Official 2015 Second Look / Revisit Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm honestly curious what people think they're going to get out of second look outside of a lighter wallet.

Depends on where you are in the application process. For me personally, I was genuinely deciding between a couple of places, and having the chance to revisit the school, again talk with students, and with the advantage of a more complete perspective (after going on interviews) was valuable. I agree that it's likely a waste of time and money if you're essentially set on where you're going to go. But then again, that's not really the applicant that these weekends are aimed at.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm honestly curious what people think they're going to get out of second look outside of a lighter wallet.
you tend to be able to look at a school with more open eyes, rather than your interview day when you might have had 0 acceptances and could care less that you just noticed an army of cockroaches crawl occupying seats in the student study area.

And even though the students at your interview day told you that you can ask any question you want and it wouldnt impact your admissions (we all know many people were still too worried about asking a stupid questions). Now that you've been accepted, you can ask real questions without feeling inappropriate - like, why should I pay 50k a year in tuition alone to come to this school?(worded politely, of course) any school scholarships? Whats with the cockroaches in the student lounge? How do you feel that most schools in the country have converted to ipads and this said school still requires students to purchase $2000 IBM computers from 1995 when you already have a Macbook?

Second look day - i think the school is interviewing to be chosen by you. However, all my schools are within driving distance, and gas is $1.62, so why not? I wouldnt fly to a second look day, though, i just dont have that expendable income.

also, im interested in seeing and talking to my potential classmates. One of my second look days had a tour of the hospital, reception, and happy hour set up by current students at a local bar in the city.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you're not trolling, it makes alot of sense to go if you're on the fence (like, REALLY on the fence). It also makes sense if your interview day was rushed/you were sick/were there during a weird time, etc, and still aren't sure what it's really like at a school. I personally am going to see how I like the other students that were accepted, because I hear class dynamics can vary from year to year.

So you're going to judge class dynamics based on a group of people that may or may not attend the university?

I know you are sincerely asking and not trolling. I understand not being interested in spending the money, but I and others are looking forward to second look(s).

I will be looking for . . . A sense for fit. A sense of place. A sense for the people at the institution. Plus, lots of time to get questions answered that are harder to ask on interview day.

If you want an opinion from someone who has attended a second look, here are some from wise SDNers: @jeghaber here, @Ismet et al here, @NickNaylor et al here (edit: and now on page 2 of this very thread).

Just like shadowing a doctor doesn't give you a clue as to what the 'life of a doctor' really entails, I don't think showing up to an organized weekend will really show you more about a school. Sure it might make you 'feel better' about something, but it's a weekend where the school is pulling out all the stops re:marketing.

Depends on where you are in the application process. For me personally, I was genuinely deciding between a couple of places, and having the chance to revisit the school, again talk with students, and with the advantage of a more complete perspective (after going on interviews) was valuable. I agree that it's likely a waste of time and money if you're essentially set on where you're going to go. But then again, that's not really the applicant that these weekends are aimed at.

I guess, but outside of location, what are you really going to glean from those interactions. If you're looking at similar schools they're going to have similar opportunities. Fit is cushy feely. Did you change an opinion you had post interview or post acceptance due to impressions from second look.

you tend to be able to look at a school with more open eyes, rather than your interview day when you might have had 0 acceptances and could care less that you just noticed an army of cockroaches crawl occupying seats in the student study area.

And even though the students at your interview day told you that you can ask any question you want and it wouldnt impact your admissions (we all know many people were still too worried about asking a stupid questions). Now that you've been accepted, you can ask real questions without feeling inappropriate - like, why should I pay 50k a year in tuition alone to come to this school?(worded politely, of course) any school scholarships? Whats with the cockroaches in the student lounge? How do you feel that most schools in the country have converted to ipads and this said school still requires students to purchase $2000 IBM computers from 1995 when you already have a Macbook?

Second look day - i think the school is interviewing to be chosen by you. However, all my schools are within driving distance, and gas is $1.62, so why not? I wouldnt fly to a second look day, though, i just dont have that expendable income.

I can see going if it's going to be inexpensive, but are you expecting anything other than a canned answer for things related to tuition etc. It's a weekend drenched in marketing.

also, im interested in seeing and talking to my potential classmates. One of my second look days had a tour of the hospital, reception, and happy hour set up by current students at a local bar in the city.

So you're going for the booze.
But I can drink with my friends at happy hour!

You asked for sincere responses. You got them, and I see that you disagree.

I hope that this thread can continue to be useful for its intended purpose, so if there are more responses on the value of second looks, perhaps someone can make a new thread.

I don't know if I would say that the experience changed my opinion, but when I woke up hung over on the last day of the revisit for my current school, I was sure that that's where I was going to attend. Even though it was the "leader" in terms of where I wanted to go prior to the revisit weekend, it made me more sure of my decision. For me, that was well worth the price of a plane ticket.

Happy to switch to a new thread however, unless the second look is credited with changing someones decisions regarding the school of choice, then it has limited utility. That's the statistical answer anyway.

I'm honestly reading the responses and seeing "Second look is great because reasons!".

