Official 2016 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
My average included my first NBME which was 7 weeks out from the exam. My last 3 NBME's had an average of 263 but I did those all within 9 days of the exam and didn't manage my time well otherwise. I can elaborate more of what I mean by that if you want. Suffice it to say, even though i felt off my game that day, it worked out well.

Thanks for sharing. And yes I would absolutely love an elaboration :)

I kind of understand what you're trying to say out there. Since you spent most of your last week doing NBMEs, you didn't get enough time to review the material. If you wouldn't have done that you could probably get a score closer to your higher NBMEs than to your average. It's still a great score so congratulations!
Any advice you wanna give for the last weeks? Would you say from your experience it's better to keep only 1 NBME per week for the last 2-3 weeks and spend rest of the time reviewing?

Thanks in advance

I forsaw this happening. Even still, this is ridiculous. Did the NBME not anticipate this sort of server overload?? This is torture!!

I eventually got through with my iphone. Make sure you turn off the pop-up blocker in settings. Each page took forever to load and all in all it was about 10 min. It feels like the days of dial up when you walk away to go get a snack while a page loads.

Finally got it! Couldn't finish loading the score on the website but i was able to download the score report pdf before it crapped out on me. More data points for people.

upload_2016-7-13_13-39-2.png

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyways I got the score I wanted (actually a little higher than the average of the 3 NBMEs I took). As everyone has said - trust your NBME scores.

Reactions: 1 users
how recently have any of you been able to get in and what did you do to access the site? I have tried for last 2.5 hours on multiple devices and browsers...

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me about 40 minutes and I was refreshing once a minute probably. I will probably get a bad eval but I have a good Step 1 score so it equals out (jk)

It took me 1.5 hours and I had chrome, firefox, and my phone open. I think the success rate is higher too if you don't change tabs or minimize while waiting for it to load.

It just worked for me.

I placed a pipette on the ground and stepped over it several times in rapid succession, turning to the right each time I stepped back over. On the fifth time it worked. But only in my Firefox browser--not Chrome.

I took the CBSSA in January and my score was somewhere in the 190s.
NBME 12: 215 (mid-March)
NBME 13: 237 (mid-April)
USWA 1: 247 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17: 264 (2 weeks out)
USWA 2: 254 (1 week out)

Real score: 260s! Took about 1.5 hours of refreshing to get it :wtf:

Feelings: I took the exam near the end of May. I didn't feel good or bad walking out of the test--more relieved than anything. Like others have mentioned, the questions were broad and shallow--there were a decent number of questions/answers that I had never seen before. Most questions seemed fair though. I highly recommend NOT looking up answers immediately after the test cuz it'll just cause more anxiety.

Resources: I got 75% first pass (timed, random) on UWorld and did about 50% of the questions for the first time in the two weeks before the exam <--this was stupid and terrible time management on my part so please don't do this to yourself!! Most of my blocks near the end were closer to 80-90%. I used FA and Pathoma and probably watched each Pathoma lecture about 3-4 times throughout the course of second year. I also used Sketchy but idk how helpful that was since most of my micro questions on the test seemed to cover topics that Sketchy didn't. If I had more time, I would have gone through my missed/marked questions in UWorld again and done a couple more practice tests. Doing well in classes was helpful too!

Last edited:
I was able to log in but when I clicked score report the link didn't open. This happen to anyone else? Now site is crashing and I can't log back in

I took the CBSSA in January and my score was somewhere in the 190s.
NBME 12: 215 (mid-March)
NBME 13: 237 (mid-April)
USWA 1: 247 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17: 264 (2 weeks out)
USWA 2: 254 (1 week out)

Real score: 260! Took about 1.5 hours of refreshing to get it :wtf:

Feelings: I took the exam near the end of May. I didn't feel good or bad walking out of the test--more relieved than anything. Like others have mentioned, the questions were broad and shallow--there were a decent number of questions/answers that I had never seen before. Most questions seemed fair though. I highly recommend NOT looking up answers immediately after the test cuz it'll just cause more anxiety.

