**Official 2014-2015** - Diagnostic Radiology Program Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UPenn, University of Pittsburgh, Thomas Jefferson, please! Trying to stay in Pennsylvania.

Members don't see this ad.

Program: University of Maryland

Travel: Flew in to BWI. Plenty of hotels, ok pricing. Know that you will pay for parking too if staying at one in the city.

Pre-interview dinner: Dempsey's at Camden Yards. Great, laid back dinner and a lot of the residents showed up. Seriously, like 1/3 to 1/2 of the entire program. Which was pretty telling of how much the residents love and care about the program. Felt the family vibe beginning then.

The Hospital and Facilities: UMMC is one of the nicest hospitals of all that I've been to on the East Coast. There's a much older hospital core, that has a newer addition added around it. Also very nice rec center directly across the street with everything you would want (bball courts, pool, weights, etc.). Plenty of food to eat in hospital with ABP, etc. etc.

The Interview: Program director, and 2 attendings. Very laid back felt like most radiology interviews.

Didactics / Conferences / Other Teaching: Morning conference and noon conference. The one I went to was actually really good in comparison to most on the interview trail. Could have been a special session for the interviewees, but even then I would have appreciated the gesture.

Residents/Staff/Attendings: Everyone gets along here and the vibe feels like everyone is treated as equal, or at least with an equal level of respect. Everyone seemed happy that I met and you can tell they like it at UMMC.

Resident Satisfaction with Program: Very high. Unlike some programs where I would have to ask about what positives or negatives are at their program, the residents seemed like they were feeling us out the whole time to see if we would fit in their program. More than other places, but not in an bad way. Met the most amount of residents here and they all had stories to share about what their day is like at the hospital, what they do outside of the hospital and the things they love about the program. Huge upside to this program.

Call Schedule: Don't remember. I honestly think this shouldn't be a major factor on here, but if it is for you, whatever. I'm sure you can find this on their website.

Moonlighting: They have it. I don't remember details but it's not crazy amounts like some Tri-state programs, but is available IIRC.

Fellowships: Good fellowships. IR especially seemed to be strong here, and fellowship placement is good as well, with many either going to Maryland or Hopkins, just down the road.

Special or unusually good aspects: I'd like to state something I heard from many on the interview trail and believe myself. If Maryland wasn't just minutes away from Hopkins I honestly think it would stand pretty tall on it's own. Great facilities, great program leadership and a culture in the department that loves what they do (which is palpable) makes for a great program in my opinion. Research is available and plentiful, it just isn't the Hopkins name, which may/may not mean anything to you. I also have heard that residents at Maryland get more hands on time in comparison to Hopkins, FWIW. Either way this is a solid program that should be near the top of everyones list if you get a chance to interview here.

Red flags: None

Notes: See above

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I second this... it's really surprising to me that Maryland went unfilled. They were probably the most cohesive, happy, and friendly group of residents I encountered during my interview trail. Everyone I met (resident to attending) was insanely nice. The hospital itself and the reading rooms were all very nice. Many of their lectures are given by those who lecture at AIRP. I assume they just didn't rank enough applicants, and it came back to bite them.
Either way, I highly recommend Maryland to any future applicants!