

Good luck everyone!

1. UNM
2. Utah
3. OHSU
4. UCSF-Fresno
5. Carolinas
6. UCSF
7. Davis
8. St. Lukes
9. U of Arizona
10. Jacobi
11. SUNY downstate
12. Yale New Haven
13 UCLA-Harbor
14. BIMDC
15. NYU

Any thoughts?

here goes...

1. Denver
2. UNM
3. UCSF
4. Brown
5. Brigham/MGH
6. Maryland
7. Hennepin
8. U Michigan
9. Boston Med Center
10. Cinci
11. George Washington
12. Pitt
13. Temple

1. UTSW
2. Denver
3. Emory
4. UNM
5. Wake
6. Cincinnati
7. UAB
8. Maricopa
9. UC Davis
10. Texas AM
11. Hopkins
12. Ohio State

now only thing left to do is wait...

What is with all you people posting your rank lists on your very first or second post EVER? Are you former lurkers... or are you familiar faces under aliases??

What is with all you people posting your rank lists on your very first or second post EVER? Are you former lurkers... or are you familiar faces under aliases??

I am pretty new to SDN, joined in December...BTW, I think that a more welcoming approach would be to say something like, "welcome to posting on SDN the more that contribute the more interesting this forum becomes." Right? :thumbup:

Just wondering! I have my own reasons for not posting my rank list, and was wondering if others were going by aliases for similar reasons.

Didn't mean to appear unwelcoming!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. UTSW - a great county program with a mission of public service that aligned with our long term goals. Dr. Wainscott was extremely personable and a great advocate for the program. Also near family which was important so that my kids could be near grandparents.
2. UNM - awesome program director. Family friendly place. Great new ER. Some of the friendliest residents.
3. Cincinnati - probably the best all around EM program I interviewed at with a great program director but far away from family.
4. Vanderbilt - again extremely nice and friendly residents and staff. Probably the group we connected with the most but far from family. Awesome laid back program director and a great chairman.
5. Emory - Dr. Shayne was awesome and the pathology and patient population here was amazing. Negative was distance from family.
6. Carolinas - great program where I'm sure I'd get excellent training but did not connect with residents as much.
7. Denver - another great county hospital but did not connect with the residents.

1) Cincinnati
2) Indiana
3) Michigan
4) Northwestern
5) Vanderbilt
6) Pittsburgh
7) Brown
8) U of Chicago
9) Ohio State
10) Brigham/MGH

Not wanting to jinx myself this year, I will post only non-specific place names.

1. Random East Coast program
2. Random Gulf Coast program
3. Run of mill Southeast program
4. Slightly different run of mill Southeast program
5. Established Western program
6. Upper limits of Southeast program
7. Very established Midwestern program <====== I have no idea how that got in there
8. Less established Western program, but not new

None of these are meant as a slight to any of these programs. I would be happy to match at any of them. I just have to mention that they are all different

The bell has rung! If I match in my top 4 I will buy you all a beer after I come down off my cloud.

1. Cincinnati &#8211; For me, this was the place that had everything right. Only level I trauma center for 2 million people, integrated Peds at a top Children's Hospital, ED very well respected within the institution, ED runs trauma, residents have a high level of autonomy within the ED, progressive curriculum with 6 elective months and no floors, amazing flight program with high percentage scene responses, meeting with Dr. Gibler regularly for CV mentorship, wilderness medicine connections, cutting edge clinical research. It's tough for my fianc&#233; and I to think about not being in Colorado, but Cincinnati is 2 hours from some great climbing in the Red River Gorge and 4 hours from Southeast whitewater. That's enough to keep me entertained for 4 years. The schedule is more conducive to taking trips than at, ehem, certain other places. Insanely low cost of living.

2. Denver &#8211; Rotated here and loved it. The progression from 2nd year Medicine @DH to 2nd year trauma @UH to 3rd year trauma at DH to 3rd year manager/preceptor @UH to 4th year manager preceptor/manager at DH is one of the more ingenious systems I've heard of. I liked how the faculty would let the residents do their own thing and then consult on the interesting cases. It makes them very available for teaching since they don't have to see all the simpler stuff. ED runs trauma and is very well respected, high acuity, fit in very well with the residents, living in Colorado, all the fellowships (US, tox, research, EMS, etc), pipeline to any Colorado job, resident run department. We have lots of friends in Colorado (-) Lack of elective time. Would be hard to do research or any extra suff due to demanding schedule. Non integrated Peds. Lots of transition coming &#8211; old faculty retiring, new Peds ED coming, new main ED at some point.

3. Carolinas &#8211; Loved it. High volume, high acuity, very well respected and autonomous within the institution, incredible faculty who enjoy teaching, incredible location (North Carolina is a kayakers paradise), incredible weather (climbing outside in February not uncommon), strong US, working with Hays and Marx. Great didactics. Family 3 hours away. (-) Lots of off-service time, senior residents do not have a supervisory role in the department.

