** Official 2008 Interview Invite Thread **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce924

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a little early but I figured I would get it started. If anyone has
received an interview invite, please post what school and interview date.

P.S. For all SDNers freaking out and thinking "OMG these people have interviews and I don't!!!!"......It is still very early and interviews occur from august until mid next year, so relax.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably just the people who received automatic interviews from UMich.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't worried. I don't have the numbers for UMich at all - I just forgot to take it off my list on AMCAS. ;-)

I think someone mentioned that Pitt also gives auto-interviews.

I didn't apply there, so I am really not sure.

I think someone mentioned that Pitt also gives auto-interviews.

I didn't apply there, so I am really not sure.

I got an auto-interview invite at UMich and at Pitt. Oh, and keep in mind that auto-invite is in no way, shape, or form a guarantee of acceptance, even with good interviews. :D :oops:

Edit: Pitt and Mich both offered me auto-interviews (so they probably have similar GPA/MCAT cut-offs). I just needed to remember that in the haze that was the application process.

Got invited to UPitt about an hour after submitting secondary today, scheduled for 9/7.

dmc-what was your "ethical dilemma" for pitt secondary? i'm having some difficulty.

Got invited to UPitt about an hour after submitting secondary today, scheduled for 9/7.

so everyone who submits secondary applications gets an automatic interview? Or only certain people who are above cut-off lines in GPA/MCAT scores get automatic interview invites?

Almost certainly only people above a certain GPA/MCAT cutoff.

Anybody know what the cutoff is for UMich interview invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what the cutoff is for UMich interview invite?

3.75/36 for in-state and 3.8/38 for out-of-state for those interested in an auto-invite to UMich. Keep in mind that only 15% get interviews this way.

3.75/36 for in-state and 3.8/38 for out-of-state for those interested in an auto-invite to UMich. Keep in mind that only 15% get interviews this way.

I know someone OOS who was offered auto-invite interview at UM with an MCAT of 36. Maybe she lied!!

I know someone OOS who was offered auto-invite interview at UM with an MCAT of 36. Maybe she lied!!

I don't know, I'm just repeating info from that chat with a UMich adcom posted a while back.

I don't know, I'm just repeating info from that chat with a UMich adcom posted a while back.

You're probably right. I wouldn't be surprised if this particular pre-med lied to sound cooler than her classmates.:rolleyes:

Yes but he didn't know the exact numbers either. The MCAT cutoff is definitely below a 38.

I got an auto-invite from UMich last cycle and I had a 36.

Did they grant you an interview automatically after receiving your secondary (even without letters)? I have that 3.8/38 for OOS, but my letters haven't arrived at their office yet. I submitted my secondary (MD only, haven not completed the MSTP one yet) this morning but wasn't invited to anything at all. Darn...

Oh, by the way, do they do that auto-interview thing for MSTP? Thanks.

Like I said, Its a combo of numbers and undergraduate school.
I have slightly higher numbers than you but not from a powerhouse school and no auto invite for me.

Right. It takes:
1. Top school
2. MCAT
3. GPA

I'm just saying that the MCAT (and possible the GPA) requirement is not as high as was estimated during the chat.

Did they grant you an interview automatically after receiving your secondary (even without letters)? I have that 3.8/38 for OOS, but my letters haven't arrived at their office yet. I submitted my secondary (MD only, haven not completed the MSTP one yet) this morning but wasn't invited to anything at all. Darn...

Oh, by the way, do they do that auto-interview thing for MSTP? Thanks.

My letters have not arrived yet, so either it was an automatic invite or someone really likes me there. Maybe mine was just ahead of yours in the pile today? No doubt they had more than a few people waiting to submit from this weekend...

It may have played a factor that I called and asked about the technical problems with the essay portion from this weekend, which have since been resolved. They took down my name/number, and called me back when it was fixed. I submitted 5 min after that, so perhaps they remembered my name?? I have no clue.

I'm also not sure about their MSTP application process with respect to the auto-invites. It is possible that they are holding your app for the MSTP portion if you designated as such in AMCAS? Search the forums, answer might be there.

In the end, everyone needs to stop worrying so much. As long as we've already been verified by AMCAS and are cranking out those secondaries, we're still ahead of the main wave. Take a shot of vodka or something and relax, enjoy the summer a bit! :hardy:

PS - Pitt interviews on M/W/F every week starting in September. When I selected my slot, only Monday was not available in that first week. So it's not as if many interviews have been handed out. Again, just relax!

Is there a consensus day of the week (i.e. Friday) that most schools interview on? Just wondering how my schedule this fall will be affected (hopefully:luck:) by interviews.

Is there a consensus day of the week (i.e. Friday) that most schools interview on? Just wondering how my schedule this fall will be affected (hopefully:luck:) by interviews.

Some schools interview on Saturday. Some interview M-F, some interview M-Th, some interview on Friday, some interview M-W and F... it varies from school to school, so just count on missing at least a few classes.

I'd like to know too, Fridays would be nice :)...

