COMLEX Official 2015 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghorn11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets hear about study plans, best resources, and experiences for level 2.

Members don't see this ad.

For those only taking comlex (and not usmle) will you still be completing uworld in addition to comquest or combank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, anyone know why the average for this cycle is a 540? That's kind of a high number

Members don't see this ad :)
What books do DO students generally use in preparation for Level 2 CE if not taking USMLE too? Also what question bank is better COMBANK or COMQUEST for Level 2 CE?

What books do DO students generally use in preparation for Level 2 CE if not taking USMLE too? Also what question bank is better COMBANK or COMQUEST for Level 2 CE?

This is a tough question to give a black and white answer on. I've heard of multiple approaches to COMLEX step 2, and there really isn't a "perfect book" or resource out there. I think the common themes however, are completing 2 of the 3 big question banks (UWORLD, COMQUEST, and COMBANK) will give you exposure to around 50-70% of the material on test day. After that, it's really thinking on your feet, and using what you learned from rotations and any other books, resources along the way. A portion of the test from what I hear you just can't study for; just pick and answer and move on. As far as COMQUEST vs COMBANK, I personally haven't done both yet, so I can't comment on that.

This is a tough question to give a black and white answer on. I've heard of multiple approaches to COMLEX step 2, and there really isn't a "perfect book" or resource out there. I think the common themes however, are completing 2 of the 3 big question banks (UWORLD, COMQUEST, and COMBANK) will give you exposure to around 50-70% of the material on test day. After that, it's really thinking on your feet, and using what you learned from rotations and any other books, resources along the way. A portion of the test from what I hear you just can't study for; just pick and answer and move on. As far as COMQUEST vs COMBANK, I personally haven't done both yet, so I can't comment on that.

Thanks for the input....anybody know if there is a good book to start with? I have read some people like Step Up to Step 2 while a few like First Aid for Step 2 and some say Master the Boards....

Lets hear about study plans, best resources, and experiences for level 2.

I will be taking my exam in July and have been trying out different study resources. For those who are running out of time and money, like me lol, here are promotional deals for USMLE-Rx. There are 2 offers: 1 for a 6 month subscription and another 1 for a 12 month subscription. Significantly cheaper than purchasing UWorld or Kaplan. Doesn't hurt to purchase this along with Combank/Comquest since I was told that doing more questions is the best way to prepare. Best of luck!

1) 6 month Step 2 CK Qmax for $99 promotion --> promo code is: COMPPOM7QMAX2

2) 12 month Step 2 CK Qmax for $129 promotion --> promo code is: COMPOM8QMAX2

This code is active until 5/6/15. You can take advantage of this offer now, and set your subscription to delay for up to 6 months. :)

Crazy rumor I heard they are bumping the passing score to 450 this July? Nonsense right? Also, I find it weird how they lower the standards for Level 3 to 350?

Has anyone tried the COMBANK 200 question assessment they just released?? There are 2 and I was thinking about doing those instead of COMSAE. Worth it??

Has anyone tried the COMBANK 200 question assessment they just released?? There are 2 and I was thinking about doing those instead of COMSAE. Worth it??

I would say do the COMSAE's just as a learning tool; I did them on untimed mode just so I can experience some COMLEX level questions. Also, the COMSAE's are terrible predictors of scores so I wasn't concerned about their assessment grade.

I would like to try those 200 COMBANK questions however I couldn't find anyway of purchasing them on their website. Do you think you could post the link to where you found those questions?

I would say do the COMSAE's just as a learning tool; I did them on untimed mode just so I can experience some COMLEX level questions. Also, the COMSAE's are terrible predictors of scores so I wasn't concerned about their assessment grade.

I would like to try those 200 COMBANK questions however I couldn't find anyway of purchasing them on their website. Do you think you could post the link to where you found those questions?

I'm doing Form D because my school's making me take it but this COMBANK assessment thing is a new tool, so I was curious if people found it helpful.

Anyways, you can only purchase it if you have a COMBANK account. I don't think it's available to the general public like COMSAEs are. If I log into my COMBANK account, the "purchase assessment" button is on the top right hand corner.

I plan on taking it tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it is.