I'll bow out now, but as someone potentially having to make this decision I'm just trying to figure out what new information I'd learn from one of these sessions. I guess I got rejected from one of the schools I interviewed at for asking all those 'not kosher' questions before the interview.

Also, @NickNaylor , we have totally different reactions to hangovers. Mine is usually FML...

Hangovers are cheaper than plane tickets man! Patron is certainly nice though!

This last post was a bit in jest, but I'll bow out. Hopefully there will be more constructive conversations on this stuff soon. I'll start a thread.

Happy to switch to a new thread however, unless the second look is credited with changing someones decisions regarding the school of choice, then it has limited utility. That's the statistical answer anyway.

I'm honestly reading the responses and seeing "Second look is great because reasons!".

I'll bow out now, but as someone potentially having to make this decision I'm just trying to figure out what new information I'd learn from one of these sessions. I guess I got rejected from one of the schools I interviewed at for asking all those 'not kosher' questions before the interview.

Also, @NickNaylor , we have totally different reactions to hangovers. Mine is usually FML...

A little bit of FML, a little bit of excitement/relief from having made the decision.

So you're going to judge class dynamics based on a group of people that may or may not attend the university?

Just like shadowing a doctor doesn't give you a clue as to what the 'life of a doctor' really entails, I don't think showing up to an organized weekend will really show you more about a school. Sure it might make you 'feel better' about something, but it's a weekend where the school is pulling out all the stops re:marketing.

I guess, but outside of location, what are you really going to glean from those interactions. If you're looking at similar schools they're going to have similar opportunities. Fit is cushy feely. Did you change an opinion you had post interview or post acceptance due to impressions from second look.

I can see going if it's going to be inexpensive, but are you expecting anything other than a canned answer for things related to tuition etc. It's a weekend drenched in marketing.

You need to remember that you will be spending the next 4 years of your life at the school you choose to attend. That's a significant portion of your life, of anyone's life thus far. FIT ABSOLUTELY MATTERS. Why would you want to go somewhere where you'll be miserable the next 4 years? I don't care if a school has a million resources for me, if that school is full of nasty people and has a student culture that really turns me off, then I will pick the school with fewer resources but filled with faculty and students that I will feel comfortable with and eventually grow to love spending time with. You gotta lay off on criticizing the "cushy feely" of the "becoming a physician" path because it's just as important as the logistical aspects.

1) most people who attended 2nd look for my current school ended up being my classmates. Usually you only attend a couple second looks, so the chances are pretty high that you're interacting with a lot of future classmates. Also you interact with upperclassmen. I judged my class dynamic on the people I met at second look and it was pretty spot on.

2) I did change an opinion after attending 2nd look. I had been considering 2 schools fairly equally and after attending the other school's second look, I was really put off by the dynamic with the acceptees and current students. My current school also had better opportunities, but there had been other things about this other school that made me seriously consider it. You might think fit is a "cushy" feel, but it makes a difference to some people.

Reactions: 2 users
Boston University: April 11
Case Western Reserve University: April 17 (might include whole weekend)
Columbia: April 10
Duke: March 20-22 (unconfirmed)
Eastern Virginia: April 10-11
George Washington University: April 7
Hofstra University: March 28-29
Jefferson: April 23-24
Johns Hopkins: April 9-12
Mayo Medical School: April 24-25
Medical College of Wisconsin: April 17
Mount Sinai (Icahn): March 13
Northwestern: March 26-27
Stanford: April 9-11
Temple: March 27
The Commonwealth Medical College: April 11
The Ohio State University: April 17-18
University of Arizona, Phoenix: April 10-11
University of California, Los Angeles: April 17-19 (unconfirmed)
University of California, San Diego: April 10-11
University of California, San Francisco: April 17-18
University of Chicago, Pritzker: April 10-12
University of Cincinnati: April 17
University of Colorado: April 9-10
University of Iowa: April 18
University of Miami, Miller: April 10-12
University of Michigan: April 17-18
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities: April 10
University of Pittsburgh: April 17
University of Rochester: April 17-18
University of Vermont: March 30
University of Virginia: March 13-14
University of Washington: March 27
University of Wisconsin: April 11
Vanderbilt: March 27-28
Wake Forest: March 20-21
Washington University: April 10-12
Western Michigan: April 10

Tufts: April 23rd (Office of Multicultural Affairs holding additional reception April 24th)

Stonybrook: April 17
Tufts: April 23rd (Office of Multicultural Affairs holding additional reception April 24th)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dartmouth: April 17-18
Western Michigan: April 10[/QUOTE]

University of Massachusetts: April 10

University of California, Los Angeles: April 17-18

**confirmed UCLA dates

NYU: April 17

Rush: April 10

University of Texas, San Antonio: March 6-7

Mount Sinai (Icahn): March 13-14

**Updated Sinai end date per admissions email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Duke: March 20-22

**Duke Second Look now confirmed.

Wait... Jefferson's 2nd look is during the workweek?

This thread is back! Might as well update it, at least for future generations.

Harvard: April 16-18
Penn: April 24-26
Yale: April 16-18

Harvard: April 16-18
LSU-New Orleans April 17
Penn: April 24-26