Resources: I got 75% first pass (timed, random) on UWorld and did about 50% of the questions for the first time in the two weeks before the exam <--this was stupid and terrible time management on my part so please don't do this to yourself!! Most of my blocks near the end were closer to 80-90%. I used FA and Pathoma and probably watched each Pathoma lecture about 3-4 times throughout the course of second year. I also used Sketchy but idk how helpful that was since most of my micro questions on the test seemed to cover topics that Sketchy didn't. If I had more time, I would have gone through my missed/marked questions in UWorld again and done a couple more practice tests. Doing well in classes was helpful too!

Congrats on your brilliant score! :)

Can you provide an insight regarding the improvement from 247 to 264 in 1 week on your NBME 17? Was it only continuation of UWorld?

I'm so crushed.

5 weeks of dedicated:
Start of dedicated: 215
Two weeks Into Dedicated: 230
Four Weeks Into Dedicated: 220
Real Deal: 216.

(All practice tests were NBME)
uWorld Average: 77%.

****. All i wanted was a 230 so i could match into EM, and now everything is crushed. My school costs $60,000 a year, and i honestly don't know how i can pay that back working a low compensating specialty that i hate.

Congratulations to everyone who are getting their score today.
Can you please post your UW%/UWSA/NBME scores along with your prep material and your exam experience for the correlation.
It will help students who are yet to take the test.
Thanks.

I'm so crushed.

5 weeks of dedicated:
Start of dedicated: 215
Two weeks Into Dedicated: 230
Four Weeks Into Dedicated: 220
Real Deal: 216.

(All practice tests were NBME)
uWorld Average: 77%.

****. All i wanted was a 230 so i could match into EM, and now everything is crushed. My school costs $60,000 a year, and i honestly don't know how i can pay that back working a low compensating specialty that i hate.

I know lots of people who have matched EM lower than a 230. Anecdotally, I know someone with a 203 that matched EM. And keep in mind, 230 is the average. That means 50% of people are below that average. EM isn't extraordinarly competitive, your hopes and dreams aren't over. I'm so sorry you didn't get the score you wanted, but this just means you know you have to crush step 2, rev up the EC, and apply broadly. I don't think a 216 is the nail in the coffin for EM, I really don't. Keep your head up, friend.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats on your brilliant score! :)

Can you provide an insight regarding the improvement from 247 to 264 in 1 week on your NBME 17? Was it only continuation of UWorld?

Well I think the 264 might have been a little bit of a fluke at the time since I felt like I guessed on a decent amount. Once your score starts to get into the 240+ range, it really only takes a couple of questions to significantly change your score. But to answer your question, I only did UWorld and FA during that week.

I know lots of people who have matched EM lower than a 230. Anecdotally, I know someone with a 203 that matched EM. And keep in mind, 230 is the average. That means 50% of people are below that average. EM isn't extraordinarly competitive, your hopes and dreams aren't over. I'm so sorry you didn't get the score you wanted, but this just means you know you have to crush step 2, rev up the EC, and apply broadly. I don't think a 216 is the nail in the coffin for EM, I really don't. Keep your head up, friend.

What do you think the best way to rev up EC's in 3rd and 4th year are? I had leadership roles in two clubs during my 2nd year, although i have zero research publications

You guys are lapping us poor saps with high 230s/low 240s (amazing scores 5 years ago). Seriously - theses 260s are nuts...only on SDN

Reactions: 6 users
Gotta love the fact that I'm in the top of my class but ended up with a freaking 222 on this thing. I guess it's my fault for doing basically no questions. Stupidly didn't even finish Uworld once. I guess I should've listened to every medical student ever. Hate myself.

So I'm interested in peds, endo, and anesthesiology. Do I have a chance in any of these with a 222?