UW by far is the best and study OMM on your own. I would not waste money and time on other Q-banks.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone know what guidelines and DSM version the comlex 2ce is testing? For level 1 i know they were running a little behind on that stuff so I just want to know if i need to brush up on outdated guidelines (god damn you nbome)

Did anyone take it recently and can comment on what they found was helpful and give any advice or insight as I heard they changed the test last summer? Any topics to focus on with OBGYN and Pediatrics I heard are always heavy?

What has been the pattern of score releases this cycle? Has it been coming out the first day of the published release schedule?

Reactions: 1 user
So does anyone know what guidelines and DSM version the comlex 2ce is testing? For level 1 i know they were running a little behind on that stuff so I just want to know if i need to brush up on outdated guidelines (god damn you nbome)
Not sure, but I'm probably just going to roll with whatever is on UWorld

Scores up today for up to 5/15. Substantially lower than I expected, but at least its over
Sorry to hear, what did you get and what were your scores on your Q-banks? Can you comment on what you saw on your COMLEX step 2? Was it well-rounded or heavy in certain topics?

Sorry to hear, what did you get and what were your scores on your Q-banks? Can you comment on what you saw on your COMLEX step 2? Was it well-rounded or heavy in certain topics?

Unfortunately I cant really help you. I did all three q banks but I used them for comats and stuff throughout the year so my averages are skewed. I thought the test was right down the middle, and actually a very fair test. I also left the exam feeling like I nailed it, and expected a score much different from the one I got.... So who knows.

I know you are gonna want numbers...
All three combanks I averaged ~ 65%
I was expecting something in the 550s-600s, and I got something in between 400 and 500.

I just sent in my 50 bucks for score confirmation actually because I have a hard time believing the score I got, but I doubt it will lead me anywhere. I will let the wonderful folks on here know what comes of it.

what topics did you see on your test that were hit hard and would you say besides the 3 questions banks...what book did you use?

What did they say was the avg and the standard deviation? I am hearing that a lot of scores are drastically lower than expected. I am wondering if it is the same issue that occurred last summer?

Hi everyone,

So I just got my scores back yesterday and my step 2 score is drastically lower than my step 1 score. I took the exam on May 15, 2015, and I'm wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue. I know two others who took it on the same day and also received much lower scores than expected. I know there were problems and issues with step 2 scoring in summer and fall of 2014, and I'm wondering if something similar is going on. Obviously maybe I'm being naive and optimistic about a scoring issue, and I could have just done much worse than I expected to.

For perspective:

Step 1- 532
Step 2- 412

I took step 2 after doing DIT, using step up, green book, finishing all of U-World and Combank and averaging a 70% on Combank. I did not take a COMSAE, as I didn't find them that helpful after using them for step 1. If anyone else feels something may be wrong with their score, let me know or message me. Thanks

what did it report the avg and the standard dev
Hi everyone,

So I just got my scores back yesterday and my step 2 score is drastically lower than my step 1 score. I took the exam on May 15, 2015, and I'm wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue. I know two others who took it on the same day and also received much lower scores than expected. I know there were problems and issues with step 2 scoring in summer and fall of 2014, and I'm wondering if something similar is going on. Obviously maybe I'm being naive and optimistic about a scoring issue, and I could have just done much worse than I expected to.

For perspective:

Step 1- 532
Step 2- 412

I took step 2 after doing DIT, using step up, green book, finishing all of U-World and Combank and averaging a 70% on Combank. I did not take a COMSAE, as I didn't find them that helpful after using them for step 1. If anyone else feels something may be wrong with their score, let me know or message me. Thanks

what was the reported avg and standard deviation?

Ive talked to 4 students now that have scores within 10 pts of their step 1. 50 of their comsae. Not sure what the national trend is and these are obviously heresay.

Last edited:
I took my exam on 5/15 as well and my score was much lower than my step 1 score (117 point difference). I went from a 510 on step 1 to a 393 on step 2. I studied by using dit, savarese, completing uworld, com bank, and comquest 1x each while doing about average overall (early scores were bad and later scores were significantly above average). I have already submitted for a rescore and I plan to email the nbome about this directly, as I have also talked to multiple people who did significantly worse than they expected.

How do you find the standard deviation and average? The score converter is not available for this date yet as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
What's with these huge drops in scores from level 1 to level 2?

To be honest the only place ive seen it is on sdn. Obviously there was the fiasco last year so you never know. But ive spoken with many ppl now and this did not happen to them.

