Official 2012-2013 Rheumatology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another one to add to the list: University of Miami (FL)

Members don't see this ad.

add two more to the list
Case western reserve metro health
Northshore LIJ

3 more interviews today! (will add to the list)

I was told 10 is a good number. But I still worry someone last year interviewed at 8 and didn't match. Could you imagine you turn down interviews then don't match? To do the process over would probably kill me... not to mention I would be broke.

Members don't see this ad :)
More additions for today:

UConn
Geisinger
St Louis University

Last edited:
Do we need california status letter to apply to the programs in california?

Still no HSS or NYU? Anyone?

This week is slow too. I am not even getting reject letters. I applied to 58 programs and got few interview calls so far. I am wondering is it over or is there a chance to get more interviews.Do programs send the reject letters??

I dont think most programs will send out rejection letters. So far I've only gotten 2 rejection letters and I see that several of the programs I applied to have already sent out invites to some of the other members of this forum. So that means I'm on their "silent" rejection list........or maybe on the waiting list (always helps to be optimistic).
But no, I don't think it's already over. Programs are still sending out invites, I got four more this week. I'm sure we will all get more in the coming weeks.

Thank you lilili for your reply. I wish you good luck with the upcoming interviews.

Additions for today:

Wake Forest

Getting just as nervous as I am excited- best to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious what others have heard about the number of applicants programs are interviewing. Spoke with one PD recently who said they are interviewing 10 applicants for 2 spots. What have others been told?

Curious what others have heard about the number of applicants programs are interviewing. Spoke with one PD recently who said they are interviewing 10 applicants for 2 spots. What have others been told?

I've heard 10 applicants per spot. So if there are 2 spots, they try to interview 20. I think this is hard for the programs since the interview season is so truncated this year.

Still no HSS or NYU? Anyone?

I called HSS, apparently their program director is out of town and they won't be sending out invites or rejections until next week. Kinda makes it hard to plan...

Didn't apply to HSS, but that's reassuring news, best to y'all!

Couple more from end of last week:

KU
SLU
UNC

Still no word from MUSC.

I called HSS, apparently their program director is out of town and they won't be sending out invites or rejections until next week. Kinda makes it hard to plan...

Wow, thanks. That's reassuring then. I'm really hoping to hear back from them, also NYU. Did you call NYU by any chance? ;)

Wow, thanks. That's reassuring then. I'm really hoping to hear back from them, also NYU. Did you call NYU by any chance? ;)

Sorry only called HSS, however they did tell me that August is the most frequent vacation month for attendings and that many program directors are out for the month. I think that's holding up alot of programs.

How many interviews are you guys planning to go to? I'm thinking of going to 20 at most (no, haven't reached that number yet but I have my fingers crossed). Not sure if this is too much or just right. The thought of each program offering only 1-2 positions scares me!

How many interviews are you guys planning to go to? I'm thinking of going to 20 at most (no, haven't reached that number yet but I have my fingers crossed). Not sure if this is too much or just right. The thought of each program offering only 1-2 positions scares me!

How do you have the time (not to mention the money) to do 20 interviews?

You get that much time off from whatever you happen to be doing to interview?

Is season over or should we expect more interviews
my inbox is quiet for past 1 week

Don't think it is quite over yet.

Invite from Duke today.

Plus it seems no one has heard from some programs. Hold onto hope :)

Is season over or should we expect more interviews
my inbox is quiet for past 1 week

Wondering same thing. Got two more today. Week by week, my inbox has been thus:

July 23-27: 2
July 30- Aug 3: 5, and 1 rejection
Aug 6-10: 7, and 1 rejection
Aug 13-17: 8
this week: 2

No real trend, but next week interviews start. So perhaps we're near the end?

Any thoughts??

Btw, not hardly going to all of these. Personally, I'm still thinking 10 at most, more likely 5-8.

Two for me today too, let's send 'em in to RheumGuy. This is after about three weeks of silence, I'm very happy!

Two seems to be the lucky number for today. Got 2 as well.
Don't think it's over yet. A lot of programs only offer 3-4 interview dates. If they do 1 a week in October, then that means they could still wait until late September to send out invites.
Looking at ADTS, several programs have just started downloading, and there's even one or two that hasn't even retrieved our info yet!

Additions for the day:

UCLA
USC
U of Tennessee
Wayne State/Detroit Med Ctr

Sorry but I deleted my inbox as it was full- if I have forgotten a program you have received,, please feel free to send them to me again.

Seems like most people are doing 6-10 interviews. How often do residents not match in rheum?

Last edited:
Few questions/ conversation starters for other topics while we wait for further interviews:

1. Did you get interviews all via [email protected], or some direct emails from program directors/coordinators? If so, what do you make of this difference?

2. Anyone planning on going to dinners the night before interviews? What do you make of their importance, particularly if you a) are tired and a poor conversationalist, b) poor conversationalist just b/c you're nervous, c) don't attend dinner(s) due to your schedule constraints?