Gotta love the fact that I'm in the top of my class but ended up with a freaking 222 on this thing. I guess it's my fault for doing basically no questions. Stupidly didn't even finish Uworld once. I guess I should've listened to every medical student ever. Hate myself.

So I'm interested in peds, endo, and anesthesiology. Do I have a chance in any of these with a 222?
222 is not a bad score man. you will make it if you are a US grad.

wtf is wrong with the nbme website? It's been down forever. For those who got the scores today, when did you take the step 1?

251! I was hoping to have at least my average of 256 or higher but I will take it.

Reactions: 3 users
Step 1: 262 (6/23)

First Pass UWorld: 80%
UWSA1: 250
NBME 12: 254 (5/10)
NBME 13: 254 (5/20)
NBME 15: 266 (5/29)
NBME 16: 260 (6/05)
UWSA2: 266 (6/11)
Kaplan Sim 1: 83% (6/13)
NBME 17: 260 (6/16)
Kaplan Sim 2: 80% (6/18)
NBME 18: 262 (6/20)

NBME 18 was right on for me, and I felt like the real thing was a good blend of 17 and 18 in terms of difficulty.

Hello everyone,
What a long day..I have been locked out of my ecfmg account since the morning, lastly the ecfmg sent me a new password and I was able to get my score.
Thank God it turned a lot higher than what I thought it would be, especially given the many stupid mistakes I made on my exam day, and the fact that I had a block where I had 7 question that I left unanswered . I panicked on that block (it was also done after 5 blocks with only one 5 minute break, so please take your breaks) and I was starring at the screen for like 8 -10 minute. So, who ever has exam anxiety or panic around exam times please treat it before the exam cause it can really affect your performance.

My score turned out to be 258, I am very happy because I left the exam hoping I would end up with a 230 or so. But I guess the NBMEs don't lie. My score was right around the average of my NBMEs. I did all NBME from 7 to 18. Most of my scores were in the late 250s early 260s with a couple 269 and one 245. All of the NMBEs were within the last 3 months of my preparation period. I did the free 132 and got like 90% (10 weeks out). I only did
UWSA 2 around midway through studying and I got 254. I felt like the exam was somewhere in between Uworld and NBMEs in terms of difficulty.
I used First Aid, Uworld (cumulative first time around was 70%, didn't finish second round but cumulative was maybe 84- 86% (can't remember) but the scores were between 82% and 90% with outliers like 78 % or 100% every once and while. I used web path a lot, I find it a useful resource. I also used wikipedia a lot. I also used high yield anatomy and neuroanatomy but no time close to the test. Also used El Husseiny's Neurology notes. I found it here on SDN (they were pretty good). Used many websites for Radiology. Thats pretty much it.

Good Luck to you all!!

NBME 16 - 222 (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA 1 - 249 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 17 - 226 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2 -245 (1.5 weeks out)
NBME 18 - 232 (1 week out)
REAL: 240

I'm on cloud 9000!!

I was expecting maybe in the high 220's based on my NBME's. Walked out of the test feeling ok, but not happy cause I didn't get to go back and recheck any of my answers. I'm a pretty slow test taker so I'm glad that they went from 46 to 40 questions.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so happy for my NBME17/18 220-230s brothers and sisters doing so well on Step 1....giving me so much hope right now for a 240!

UWSA1 - 251
UWSA2 - 252
NBME 13 - 251
NBME 18 - 256
NBME 16 - 239
NBME 17 - 251

Real deal - 244

Funny how I never got anywhere in the 240's on practice tests (so of course that's where I end up on the real thing)

I was dreaming of a higher score (as should be evident from my NBME's) but overall I am thankful that it wasn't a disaster (below my lowest). Could be a lot worse, and this keeps my options pretty open. I was never shooting for derm or ortho, although ENT may be a stretch with this score....

Good luck to everyone else trying to access the site.

Reactions: 2 users
FINALLY got my score: 246!

