**Official 2008 MD/PhD Rejection Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowkat444

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll start the pity party. Did I really have to get it right before my final, though?

Cornell: meowkat444 9/14

Members don't see this ad.

Same here.

Cornell: meowkat444 9/14, jlamacc1 (9/13)

who knows, maybe we'll get an md only interview. still sucks though

Cornell: meowkat444 9/14, marctam86 (i forgot when)

Members don't see this ad :)
who knows, maybe we'll get an md only interview. still sucks though

Cornell: meowkat444 9/14, marctam86 (i forgot when)

Eh, I don't think I'd really be all that interested in MD-only at Cornell. Tri-I is unbelievable, but WCMC by itself?...not so much.

You guys posted at the same exact time. Oh the eagerness of displaying Cornell rejections. I have a sinking feeling that I will be joining this list very soon...

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when)

I'm still under consideration at Cornell (wasn't complete until end of August), but I know that the second they look at my app, it'll be thrown right on the rejection pile! I'll be proud to join such an honorable group!!!

schools take so long to process applications. i wish that i didn't leave all my secondaries until august. from what i'm getting from programs that i call, i won't really hear from them until october at the earliest.

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish)

NYU: Ruz (8/16)

2 down and only 28 left to go!

Case: Inuranic (MD-only invite)
Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish)
NYU:Ruz (8/16)

AECOM: SuperMatt (9/17, snail-mail)
NYU:Ruz (8/16)[/quote]

Another one for Cornell... No love from my own undergraduate school. And the email address they gave out in their rejection letter seems to be wrong too. Did you guys use the [email protected] address to email them to be considered 'md-only'?

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17)

Members don't see this ad :)
Another one for Cornell... No love from my own undergraduate school. And the email address they gave out in their rejection letter seems to be wrong too. Did you guys use the [email protected] address to email them to be considered 'md-only'?

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18)

what rejection letter? they send one snail mail too?

what rejection letter? they send one snail mail too?

Just what I gleaned from the threads but I think the status page only says "you have been mailed your final admissions decision." Which is followed up by the snail mail reject notice.

Just what I gleaned from the threads but I think the status page only says "you have been mailed your final admissions decision." Which is followed up by the snail mail reject notice.

Nope, my status page says I am still under consideration (as of now). I received my rejection letter today.

Nope, my status page says I am still under consideration (as of now). I received my rejection letter today.

Uh oh... I haven't been home yet to check my mail... When were you complete there?

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18) passion4atcg (9/19)

I have the Debbie Downer theme from SNL stuck in my head.

Dartmouth: Inuranic (MD-only invite)
Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18) passion4atcg (9/19)

A Dartmouth MD-PhD rejection, but an MD-only invite? I'll take it for interview #7. At least I have a shot at one Ivy (though I don't know about staying here in NH...).

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18) passion4atcg (9/19), dazlindz (9/18)

A Dartmouth MD-PhD rejection, but an MD-only invite? I'll take it for interview #7. At least I have a shot at one Ivy (though I don't know about staying here in NH...).

Wow, Cornell is rejecting a lot of 40/4.0's. ouch!

For those of you who have heard recently: when were you complete/marked under review? Thanks!

Wow, Cornell is rejecting a lot of 40/4.0's. ouch!

For those of you who have heard recently: when were you complete/marked under review? Thanks!

i was under review/complete early last week. i definitely don't have a 40 though. nevertheless, it is still a wonderful program

i was under review/complete early last week. i definitely don't have a 40 though. nevertheless, it is still a wonderful program

hmmm... I've been complete for 3 weeks. I guess that's still not very long. You can look at it as long as you want Cornell, just as long as you know that I love you :love::love::love::love:!!!

(Do you love me too? :oops:)

hmmm... I've been complete for 3 weeks. I guess that's still not very long. You can look at it as long as you want Cornell, just as long as you know that I love you :love::love::love::love:!!!

(Do you love me too? :oops:)

Oh, boy. I just checked my status (I thought I already checked it after 6PM today. I guess someone is working overtime.) No, they don't love me.

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18) passion4atcg (9/19), dazlindz (9/18) Picklesali (9/19)

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18) passion4atcg (9/19), dazlindz (9/18) Picklesali (9/19), skillmatic (9/4)

Sheesh - I can't believe all you fantabulous candidates are being rejected left and right by Cornell! Most of you have better stats than me - weird. I wonder if it depends on research interests or something? I'm into cancer (and Cornell is notoriously strong in that area) so maybe that helped me? Either way - I'm sorry for you guys and rather dismayed!