4. Hennepin &#8211; rotated here and loved it. A county hospital with deep pockets and lots of resources. High volume, high acuity, integrated Peds, strong US, strong ortho, ED runs traumas and is very well respected within the institution, best didactics I've seen with Stab conference every week, Stab room, Pit boss role, Minneapolis is an awesome city. Fiance has family nearby. (-)Cold, lack of mountains, rivers, or rock within a days drive, less attending contact when you're a first and second year as pit boss works closely with attending. Peds, while integrated, is mostly bread and butter.

5. Davis &#8211; awesome location (as in, close to mountains). Very productive faculty in terms of publications. High acuity, very sick patients. (-) ED does not run traumas.

6. UPMC &#8211; awesome location (again, for climbing and kayaking), great reputation and legacy, great research opps, strong EMS with participatory ground and air, lots of sites for lots of exposure to different systems, awesome chill outdoorsy residents. Pittsburgh is an awesome city. (-) lack of penetrating trauma, no supervisory role for the senior resident, UPMC site highly academic, lots of consults.

7. UNM
&#8211; rotated here and had a great time. Sick sick patients that are very grateful for their care. Lots of Spanish speakers. Great locations (i.e. mountains), will start US program next year, have worked out kinks of new facility and have hired new nurses, great trauma exposure which is mostly handled by ED, great variety of pathology. Fiance's family nearby. (-) No supervisory role for senior resident, not as productive as 1-6 publication wise, boarding in the ED

8. Indianapolis &#8211; I would have loved to rank this #3 or 4 but my fianc&#233; said no way. I loved Indy &#8211; what a great place. Low cost of living, cool city with some young, hip neighborhoods. Program &#8211; tons of variety between Wishard and Methodist, very sick patients, see tons of patients, flight program, cool laid back people, awesome didactics. (-) Surgery runs trauma

9. U Michigan
&#8211; Great place. Nice curriculum with lots of unit and elective time, 3 sites for lots of variety. Ann Arbor is awesome, very strong off service teaching, strong Department. (-) worried about what it would be like at University with lots of consultants

10. Fresno &#8211; Cowboy EM where you get to do everything, living 2 hours from Yosemite and 30 min from Kings/Sequoia, great curriculum with lots of elective time. (-) While Fresno is near a lot of cool stuff, it isn't in itself a cool place to live.

11. UC &#8211; Lots of resident autonomy in the ED, sick sick patients, lots of resoursce, strong research, really cool helicotpers with retractable landing gear. (-) Driving all lover Chicago to go to the multiple sites, main site not a level 1 trauma center

12. Albany &#8211; 15 minutes from skiing, 45 minutes from the Gunks (great climbing), great kayaking, easy town to live in, lots of climbers and skiers, medium to low COL, nice variety of pathology, very well respected in insitution, super cool PD would provide great mentorship, enough trauma and urban issues to give you some exposure. (-) Not quite as well known in the academic world, US not as strong (i.e. at time of my interview they did not do pelvic US)

13. Ford
&#8211; Incredible critical care training. Would see everything here. Very sick patients, productive faculty, Manny Rivers, county patients, Ed does trauma. (-) Problem is it's in Detroit.

14. Christ
&#8211; High acuity, High volume, great mix of patients. (-) I missed the academic affiliation and the research environment.

15. Temple &#8211; Cowboy EM where you do everything. (-)Worried that the patient population wasn't diverse enough and that the trauma might take me away from learning medical stuff.

16. UCLA-Harbor &#8211;Another victim of the fianc&#233; veto. Otherwise it would be in my top 5. Residents are awesome and very chill. Faculty are very famous and chill. Patients are very grateful for your service to them. It's cowboy EM where you do everything. The patients who actually get into the ED are the sickest of the sick. Senior residents have a supervisory role. I loved the Redondo Beach area, but my fianc&#233; did not.

17. Maricopa
- Great training, great patients who are very sick, U do trauma. (-) less competitive, hospital does not have a lot of resources. Similar to Temple, I was worried that the patient pop wasn't diverse enough. Where would I see the straightforward MIs?

18. Utah
&#8211; Best location for skiing. Lots of outdoorsy residents. (-) The city and the patient population is not diverse enough for me. Concerns about the new IMC pulling more patients from UH and the IMC staff being totally separate from UH

19. DMC-Recieving &#8211; awesome patient paopulation, lots of sick patients, lots of trauma, ED autonomy, one of the places you see on TV, integrated Peds. (-) Less competitive. It's Detroit. Only place where I didn't fit in with the reisdents.

20. Regions

21. Drexel

Wallowa, great list, and props to you for completing 21 interviews!

