Official 2014-2015 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May be I can start the discussion:

What makes a good personal statement? I have had two completely different views on my PS.

I have two mentors, one of them primarily a clinician (my previous boss and a very famous cardiologist) suggested me to give a patient anecdote, show enthusiasm about cardiology and be as concise as possible.

My current boss is primarily a researcher (at a prestigious University) suggested me to include molecules, gadgets, genetics and all that complicated stuff into my PS.

Honestly, I like simple writing more like the former one, but was wondering if one of these styles have a higher impact? Any suggestions from forum members would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this question has been asked from previous years. I remember reading them here but surprisingly I cant find them and don't remember what was the consensus.
So when u got abstracts accepted for ACC or TCT and they are published as journal supplements...how do we list them in ERAS CV. It is kind of confusing because there is the option of "poster" (which I think they actually are) and there is option of peer reviewed article/abstract published. Which one do I choose?

I think this question has been asked from previous years. I remember reading them here but surprisingly I cant find them and don't remember what was the consensus.
So when u got abstracts accepted for ACC or TCT and they are published as journal supplements...how do we list them in ERAS CV. It is kind of confusing because there is the option of "poster" (which I think they actually are) and there is option of peer reviewed article/abstract published. Which one do I choose?
It's not confusing. They're posters, not peer reviewed publications.

I have 3 or 4 "publications" from abstracts I submitted that were ultimately withdrawn or which I never actually presented but the abstracts were still put in the relevant journal supplements.

I have 3 or 4 "publications" from abstracts I submitted that were ultimately withdrawn or which I never actually presented but the abstracts were still put in the relevant journal supplements.

Thanks I agree with you and I was thinking along same line. It is just weird how it is worded on ERAS. They have an option for Peer reviewed Journal Articles/ABSTRACTS

what is max number of letters we an include in application? most programs say 3 however there are 4 slots in eras.

They're not gonna throw your file in the trash if you have 4 good LORs and send them

should i write pending applicant for permanent residence or green cardholder in my application. my greencard will be ready after 4 months. i guess it makes a difference

should i write pending applicant for permanent residence or green cardholder in my application. my greencard will be ready after 4 months. i guess it makes a difference
If I were you, I would put green card holder (if you have already applied) as it may definitely help fetch some more interviews. More than likely, towards the middle of your interview trail or at max before match, you are going to be a GC holder. This is based on my own and friends experience.

All the best

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it typical for letter writers not to sit down with you and discuss your application before they write letters. My home letter writers granted that they have worked with me for the past 2 years and have my CV and personal statement...am still surprised that none of them bothered to sit down with me to even ask what kind of programs I am targeting. How is your experience?

Is it typical for letter writers not to sit down with you and discuss your application before they write letters. My home letter writers granted that they have worked with me for the past 2 years and have my CV and personal statement...am still surprised that none of them bothered to sit down with me to even ask what kind of programs I am targeting. How is your experience?
For me it was both. 2 sat down with me and took notes, 3rd one is my current PI (knows everything), 4th one didn't even care.

Quick question: If you have an abstract at a national meeting which later on resulted in publication, could you list both in ERAS? My impression was that you need to list only final publication (no abstract). But, in my situation I was first author on poster presentation but co-first on publication (which shows up as second on application). So, I am tempted to list both.

Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gutonc, so then what is "peer reviewed abstract"? It is listed as a different option than "poster" in ERAS application? Thanks.

1/2 and 1/2 for me. 2 LOR writers met with me to discuss career goals, CV, etc. The other 2 just wanted my CV/PS and said they'd call if they needed more info

I think if the national meeting abstracts get accepted and they are published in respective journals they should be written as citations from the journal as peer reviewed abstracts because I would have to assume that the abstracts which were put in the poster category were automatically not peer reviewed.

Also I think the people reviewing our application will be able to differentiate between manuscripts and abstracts as manuscripts most of the times have pmid which abstracts don't.

I don't see any harm in writing abstracts in the peer reviewed abstracts category. This gives you opportunity to mention abstracts which you have just submitted to aha as no one knows if it will be accepted as oral or as poster.

Any comments?

How many programs is every one applying to?

Hi ,

I am a resident applying for cardiology fellowship. I have lot of abstracts/Posters submitted to various regional /national conferences (ACP,AMA,SGIM). I dont think they will published. but in ERAS application , where should I post them. Are they really useful or not ?

Thanks for any advices .

Hi ,

I am a resident applying for cardiology fellowship. I have lot of abstracts/Posters submitted to various regional /national conferences (ACP,AMA,SGIM). I dont think they will published. but in ERAS application , where should I post them. Are they really useful or not ?

Thanks for any advices .

Choose "POSTERS" option.

Thank you ROBINHO
what about the abstract submitted to regional ACP, SGIM , AMA . but not got accepted or if got accepted , but didnt gone for poster presentation . or if I am at second author in that abstract. All these abstracts i have so far are clinical vignettes. where can I keep these abstracts. are they really useful ?

I am an IMG , require visa. what are the alternate options for getting cardiology fellowship if we miss first time.

I appreciate your advices/responses.