I'm sure the karmic interview cycle will give you each a kick-ass interview (in the place of Cornell) soon!

-j

Sheesh - I can't believe all you fantabulous candidates are being rejected left and right by Cornell! Most of you have better stats than me - weird. I wonder if it depends on research interests or something? I'm into cancer (and Cornell is notoriously strong in that area) so maybe that helped me? Either way - I'm sorry for you guys and rather dismayed!

I'm sure the karmic interview cycle will give you each a kick-ass interview (in the place of Cornell) soon!

-j

I heard that Cornell has an incredibly high number of applicants this year. I can't believe so many people want to be in school for eight years!

I heard that Cornell has an incredibly high number of applicants this year. I can't believe so many people want to be in school for eight years!

I don't know if Tri-I redesigned their website within the last year, but the site is excellent and makes the program look pretty sweet. I certainly drooled once or twice when on med.cornell.edu/mdphd...could this account for an app. rise? (certainly we future med-scientists are not THAT superficial! :D)

I don't know if Tri-I redesigned their website within the last year, but the site is excellent and makes the program look pretty sweet. I certainly drooled once or twice when on med.cornell.edu/mdphd...could this account for an app. rise? (certainly we future med-scientists are not THAT superficial! :D)

HAHA. Yeah, I think I probably drooled once or twice too. Maybe we should correlate "visually pleasing websites" with "applicants"

It would have been nice if my first response was an invite, but oh well. : (

Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18) passion4atcg (9/19), dazlindz (9/18) Picklesali (9/19), skillmatic (9/4), goldsonic99 (9/20)

AECOM: SuperMatt (9/17, snail-mail), chylo (9/19, snail mail)
Cornell: meowkat444 (9/14), jlamacc1 (9/13), marctam86 (i forgot when), Ruz (9/12ish), Ziggy08 (09/17), richardlo (9/18) passion4atcg (9/19), dazlindz (9/18) Picklesali (9/19), skillmatic (9/4), goldsonic99 (9/20)

Add to that a cryptic message from VCU:

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

WashU: SirTony76 (9/22)

WashU: SirTony76 (9/22), OncDoc19 (9/22)

Can't say I'm surprised or really all that disappointed. I was shocked they would consider history of medicine applicants in the first place, but the guy responsible for that left WashU this summer.

WashU: SirTony76 (9/22), OncDoc19 (9/22)

Can't say I'm surprised or really all that disappointed. I was shocked they would consider history of medicine applicants in the first place, but the guy who responsible for that left WashU this summer.

How did WashU let you know?

Both very true statements.

Last edited:
Both very true statements.

Does anyone know if this is true at most schools? My WashU rejection cited an increase in applicants as well, but prehaps that is just an excuse.

Does anyone know if this is true at most schools? My WashU rejection cited an increase in applicants as well, but prehaps that is just an excuse.

They said the same thing at Hopkins: last year they had a record number of applicants (almost 600! That's insane), and that they were expecting even more this year. I suppose more people are applying MD/PhD, or applicants are casting wider nets, or both.

They said the same thing at Hopkins: last year they had a record number of applicants (almost 600! That's insane), and that they were expecting even more this year. I suppose more people are applying MD/PhD, or applicants are casting wider nets, or both.

Wow that is crazy - especially considering there are so few spots. Ok, starting to get nervous again.

Wow that is crazy - especially considering there are so few spots. Ok, starting to get nervous again.

Yeah but it is the same people applying to the same schools over and over again, so the numbers are somewhat misleading. You'll be fine!

The people at UTSW said they are seeing a 40-50% increase in apps this year!

$64,000 question:

Does the increase in applicants mean an increase in interview invitations?

According to mdphds.org, there is a 25%-66% chance of getting an acceptance if given an interview. With these increased numbers, do you see this percentage changing at all because of increased interview invitations?

Discuss [said in the fashion of Linda Richman of Coffee Talk fame]

$64,000 question:

Does the increase in applicants mean an increase in interview invitations?
[said in the fashion of Linda Richman of Coffee Talk fame]

My guess is no. Programs only have so much time and staff. It would seem the chance of getting an interview is lower, but not the chance of acceptance once interviewed. I'm sure there is variability by program. Some schools indicate on their website how many students are interviewed each year.

I was rejected from Cornell - I got that message about mailing a final letter a while ago. How long did it take before you got the letter? Did you get an e-mail?

i was JUST wondering the same thing today. where is my letter?!?!?!

a week or so. i imagine it depends on where you live. i live in cali.

i got my online notice in early september. i want my closure. reject me, but give me my letter!

alternatively, dont reject me. its not too late, cornell, to see the error of your ways.