Northeasterner looking to stay in the area. Now let's celebrate and enjoy the rest of 4th year :laugh:

1. BMC
2. UMass Worcester
3. BIDMC
4. Brown
5. SUNY Downstate
6. Jacobi
7. North Shore
8. NY Presbyterian
9. NY Methodist
10. UMDNJ Camden
11. UConn
12. Mt. Sinai
13. LIJ
14. Maimonides

So there are some definite compromises but overall quite happy with our list

1. UNM-Sick Patients, Lots o' ICU, Trauma, Great People, Locale and PD
2. U of Arizona-Sick Patients, Awesome Airway, Mt. Lemmon, Hands down the best people I met anywhere, fantastic PD and Staff, Everyone I interacted with made me feel welcome.
3. MCW-Great Patient Diversity, PD, Staff, Flight
4. U of Rochester
5. Grand Rapids MERC
6. UMKC Truman
7. U at Buffalo
8. SUMMA
9. UI-Peoria
10. Akron General
11. ECU
12. U of Iowa

well, I feel bad not posting my list since almost everyone else I know on here has. Also, maybe I will get some closure:

1. Harbor-UCLA: Near family, crazy county experience balanced with academics and potential research mentors, close to many companies hubby could work at. Great rep, obviously, that may prevent riff-raff like me from matching there. :D

2. Emory: Controversy over funding notwithstanding, I had a wonderful feeling from this program, it seems so in-line with my personal philosophy and research interests that it is too good to be true. Geography (on hubby's side) was the only reason this program was not #1.

3. UCSF/SFGH: Yes, I know it is brand-new, but I adored the faculty and the clinical training seems out of this world. I would love to be involved in shaping a new program! Ultimately, what kept this program from being #1 was a combination of the cost of living and current lack of mentors for what I am trying to do. Would be just as pleased to match here as my #1, however! :love:

4. U of Maryland: Great program director, wonderful curriculum, fun residents, and academic opportunities. I like the idea of more county experience, however, and Baltimore is above the Mason-Dixon line. I still would be thrilled to be there!

5. U of Penn: This program would be perfect for me if it wasn't 1) home 2) above the mason-dixon line 3) far from family. The research, the residents, the faculty, etc, are all spectacular. I have a little wanderlust and would be glad to leave for that reason, but also happy to stay for many others.

6. U of Chicago: WOW! What a perfect program for me!!! Complete with a physician-scientist program, fun residents, and a great curriculum!!! I would LOVE to train there, but would HATE to become a human icicle, and anyway, hubby outright vetoed it. This was the highest it could creep up my list. :(

7. Christiana Care: This program really made me have second thoughts about my commitment to hard core research. If I wasn't in such need for mentors doing what I want to do, this place would be perfect. I love the residents, the program, the didactics, the PD, the faculty, the facilities, the blend of community and inner city experience, etc, etc, etc.

8. BIDMC: Sweet program, wonderful set-up, great PD, great residents. I would be very happy to train here if it wasn't in Boston. I can't imagine going anywhere colder than where I am now.

9. UPMC: Another wonderful program that I think I could be very happy at. Has everything I'm looking for, except a little less county than I would like. Pittsburgh was a pleasant surprise, actually, but it was just too small for me and definitely for hubby.

10. Brigham & Women's: I liked this program, but BIDMC's academics were more in line with what I wanted. Also, the city wasn't for me as explained above.

11. NY-Presbyterian: I really liked the residents, NY, and sleepymed, but can not justify spending 4yrs working my butt off without any opportunity to do the kind of research I'm interested in. That being said, the clinical training seems awesome!

12. Jefferson: I was not really feeling the main ED and the commute, though I am excited about the new PD. Besides, if I was going to stay in Philly, I would have to stay home at Penn!

I interviewed at close to 20 programs and ended up with 5 programs I'd be really excited to go to, each of numbers 2-5 could easily have been #1 on the list if it weren't for the others.

1. Advocate Christ - Loved pretty much everything about this program: population, residents, faculty, etc. except for its location within Chicagoland -- I'll have a long commute. Also, not a research powerhouse, but I'd have a couple of good mentors for that.

2. Case Western / MetroHealth - Thought this was an amazing program: great clinician and academician role models/mentors, perfect balance of county/academic clinical sites with diverse populations, excellent resources, no holes, friendly down-to-earth people, location was +/-, a minor downside was a lot of shifts/month (even though they're shorter, so hours-wise the same as anywhere else)

3. Northwestern - Really liked location, research/mentorship/professional development. Liked the residents and faculty. Wasn't crazy about 4-year format, 9 months of ICU and ?lack of diversity in pt. population at main sites.

4. LAC+USC - Probably my favorite PD. Great residents. Amazing didactics. Downsides were format (a year of prelim medicine/transitional, ugh) and L.A. traffic/cost-of-living.