No. Each school has their own system. I actually found earlier in the week to be much more common than Fridays/weekends.

I found in my limited research that most interviews go on early in the week then the adcoms get together later in the week to discuss the applicants. Those may be specific examples I have found though.

No. Each school has their own system. I actually found earlier in the week to be much more common than Fridays/weekends.

Mondays were always my favorite days for interviews. That gave me Sunday to travel and then the only day of class I missed was on Monday since I came back that night.

so...about that umich auto-invite..

do they do it for MSTP?

cuz...with my stats....i should have gotten one a long time ago....

What are your stats? Cuz I know someone who applied MSTP there and got auto interview.

39/4.0

michigan state

2 bachelors and a masters in under 4 years

i'm pretty sure im more than qualified....

39/4.0

michigan state

o_O

Some would say that you're cocky too. :smuggrin:

39/4.0

michigan state

MSU isn't on their "list" for an auto invite.

Robert Ruiz said:
ugrad (Jun 13, 2007 7:20:50 PM)
Is MSU considered one of your "top" undergraduate schools?

Linda Abraham (Jun 13, 2007 7:21:10 PM)
Robert, what makes a quality letter of recommendation?

RobertRuizMichigan (Jun 13, 2007 7:21:55 PM)
ugrad---MSU is a fine school but would not warrant an automatic interview--that being said, if you have those kinds of big numbers, go to MSU and have interest in UMMS I suspect we'd take a very strong look at your credentials.

Accepted.com Transcript.

lol, not being cocky but wow...

that statement is basically UMich slapping my school in the face...

i guess thats why i always feel the urge to justify my credentials whenever i tell people i go to state...

lol, not being cocky but wow...

that statement is basically UMich slapping my school in the face...

i guess thats why i always feel the urge to justify my credentials whenever i tell people i go to state...

You're invite will come in time. No need to get your panties in a bunch. They've got plenty of spots for you to interview. Well knowing that students will always apply to their state schools, I'm guessing the auto-invite process is to get students outside of Michigan interested in their school because a top student only wants to interview at so many places before getting tired, especially if they are highly qualified.

does anyone know what schools are on the auto-invite list? what about duke or rice?

reading this post makes me smile.. because i remember feeling the same way many of you do now, i'm sure. waiting for secondaries (checking you're inbox multiple times a day), filling them out wondering if you're saying everything you want/need to say, waiting to be complete and then waiting for invites...thinking about interviewing. the cycle continues, and its nice to see the new wave of applicants coming in as the we in the old wave move from "pre-allo" to just "allo".

the application process is a humbling, tedious, at times exhausting, exciting test of determination and fortitude. its a roller-coaster - and as such one must expect to experience both highs and lows. just stick with it.

Best of luck eveybody

no, i meant as your undergrad school. someone above said mich state was no on the list, in tht even if you had the req'd cutoffs, the auto invites only are given if you come from a certain school. see what i mean?

reading this post makes me smile.. because i remember feeling the same way many of you do now, i'm sure. waiting for secondaries (checking you're inbox multiple times a day), filling them out wondering if you're saying everything you want/need to say, waiting to be complete and then waiting for invites...thinking about interviewing. the cycle continues, and its nice to see the new wave of applicants coming in as the we in the old wave move from "pre-allo" to just "allo".

the application process is a humbling, tedious, at times exhausting, exciting test of determination and fortitude. its a roller-coaster - and as such one must expect to experience both highs and lows. just stick with it.

Best of luck eveybody

Don't we all want to be in your shoes. :p

I turned in my secondary to the school I am applying ED to last week. I called them this week to see if there is anything else I need to do. They said my file is complete and I should wait to hear from them about an interview in September. September seems late to me....especially for early decision. Does anyone have any thought on this?

I turned in my secondary to the school I am applying ED to last week. I called them this week to see if there is anything else I need to do. They said my file is complete and I should wait to hear from them about an interview in September. September seems late to me....especially for early decision. Does anyone have any thought on this?

That makes sense to me. Here's how I see it happening...

File completetion deadline is Sept 1. With so few EDP applicants, they can knock out the initial review in one meeting. Give the admissions office a couple of days to make copies of the files for everyone. So, I expect the adcom to meet September 5/6 to review secondaries and issue interview invites. Interviews will probably be the middle two weeks in September. They'll have an adcom meeting on September 26/27 for final decisions. Give the admissions office a day to queue the email/send the snail mail. That puts them right up to the October 1st deadline.

Of course, I have nothing to base this on. It's just how I would do it if I were the director of admissions at a medical school.

Thanks your idea seems really logical. I guess I was just hoping I got an interview scheduled a little earlier than that. Thanks for your help.

does anyone know which schools, other than UMich and Pitt, offer interview invites before sending LORs??

it's so exciting to see interview invites starting already...i remember what it felt like last summer. good luck to you all!

and for anyone going to pitt for an interview...PM me if you want a place to stay :) or PM me with any questions about the interview, although i know they don't start for quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.