Official 2016 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I took my exam on 26th October (Wednesday). Will I receive my score this Wednesday? November 16, 2016 will be my 3rd Wednesday. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks MaRcO16. Since my eligibility period ended in October, my scheduling permit disappeared long time back. But I calculated that the score may be released this week (3rd Wednesday). This wait is killing me. :eek::hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out that i failed my usmle step 1 today with a low grade, i got 175, my nmbes were just find as i posted before, but as i said my exam it was so hard, well i need to prepare better this time, and another 3 months i will be ready to play again. i wish the best luck to all the people that are waiting for the score and get the best prepare for those that are going to take the exam sooner.

I found out that i failed my usmle step 1 today with a low grade, i got 175, my nmbes were just find as i posted before, but as i said my exam it was so hard, well i need to prepare better this time, and another 3 months i will be ready to play again. i wish the best luck to all the people that are waiting for the score and get the best prepare for those that are going to take the exam sooner.
65 points below your last NBME 18 exam...? That's insane. I'm sorry to hear that man.

Reactions: 1 users
65 points below your last NBME 18 exam...? That's insane. I'm sorry to hear that man.

My weak areas resemble on genetics biostat and behavior science any recomendation about it.

For those areas i need something like for dummiesss i really suck on that.

I'm an IMG, got my results this Wednesday, here's how I did:

NBME 12 (August 12th): 222
NBME 13 (September 28th): 247
NBME 15 (October 14th): 247
NBME 16 (October 19th): 247

Free 120 (October 23rd): 91% (~254)

Real deal (October 24th): 261

As you can see, my NBME scores stagnated for 3 weeks. I also ended up getting much higher than my predicted in my exam.

If anyone out there is in need of motivation, here it is. 250+ isn't impossible. I'm an average student. I actually did poorly my first 2 years of med school, and kinda got my life together the next few years, but I'm no genius. I studied my literal ass off the last couple of weeks before my exam, and I ended up doing better in my actual exam.

Stay focused, work hard, pray for the best and you'll see the fruits of your efforts. I did it, you can too.

Reactions: 9 users

As you can see, my NBME scores stagnated for 3 weeks. I also ended up getting much higher than my predicted in my exam.

If anyone out there is in need of motivation, here it is. 250+ isn't impossible. I'm an average student. I actually did poorly my first 2 years of med school, and kinda got my life together the next few years, but I'm no genius. I studied my literal ass off the last couple of weeks before my exam, and I ended up doing better in my actual exam.

Stay focused, work hard, pray for the best and you'll see the fruits of your efforts. I did it, you can too.

Amazing job! Congrats! Thank you for this post :)

Congrats, can you tell us how you studied as an IMG? TIA!

My Step 1 is in 5 weeks, and I'm super anxious and depressed... here are my stats so far... my goal is 240. Do you think I can do it???

• NBME 13 (offline) (6m) = 74% (210)
• USMLE Rx Complete (4m) = 75%
• NBME 1 (offline) (4m) = 72% (205)
• USMLE Rx Half-Simulation (4m) = 77%
• NBME 2 (offline) (4m) = 76% (215)
• NBME 3 (offline) = 80% (225)
• NBME 4 (offline) = 82% (230)
• NBME 5 (offline) = 79% (223)
• NBME 12 (ONLINE) (3m) = 500 (228)
• NBME 6 (offline) (2.5m) = 83.5% (232)
• NBME 7 (offline) (2.5m) = 85% (236)
• UWorld Qbank (2m) 1st pass (timed, random) = 71%
• NBME 11 (1.5m) = 87% (242)
• Kaplan Simulated Exam-1 (6 wks) = 73%

5 weeks left... freaking out.

In the next few weeks I'll be doing the more recent NBMEs, the 2nd Kaplan Sim, the UWSAs, UW 2nd pass, Rx 2nd pass, and USMLE Free 150.

Last edited:
I am freaking out. Starting to lose motivation and become a little depressed. I have been studying for step for seven months and my NBME scores are not up to par.