5. Cincinnati - In many ways the best program I interviewed at -- excellent use of 4-year format, great clinical, research, and admin role models/mentors. OK patient population. Strong peds and flight. Residents and faculty were great here, although they are so passionate about emergency medicine it almost became a minus. I definitely want to pursue excellence in my residency training, but I felt this place might be a bit intense for me -- I worked my butt off in medical school and was hoping to go to a residency with a bit more time for leisure and personal (not just professional) development -- not that the clinical hours are any longer here than anywhere else, but I felt like I would be spending a lot of free time/energy on work-related projects here because of peer pressure/culture of the place. Location was also a bit of a negative.

6. - 18. All fine programs, each with things I liked and didn't like. I ranked them because I'll get a fine training and definitely prefer them to scrambling or taking a year off, but I will be a little disappointed, to varying degrees, if I match at one of these programs -- won't have the unbridled enthusiasm of matching at any one of my top 5. I'm not sure it benefits me or SDN readers to discuss what I saw as shortcomings at places that I may well end up matching at for residency or fellowship.

Good luck to everyone!

Glad it is done, I would actually be happy at all these places.

1) Vanderbilt

2) Cincinnati

3) Pitt

4) Maine

5) Hopkins

6) Michigan

7) Duke

8) U of Chicago

9) UNC

10) Case/Metrohealth

11) Brigham & Womens

12) The OSU

13) UVA

14) Indiana

15) Wright State

well, I feel bad not posting my list since almost everyone else I know on here has. Also, maybe I will get some closure:

1. Harbor-UCLA: Near family, crazy county experience balanced with academics and potential research mentors, close to many companies hubby could work at. Great rep, obviously, that may prevent riff-raff like me from matching there. :D

2. Emory: Controversy over funding notwithstanding, I had a wonderful feeling from this program, it seems so in-line with my personal philosophy and research interests that it is too good to be true. Geography (on hubby's side) was the only reason this program was not #1.

3. UCSF/SFGH: Yes, I know it is brand-new, but I adored the faculty and the clinical training seems out of this world. I would love to be involved in shaping a new program! Ultimately, what kept this program from being #1 was a combination of the cost of living and current lack of mentors for what I am trying to do. Would be just as pleased to match here as my #1, however! :love:

4. U of Maryland: Great program director, wonderful curriculum, fun residents, and academic opportunities. I like the idea of more county experience, however, and Baltimore is above the Mason-Dixon line. I still would be thrilled to be there!

5. U of Penn: This program would be perfect for me if it wasn't 1) home 2) above the mason-dixon line 3) far from family. The research, the residents, the faculty, etc, are all spectacular. I have a little wanderlust and would be glad to leave for that reason, but also happy to stay for many others.

6. U of Chicago: WOW! What a perfect program for me!!! Complete with a physician-scientist program, fun residents, and a great curriculum!!! I would LOVE to train there, but would HATE to become a human icicle, and anyway, hubby outright vetoed it. This was the highest it could creep up my list. :(

7. Christiana Care: This program really made me have second thoughts about my commitment to hard core research. If I wasn't in such need for mentors doing what I want to do, this place would be perfect. I love the residents, the program, the didactics, the PD, the faculty, the facilities, the blend of community and inner city experience, etc, etc, etc.

8. BIDMC: Sweet program, wonderful set-up, great PD, great residents. I would be very happy to train here if it wasn't in Boston. I can't imagine going anywhere colder than where I am now.

9. UPMC: Another wonderful program that I think I could be very happy at. Has everything I'm looking for, except a little less county than I would like. Pittsburgh was a pleasant surprise, actually, but it was just too small for me and definitely for hubby.

10. Brigham & Women's: I liked this program, but BIDMC's academics were more in line with what I wanted. Also, the city wasn't for me as explained above.

11. NY-Presbyterian: I really liked the residents, NY, and sleepymed, but can not justify spending 4yrs working my butt off without any opportunity to do the kind of research I'm interested in. That being said, the clinical training seems awesome!

12. Jefferson: I was not really feeling the main ED and the commute, though I am excited about the new PD. Besides, if I was going to stay in Philly, I would have to stay home at Penn!

OK, well since H24G posted hers I suppose I'll post mine : )

1. USC-LAC: The most badass program in the country in my humble opinion. The PGY-1 year is well worth training here. Loved attendings, residents, and curriculum. <3 LA. Fingers crossed. Every word I say about this place jinxes me more, I'll stop. Adored my away rotation.

2. St Lukes Roosevelt: The most badass program in NYC. Amazing training, 3 years, Roja, cool residents. Great U/S. Must not jinx. Also loved my away rotation here. Hopefully they loved me too.

3. Johns Hopkins: I've heard all sorts of things, but I really loved the place & went with my instincts. Plus I'm buying into the 3+1 format, and it's more appealing than regular 4 years. I could see myself fitting in well there. Would love to match here, obvi grobvy.