3. And back to invites, around the map: anyone hear from Stanford, Mayo, Mass General, Brigham & Women's, Pittsburgh, U of Maryland?

Few questions/ conversation starters for other topics while we wait for further interviews:

1. Did you get interviews all via [email protected], or some direct emails from program directors/coordinators? If so, what do you make of this difference?

2. Anyone planning on going to dinners the night before interviews? What do you make of their importance, particularly if you a) are tired and a poor conversationalist, b) poor conversationalist just b/c you're nervous, c) don't attend dinner(s) due to your schedule constraints?

3. And back to invites, around the map: anyone hear from Stanford, Mayo, Mass General, Brigham & Women's, Pittsburgh, U of Maryland?

The only dinner I've been invited to is Hopkins and I definitely plan on attending, since I am not one to turn down hospitality and free food/drink, plus have no problems with conversation. So I may not be the person to ask on this particular subject. If I'm invited to other dinners I fully plan on attending and enjoying myself.

As far as those other places, I only applied to MGH, Brigham's and Pitt of those and no, I haven't heard a peep from them.

I have gotten direct emails, voicemails, and formal typed letters in the mail asking for interviews. Only 3 programs have used ERAS so far.

Thanks for the replies! Would love to hear more opinions and experiences as well. As for me, got phone calls, emails, and ERAS messages. No hard copy letters that I know of.

As for invites, here are two more that people have added:

Kentucky
LSU

I have gotten direct emails, voicemails, and formal typed letters in the mail asking for interviews. Only 3 programs have used ERAS so far.

I really hope I didn't get typed letters in the mail because I've been on vaycay for 2 weeks! Hopefully all email...That's scary.

Sorry to hear about VCU.

Two additions today are:

UT Houston
VCU

1) Nothing through eras or real mail, all have been through email or even (!) phone calls

2) No invites to interview dinners. I'd go if I were invited though.

How many interviews are you all thinking? Right now I'm thinking about five but am a little nervous about that number.

We'll have to start posting our program reviews soon!

Three more today:

-U of Cincinnati
-U of Minnesota
-Wayne State

Three more today:

-U of Cincinnati
-U of Minnesota
-Wayne State

Mother of God, man. Did you apply to every single program in the nation? :p

Well anyways, good for you! Congrats on all these interviews!

Mother of God, man. Did you apply to every single program in the nation? :p

Well anyways, good for you! Congrats on all these interviews![/

Lol, the programs i list each day are a composite of everyone's interviews based on messages they're sending. :laugh:

Woo hoo!! Check your mailboxes, NYU (HJD) just sent out their invites via snail mail, add another one to the list!

:horns:

I got NIH today. Haven't heard from anyone else yet today..

Got NYU and Pitt today.

Last edited:
**Disclaimer before you read this post: I have been on four interviews so far only because I have busy inpatient months during actual interview season and some programs were willing to work with me during my vacation time. You are NOT behind if you haven't been on any/many interviews. Please don't freak out**

Ok, so quick advice. I have interviewed at 4 places so far and really loved one of them. So much that I'm not sure any other program will fit my needs as well. I do plan on completing about 10 interviews, and am scheduled for a few that I am highly anticipating. I have drafted a letter to the program I liked about why I think this would be a good fit. I don't say that they are my first choice, but express strong interest none the less. Is it ok to send a letter like that so soon in the season, or should I wait until later when I've interviewed more places and know for sure?

Hi LadyJubilee,

Just my preference, but I'd probably send a thank you now, then wait till later in the application season for a more full letter.

Add:
-University of Maryland

I got an interview from Pitt today as well. Still no word from HSS!

UPDATED LIST of INTERVIEW INVITATIONS OFFERED - 8/29/2012

AECOM - Bronx, NY
Baylor
Beth Israel Deaconess - Boston, Mass
Case Western Reserve - Metro Health
Cooper - Camden, NJ
Cleveland Clinic
Colorado
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Geisinger
Georgetown
Georgia Health Sciences
Indiana
Iowa
Johns Hopkins
Kansas University
Kentucky
LSU
Mayo Clinic in Florida
Med Coll of Wisconsin
Nebraska
National Institutes of Health
Northshore Long Island Jewish
NYU (HJD)
Ohio State
Oregon Health Sciences
Pitt
Rush
Sinai (NY)
St Louis University
SUNY Upstate
Temple
Tufts
UC Davis
UCSD
UCSF
U Chicago
U Cincinnati
UCLA
UConn
U of Maryland
U of Miami (that Miami) - FL
U of Minnesota
UNC
U Penn
USC
U of Tennessee
U Texas Houston
U Texas Southwestern
UVA
U Washington
U Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Vermont
Wake Forest
Wayne State - Detroit, MI
Winthrop

Rejections from:
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCSF
VCU

:boom:

Hi LadyJubilee,

Just my preference, but I'd probably send a thank you now, then wait till later in the application season for a more full letter.

Add:
-University of Maryland

You're probably right. I want them to know I'm interested, but the long letter is too soon. Thanks!