I could be wrong, but I thought they provide the Mean & SD in a paragraph below that box that presents your score.

Nah it says what the mean/Sd usually are based on previous years. 540/100. It doesn't give any data on this year's results though

So did everyone think the test was hard or expected they did better? Did you find COMBANK, COMQUEST or UWorld most helpful? Also would you recommend the green book and Step up to step 2?

I'm shocked with the score drops compared to Level 1 scores...

So did everyone think the test was hard or expected they did better? Did you find COMBANK, COMQUEST or UWorld most helpful? Also would you recommend the green book and Step up to step 2?

I'm shocked with the score drops compared to Level 1 scores...

My thought is that the test was actually quite easy. Compared to step one, there were very very few *ridiculous* questions if you know what I mean. Thats why I think i may have done worse than I expected. Instead of hammering the most common topics, i probably cast too wide a net when studying.

Really know your "hospitalist" IM, your Peds, Ob/Gyn, and gen surg.
And of course omm.

I think i spent too much time on cardio, endocrine, Heme/onc, etc.

I took the test 5/15 too and am shocked at my drop - down 111 points. We all need to email the NBOME about the score drop and request a rescore. If enough people do, I think we may find that there is something wrong.

I took the test 5/15 too and am shocked at my drop - down 111 points. We all need to email the NBOME about the score drop and request a rescore. If enough people do, I think we may find that there is something wrong.

Step ahead of you partner. I already did. Gonna take much more than my email tho

Last edited:
You guys, didn't the scoring scale change for level 2 last year? Residencies should know about it... Apparently 95% of test takers will score below 600 with this new NBOME scale.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2014 cycle had this same problem.... In July 2014, the mean changed from 500 to 540 on level 2.

I wouldn't pay for confirmations, NBOME will probably do a rescore and re-release like they did last year.

Last edited:
All the more reason to focus on the USMLE and let the COMLEX (with all of its shenanigans) be an afterthought.

You guys, didn't the scoring scale change for level 2 last year? Residencies should know about it... Apparently 95% of test takers will score below 600 with this new NBOME scale.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2014 cycle had this same problem.... In July 2014, the mean changed from 500 to 540 on level 2.

I wouldn't pay for confirmations, NBOME will probably do a rescore and re-release like they did last year.

What new scale, and how certain are you that 95% will score below 600? That seems like a ridiculous number to score below some of the average scores for various residencies listed in the 2012 Match Results document. I, too, have scored significantly lower than my Step 1 and am very shocked as I did COMBANK, COMQUEST, and UWorld prior to then. I felt that the test wasn't too bad either, similar to any of the question banks and I didn't feel it was too difficult. I am wondering if I should send in a recheck as well because I am shocked. Went for 687 on Level 1 to 595 on Level 2.

What new scale, and how certain are you that 95% will score below 600? That seems like a ridiculous number to score below some of the average scores for various residencies listed in the 2012 Match Results document. I, too, have scored significantly lower than my Step 1 and am very shocked as I did COMBANK, COMQUEST, and UWorld prior to then. I felt that the test wasn't too bad either, similar to any of the question banks and I didn't feel it was too difficult. I am wondering if I should send in a recheck as well because I am shocked. Went for 687 on Level 1 to 595 on Level 2.

After reading the 2014 COMLEX Level 2 thread on SDN and what happened with them, I asked around and learned that NBOME has increased their average level 2 score to 540. You can also read about on their website under Level 2 scoring. Anyways, what everyone is saying is that they had their scores re-released after this scale adjustment was taken into account.

This is just based off of what the Class of 2015 went through. They also had the same issue.

Hopefully, somebody who has e-mailed NBOME and gotten an explanation can offer better insight.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

For perspective:

Step 1- 532
Step 2- 412

I went from 719 to 608. Seems like we are seeing a trend here. If the scale really is mean of 540 and 100 sd, which lets hope it's not, then we all did even worse. A 700 would be 95%...

Last edited:
Which comsae form would y'all recommend if I only did one of them? Is one of them more difficult than the others?

Which comsae form would y'all recommend if I only did one of them? Is one of them more difficult than the others?

I did A, B, C

Of those I think C was the better test followed by B.

So did anybody who got their score back get a higher score than Level 1?