4. Yale: Top notch U/S, loved the PD, got a fantastic vibe. Great curriculum, attendings, and pt population. Sick pts, New Haven's bad rep is overblown, close enough to NYC, just overall good times here.

5. Brown: Incredible program. Everything a program can offer under one roof, amazing sim, great PD, mostly great attendings, great pt population. Didn't click with residents, maybe b/c I'm a huge dork. There were only 1-2 I could see myself hanging with. Love Miriam, Hasbro, and Providence. First year curriculum major weakpoint, so is lack of resident involvement in research in my decision-making.

6. UCSF: Bittersweet ranking it outside top 5. Loved the system, ridiculously amazing attendings, loved SF, but when push came to shove I was honest enough with myself to know that I'm not motivated enough to go above and beyond to shape the program. I'm content working my *** off and being proactive, but prying turf from anesthesia/trauma/whatever seems like a hassle. I don't like being a guinea pig, but that's 100% me and my lazy self, no knock on this great program. Watch me match here LOL, I wouldn't be surprised, or disappointed.

7. Jacobi: I feel like I got a much worse impression of the residency, specifically the residents, than most. My tour guide was an R2 who just kept rolling her eyes at the interviewees, locked burned out, and annoying as all hell. I almost wanted to tell the PD that she shouldn't be giving tours, LOL. But sadly, she was the rule, not the exception. I met an R2 who I got along well with who in confidence told me she hated it. Whoops. I'm not buying that ancillary services are up to snuff. I did like Monte/cheap housing/reputation of the place/county atmosphere/being in 'nyc'. Loved one of my interviewers (attending, forgot her name). Again, I would not be surprised to match here, and I'd make myself love it.

8. UMass Best program in Massachusetts. Love their U/S. They're rich. They're nice people. They love early goal-directed therapy. Loved the PD & attendings I met. Residents did not rub me the right way, more personality-wise than competency-wise. They seem to know their stuff and get great jobs. The R3's actually are great, unfortunately they'll be gone. Love flying, love the dept. Thank you love, thank you liiiiiiiiiiiiife.

9. BMC: Do not love 1+3. Would be very well trained. Do not fit in with residents here, probably b/c I am not cool. Boston is expensive and cold. They get a lot of trauma, Harvard peeps get the medically sickies. And I know this, maaaaaan. They do not feel well-prepared to handle peds, don't let them fool you, they are sneaky. Like foxes. Or gerbils. But seriously forrealz, they are a solid #3 behind UMass & Baystate. They are smart and get out quickly at the end of shift time.

10. UConn: Love the residents, love the attendings, love the huskies. Sorry but I just could not get over Hartford, and the fact that they're on some kind of probation or somethingorother. I'd like it more if I were more social and fun. And if I read more books. The PD probably didn't rank me b/c I flat out told her that reading is not what I do.

11. Rochester: ++International medicine, only good things to say. It's near the expensive shopping area that is Canada. I like the Buffalo Bills. I liked the cool new attending from San Fran.

12. Baystate: The sleeper of the bunch, I actually loved it here and I think these residents get very well-trained. They were all very nice people, and I wish this place got more publicity. I will probably match here, if at all. I want to get a job near where I grew up [La Jolla/SD] when I'm done, BMC is more likely to get me there. Does that make me a name snob? : (

13 and below = Did not rank MIND YOUR BIDNESS!: Goodnight. And Good Luck!

Exhale.

Great list and good luck! (but by the way, Baltimore is technically Below the Mason-Dixon line - hard to believe, but true) :)

I am west coaster trying to stay here, but if it comes down to it...I will move for a good program!

1) UC Irvine

2) Loma Linda

3) UC Davis

4) UTSW

5) Christ

6) U of Michigan

7) UCSF-SFGH

8) UCLA-Harbor

9) Pitt

10) Northwestern

11) U of Chicago

12) U Illinois-Chicago

13) Louisville

14) MSU-GR

Didn't rank 2 programs I interviewed at...

I am all over the place with this list. Honestly, my #1 was pretty clear. Programs 2-5 could all have been #2; this was the toughest part of my list to make.

1. Cincinnati - Awesome program, great residents and faculty, seemingly limitless options during and after residency, a few short hours from family, great fit, Cincy provides fantastic opportunities for Mrs. iridesingltrack, and oh yeah, flying.
2. UC Davis - Awesome county style program but with resources, fun residents and attendings, left coast is home.
3. Maine Med - Amazing people at this program. Great teaching, great city, near family. Limited options for my wife otherwise this would have been #2.
4. Emory - Crazy county program with lots of responsibility from the beginning. Far from family, otherwise, would have been top 3.
5. OHSU - This was my sentimental favorite as PDX is home for me.

