-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official 2010 Neuro Rejection Thread
Started by medsRus
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hopkins. I'm way under qualified for them, but I just threw my application out there to see what would happen, and, well, the expected happened!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hopkins and University of Maryland.🙁
9
95439
Yale
University of Texas Southwestern baby! Yeaaah!!! And I got waitlisted at stupid Colorado. I've gotten interviews at schools with much better reputations so I don't know what they base their criteria on, but....they're both stupid and I hate them lol
University of Texas Southwestern baby! Yeaaah!!! And I got waitlisted at stupid Colorado. I've gotten interviews at schools with much better reputations so I don't know what they base their criteria on, but....they're both stupid and I hate them lol
Then why did you apply to those programs?
9
95439
Then why did you apply to those programs?
That is what I like to call 'a joke'
Yale
Then why did you apply to those programs?
Conventional wisdom states to apply to a variety of programs, from dream programs downwards...
Conventional wisdom states to apply to a variety of programs, from dream programs downwards...
Apply where you would go.
Uni of Wisconsin
This thread is hilarious 🙂
Good to see everyone is keeping their sense of humor about the process ... Remember, in the end, everyone (regardless of pedigree) will agree on one thing -- your success is waaayyy more about what you put into it than your location 🙂 The "best" program in the country can't magically dump the info into your head ...
Good to see everyone is keeping their sense of humor about the process ... Remember, in the end, everyone (regardless of pedigree) will agree on one thing -- your success is waaayyy more about what you put into it than your location 🙂 The "best" program in the country can't magically dump the info into your head ...

9
95439
Apply where you would go.
I'm not sure if you understand this, but it WAS A JOKE. Jooke. You know 'funny haha'? I would have loved to have gone to UT Southwestern, and even Colorado, but they didn't accept me, so I'm making light of it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
95439
Conventional wisdom states to apply to a variety of programs, from dream programs downwards...
Exactly! I applied many places I didn't expect to get into, but you never know. For instance, I just got an interview at Duke! I'd never have dreamed that they'd even look at my application..
I'm curious if both of you were not located in Cali, i.e., are they favoring their "own". I'd like to think (but obviously I'm wrong) that if I could get interviews at both the Harvard programs, Hopkins, and Mayo, that KP would be attainable. Oh well, that's what I get for thinking! 🙄
The thing with prelim programs is that you're competing with those in Anesthesia, Derm (I think), Radiology, and Radiation Oncology. They tend to have really strong applications. So, not only do California prelim programs favor their own, they may favor budding dermatologists with 270+ board scores and AOA. (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point)
I'm curious if both of you were not located in Cali, i.e., are they favoring their "own". I'd like to think (but obviously I'm wrong) that if I could get interviews at both the Harvard programs, Hopkins, and Mayo, that KP would be attainable. Oh well, that's what I get for thinking! 🙄
To further muddy the waters, I am not located in Cali, but my application is not the strongest. I also do not use Kaiser Permanente for my health coverage. Should have applied to Blue Cross Blue Shield Prelim in LA.
they may favor budding dermatologists with 270+ board scores and AOA. (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point)
DOH, I totally forgot about the RO*D to success specialties and their stratospheric numbers! And no, unfortunately, I can't compete with them on that. Oh well, let them eat cake I say!

