Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker on this thread. Score came back last week. It's in this blog post.

Also, off the top of my head here were the scores of practice tests in order (ish)

NBME 12 = 245
Kaplan FL 1 = 244
CBSE = 242
UWA 1 = 246
NBME 13 = 250 something
NBME 6,7,11 = Offline, 90+%
Kaplan FL 2 = 255
UWA 2 = 265+
NBME 15 = 250 something

Moral of the story, do a ton of questions.

I didn't know that you could get a step 1 equivalent from a kaplan full length. Where did you make that correlation? I would like to know since I've done one so far and I can't seem to get any feedback on where I stand based on my result.

Wow that's impressive. I'm barely managing a 70% Uworld first pass, and most were done subject wise. I'm going to take my first NBME soon, which one would you suggest?

Don't worry about the UW % rate. I had like a 65% first time through, but still came out in the 250's on step 1.
I didn't expend too much energy on NBME's (just did 11 or 7 - can't remember - 5 weeks out) since they don't really "teach" you much except for what you got wrong.

My roommate did Kaplan QBank, UsmleRX, and then UW 2 times - redid mistakes on all of them. Did NOT read First Aid :scared: (skimmed like 1/5 of it) and still scored in 240's.:thumbup:
However, he did have a pretty outstanding foundation and solid understanding of many concepts that I struggled with.

Don't worry about the UW % rate. I had like a 65% first time through, but still came out in the 250's on step 1.
I didn't expend too much energy on NBME's (just did 11 or 7 - can't remember - 5 weeks out) since they don't really "teach" you much except for what you got wrong.

My roommate did Kaplan QBank, UsmleRX, and then UW 2 times - redid mistakes on all of them. Did NOT read First Aid :scared: (skimmed like 1/5 of it) and still scored in 240's.:thumbup:
However, he did have a pretty outstanding foundation and solid understanding of many concepts that I struggled with.

NBME scores? I noticed that you are a resident now. When was your step 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scores are up or going up... where do you guys get all the info about averages? Is 227 still accurate? What about SD?

EDIT: oh I see SEM as six points...?

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker in this thread and it's helped me a lot, so I thought I'd share my experience. I'm a foreign medical student and I've just finished my 4th year. My goal was to score above 230. I started reading FA around february and did rx at the same time to help me consolidate FA. I also read the general path chapters of RR. Finished Rx with 70%. Then I started a second pass of FA in May and did a third one in the 3 weeks before my test. I did UW timed random between May and July and finished with 70% cumulative score. I was having classes at the same time, so I usually did only 1 block a day and revised it immediately after I finished and annotated into FA. Because phys was my early weakness in UW, I read some of the chapters of brs physio (neuro, cardio, resp). I also read Phloston's Micro powerpoints which were very helpful. Practice test scores were:
NBME 6: 217
NBME 7: 219
NBME 11: 238
UWSA 1: 245
NBME 12: 235
UWSA 2: 240
NBME 13: 242
NBME 15: 254
I knew my NBME scores might be inflated because checked some answers I wasn't sure while doing them (can't help it) but I hoped it would be enough to get me my 230.

The test felt like doing UW blocks. I marked about 15 questions each block but I tend to mark a lot. I finished each block with 5-6 min to spare. I took a break every 2 blocks to eat and drink some red bull. After it was over I had no idea what to think. I didn't feel like I aced it but I also didn't feel like I failed, I had no clue what kind of score to expect. I went on vacations immediately after, so I didn't think too much about it, which was great.

Score came back today 238 :) For SDN standards it may not be a super score but I'm very happy with it. I'm hoping to match in peds or ob/gyn, haven't decided which one yet, do you think it's a good score for those 2 specialties?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. I did not use SDN much until after I took Step 1, and it provided a lot of reassurance these past 3 weeks, so I thought I'd try to help out whoever is still preparing for the exam.