Although i hope you get your first choice i am selfishly wishing you back to the west coast ;)
i didn't interview at Emory but agree with your assessment of the rest. this was all way too hard given the fifteen million factors that played into it. i swear, if i could move the Maine program to Portland, OR it would have won my heart hands down. there were several programs i loved, but geography, etc kept me from being able to rank higher. so in the end my top three were west coast.
good luck & i hope you're not too busy at Cinci to come visit! (or maybe you could just fly west in that sweet helicopter?)

Hi to all the faithful SDNers. It is great to finally see where everyone wants to go. Here is my list:

1. Highland: it seems to be a popular choice on SDN this year. I take this as a positive. At least I know the residency has not had a fallout from the new UCSF program. I rotated here and loved it. It is a great blend of county, university, and community medicine in one of my favorite locations in the country. Nice salary increase to afford Bay Area.

2. Vanderbilt: the residents were the friendliest group I met. The program is strong with very sick patients and great off-service rotations. Amazing didactics with Slovis and the under-recognized Dr. Wrenn.

3. Indiana: best combination of hospitals in the country with Methodist and Wishard. The program is only this low because of the cold weather as I felt the training opportunity was hard to beat.

4. UCLA Olive-View: I also loved this program with the diverse patient experience of county and university (the diversity was important to me personally). This also would have been higher if not for traffic and cost of living. $2300/mo for a 2BR is tough to swallow when they don't pay you any more money than if you worked in Indy.

5. OHSU (Oregon): loved the location but was not sold on the clinical experience. I really tried hard to justify putting it higher but could not get by the lack of volume and procedures. This is my own personal opinion though and please check this one out for yourself.

6. Loma Linda: I loved the PD Dr. Smith. He was very personable and really sold the place. I liked the combo university and county experience here as well. I was not a big fan of the Inland Empire.

7. Harbor: great reputation, it was very expensive to live here. I also did not like that all the off-service rotations were at the same county hospital. The wait time was 24 hours for patients.

8. Cincinnati: great, great program. my main reason for it being this low was location and 4 years. The curriculum was well-thought out (possibly best in the country).

9. Christiana: again, great program, well thought out curriculum, great hours but not my favorite location. Location played a bigger role for some more than others. The hospital is gorgeous.

10-12: Penn, Emory, UT Houston

1. Denver
2. Stanford
3. Cincinnati
4. UCSF-SFGH
5. U Chicago
6. UNM
7. UCSF-Fresno
8. Highlands
9. Northwestern
10. UC Davis
11. U of Arizona

EM Cowgirl, Where have you been all my life?

Signed,

EM Cowboy.

1. ORMC- Great program, great training, community with alot of trauma in nice weather
2. Resurrection- True community program. 2 sites, Trauma II and I. EM runs trauma. Sick patients cause their old and tapped in. Less primary care. Less med refill, drunks, manipulators of the system. Chicago baby with lower hours.
3. UCDavis- Great program, wasnt sure I could live in Sac
4. HCMC- Twin citeis super fun place, Great name but less learning at county IMO
5. UNM- great program in crappy location
6. UCIrvine- nice locatoin, low volume
7. Maricopa- dont speak spanish well, ancillary staff was cynical, residents didnt seem that happy
8. UCSF- San Fran is awesome, program isnt yet
9. Regions-Twin Cities but program is a little hand holdy
10. USF- curriculum is *** backwards
11. Gainesville-Nice program and people, college town wasnt appealing
12. Las Vegas-
13. Mt. Sinai -Holy crap were the people weird here.

Several years ago BKN surveyed EM posters to find out your chances of matching to your 1st choice based on USMLE score. With his permission, I am updating that survey.

If you want to participate, PM me with:

• USMLE score
  • # of places you applied to (estimates are fine)
  • # of interview offers (estimates are fine)
  • Your estimated class rank (upper 10%, upper third, middle third, and lower third)
  • If you are a DO or MD (trying to see if/how it changes anything)
In a few weeks, you can send me where you landed on your ROL. Your information will be confidential. The more volunteers, the better the survey will be. Good luck to everyone.

I decided to add some rationale on my rank list:

1. TAMU-Corpus Christi: by the beach, community hospital, residency opposed only by family medicine, regional trauma center, laid-back & friendly residents, AWESOME benefits

2. UTMB-Galveston: by the beach, trauma center, new program, no moonlighting, academic hospital with many residencies

3. UMKC-Kansas City: major city, trauma center, old program, academic hospital with many residencies, cold weather

4. Maricopa-Phoenix: major city, trauma center, laid-back & friendly residents, academic hospital with many residencies, extremely hot weather, limited patient diversity (prisoners & immigrants)

5. OU-Tulsa: community hospital, trauma center, residency only opposed by pediatrics, new program, 4-year program (first year in internal medicine)

6. UAMS-Little Rock: trauma center, moonlighting on helicopter, academic hospital with many residencies, located in Arkansas

7. TTU-El Paso: trauma center, laid-back & friendly residents, academic hospital with many residencies, basically in Mexico, limited patient diversity (mostly immigrants)