What should I be scoring on NBME to have a good chance of passing the real thing?

I have studied for 6-7 months now, and my practice test scores have not been up to par.

My first NBME six months ago: 153
2nd NBME 6 weeks later: 168
3rd NBME 4 weeks later: 183
4th NBME 4 weeks later: 190 (approx 70 percent correct)
5th NBME 4 weeks later: 189 (approx 70 percent correct)

I am about to finish my second pass of First Aid and my second pass of UWorld. For the past 6 weeks, I have been a lot more efficient with my studying. The first 4 months were not efficient at all.

I took UWSA 1, and scored a 51 percent, a month ago. (178)
Took UWSA 2, and scored a 51 percent again, but my three digit score fell to 168. I don't know how Uworld comes up with their scales, but scoring 51 percent is pretty bad.

My first pass through Uworld was a 52%. My second pass of Uworld (done with 1/2 of it) is 63%.

I am starting to think I am never going to pass this test. I just want to score a 192 on the real thing.

I have about 2 weeks until my step date. I am going to take another NBME this weekend.

Has anyone else struggled like me? What should I be scoring on NBME to have a good chance of passing this test. Please help.

If anyone has any advice, tips, I would really appreciate it.

@FTT375 I think you should postpone... If you are not scoring 200+ on the NBME, there is a high likelihood that you might fail.

Do a 3rd pass of FA and Uworld, perhaps that might do it.

Are you an IMG?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
W19 thank you for the reply. No I am a US MD. All my friends are done with step one and have moved on to third year. I am still stuck with this I know I screwed myself over when I didn't have a good plan in place, but I have no other choice but to keep pushing on.

Anyone else have any advice, support that they can provide? Anyone else been in a similar position.

Don't get discouraged! You are close to a passing score based on NBME practice exams... If you are ok with primary care, a passing score might be all you need as a US MD student...

Last edited:
@FTT375 have you thought about doing one of the study programs like DIT, USMLERx, or Kaplan? I used DIT and really liked it. I know the SDN hive mind usually doesn't encourage them, and not everybody needs them, but if you're struggling with putting it all together it might be a good idea.

Thanks, I have been giving it my all but I guess it is not enough. Maybe I will be the kid who gets kicked out of a US MD school. It has to happen to someone, so I guess it is me.

I came into medical school with a normal application (3.8+ gpa and 32 Mcat). Now I can't even pass step one.

I don't know how to make sense of this. I will give another NBME a try this upcoming week, and I hope I can do better.

Thanks, I have been giving it my all but I guess it is not enough. Maybe I will be the kid who gets kicked out of a US MD school. It has to happen to someone, so I guess it is me.

I came into medical school with a normal application (3.8+ gpa and 32 Mcat). Now I can't even pass step one.

I don't know how to make sense of this. I will give another NBME a try this upcoming week, and I hope I can do better.
I think you'll get there @FTT375 , but I agree that you should maybe delay until you consistently score above 200. I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged.

I think part of the issue may be with how you're using U World. Going from 52% to 63% isn't a big jump between passes. Are you spending adequate time understanding how and why you got questions incorrect? The money in using U World isn't just doing a bunch of practice problems, it's in the answer explanations. If you don't have time for a full third pass, I'd do your incorrects again, this time taking all the time you need to learn and understand the explanations. Makes notes or flashcards, whatever you need to do. Do not rush through it!

Hope that's helpful. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

I think you'll get there @FTT375 , but I agree that you should maybe delay until you consistently score above 200. I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged.

I think part of the issue may be with how you're using U World. Going from 52% to 63% isn't a big jump between passes. Are you spending adequate time understanding how and why you got questions incorrect? The money in using U World isn't just doing a bunch of practice problems, it's in the answer explanations. If you don't have time for a full third pass, I'd do your incorrects again, this time taking all the time you need to learn and understand the explanations. Makes notes or flashcards, whatever you need to do. Do not rush through it!

Hope that's helpful. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Wow thank-you all for the encouraging responses! You are right in that I need to be spending more time reviewing UWorld. I didn't think about that but it's true that I didn't spend as much time as possible reviewing my incorrect and correct answers.