First, I go to a mid-level allopathic medical school in the US and I did not study for Step 1 at all during the first two years of medical school. I chose to focus solely on the curriculum and can honestly say I never opened FA or any other board-related resource during this time. I had just about 8 weeks of dedicated study time and that's all. Before my study period, I had taken my Neurology and Psychiatry rotations for 3rd year already, and would recommend this (if this is an option), as I found the neuro on the exam much easier because I had spent a lot of time with the neuroanatomy atlas already. That being said, my goal was anything 250+, thinking that 240 was reasonably in reach for me.

I did not take a baseline NBME, as I was pretty sure I would not pass. I started with DIT and did all of the lectures in 19 days. I find that DIT is not that helpful unless you don't know ANYTHING from First Aid (which I didn't). If that is the case, I would recommend doing DIT first, as I did, rather than in the last 30 days before your exam. I annotated FA with this, and did 2-3 sets in USMLERx during this time in order to try to memorize as much of FA concurrently as possible. I also squeezed in 5 chapters of Pathoma during this time and annotated them into FA as well. After DIT, I did 1 NBME (and did not do very well).

The practice exams that I took (all online):
NBME 11 (5.5 weeks before): 430/205 This made me panic as I had just over 5 weeks left to improve
NBME 13 (3 weeks before): 590/242 (YAY!)
USMLE Free 150 (2 weeks before): 90% I did this on-site and liked getting comfortable with the testing center
NBME 15 (10 days before): 630/252 Peaking too early?
NBME 12 (7 days before): 610/247
NBME 7 (4 days before): 610/247

I did not do any Kaplan or UWorld assessments.

QBank Percentages:
USMLERx: 69% Did 1 pass, finished in just over 3 weeks
Kaplan: 72% Did 1 pass, finished in 2 weeks
UWorld: 68% Did 1 pass, was in the upper 70s and low 80s in the days before my test

I chose to never read FA cover to cover, as I knew that I can't focus on a textbook for that long. I read small sections that were relevant to the QBank questions. By the time that I was finished with DIT, I was nearly done with USMLERx. I used Lange Biochemistry cards and the Microbiology cards and found this sufficient for my exam. I also used BRS Physiology (one of my weakest subjects), which I found particularly helpful for renal. I also struggled with the cardiovascular system and spent an entire day watching YouTube lectures on heart sounds, conduction system and murmurs and found this very helpful. I also used Pathoma, which I did not find as useful as most people have reported. Perhaps I used this too early (midway through studying) to really appreciate the concepts. Other than these sources, I did not use any other books/flashcards. I did not find any pharm flashcards necessary.

So, after finishing DIT, I finished up USMLERx, did NBME 11 and was very worried about my score. That motivated me to finish Kaplan in 2 weeks (all annotated into FA), and I improved significantly. During this time, I had finished reading BRS Physiology, Pathoma lectures, and the biochemistry flashcards. I only ever made it about halfway through the microcards, so can't really comment on how useful they are. Then, I started on UWorld, did the flashcards twice more and in the week leading up to the exam, I read the drug section at the end of each chapter in FA daily.

I cannot stress the importance of taking breaks while you study. I tried to study 12-14 hours/day, but after 3 weeks was so burnt out that I knew I couldn't do it. After that, I took 1-2 days off per week, and only worked 7-9 hours per day. I was much happier and relaxed.

I was pretty confident that I would be OK for time on test day because I generally finished each NBME or UWorld section with >20minutes to spare for checking. I am, however, a fast test-taker and I rarely recheck because I find that my gut answer choice is much more accurate than anything else.

Test experience:
I found this exam significantly harder than any NBME or UWorld. My first block was terrible. I marked 30+ questions. I was so discombobulated by this that in the 2nd section, I couldn't focus enough to do the exam questions in order and ended up hopping around (e.g. question 1--> question 12 --> question 34). This was very inefficient (and bad), so after the 2nd block, I took a 20 minute break. Blocks 3-7 were "better", but I was worried that I was so frazzled by the first two that I wasn't reading the questions clearly. I only took two more 5 minute breaks. I was worried that I was just going through the motions and clicking answers. Another strange thing was that I was taking the full time for each block to answer the questions. I literally had maybe 1-2 minutes left at the end. Overall, I left feeling terrible. Things I thought I knew suddenly became hazy and uncertain. I left feeling certain that I had failed, and even talked to my dean and PI about other plans for residency (I am leaning towards derm).