8. LSU-Shreveport: trauma center, involvement with coroner, academic hospital with many residencies, located in Louisiana, limited patient diversity

9. LSU-Baton Rouge: did not rank -- state of city post-Katrina is not a place to raise a family

1. UIC - What an amazing group of people. Faculty are laid back and residents very friendly. Three hospitals are very complimentary. Great fit for my personality.:cool:
2. UofC - Very complete program. Solid community hospital at LGH. Great trauma at Sainai. Good academic experience at UofC. AirCare a plus. Sites are smeared out so driving around may be a hassle.
3.Cook (1-4) - Great program. Very cool people. 8 hour shifts are nice. The grade of responsibility is a little steep for me. Peds experience a little soft. Fourth year a little hard to swallow.
4. Cook (2-4) - see above.
5. Christ - Cool peeps and great hospital. Lack of diversity among residents stood out. Drive to hospital could be brutal from my house..
6. Resurrection - Liked the program and the faculty. Was a little uneasy about the many hospitals in the system.
7. Medical College of Wisconsin - Very fine program. Great faculty, Nice down to earth residents. Wish it was in Chicago. It would be top 3 for sure. Still getting over putting it 7. Would be very happy to match here.

Thanks to all for the insightful posts. A pleasure to (hopefully) enter a field with such cool peeps. Best of Luck to all.

Long time observer, first time participant
can't believe it's finally here

1) Utah: Home, great program all around
2) UIC: Faculty and residents second to none, 3 hospital system with lots of patient diversity, the driving distance between is not bad
3) Christ: Amazing hospital, PD, awesome moonlighting opportunity to help deal with pricey Chicago, residents very intelligent yet personable, drive from downtown a little long, didn't get a great vibe in my interviews or would be higher.
4) MCW: Could have easily been my #1 if it wasn't Milwaukee (sorry), great facilities/flight/PD. Good amount of racial and socioeconomic patient diversity. Once again, no real problems with this program for me.
5) Res: Would be happy here, great work schedule like UIC and Christ, residents happy. Driving between locations seemed a bit much, commute from downtown a real killer
6) Maricopa: Phoenix was nice (although I wasn't there in the summer), are the residents as happy here as at other programs?
7) OSU: Strong all around, not crazy about Columbus
8) Peoria
9) Vegas

Honestly, I would be happy at any of these programs. I think overall, EM just has great programs all over, its hard to really go wrong.

well, since H24G did it... and since she also announced my first choice in *her* list ;) I may as well post some more of my list

1. NYP: It was a perfect fit. I think the curriculum isn't quite as strong as a few of the other places I interviewed at, but I felt like the fit factor was a much more important issue to me. If I match here, I expect to have my a** whipped... in a masochistic way, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

2. Temple: I absolutely LOVED this program. I had the hardest time deciding that I was going to rank this as my second choice. The PD, Assistant PD, and attendings I met were magnificent. Dr. McNamara is phenomenal, Dr. Lex is so much fun. Their grand rounds are the best in the country, they still see a LOT of trauma, and it's a county program. It was my favorite program of the entire interview trail, and I would absolutely love to train here. It was ranked second because i felt like i fit a little better with the NYP residents and also because I love NY (not that i'll be able to see much of it with the schedule that the NYP residents have ;))

3. Drexel: I liked the ICU stuff, old program, Philly is a pretty cool place to live.

4. Cook County (1-4): Intense program, well known. I did not like the prelim year (don't want to do a whole year of medicine at Cook County). Chicago is COLD!!!

5. York: this is a very good program, almost a hidden jem. If I were married and like towns, this would have been ranked higher. The PD is very dedicated to his residents and they really take care of them.

6. Mayo: I love the PD. A very strong, fantastic female mentor. I think the training would be fantatsic here, but I don't really like rochester, Minnesotta.

7. Georgetown: This is going to be a great program. It would be awesome to work with DrQuinn, and I liked their curriculum. I would be happy to match here, I just felt like DC wasn't really the town for me. The newness of the program is also a double edged sword.

8. Cook County (2-4)

1. Hopkins: great feel for the people, like the FAST training (fellowship) 4th year.
2. Christiana: great program, reputation, facility and patient pop/volume. Really take care of the Residents.
3. UConn: best camaraderie I've seen yet, incredible sim training.
4. Maricopa: local, otherwise it would 6th or lower.
5: UMass: 5 star facility, excellant training.
6. Case/Metro: combo with Cleveland Clinic makes this a very strong program.
7. St. Vincent's: great people, program and moonlighting. Too bad it's in Toledo and there are no jobs for spouses.
8. Cooper
9. Baystate
10. Morristown
11. Drexel

well, since H24G did it... and since she also announced my first choice in *her* list ;) I may as well post some more of my list

:eek: I didn't even realize I was doing that! Sorry, I guess discretion ain't my strong point! :laugh:

Awwwwwwww. theCamel gave me props! :D

having just spent the afternoon with many many of the PD's of many of these programs here in NO, you will all have awesome advocates!