Hello everyone and good luck for this year's match

I am starting as a heart failure fellow in a non-ACGME accredited program. The problem I am facing is that there is no option in the "Training" part of the ERAS application to put heart failure (non-ACGME) under the fellowships. They have options for Cardiac Ultrasound-non-ACGME (which I think is for ECHO), Cardiac MRI (non-ACGME), Cardiac Nuclear Imaging-non-ACGME but not Heart Failure as non-ACGME. Please it would be great if someone who is or has been in a similar situation advice regarding this. I don't want to put in under "Experience" as my contract with the hospital clearly states "fellowship".

Thanks in advance for help.

Hi, I have similar issue as well. I am in a NON-ACGME Research fellowship at a premier institution, but there is no place to enter that as Training in ERAS as well? Wonder how to list that?

Hi All,

I was not sure, although wanted to check if programs will start downloading our applications on July 1st or July 15th.

I know we can start applying to programs only after July 1st, but not sure if all documents, personal statements and letters of recommendations need to be in by then as well.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am not clear.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi All,

I was not sure, although wanted to check if programs will start downloading our applications on July 1st or July 15th.

I know we can start applying to programs only after July 1st, but not sure if all documents, personal statements and letters of recommendations need to be in by then as well.

Thanks in Advance.

july 15th

Thank you ROBINHO
what about the abstract submitted to regional ACP, SGIM , AMA . but not got accepted or if got accepted , but didnt gone for poster presentation . or if I am at second author in that abstract. All these abstracts i have so far are clinical vignettes. where can I keep these abstracts. are they really useful ?

I am an IMG , require visa. what are the alternate options for getting cardiology fellowship if we miss first time.

I appreciate your advices/responses.

ACP,SGIM, AMA...just put posters. When u are second author they know anyway that all authors cannot stand by the poster

Hi All,

Thanks in Advance.
This year timeline has changed, we can only start applying from July 15 (same day when programs start downloading)…..search ERAS 2015 guidelines for fellowship July cycle.

here is the link….

https://www.erasfellowshipdocuments.org/instructions.asp?typ=impdates

I think if the national meeting abstracts get accepted and they are published in respective journals they should be written as citations from the journal as peer reviewed abstracts because I would have to assume that the abstracts which were put in the poster category were automatically not peer reviewed.

Also I think the people reviewing our application will be able to differentiate between manuscripts and abstracts as manuscripts most of the times have pmid which abstracts don't.

I don't see any harm in writing abstracts in the peer reviewed abstracts category. This gives you opportunity to mention abstracts which you have just submitted to aha as no one knows if it will be accepted as oral or as poster.

Any comments?

How many programs is every one applying to?
I am an IMG, so planning to apply widely (almost every program which has >/= 4 spots, ~ 120 programs). You can always cancel interviews if you happen to get a good number….

Hi,
I know its my OCD talking but while working on my ERAS CAF I am having a hard time formatting Hobbies/Awards/ Membership section. I've chosen to use resume-style formatting to keep the CV short and concise i.e enter each award in separate line

1 - Nobel prize
2- Grammy award

but it seems there is no break in the final product, and the lists run as one long blurb of paragraph.

P.S - I vaguely remember having the same problem 3 yrs back when I was applying for residency but I some how managed to tackle it. Cannot recall how?:pacifier:

yup, that's what it looks like plus it has character limitations too.

Hi, I am one of IMGs (PGY3) on J-1 visa. Would anyone know the cards programs that won't accept J-1 (not sponsoring Visa) for sure? Thanks in advance.

for now we keep the NRMP number field empty in the profile section, right?

Is there a process for submitting USMLE step scores? By clicking okay to release, is this enough?

Quick question: has anybody recently been informed by their letter writers that your letter was uploaded to ERAS in last 2-3 days? How long after you were able to see that letter being "available to programs" in ADTS tab?

The reason I am asking this because one of my LOR writers told me ~ 10 days ago that his secretary will be uploading my letter, but it hasn't started showing up. I am sure the secretary forgot (or busy with work), but just wanted to make sure if this delay could be from ERAS side?

Thanks.

I've had one uploaded over the weekend that turned up early Monday morning, and another one uploaded yesterday AM that turned up within I think a couple of hours.

Quick question: has anybody recently been informed by their letter writers that your letter was uploaded to ERAS in last 2-3 days? How long after you were able to see that letter being "available to programs" in ADTS tab?

The reason I am asking this because one of my LOR writers told me ~ 10 days ago that his secretary will be uploading my letter, but it hasn't started showing up. I am sure the secretary forgot (or busy with work), but just wanted to make sure if this delay could be from ERAS side?

Thanks.

I doubt ERAS will take 10 days..... Most likely the lazy secretary forgot to upload..... Send her a kind reminder......

I have a question about ERAS Application. I am currently doing a Research Fellowship and wanted to enter that in the application, but not sure if I should enter that as Education, Training or Work experience? Anybody has any suggestions?

I have a question about ERAS Application. I am currently doing a Research Fellowship and wanted to enter that in the application, but not sure if I should enter that as Education, Training or Work experience? Anybody has any suggestions?
I am also doing research fellowship. I have listed it as research experience. People would know from your statement and from your description of work what you are doing currently...

Thanks. I emailed the writer. But of course no answer likely 2/2 extra long weekend! Honestly the secretarial staff where I work is extremely professional and work gets done quickly…but, NY is NY….:)