Test categories:
CV: I had at least 4 heart sounds and 3 EKGs (including normals). Not sure how I managed to do well in this category considering I dread it so much, but I guess I was good at guessing on test day.
Neuro: TONS of brain sections (>8). often the same slice but with a different question.
Pharm: Very straightforward. Only 1 drug not mentioned in FA, and I am convinced that this was an experimental question as little data is known on this drug anyways
Micro: Very few questions, very straightforward. A couple of HIV questions. Nothing that is not in FA
Renal: Lots of questions on ATN and renal tubular acidosis. 1 question on nephrotic syndrome. Heavily concentrated in my first block of questions.
Pulm: I cannot honestly remember any questions (though I'm sure there must've been 1-2)
Derm: 1 question
Biostats: 2 calculation questions. I was upset about this, as biostats is one of my strongest subjects
Ethics: Very difficult and ambiguous questions. I spent a lot of time on these, and clearly didn't learn enough since I didn't score particularly well in behavioral
Biochem: A few questions, including one on Hartnup disease. Nothing that was not in the flashcards.
Genetics: very straightforward. Make sure to remember modes of inheritance for common sydnromes.
Imaging: I had 3 CTs (non-neuro), all of which I did not know the answer to. I did not spend time on imaging at all.
No histology questions.
Embryology: 2 questions, one was a tracheo-esophageal fistula.

That's all I remember system-wise. I had a lot of strange questions: mechanism of estrogen decreasing blood pressure? where is the ATP binding site on the Na/K channel? etc. There was a lot of molecular biology, which ended up being guesses for me. I felt very unlucky as my worst subjects were over-represented on my exam (I felt). If I could go back and study again, I would have spent some time on imaging.

For the last three weeks, I have had nightmares about the exam, looked up answers to every question I can remember (bad idea), and tried to replan my career (was already on a research year in derm and considered rejoining my class for clinicals if my score was too low). I was convinced that I had actually failed as I can honestly say that I thought I had only solidly known the answers to 10-15% of questions. I was very upset about the stupid mistakes I had caught-- had a question on Reye syndrome and whether aspirin or acetaminophen caused it, and somehow convinced myself that since acetaminophen can cause hepatic damage, it must cause Reye's in children (haha..).

Anyways, I got my score today and it was a 253! :D I am ecstatic that I reached my goal and all that worrying was for nothing. Perhaps not a stellar score according to SDN, but much higher than I expected and enough to give me a shot at the specialty I am interested in. Also, I did a bit better on the actual exam than my NBME average (excluding the 1st one), but close enough that I believe they are good predictors. What is shocking to me is that I felt confident on the NBMEs and the exact opposite about the exam, but in the end, it worked out.

So, moral of my story is: even if you don't focus on this exam during the first two years of med school, it's possible to get a good score. It's a lot of pattern recognition and being able to apply concepts forwards and backwards. We are all more than capable of doing well. Good luck everyone! Hope this helps, and feel free to message me if you have questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Got my score today. 240s! Very happy! NBME baseline was in the 180s. Used DIT to get a first pass through FA, did Pathoma and then did UWORLD (90% finished). Last 2 weeks I reviewed FA. Last UWSA (2 wks out) was in the low 230s.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok guys... i just did the real exam and it feels pretty much like i failed... daaaaamnnnn!!!!

its like 50 50 ... and if i passed then most probably with a bad score like 190 or whatsoever.

it felt much harder than NBME and knowing nearly every question in Uworld did not seem to help me much on the real thing.

here is my prep strategy.

-overall approx. 3 and a half months prep

-went through FA couple of times (don't remember how often, maybe 4 times or so)

-did Uworld, and I REALLY THOUGHT that i understood the concepts in the questions (though i did biostatistics and pharmakokinetics very superficially because i hate these topics). i did uworld three times and ended up at 80% or so correct answers, but however, this is not representative because now i know it was just because i knew all the answeres by heart i think !

