***Official 2008 MD/PhD Matriculation Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seraph524

M0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm narrowing it down between two schools, but I know a couple of people who have made their final decisions already. It would be cool to see where people end up!

Post and see your future classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea for a thread! I'm nowhere near making a decision myself, but I'm looking forward to seeing where we all end up. :)

Indeed...I still have to hear from Penn and Columbia, and some other little schools like Harvard and Stanford, but I cannot wait to be done with the process! As for now, though, I'll say that I'm matriculating at Cambridge (England, not Massachusetts) :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that this is a great thread...but I too am not completely decided at the moment and am still waiting for a couple more decisions. Anyone think an **official md/phd revisit weekend attendance thread** should be started?

Indeed...I still have to hear from Penn and Columbia, and some other little schools like Harvard and Stanford, but I cannot wait to be done with the process! As for now, though, I'll say that I'm matriculating at Cambridge (England, not Massachusetts) :).

Wow...you are awesome. Congrats and good luck!

Cambridge (UK): Pennquaker08, OncDoc19

Me too for Cambridge, and also like pennquaker I am waiting still for the non-rolling schools.

I agree that this is a great thread...but I too am not completely decided at the moment and am still waiting for a couple more decisions. Anyone think an **official md/phd revisit weekend attendance thread** should be started?

Wow...you are awesome. Congrats and good luck!
Yes, by all means start an **official md/phd revisit weekend attendance thread.** I know of at least one I'm definitely attending.

Me too for Cambridge, and also like pennquaker I am waiting still for the non-rolling schools.

Congrats on the Gates, folks! Not gonna lie, I did a wee bit of webstalking and looked you up on the Gates website...

After much thought and deliberation, the decision has come.

University of Connecticut SOM Class of 201X! YAY! :laugh:

Adding withdrawal schools now.

Hope everything is still going well for everyone!

University of Connecticut: GreenMudPhud

Congrats, GMP. It must feel great to know! (Plus I'm quite partial personally to the northeast :).)

University of Illinois at Chicago: mcdavid65

Hey mcdavid, when did you interview/hear from UIC?

Hey mcdavid, when did you interview/hear from UIC?

I actually had my interview this past Monday and heard from them on Wednesday. I was sending some stuff to the coordinator for reimbursement purposes and she sort of spilled the beans. I didn't get my official letter until yesterday. Did you interview recently by chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually had my interview this past Monday and heard from them on Wednesday. I was sending some stuff to the coordinator for reimbursement purposes and she sort of spilled the beans. I didn't get my official letter until yesterday. Did you interview recently by chance?

I was there in January, but haven't heard anything yet. Apparently that's a bad sign. Too bad, I liked it there. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

I was there in January, but haven't heard anything yet. Apparently that's a bad sign. Too bad, I liked it there. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Actually not as bad as you may think. I told the director I was sitting on an acceptance from BU, and that there was no pressure to let me know one way or another, but that I was sitting. He said earlier that he would try to get those people who had acceptances out of the way first, but the majority of acceptances would come in March, after the last of the groups came through. There's nothing to worry about just yet, so keep your hopes up!

I was there in January, also! I haven't heard anything yet either... but congratulations!!!! It seems like a great program and all the students love it there! :rolleyes:

Actually not as bad as you may think. I told the director I was sitting on an acceptance from BU, and that there was no pressure to let me know one way or another, but that I was sitting. He said earlier that he would try to get those people who had acceptances out of the way first, but the majority of acceptances would come in March, after the last of the groups came through. There's nothing to worry about just yet, so keep your hopes up!

Thanks for the info. I got my first offer just after my interview there, so I don't think that they know I have one... that's cool. I'm fine waiting as long as there is a reason to wait with continued optimism.
:p

Do they have a revisit weekend? When?

Thanks for the info. I got my first offer just after my interview there, so I don't think that they know I have one... that's cool. I'm fine waiting as long as there is a reason to wait with continued optimism.
:p

Do they have a revisit weekend? When?

They have an odd revisit schedule. It's actually only one day, March 27th, but they encourage staying a few days. They give admits up to April 30th to respond, so after that they begin sending out other notices of acceptance. So keep your chin up!

MSSM MSTP: MSTPbound

congrats on making a wise decision MSTPbound! I'm sure you'll be very happy at MSSM!!

Thanks j-w and sol... I am SO thrilled to be done with this emotional roller coaster!

Best of luck with your decision-making everyone!

UCSF: Ariodant

So far the only one in the class. Hope many (i.e., 11) will join me soon.

