Official 2010 USMLE Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FMD212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck all. I have my exam end of March and hope to be the 1st one to post here for 2010.

Members don't see this ad.

You've been studying hard and you know your material so have faith in the knowledge you've gained. You will do fine. I felt the same way and I focused on topics I didn't understand in First Aid rather than reading it again and again but that wouldn't hurt if you have time. I swear even on the test day I was like I am not ready but you know what you will never feel ready for this exam so once you are getting scores you are comfortable with on timed practice tests you are ready. Good luck. I'm sure you will do great!

I pray to God that this remains true when I take mine.
Had to pause studies for a week and now feel like I've forgotten so much.
What's making me nervous the most is when I hear someone say they've done FA 4-5 times !! I am still struggling thru my second pass of the damn thing. Sigh....this is still feel tough.

I know this is a really stupid question..but i was confused..does your score just show up on ecfmg or do they email like a pdf to you?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
You've been studying hard and you know your material so have faith in the knowledge you've gained. You will do fine. I felt the same way and I focused on topics I didn't understand in First Aid rather than reading it again and again but that wouldn't hurt if you have time. I swear even on the test day I was like I am not ready but you know what you will never feel ready for this exam so once you are getting scores you are comfortable with on timed practice tests you are ready. Good luck. I'm sure you will do great!

You're awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write that. I am pretty much preparing the same way you did with Kaplan, Goljan and FA, although dont have time to go thru all of kaplan so just selecting topics I am v. weak in for quick look.
I hope to follow in your footsteps though and get a great score like that or anything near for that matter.
I wish you all the luck on Step 2..go rock it !!

I wanna know this too! Can anybody shed some light?

I took the exam aug. 25th and you get an email stating that your score is available on oasis. The email provides you a link to oasis and you then log in with your ECFMG ID and password. :) the report is in PDF form.

I took the exam aug. 25th and you get an email stating that your score is available on oasis. The email provides you a link to oasis and you then log in with your ECFMG ID and password. :) the report is in PDF form.

I took my test on the same day, but did not receive the email. I hope they didnt mess up my test or anything. :scared:

Hi...
can any one help me out regarding histology Slides.
Im doing theory from kaplan but my weak point is Histo Slides.
What you guys recommend to do? My Exam is in oct, I am getting upset Now ...
Will be great to hear from you guys.
Thanks

Last edited:
i doubt that histo is super important for boards, but google blue histology, they have a bunch of free response and multiple choice histology questions that I thought were great during my histology course

I didn't have a whole lot of histo on my USMLE, but I had a lot on COMLEX. A lot of images in general, actually. Lots of imaging studies. Or that's how it seemed.

But for histo, here's what I did.... I started a power point presentation, and any time I came across a question in one of my Qbanks, or they talked about it in DIT, or there was a drawing of it in FA, then I would google for the image, stick it in the power point, and label it.

I thought it helped.

Hi, Texastriathlete

can I have a copy of your power point? my test day is Oct 7 and I am very nervous now.

Thanks

I didn't have a whole lot of histo on my USMLE, but I had a lot on COMLEX. A lot of images in general, actually. Lots of imaging studies. Or that's how it seemed.

But for histo, here's what I did.... I started a power point presentation, and any time I came across a question in one of my Qbanks, or they talked about it in DIT, or there was a drawing of it in FA, then I would google for the image, stick it in the power point, and label it.

I thought it helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
i doubt that histo is super important for boards, but google blue histology, they have a bunch of free response and multiple choice histology questions that I thought were great during my histology course
Thanks ... that is very usefull website and you are right histo is not super important but i just wanted to go through some common slides shown in the exam , that is why asked :)

I thought it helped.
Hi Texastriathlete

That is a great strategy ..
I wish i could do, but time is too short now.
Can u please share your powerpoint copy ??

Thanks for responding with such a nice advice.

I am doing UWORLD only and it is taking much time to read explanations and to note down important points.
I spend 4-5 hours per Block ... is it too slow? or worth it?
I wanted to know about Kaplan Qbank, UsmleRx and Kaplan QBook... what you guys recommend ? My exam is on 1st nov.
I am done with FA + kaplan books... also doing goljan audio nowadays.
I skipped RR goljan book and will be doing margin notes and pictures from 3rd edition( read 1st edition goljan once ) ... any suggestions regarding qbanks and goljan stategy???

Thanks ,
GooD LucK :luck:

Recent test takers:

How can we monitor time during breaks, since we are not allowed to wear any watch?

I know that I can go to my locker and wear a watch during break. However, walking in and out of the test room, fetching my watch from the locker, and putting it back again for just a short break could make one more nervous.

A better way to relax and rest IMHO is just to stay in my seat and rest for a few minutes before taking the next block. My question is: will the computer display a clock or digit time in between blocks so that I keep track of the time?

Thanks.

Hey guys...i was just wondering...how imp is heme? I know everything is imp..but i have issues with heme.. approx how many heme questions showed up on your guys' exam?

Hey guys...i was just wondering...how imp is heme? I know everything is imp..but i have issues with heme.. approx how many heme questions showed up on your guys' exam?
had a couple of heme questions, know all the basic heme pathologies, sickle cell, thalasemia, etc. and their basic pathophysiology nothing too complicated or rare, first aid 2010 covers all the basics pretty well, if you know what in first aid I think its enough, at least it was for mine.

^ Thanks Kryptik!!

So..i just took an offline nbme..and i got a 73.5% right. I would take the online one's but don't have that much cash...getting 73.5% right correlates to what for a score?

^ Thanks Kryptik!!

So..i just took an offline nbme..and i got a 73.5% right. I would take the online one's but don't have that much cash...getting 73.5% right correlates to what for a score?