-kaplan q bank went through it complete once and then did some blocks occasionally

-i did nbme15 4 weeks prior to exam with 207

-did other NBMEs offline with roughly 80% correct, but offline, so again, not representative !

-did free150 online with 83%

ok so thats it ! FA, uworld and a little bit kaplan.

now i know my strategy was ****!

i marked at least 15-20 questions each block. it felt like there were like 15-20 biostat questions i just guessing on. overall, i felt like FA is a really bad book for prep. it does in no way prepare you for the exam. you have to understand the principles and apply your knowledge to the questions. FA is just a collection of buzzwords that may be useful in some very few questions. if had FA in front of me during the exam i could have answered MAX !!! 30% of the questions. 30 % of q i knew the answer, 30% i was really not sure whether correct or not, 30% i was guessing on...rest 10% i can't remember. feels like something like that.

no i will let god decide whether i am gonna pass or not. if i fail than this is gods will!!!!

damn but why should he let me fail :mad:

ok guys... i just did the real exam and it feels pretty much like i failed... daaaaamnnnn!!!!

its like 50 50 ... and if i passed then most probably with a bad score like 190 or whatsoever.

it felt much harder than NBME and knowing nearly every question in Uworld did not seem to help me much on the real thing.

here is my prep strategy.

-overall approx. 3 and a half months prep

-went through FA couple of times (don't remember how often, maybe 4 times or so)

-did Uworld, and I REALLY THOUGHT that i understood the concepts in the questions (though i did biostatistics and pharmakokinetics very superficially because i hate these topics). i did uworld three times and ended up at 80% or so correct answers, but however, this is not representative because now i know it was just because i knew all the answeres by heart i think !

-kaplan q bank went through it complete once and then did some blocks occasionally

-i did nbme15 4 weeks prior to exam with 207

-did other NBMEs offline with roughly 80% correct, but offline, so again, not representative !

-did free150 online with 83%

ok so thats it ! FA, uworld and a little bit kaplan.

now i know my strategy was ****!

i marked at least 15-20 questions each block. it felt like there were like 15-20 biostat questions i just guessing on. overall, i felt like FA is a really bad book for prep. it does in no way prepare you for the exam. you have to understand the principles and apply your knowledge to the questions. FA is just a collection of buzzwords that may be useful in some very few questions. if had FA in front of me during the exam i could have answered MAX !!! 30% of the questions. 30 % of q i knew the answer, 30% i was really not sure whether correct or not, 30% i was guessing on...rest 10% i can't remember. feels like something like that.

no i will let god decide whether i am gonna pass or not. if i fail than this is gods will!!!!

damn but why should he let me fail :mad:

You'll pass.

I know most people here wouldn't even know what to say to this...

But I just did UWSA 1 and got 221... My exam is September 7th and I'm completely freaking out right now...

I just did NBME 11 a couple of days ago and got 214. I don't understand how my UWSA score is 221?! (I'm going by subtracting 20 from UWSA to get your real score).
hey,
I just did my second UWAS and I got a 216 exactly what I got the first time, my test is sept. 4th, and if i dont take it by then I cant graduate with my class, I dont know what to do, any advice?

Got my score today. 240s! Very happy! NBME baseline was in the 180s. Used DIT to get a first pass through FA, did Pathoma and then did UWORLD (90% finished). Last 2 weeks I reviewed FA. Last UWSA (2 wks out) was in the low 230s.
Hey, I just finished my second UWSA and got the same exact score as the first one, a 216, my exam is on sept.4th, Im freaking out. Looking for advice, its nice to see you did well :)

Hey, I just finished my second UWSA and got the same exact score as the first one, a 216, my exam is on sept.4th, Im freaking out. Looking for advice, its nice to see you did well :)

So tomorrow is the 23rd that means a little under 2 weeks. Should spend a minimum of 12 hours studying, till the end. I did 9/4/3 method.

