Official 2012-2013 Rheumatology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for updting the list Hero of Chaos... I was thinking we should send out a master list again.

Few more that people have added today:

Boston University
Northwestern
U of Michigan
U of South Florida
VCU

Rejection: Wash U/Barnes Jewish

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A couple others people have received:

-Brown
-Roger Williams

I'll put up master list late next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Three more from emails over the weekend:

-Arkansas
-Loma Linda
-Thomas Jefferson

University of Florida
MUSC

Sorry if these are repeats.

Curious if we could spark more conversation and information-sharing than just what interviews we have. :)

One question I have is: what have people heard about University of Maryland's program? Or Dartmouth? Yale? How's the diversity of pathology? The emphasis on research vs clinical? Is everyone interviewing at Johns Hopkins looking to do research?

HSS sent out their rejection letters at least, got one of those. OH WELL, on to bigger better things.

Is there going to be scramble after NRMP match?

Sorry to hear about HSS, but sounds like you have some other strong interviews!

Agreed, good point. I know so little about most of the programs I applied to, since rheum is such a small field to begin with and many programs don't have much info online. Frankly, I don't know much about any program, save for the one I rotated through as a resident...

As an aside, how many interviews are you guys scheduling? The timing is tight this year, obviously. I think I can do about 15 max, any more would be pushing it for me, personally.

How about some discussion on job prospects after residency and salary?
When I was at an interview, one of the fellows said he was already looking for next yr (june) when he graduates.
I have had a lot of negativity by my colleagues about the prospects of the field. This will not change my mind because I enjoy the fields. Let me exemplify: obese hospitalist- "are you applying to fellowship?"
Me: " yep! Sure am. Rheum!!!"
Obese hating hospitalist: " ugh, why, work harder and make less money"
Me: .... Quiet didn't say anything, walked away, wanted to kick the guy in the nuts, cuz he is a known hating troll, anyhow, I had another one of my arttendings who wanted me to go into CCM say all I was going to see was fms, which I know is not necessarily true. I am curious to hear others interactions and learn about prospects after fellowship.
Thanks guys!

Would like to know if anyone has advice on thank you notes. We usually interview with 5-6 attendings and even more at times. Do we have to send thank you letters to everyone we interviewed with or sending it to the program director/chief of division and associate program director is enough?

Reactions: 1 user
How about some discussion on job prospects after residency and salary?
When I was at an interview, one of the fellows said he was already looking for next yr (june) when he graduates.
I have had a lot of negativity by my colleagues about the prospects of the field. This will not change my mind because I enjoy the fields. Let me exemplify: obese hospitalist- "are you applying to fellowship?"
Me: " yep! Sure am. Rheum!!!"
Obese hating hospitalist: " ugh, why, work harder and make less money"
Me: .... Quiet didn't say anything, walked away, wanted to kick the guy in the nuts, cuz he is a known hating troll, anyhow, I had another one of my arttendings who wanted me to go into CCM say all I was going to see was fms, which I know is not necessarily true. I am curious to hear others interactions and learn about prospects after fellowship.
Thanks guys!

Maybe it's regional, I've gotten lots of positive reactions to applying to rheum (though always mixed with a little surprise). Plus, the job prospects seem great, the fellows seem to have plenty of job opportunities. PCPs mostly take the fibromyalgia pts here. Besides, surveys show that that hospitalist, while making more money, will be burnt out soon, while we become the happiest docs around. I see few drawbacks! Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding 2 more to the list: Oklahoma, and University of Massachusetts.

So far, all the 2nd yr fellows I've met during the interviews said they had no problem finding jobs. Starting salaries Ive heard of ranged from 170 to 300T.

Anyone here going to Northwestern or Loyola in Chicago? Pls message me! Thanks

So I havent heard much in weeks now. I didnt get a rejection from HSS but also no invite. Still havent heard from the Boston programs. Maybe this is it? It is late September now after all. I think we should start talking about our experiences on the trail thus far. What do you guys think?

Maybe it's regional, I've gotten lots of positive reactions to applying to rheum (though always mixed with a little surprise). Plus, the job prospects seem great, the fellows seem to have plenty of job opportunities. PCPs mostly take the fibromyalgia pts here. Besides, surveys show that that hospitalist, while making more money, will be burnt out soon, while we become the happiest docs around. I see few drawbacks! Anyone else?

I've also had pretty positive responses. Mostly because no one else knows how rheum works! I know we wont make as much money, but we're supposed to be the happiest docs now! Dont let them get you down!

Would like to know if anyone has advice on thank you notes. We usually interview with 5-6 attendings and even more at times. Do we have to send thank you letters to everyone we interviewed with or sending it to the program director/chief of division and associate program director is enough?

Not sure about that either. I was gonna send emails to everyone and maybe cards to the PDs? Especially for the programs I liked.

MGH just sent out invites, very late into the season or maybe I'm just getting it late. Anyways, I don't think I saw them on the list so, can add that one.

MGH just sent out invites, very late into the season or maybe I'm just getting it late. Anyways, I don't think I saw them on the list so, can add that one.