Congrats MSTPbound and Ariodant on your decisions!! What a great feeling that must be!

congrats Ariodant! now you can just chill until Fall 2008!

Thanks weezy. Now you are just waiting for penn?

The committee is still working like crazy to fill the class, and I'm already poking around for potential rotation labs. Feels weird. "Starting early is good, but you might want to be on the same page as everyone else", told me the MSTP director:D

Thanks weezy. Now you are just waiting for penn?

The committee is still working like crazy to fill the class, and I'm already poking around for potential rotation labs. Feels weird. "Starting early is good, but you might want to be on the same page as everyone else", told me the MSTP director:D

:laugh:

University of Cincinnati: magwi11

Well, it's official. Now doesn't that feel good.

As far as Chicago they offered four spots a few weeks ago and a "few" more recently (Roberta hinted at this in a email she sent us about the revist). There are only about five spots. So I bet they will wait to extend any more offers. good luck!

University of Colorado: Mountain Cow

Sounds like the right habitat for Mountain Cow! Congratulations!

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm going to love it there. Hopefully I will run into some of you in person at the MSTP conference!

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm going to love it there. Hopefully I will run into some of you in person at the MSTP conference!

Will you be in Colorado this summer? Gonna try and go to the National Convention?

Oh, and congrats on making the decision! :D

I'm utterly confused about the convention. Who's invited? And what do they do? I thought it was just a meeting for directors to discuss programs, policies, admissions process, etc.

Will you be in Colorado this summer? Gonna try and go to the National Convention?

Oh, and congrats on making the decision! :D

Yeah, I want to do a rotation this summer and plan to go to the conference.

Ariodant, I understand the conference is for MSTP students as well as directors/administrators. But I will defer to people who know more and have attended in the past.

Yeah, I want to do a rotation this summer and plan to go to the conference.

Ariodant, I understand the conference is for MSTP students as well as directors/administrators. But I will defer to people who know more and have attended in the past.

oooh

uh

I meant the Democratic National Convention in Denver ?

UCSF: Ariodant, solitude

Given that all of the Harvard decisions are out, I can say with certainty I'll be going to UCSF. My overall perspective on the process: I was rejected from my top two choices but got my third, and I'm very happy with the outcome. It might even be a blessing in disguise, and certainly will be better for me on a personal level. On a more visceral level, it's a huge relief to finally know where I'll be spending the next decade.

Anyways, congrats everybody else on their decisions! I'm rooting for Penn to work out for everybody.

Nicely done solitude, congrats to all your success!

Indeed, Solitude, I know you'll be a superstar out there...and I hope you're incredibly happy (which, SF being as awesome a city as it is, I'm sure you will be :)).

Congrats solitude! I bet it feels nice to finally be done with this process. Hopkins' and Harvard's loss will be UCSF's gain. :)

Congrats solitude! I bet it feels nice to finally be done with this process. Hopkins' and Harvard's loss will be UCSF's gain. :)
What goldsonic said. I'm sure you'll do amazing things at UCSF.

solitude, as much as I want Greg Paulus to turn his ankle in this tourney, I'm gonna have to hand it to you. Congratulations on your decision and live it up in Genentech Hall (everyone knows that those will be the fun years.)

UCSF: Ariodant, solitude

Given that all of the Harvard decisions are out, I can say with certainty I'll be going to UCSF. My overall perspective on the process: I was rejected from my top two choices but got my third, and I'm very happy with the outcome. It might even be a blessing in disguise, and certainly will be better for me on a personal level. On a more visceral level, it's a huge relief to finally know where I'll be spending the next decade.

Anyways, congrats everybody else on their decisions! I'm rooting for Penn to work out for everybody.

Wise words here, solitude. Of course, I hope you don't mind my finding it a little amusing that anyone would feel even the slightest bit of resignedness about "ending up" at UCSF.

You're golden buddy. Congratulations, and best of :luck:!!!

Also, good luck to the Penn-bound.

Most definitely...as well as Arnold S's. Can't you just hear him saying, "SAAHHLITUUUUDE!?"

Just had to post again to say thanks to all the new well-wishers. SDN's great :). My fingers are crossed for everybody still trying to sort things out.

solitude, as much as I want Greg Paulus to turn his ankle in this tourney, I'm gonna have to hand it to you. Congratulations on your decision and live it up in Genentech Hall (everyone knows that those will be the fun years.)

haha thanks bro. You go to UCLA I presume? I'm calling it right now, Duke is going to get hot and run through this bracket.

You have some sweet options, where are you gonna end up for MSTP? Is it down to UCLA vs. UW?