About a 210. There are a lot of wrong answers floating around for those nbme's though, so make sure to go through each question.

well i found that at least 10 questions per block were wrong on those online answer sheets so you may want to recheck your score

well i found that at least 10 questions per block were wrong on those online answer sheets so you may want to recheck your score

I did NBME 2, and I have answers that say 'From DR.ESHA who scored an 800 on this NBME' They all seemed correct to me, i checked them like twice. Sound familiar?

Yeah I seem to remember those answers were mostly fine. It's some of the later nbme's that don't have all the correct answers.

Hi, have a question, did NBME1 1 month ago, got 260, today did NBME 3, got 258, checked my answer with the offline version from dr. Esha, who got 800 (288), had 12 different answers, so 188/200. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE, that you score 94 %, and got such a lower score? Are those answers really all correct, seemed to me?

Hi, have a question, did NBME1 1 month ago, got 260, today did NBME 3, got 258, checked my answer with the offline version from dr. Esha, who got 800 (288), had 12 different answers, so 188/200. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE, that you score 94 %, and got such a lower score? Are those answers really all correct, seemed to me?

yea, that's really odd..Just go with the score that you got from the online version..

On NBME #7 a 95% (190/200) was a 264. I think different nbme tests have slightly different scales. Also just with a few mistakes from that offline version (never heard of it so unfamiliar) the percentage would be 92 or 93 which seems to correlate with a 258.

Last week:

NBME form 4 - 89.5% (used SARIMs score sheet which is CORRECT)
free 150 - 90% correct
Last 3 blocks u/r/t of UW: 40/48 = 83% (same score on all three blocks!!!)

Resources Used:

UW, 5 stars
Offline NBME, 5 stars
FA, micro was 5 stars rest was meh
Kaplan lecture notes, mostly pharm and biochem rest was meh
RR 1,5x read through, 3 stars not that great tbh
Goljan audio, used in the gym and while sleeping, 3 stars

Real deal: 250-259/99

Was hoping for a career in IM :(

eshas are very very wrong. A dude called Sarim made a correct answer sheet.

eshas are very very wrong. A dude called Sarim made a correct answer sheet.

Thanks for that quick email. I just checked form 2, and there were 3 questions that were different..otherwise all of them were the same..so she's not very very wrong..but ya..i'm so glad i checked cuz i was really confused as to why she picked those answers. Thank you sooooooo much, and congratulations on that score!!! :thumbup:

All these great email addresses of future doctors to add to spam lists!

You guys should take advantage of private messaging on here, and send your email addresses privately. These addresses will be screen scraped by some bot, and next thing you know, you're getting constantly spammed.

All these great email addresses of future doctors to add to spam lists!

You guys should take advantage of private messaging on here, and send your email addresses privately. These addresses will be screen scraped by some bot, and next thing you know, you're getting constantly spammed.

haha that's why i have diff emails for diff things. ;)

I've done 100% of uworld...Just reviewing first aid now..then i thought i should keep doing some more practicing questions...so started doing usmlerx questions after i finish a system..they seem much easier than uworld..are they just a waste of time? I like how they relate everything to first aid though...

When are you going to do your test?

I push back my test. Now I am doing the second round of UW based on system and memorizing the FA.

I've done 100% of uworld...Just reviewing first aid now..then i thought i should keep doing some more practicing questions...so started doing usmlerx questions after i finish a system..they seem much easier than uworld..are they just a waste of time? I like how they relate everything to first aid though...

When are you going to do your test?

I push back my test. Now I am doing the second round of UW based on system and memorizing the FA.

I'm taking it at the end of october.. That's the thing..i did all of u world one time, taking down extra notes and stuff..the second time..did all the questions i got wrong..third time..all of it..started to repeat itself..and i was getting all of them practically correct..so that's when i decided to be done with u world lol Now i'm just reviewing FA again and again..basically..Then, i was like..i don't want to lose focus on answering questions..so i decided to do usmle RX questions that my friend had..they seem much simpler..so i wanted to know if it was a waste of time to do them??? I have one more NBME to take after my final review too.

You already done 3 time of UW?

I did nbme 6 and only got 225, so I push back my test. Will fo NBME 7 in the middle of Oct, maybe around 16

I'm taking it at the end of october.. That's the thing..i did all of u world one time, taking down extra notes and stuff..the second time..did all the questions i got wrong..third time..all of it..started to repeat itself..and i was getting all of them practically correct..so that's when i decided to be done with u world lol Now i'm just reviewing FA again and again..basically..Then, i was like..i don't want to lose focus on answering questions..so i decided to do usmle RX questions that my friend had..they seem much simpler..so i wanted to know if it was a waste of time to do them??? I have one more NBME to take after my final review too.

I dont think USMLERx is a complete waste of time...I too had a friend who had given me her last 3 months to use since she was done with them. I noticed they were simpler than World but I feel that for me at least the difficulty level of USMLERX matched the actual exam than World did. World gives you the content ofcourse and Rx has the content but the questions are easier and when taking the actual exam I felt the questions were so much easier than World and somewhat the same with USMLERx. I didnt go through all of Rx but made use of it when I wanted more questions on a particular system that I was weak in.

doing more questions wont necessarily hurt you unless you have no extra time to spare

Quick question about qbanks: how did people find Kaplan compared to Rx? It seems like Kaplan has a bunch of other features and the explanations seem better?

Hi. I'm about to take my first nbme after about 40% done on uw cum percent 63%. Thinking about taking 2-3 nbme forms. Which ones do you recommend. I've been using a modified taus method but im not sure if the forms he recommends aren't the best for 2010. Anyway, your input is appreciated. Thanks!

match 2011: It was more like 2 and a half...after i saw the questions repeating themselves..there was no point to keep doing them..i was getting them all right...