1.) USF-Tampa: Rotated there..great residents that were all happy. The ancillary staff was happy and always ready to help. Brand new ED sitting on the bay. Tampa is a fun city and relatively cheap.

2.) UNSOM-Las Vegas: Debated about this one. The program has everything I'm looking for in EMS and research. The faculty are energetic and seem to really want to build an excellent program. Lots of sick patients and trauma. Living in Vegas can be a double edged sword.

3.) Emory-Dr. Shayne is great. Grady has it's political difficulties, but as far as training goes I know I'll walk out of there a strong EM Doc. I almost put this program at 1 or 2.

4.) UT-Houston Wasn't crazy about Houston, but the training seemed outstanding and lots of moonlighting opportunities. The residents were all pretty content. The PD seems to really have a handle on what's good for the residency.

5.) UF-Jax More trauma than you can handle and the residents were a tight group. Lot's of pathology. The faculty were laid back and there's always Atlantic/Neptune/Jacksonville Beach to spend free time.

6.) LSU-NO Only draw back is that extra year....City is on the rebound and uptown is lively and back to pre-katrina living conditions.

7.) St. Vincents Great program, excellent training, lots of opportunities in EMS and moonlighting....But it's in Toledo.

8.) Palmetto-Wasn't crazy about South Carolina and felt there was a lot of emphasis on US.

9.) LSU-BR Football and co-eds...:D

10.) UF-Gainsville Football and co-eds...:D

1. LAC+USC
2. UCSF-SFGH
3. Loma Linda
4/5. Cook County (1-4) (2-4)
6. UCSF-Fresno
7. Emory
8. SUNY Downstate
9. Jacobi
10: St. Luke's Roosevelt
11. Mt. Sinai NY
12. Resurrection (Chicago)
13. Kern
14. Vegas

Although I've been pretty quiet on SDN, I'm glad to have met many of you on the interview trail. I was fortunate to meet a lot of great applicants going into EM for all the right reasons. It will truly be an honor to call all of you future colleagues. Good luck and godspeed.

1. University of Chicago Hospitals :love:
2. UCSF/SFGH
3. Christ
4. Harbor/UCLA
5. MGH/BWH
6. Maine
7. UIC
8. LSU New Orleans
9. Mount Sinai
10. Michigan

Just wondering! I have my own reasons for not posting my rank list, and was wondering if others were going by aliases for similar reasons.

Didn't mean to appear unwelcoming!

well i'm not posting mine until Pinner Doc gives up the goods ;)

all i will say is that there will be a townhouse for sale in Nashville if anyone is looking for a place close to Vandy.

good luck :luck: to all & welcome to posting to the newbies. hopefully you'll keep posting later on when all the ranking/match day stress is over and we're all residents somewhere.
~TM

well i'm not posting mine until Pinner Doc gives up the goods ;)

all i will say is that there will be a townhouse for sale in Nashville if anyone is looking for a place close to Vandy.

good luck :luck: to all & welcome to posting to the newbies. hopefully you'll keep posting later on when all the ranking/match day stress is over and we're all residents somewhere.
~TM

I already disclosed the goods.No property for sale here.
Just curious bout the peeps who were the core of the festivities.
BUMP!

It's interesting how much geography plays in the rankings. People seem to really alter their lists due where the program was located.

It's interesting how much geography plays in the rankings. People seem to really alter their lists due where the program was located.

It's even more amazing how little geography matters if one has to scramble a spot. :D

"You have a spot for me in BFE? I'd love to come to your little hell hole neck of the woods. Sure I can squeal like a pig" :laugh:

It's even more amazing how little geography matters if one has to scramble a spot. :D

"You have a spot for me in BFE? I'd love to come to your little hell hole neck of the woods. Sure I can squeal like a pig" :laugh:

geography played a huge role in my rank list. i suppose if i didn't have the sugar daddy i'd worry about the scramble spot. then again i went to the exit interview last week and calculated that i'd have to make 750K a year to pay off my loans in ten. :scared:

guess that means if i don't match i'll go back to waiting tables wherever my husband lands a job and pay them off in 50 or 60 years instead! :hardy:

Not only did geography play a huge role in my rank list, but it played a huge role in where I applied initially. I would assume this to be common to anyone who wants to be near their own and their spouse's family.

Not only did geography play a huge role in my rank list, but it played a huge role in where I applied initially. I would assume this to be common to anyone who wants to be near their own and their spouse's family.

:thumbup:

Universe_Explorer's system:
step 1: apply to programs in 8 regions Mrs UE is willing to move
step 2: attend interviews in the 4 regions Mrs UE likes the most
step 3: my favorite program in her favorite place gets ranked number one

Happiness is paramount, mine and hers