Official 2010 Neuro Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got first rejection: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. I guess Harvard wasn't impresses by my professional bull-riding past.

I just received a rejection from BIDMC today as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a big, fat "no thanks" from the Stanford Prelim peeps. :smuggrin:

Got a big, fat "no thanks" from the Stanford Prelim peeps. :smuggrin:

Yep, me too. Have I stated how much i hate this prelim medicine business? Kudos to you categorical programs out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a rejection from BIDMC today as well.
Add BIDMC to my list. And University of Chicago, Columbia, Methodist (Houston) Transitional Year, Johns Hopkins IM, and Johns Hopkins Bayview IM.

Prelim invites: 4 (not counting the "blanket invite" that UCSF sent and then immediately filled its spots for)
Prelim rejections: 5
Still waiting to hear: a ton

Not a happy ratio. I should note that the majority of my programs are deliberately categorical.

Yep, me too. Have I stated how much i hate this prelim medicine business? Kudos to you categorical programs out there!

I'll bring the dip to the Stanford IM Prelim rejection club. Chips anyone?

Duke just sent me my second rejection letter. I got the message the first time a few weeks ago, but apparently they wanted to make sure I understand their position.

Duke just sent me my second rejection letter. I got the message the first time a few weeks ago, but apparently they wanted to make sure I understand their position.
ROFL. I got that today as well. It's too bad, because I would get down on my knees every night and pray that the first rejection was merely a mistake. Now I don't have to aggravate my arthritis like that.

ROFL. I got that today as well. It's too bad, because I would get down on my knees every night and pray that the first rejection was merely a mistake. Now I don't have to aggravate my arthritis like that.

Interestingly, I received a notification from UPenn Prelim that their rejection was a mistake. Unfortunately, that was still trumped by my UPenn Neuro rejection. I'm afraid to contact them and say I would be interested to interview for a prelim year only with them as they are probably waiting to say, "We were just kidding. You really were rejected."

I'll bring the music to the Stanford Prelim rejection party, but I won't be staying long because I've got to make an appearance at the Stanford Neuro rejection party that I just received an invite for today.

Hey Analemma! Welcome to the Stanford Neuro rejection party! Beer on ice in the kitchen, snacks on the table over there. Can I take your coat? We're expecting a big crowd.

While I understand ERAS can be a pain, this should be something that programs should strive to avoid.

Last edited:
Alameda County. Got rejected from all the Kaisers as per above. Don't tell me you are 250+ and AOA! :laugh:

Answering your question, I am adding the rejection from Kaiser Santa Clara to the list. Boo.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Just got first rejection: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. I guess Harvard wasn't impresses by my professional bull-riding past.

Just got my final invite to the Boston Three Party rejection party: Partners Neuro rejection.

I feel like this was the only Boston-area program in which I was really interested. Have not heard good things about Tufts or BU from other people on the trail that have interviewed there. Will be at those later.

Anyone know anything good/bad/great/terrible about Tufts and/or BU???

Just got my final invite to the Boston Three Party rejection party: Partners Neuro rejection.

I feel like this was the only Boston-area program in which I was really interested. Have not heard good things about Tufts or BU from other people on the trail that have interviewed there. Will be at those later.

Anyone know anything good/bad/great/terrible about Tufts and/or BU???

Just got my rejection from Tufts today... so I won't comment on them because I'm obviously biased now...

I don't know what bad things you heard about BU, but I interviewed there and I liked it. They have a good training program, friendly faculty and good residents to learn from. Go and check it out yourself.

I was going through these posts & find it so funny that these programs reject a person at this stage but once the same person has been through the grind of residency & applies to them for fellowship with the same scores & 3yrs of neurology training, he/she ends up going to all the fancy programs for an interview & ends up matching in them. I did!! And so will you!!
Rock on guys!!!

anyone not yet heard back from a program? I didn't know programs actually sent rejection letters (until i found this thread just now), so i had assumed i was rejected based on their silence. it seems rude to not notify someone if that is the norm...

- thanks afoofa! just seems weird that some programs send letters to some, and nothing to others

Last edited:
I havent heard back from more than half of the programs I applied to. I guess they are silent rejections. I am an IMG and I guess situation might be a bit different from AMG's. Moreover I applied to more programs than AMG's apply to.

Tufts had the least tactful rejection letter I saw this interview season:

Subject: Residency Application Declined

Your application to the Tufts Neurology Residency Program has been reviewed, and the committee regrets that you will not be invited to interview this year.

Thank you for your interest in Tufts Neurology.
:laugh:

Tufts had the least tactful rejection letter I saw this interview season:

Subject: Residency Application Declined

Your application to the Tufts Neurology Residency Program has been reviewed, and the committee regrets that you will not be invited to interview this year.

Thank you for your interest in Tufts Neurology.
:laugh:
Actually, I respect those kinds of letters. Short and to the point. Much better than a paragraph or two about how competitive it was this year, etc etc.

Actually, I respect those kinds of letters. Short and to the point. Much better than a paragraph or two about how competitive it was this year, etc etc.

Worst is no message at all....

Worst is no message at all....
Yeah, that seems to be the norm for rejections these days... most programs never contact you. At least cut us loose!

Dear program in a big city that has its undergrad campus far far away from the city and program in another big city whose main campus is next to a ritzy yacht club:

I still hadn't heard back from either of you yet and was wondering if it's too late to still get an interview. I'm very interested in your programs.

Sincerely,

An applicant who when she's a program director will learn from your mistakes and have the courtesy to send "thank you for applying, but sorry" notes to all applicants who applied but were denied an interview. There's a reason why most families would rather know that their loved ones have fallen rather than to be just nebulously listed as MIA.

PS - Kudos to UPenn for being considerate and not rude.

-----------

Folks, please do NOT quote my text in a reply. Thanks