Woke up at 6am and read FA from 630 to 3pm.
From 330 to 730 reviewed stuff I was weak on.
800pm to 1100pm did questions which consisted of doing uworld a second time and doing usmlerx.

During the review period I made sure I knew FA Biochem, embryo, and micro inside out. You can ask CDI I had those pages down cold. I know people also include pharm, but I just relied on Kaplan pharm.

So tomorrow is the 23rd that means a little under 2 weeks. Should spend a minimum of 12 hours studying, till the end. I did 9/4/3 method.

800pm to 1100pm did questions which consisted of doing uworld a second time and doing usmlerx.

During the review period I made sure I knew FA Biochem, embryo, and micro inside out. You can ask CDI I had those pages down cold. I know people also include pharm, but I just relied on Kaplan pharm.

Coincidentally, I just thought of dropping UW.. I was planning on trying to get through as much as I could in 4 days and then pretty much do what you suggested (with NBMEs in between). But I think I'm going to forgo the UW days, and instead just do:
FA/Pathoma during the day
UW blocks at night
NBMEs on opposite days

I'm going nbme 7 again tomorrow morning... I'm praying to be pleasantly surprised.

Coincidentally, I just thought of dropping UW.. I was planning on trying to get through as much as I could in 4 days and then pretty much do what you suggested (with NBMEs in between). But I think I'm going to forgo the UW days, and instead just do:
FA/Pathoma during the day
UW blocks at night
NBMEs on opposite days

I'm going nbme 7 again tomorrow morning... I'm praying to be pleasantly surprised.

Again? What so you mean? You've already done it before?

Also, another thing since I'm weak on neuro I saved the images for the questions I got wrong and used Google image reverse lookup to see if I could find the source of the pics.

Found that the pictures come from Creighton SOM. fortunate because I had a brain stem pic show up asking to identify where the lesion is, granted it was easy but still could've been difficult.

I can post the link for you when I get home.

Additionally, I printed out uworld and did it offline the 2nd time. I made two piles the ones I got correct and the ones I got incorrect. I reviewed the incorrects each day but due to the length of the explanations I could only read about 15-20 incorrects/day.

Again? What so you mean? You've already done it before?

Also, another thing since I'm weak on neuro I saved the images for the questions I got wrong and used Google image reverse lookup to see if I could find the source of the pics.

Found that the pictures come from Creighton SOM. fortunate because I had a brain stem pic show up asking to identify where the lesion is, granted it was easy but still could've been difficult.

I can post the link for you when I get home.

Thanks! That would be great!!

Yea, but I took it like 3 months ago and didn't review it after my exam. I definitely didn't use these NBMEs properly. I just took it to get a score and then I went on reviewing or doing questions.

That being said, since I didn't look at it again, I thought it wouldn't affect my scores since I just saw it the one time. The only nbme I have left that I haven't done is NBME 15 which I want to save until the end of next week (one week before my exam).

Oh yeah try to sharpen up your biostats if need be, becuse the simple crap like Ppv, npv, prevalence, etc doesn't get asked.

More so of the attributable risk, number needed to treat/harm, etc etc

Neuro links:

Creighton's SoM Neuro images: Google reverse image search of one of the images lead me back to this link, so it seems as if NBME gets their images from here. I had a picture that showed up from here asking the site of the lesion. Fortunately, it was easy but hey it could've been difficult.

http://medicine.creighton.edu/medschool/WebAtlas/Neuro.html

Brainstem: Here's a link of a labeled brainstem. You have to right click on the image and open the image on another tab to get a larger image of the picture. I've attached a picture of what I'm referring to

CexatnA.png

http://www.easynotecards.com/print_list/10724?fs=2&dis=1&pi=on

Neuroanatomy Section Atlas: I used this site for the quizzes, which is good to get blood supply and other stuff down.