Wow, congrats! Did they send it via email?

We need to liven things up in here! What are the major things on your lists as far as how to evaluate programs? Some of the things on mine:

Ultrasound course
Number of hospitals/diversity of training
Continuity clinic
Research opportunities/funding
City, cost of living

We need to liven things up in here! What are the major things on your lists as far as how to evaluate programs? Some of the things on mine:

Ultrasound course
Number of hospitals/diversity of training
Continuity clinic
Research opportunities/funding
City, cost of living

I think the things you listed are all high priorities for me too. I'd add size of faculty (not too big- those places seem more impersonal on interviews), and city relative to family location.

Is anyone feeling burnt out on interviews yet? I've done 9 and now I don't have much energy for my last 2!

Wow, congrats! Did they send it via email?
Yeah, they emailed the invite. I wasn't super impressed actually, very small program and I'm not a big fan of Boston. I'm glad I interviewed though, always wondered what went on up there.

I'm almost done with interviews :D! I really gained a lot from reading the few program reviews posted on the last thread and think it would be great to do the same again, especially now that interviews are winding down and we have lots to think about with rank lists. Maybe we can use the same format and send them to Rheumguy (if he agrees?).

I have one more interview, but I think I finally found my spot! How are those rank lists coming along? Let me see those program reviews!

Has anyone interviewed at Loma Linda, UCI, Cedars-Sinai, Olive-View UCLA? Sorry, I'm joining the posting a tad late --- having a terrible time trying to rank these programs so I thought I'd ask what everyone's heard about em! Thx

I went to Cleveland Clinic wanting to match there, but discovered they are a little lop-sided with the extremes of vasculitis and fibromyalgia, and not much SLE, RA, myositis. Fellows aren't particularly happy, and said they get 6-10 consults per day, start at 7am instead of 8 everywhere else. I want to learn and work, but not get killed. This is rheum after all.

I had the same impression. Won't be near the top of my list.

Anyone interviewed at Northwestern? Felt like they are pushing fellows to pursue a 3 yr fellowship (even though it is optional). It almost sounds like you have to end up doing three years. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have one more interview, but I think I finally found my spot! How are those rank lists coming along? Let me see those program reviews!

Can anyone post the review about the programs
It will be helpful for the match

Anyone care to comment on University of Michigan? Even very briefly--good or bad? Liked it or hated it? Interview coming up there--worth my time to go? (don't really care for name or prestige, so this won't factor into my consideration).

Ann Arbor is a nice, college town to live in. Dont know much about U.of Michigan though....I still have to interview there too! Maybe we'll run into each other.

Any reviews on:
MUSC
Duke
UNC
Wakeforest
Has anyone received letters from the program director?

I went to Cleveland Clinic wanting to match there, but discovered they are a little lop-sided with the extremes of vasculitis and fibromyalgia, and not much SLE, RA, myositis. Fellows aren't particularly happy, and said they get 6-10 consults per day, start at 7am instead of 8 everywhere else. I want to learn and work, but not get killed. This is rheum after all.

LOL. I had the same opinion, but none of my friends or attending agreed if i rank it low. It's good to hear somebody feels the same

Here's a nice review someone shared on UCLA:

Number of positions: 4 fellows/yr

Rotation breakdown: 4 hospital system (Ronald Reagan, VA West LA, UCLA-Santa Monica, UCLA-Harbor); first year fellows spend 8 mos on consult service first year and four months second year. Some customizing is available. Regan is the busy subspecialty hospital with a lot of transplant patients. The VA has less inpatient consults, mostly gout/RA. Santa Monica is more of a community hospital. Harbor sees a lot of first presentations of autoimmune disease and has a large immigrant population.

Call schedule: Fellows cover the hospital that they are on service for the month. 2 weekend days on/two off (attending cover). Only cover one hospital at a time.

PD/program leadership: Great faculty and down to earth. Currently looking for a chair.

Research: Tons in basic, clinical, translational. STAR program available for MPH/Phd.

Interview day experience: Exhausting with lots of interviews, but really got a feel for the faculty and the program.

Fellows: Most fellows seem to be from the Southern California area. Appear laid back and happy.

Program strengths: AWESOME clinical research especially in outcomes research, lots of diversity in research opportunities. Faculty seem very involved with fellows, very interested in mentoring. Also a clinician-educator track is available. GREAT population to work with in LA, seems very diverse.

Program weaknesses: LA can be congested and expensive. Difficult to get between hospital locations.

Overall: A fantastic program with great clinical exposure, lots of research opportunities and supportive faculty.

Can someone give me review on Boston university, Georgetown and university of cinccinati
I will highly appreciate it.

Two weeks to go! I'll throw in a good luck to everyone as well :luck: and a Happy Thanksgiving!

Ok, 4 days... I'm happy with any of my top 4, just want to know which one!

Please also post the state where you matched. Chances are we are going to meet, so we can continue to chat. I matched in MA

I am applying for second year spots.
How do I get access to the unfilled positions anyone?