NBME 12 - low 220s
NBME 13 - low 220s
NBME 15 - 241
NBME 17 - 239
NBME 16 - 251 (took it out of order)
Free 120 - 89%

Reactions: 4 users
I would like thank everyone who posted their experiences and gave their genuine advice on this forum. They really made a difference in my journey towards the results I achieved. Thanks to all for your support.
Special thanks to phloston, transposing, Tasar1898 and the other active members who made a difference on this forum!

I took the exam on June 30th. Any idea when us late test takers will be getting our scores?

M-1: During this year the only boards-specific resources that I used were SketchyMicro and the first 3 chapters of Pathoma. I did well in classes, but I am not a fan of my school’s curriculum and don’t think it contributed significantly to my performance.

M-2:
July to Feb: Completed Pathoma, Goljan audio lectures, and Kaplan Pharmacology with each school module.
March:
- One 44-question block of UWorld per day. I only did questions on material that was covered in school by then (we had 2 organ systems left at this point). I finished my first pass of UWorld right before I started my dedicated study period (64% average).
- Review of topics that I felt weak in: embryology, physiology, pharmacokinetics, autonomic pharmacology, immunology.
- Anki - I started using brosencephalon’s Step 1 deck. I only ever got through ~1/2 of it, but it really solidified certain weak topics for me that I thought I’d never remember/understand (cardiac blood supply, congenital immunodeficiencies, heme/onc).​
April to June: dedicated study period
2nd pass of UWorld
1.75x FA
1x Pathoma
SketchyMicro
1x Kaplan Biostatistics, Biochemistry, Pharmacology videos
~2/3 of BRS Physiology (in retrospect it was overkill for Step 1)
Made my own Anki cards with easy-to-forget information from the above sources​

I tried parts of various other sources (Firecracker, UWorld Biostats review, Secrets, HY Neuroanatomy, etc.) throughout M1 and M2 that were not helpful to my performance on Step 1.

If I had to do it again, I would use the same resources that I used and add a few things:
- Personal anki cards beginning in M-1
- “Rapid Review Pathology” by Goljan or BRS Pathology during M-2
- Kaplan videos for weak subjects throughout M-1 and M-2 (for me: biochemistry, neuroanatomy, behavioral sciences)
- Kaplan and USMLE-Rx questions during M-2 along with coursework​

I took COMLEX before USMLE, and I did some questions in combank and read Savarese for the 3 days before COMLEX. I did very little COMLEX-specific prep and focused exclusively on the USMLE (except for the 3 days preceding the COMLEX). I scored well on the OMM COMAT a couple months before COMLEX, so I wasn’t too worried. In retrospect, I should have done more Neuroanatomy prep, as that was a glaring weakness during Level 1.

COMSAE E = 518 (3 months out)
COMLEX Level 1 >650

UWorld 1st pass avg = 64%
UWorld 2nd pass avg = 81%

NBME 12 = 224 (9 weeks out, beginning of dedicated)
NBME 13 = 230 (8 weeks out)
NBME 15 = 234 (7 weeks out)
NBME 16 = 234 (6 weeks out)
NBME 18 = 241 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 1 = 251 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 2 = 251 (2 weeks out)
NBME 17 = 256 (1.5 weeks out)
USMLE Step 1 >260

Last edited:
congratulations to everyone here but seriously seeing all these scores makes me wanna kill myself. not even close to you guys.

congratulations to everyone here but seriously seeing all these scores makes me wanna kill myself. not even close to you guys.

Same. I averaged about 230, maybe slightly less for both UWorld and NBME's, which isn't bad but I'm still hoping for higher. There are several people on here with similar practice scores who ended up having huge jumps on the real thing, so I really really hope that will be me, but on the bright side, if my NBME's were accurate, it's an all right score.

Ahh got a 227... Comlex was a 581.. Any shot at M.D. ER, internal, or anesthesia? Fellow D.O. here! Congrats to those who jt or exceeded their practice scores!