1. Click on main pages
2. Click on 'practice exam questions'

This site also has slice sections of the brain stem, which is extremely detailed

http://isc.temple.edu/neuroanatomy/lab/atlas/instructions.html

Additionally, I printed out uworld and did it offline the 2nd time. I made two piles the ones I got correct and the ones I got incorrect. I reviewed the incorrects each day but due to the length of the explanations I could only read about 15-20 incorrects/day.

How many pages did you have altogether? I once tried this but I gave up within a week.

How many pages did you have altogether? I once tried this but I gave up within a week.

Quite a bit. I know Pathology by itself had 575 questions, so atleast that many pages. I think I used up 4 reams of paper and 2 laser printer ink cartridges.

edit: saw my post again this morning and decided to count how many pages it was, but it was atleast 1,362 pages. Here are some of the stacks that I had at one point. Broke them up into the various sections, and then sub-divided them into the corrects & incorrects. From there tried to review the incorrects daily, but as I mentioned above due to the length of the explanations I could only do about 15-20 on a good day.

edit 2: this is the guest bedroom, so don't bust my balls over the flowery bed sheet cover.

sPA4P7j.jpg

Last edited:
Took my exam yesterday. I don't know what the deal was but I ran out of time on 5-6 of the blocks. I had to totally guess on about 1-2 questions per block. I usually finish Uworld blocks with 10-15 minutes to spare. With the NBME practice tests there was only one or so blocks where time was cut short, but I never actually ran out of time on any of those.

I really hope the curve is more reasonable than the NBMEs and i still somehow score what I was scoring on the practice tests.

I have just started doing my incorrects in UW. I am scoring 78-87% so far. Is that good?

on a 2nd pass you are probably just recalling the question from the first time you did it. this is happening consciously or subconsciously so a % on the 2nd pass doesn't really mean much IMO and you can't really correlate it with what you'll get on the real deal. only 1st pass timed random would do that.

rather, on the 2nd pass you should be able to recreate the answer explanation including why the right answer is right and the wrong answers are wrong as well as the educational objective for each question before looking at it. this means far more than some arbitrary % for how well you can recall previously attempted questions.

on a 2nd pass you are probably just recalling the question from the first time you did it. this is happening consciously or subconsciously so a % on the 2nd pass doesn't really mean much IMO and you can't really correlate it with what you'll get on the real deal. only 1st pass timed random would do that.

rather, on the 2nd pass you should be able to recreate the answer explanation including why the right answer is right and the wrong answers are wrong as well as the educational objective for each question before looking at it. this means far more than some arbitrary % for how well you can recall previously attempted questions.

This is really important. After I finished UW took a break from it till I started to review the offline documents.

This way I knew it wouldn't be simple recall, granted three were times that I remembered the answer solely due to just remembering but there were questions which I truly did get wrong again twice.

Hey thanks for your reply i really appreciate it.
Im freaking out a little more after reading it considering that I didnt do much the past two days but review the UWSA. your schedule seems so intense, I really dont know if im cut out for it.
how did you print the uworlds? how is that even possible?
do you suggest doing incorrects on uworld again? or reseting?
what about goljan/pathoma? what about the goljan book?

but thanks again for answering, its the first time anyone has replied, and most people on this forum are arrogant and full of ****.

Last edited:
This is really important. After I finished UW took a break from it till I started to review the offline documents.

This way I knew it wouldn't be simple recall, granted three were times that I remembered the answer solely due to just remembering but there were questions which I truly did get wrong again twice.
what is offline documents?! im so confused

but thanks again for answering, its the first time anyone has replied, and most people on this forum are arrogant and full of ****.

I think no ones ripped you a new one because of your obvious fragility, so quit baiting.

what is offline documents?! im so confused

Uworld questions in a PDF format, instead of the traditional method of logging into their server. I printed out the whole qbank after I finished it with my subscription (the logging in subscription) and redid it on paper. This way I could physically review the material as one large text book.

You can google it or find it on torrents.

Im freaking out a little more after reading it considering that I didnt do much the past two days but review the UWSA. I guess I can start your schedule you suggested tomorrow, but it seems so intense, I really dont know if im cut out for it, or for this in general now. Im considering not taking the exam, because I dont want to delay my graduation date and dropped out would be easier.

im very pessimistic and think not continuing is my best option...