To further muddy the waters, I am not located in Cali, but my application is not the strongest. I also do not use Kaiser Permanente for my health coverage. Should have applied to Blue Cross Blue Shield Prelim in LA.
But you got a UCLA neuro interview, right? I wish they'd tell me one way or the other already! 😕
Ucsf
By the way, how come you aren't participating in the "official interview" thread?
9
95439
By the way, how come you aren't participating in the "official interview" thread?
Agreed. I'm going to update mine right after this. But I'd like to join the 'kaiser permanente prelim rejection group'! Also U. of Michigan. I can't figure out what schools base their criteria off of. I've gotten some interviews at great, competititve programs, and rejected from some good, semi-competitive programs. WTF?
Agreed. I'm going to update mine right after this. But I'd like to join the 'kaiser permanente prelim rejection group'! Also U. of Michigan. I can't figure out what schools base their criteria off of. I've gotten some interviews at great, competititve programs, and rejected from some good, semi-competitive programs. WTF?
Isn't it obvious that they know you are using them as backups?
9
95439
Isn't it obvious that they know you are using them as backups?
How would they know that when I don't even know that yet?
How would they know that when I don't even know that yet?
They know who they can get based on past experience. They are not going to waste their resources on someone who is obviously out of their league. That's just a guess.
Just like med schools, I know people who have been accepted by the *top-10* schools but were not even offered an interview at some state schools.
9
95439
They know who they can get based on past experience. They are not going to waste their resources on someone who is obviously out of their league. That's just a guess.
Just like med schools, I know people who have been accepted by the *top-10* schools but were not even offered an interview at some state schools.
Trust me, I'm not out of anyone's league...And Michigan is at the same level of many schools I've gotten interviews at.
BTW - let's add UC Irvine to this list! Woohoo!!! 😳/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trust me, I'm not out of anyone's league...And Michigan is at the same level of many schools I've gotten interviews at.
BTW - let's add UC Irvine to this list! Woohoo!!! 😳/
Michigan is a big name school. The department may not be as well known but they can definitely attract some highly qualified applicants. And anything in California is highly desirable. So if you are not an "outstanding" or "excellent" applicant from an average school or at least a "very good" applicant from a top school, be prepared to be rejected by these highly competitive places.
Duke. Oh well. I hate Duke basketball anyway... I keed, I keed.
Warning: Bitterness alert.
I want to thank all the Derms, Ophthos, Rads, Rad Oncs, etc., applicants for making PGY-1 prelim applications difficult as hell for us "mere mortals" who don't have 270s on our boards and aren't top 5 in our class.
Add Kaiser Santa Clara to the rejection list. To add insult to injury, the residency program coordinator made several glaring grammatical errors in the email.
Amos - this is one of the plethora of reasons why I despise the whole prelim vs. categorical route.
😡
I want to thank all the Derms, Ophthos, Rads, Rad Oncs, etc., applicants for making PGY-1 prelim applications difficult as hell for us "mere mortals" who don't have 270s on our boards and aren't top 5 in our class.
Add Kaiser Santa Clara to the rejection list. To add insult to injury, the residency program coordinator made several glaring grammatical errors in the email.
Amos - this is one of the plethora of reasons why I despise the whole prelim vs. categorical route.
😡
Last edited:
9
95439
Warning: Bitterness alert.
I want to thank all the Derms, Ophthos, Rads, Rad Oncs, etc., applicants for making PGY-1 prelim applications difficult as hell for us "mere mortals" who don't have 270s on our boards and aren't top 5 in our class.
Add Kaiser Santa Clara to the rejection list. To add insult to injury, the residency program coordinator made several glaring grammatical errors in the email.
Amos - this is one of the plethora of reasons why I despise the whole prelim vs. categorical route.
😡
I agree and would also like to add Kaiser Santa Clara to the list...
I wonder how much is just straight up regional bias. I've been fortunate enough to receive interviews everywhere I've applied except for Case (mainly because I'm an idiot and thought I'd submitted ERAS to them and didn't -- I only submitted there maybe a week ago or so). I've mostly applied around the Midwest and got my last straggler (Northwestern) this week. I got a Michigan interview some time ago, and while I'd say my med school is pretty good, I wouldn't call it a "big name" and while I'm probably a fair candidate, I'm not the cat's ass either. So I wonder.
and while I'm probably a fair candidate, I'm not the cat's ass either. So I wonder.
this is the best quote i have ever read

sorry for going off-topic.
Finally, I was allowed a Cali prelim interview..woo hoo!
Oooh, congrats! Which one? I'm waiting to hear from California Pacific and the Kaisers.
Oooh, congrats! Which one? I'm waiting to hear from California Pacific and the Kaisers.
Alameda County. Got rejected from all the Kaisers as per above. Don't tell me you are 250+ and AOA!

Alameda County. Got rejected from all the Kaisers as per above. Don't tell me you are 250+ and AOA!![]()
If that's what I need for an invite, looks like I am destined for disappointment.... 😀
I don't think that is entirely the case. The MSPE just came out last week, and people inevitably cancel interviews as the season wears on. However, it would probably be safe to assume that you wouldn't be ranked very highly if you received an invite now, because you will have most likely received an invite off of some sort of wait list.So is everyone assuming at this point that if you've not heard from a particular neuro program, it means you aren't getting an invite?
To make sure not to leave me hanging or confused in any way, I received a rejection from UPenn.🙁
Add me to the list. Out of curiosity, have you also not taken Step 2 or will your scores also not be back by the time ROL are submitted?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rejections til this date:
Sorry to hear that. From the interview thread, though, it seems like you did get a bunch of others. Out of curiosity, was your list based on just not hearing from those programs or actually receiving an email from them?
Good luck!
I hadn't heard anything from Penn so I called them on Nov 10, and they said they wouldn't be offering any more interviews. I got the formal rejection email about 10 minutes after my phone call.
I hadn't heard anything from Penn so I called them on Nov 10, and they said they wouldn't be offering any more interviews. I got the formal rejection email about 10 minutes after my phone call.
Their loss! 😛
Add me to the list. Out of curiosity, have you also not taken Step 2 or will your scores also not be back by the time ROL are submitted?
I took Step 2 CK on Oct 21 but had not gotten my scores back before receiving the rejection email. I emailed them early in the selection process and they said it was not required to have Step 2 scores in to receive an interview if your Step 1 scores were good enough. I guess mine weren't good enough (along with the gestalt of my application materials).
Of note, I also took Step 2 CS on Oct 5, but won't hear back scores until like mid December.
Just got first rejection: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. I guess Harvard wasn't impresses by my professional bull-riding past.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 4K