16 hours of studying + 8 hr of sleeping. cram first aid into your brain. I noticed uworld was taking too long so i stopped at 90% complete and just did first aid rest of the way.

Im freaking out a little more after reading it considering that I didnt do much the past two days but review the UWSA. I guess I can start your schedule you suggested tomorrow, but it seems so intense, I really dont know if im cut out for it, or for this in general now. Im considering not taking the exam, because I dont want to delay my graduation date and dropped out would be easier.

im very pessimistic and think not continuing is my best option...

16 hours of studying + 8 hr of sleeping. cram first aid into your brain. I noticed uworld was taking too long so i stopped at 90% complete and just did first aid rest of the way.

Exactly 16 hours of studying and another 8 for sleep is perfect, lol still think that's too much sleeping. The schedule is hard and exhausting. I found myself mentally exhausted by night fall. As this dude suggested as well reviewing UW takes forever at times with their explanations. I tried to shave the time down by now reviewing the pharm explanations since that was a strong topic unless I got the question wrong or asked about a drug I didn't know (ie daptomycin's se is elevated creatine kinase)

Quite a bit. I know Pathology by itself had 575 questions, so atleast that many pages. I think I used up 4 reams of paper and 2 laser printer ink cartridges.

edit: saw my post again this morning and decided to count how many pages it was, but it was atleast 1,362 pages. Here are some of the stacks that I had at one point. Broke them up into the various sections, and then sub-divided them into the corrects & incorrects. From there tried to review the incorrects daily, but as I mentioned above due to the length of the explanations I could only do about 15-20 on a good day.

edit 2: this is the guest bedroom, so don't bust my balls over the flowery bed sheet cover.

sPA4P7j.jpg

Wow! Quite impressive. I bet this is effective and saves space and time of annotating everything into FA. And the room...perfect :thumbup: . I wish you all the best doc.

Exactly 16 hours of studying and another 8 for sleep is perfect, lol still think that's too much sleeping. The schedule is hard and exhausting. I found myself mentally exhausted by night fall. As this dude suggested as well reviewing UW takes forever at times with their explanations. I tried to shave the time down by now reviewing the pharm explanations since that was a strong topic unless I got the question wrong or asked about a drug I didn't know (ie daptomycin's se is elevated creatine kinase)

Did you notice any newer, key questions found on the online UW but not found on the printed out copy?

Wow! Quite impressive. I bet this is effective and saves space and time of annotating everything into FA. And the room...perfect :thumbup: . I wish you all the best doc.

Yup, exactly the reason I did it. I was annotating so much, and not reading FA it got to the point where I was in the testing center and didn't finish reading a few chapters, and those were the chapters which were annotated the heaviest in all of FA.

Did you notice any newer, key questions found on the online UW but not found on the printed out copy?

I kept a look out for those especially the ones where the %-correct was in the low end x<25%, but I ended up finding those during the 2nd run

Also guys, I'm sorry but I no longer have the UW document anymore. I found it from the torrents, so check there. After taking the exam, I cleared up most of the space on my mac. Just FYI, because I'm getting a few PMs about it.

hey guys,

i badly need some advice as the nbme 15 has shattered me. have done kap lectures, UW and goljan and decided to take nbme 15 first- silly me or oversmart me..i dont know....just wanted to getout of it . anyways took nbme 15 n barely passed it..so now i m wondering...what should i do to improve my scores for the next nbmes??..
some qs like SF/NY resistance gene i had no clue,
Any guidance appreciated.
Thanks a lot

What are the most important Goljan audios (if you don't have much time)?
Cell injury, fluid/ hemodynamics, inflammation, nutrition...anything else?

What are the most important Goljan audios (if you don't have much time)?
Cell injury, fluid/ hemodynamics, inflammation, nutrition...anything else?

DEFINITELY hematology. I mean all of them are good, but blood is the best IMO, because he makes everything ridiculously simple.