Scored a 205 on a repeat NBME. I never reviewed the NBME last time I took it and it was 6 months ago. I still have one NBME that I have never taken. Taking it next weekend and see how it goes

Hey so I'm really inspired by your post. I want a 250 + but my name scores so far are name 16= 251, name 17 about 2 weeks later = 247 and uwsa2= 249. I'm taking name 18 in 2 days after I finish my world. I'm scared I won't cut through the 250 mark. Any advice?

My last few nbmes were like this
Nbme 15 . 245 (more than 30 days before)
Nbme 16. 247(18 days before)
Nbme 18. 252(10 days before)
Nbme 17. 256( 3 days before)
But on test i made lot of stupid mistakes. i guess like 22 i have counted. and it could go upto 32.
Any chance of 250?

I had almost the same statistics
NBME 13 two month out 251
NBME 15 three weeks out 245
NBME 16 two weeks out 249
NBME 17 two weeks out 256
Practice session (free 120) 94%
NBME 18 five days out 249
real deal 254
and I definitely did a lot of stupid mistakes
I think you have a very good chance of 250+

Last edited:
@FTT375 don't give up! Do you have a certain time by which you have to take the exam or any other reason to take it at the currently registered date? Or is there more time you can take/can you extend within eligibility period/apply for a new eligibility period?

Did you count your mistakes? i made so stupid i couldnt even imagine. :( and now i am really stressed. i know 22 or 32 number is not really a big one but they were really easy questions like 14 of them rest needed some thinking.

What did you study from August to September that made such an improvement in your scores? Just the usual I assume? FA and Uworld? How many times did you do it?

Yep, the 222 was after my first read of FA and UWorld, so I wasn't too flustered because I knew I hadn't memorized things properly. I did FA 2 more times (tried my best to memorize it) and another pass of UWorld.

Congrats, can you tell us how you studied as an IMG? TIA!

My two main resources were FA and UWorld. My biostats, biochem and immuno were EXTREMELY weak (didn't care much for them during med school), so for biostats I did some Kaplan video lectures, and for biochem and immuno I did Dr Najeeb at 2.3x speed. Also, YouTube is your friend. I watched a lot of YouTube videos on basic stuff that I didn't understand and spent my time trying to grasp everything during my first read (spent almost a day on the first page of pharma!). I also did Pathoma for every block and a bit of DIT sprinkled here and there.

Hey so I'm really inspired by your post. I want a 250 + but my name scores so far are name 16= 251, name 17 about 2 weeks later = 247 and uwsa2= 249. I'm taking name 18 in 2 days after I finish my world. I'm scared I won't cut through the 250 mark. Any advice?

Hey! First off, your NBME scores are much better than mine were (you've already hit 250 once). I think you can cut 250 easily. Focus on the stuff you try avoiding (that one page in biochem you always tend to skip) and try to understand the page + memorize it. Depending on how much time you have left till your exam, you might even cut 260 if you put your heart into it. Keep going!

Hey! First off, your NBME scores are much better than mine were (you've already hit 250 once). I think you can cut 250 easily. Focus on the stuff you try avoiding (that one page in biochem you always tend to skip) and try to understand the page + memorize it. Depending on how much time you have left till your exam, you might even cut 260 if you put your heart into it. Keep going!
Did you count your mistakes?

Can i ask that the usmle id you put in nbme website to access your result is same as the one one you put in oasis account? i randomly tried and it says not valid.

You made these types of mistakes? like the ones you shouldnt. :|

Sure, everybody makes stupid mistakes on the real thing.
I can't guarantee you a good score, but obsessing over it now won't help.
Try to get some distraction, travel if you have the time, bingewatch Netflix or immerse yourself in your rotations (if you've already started).

Did you count your mistakes?

Yup, I even made a document on my laptop so I could list all the mistakes I could remember :laugh:. I had around 14 clear-cut mistakes that I vividly remembered. The thing is, I forgot most of the exam once I left the testing centre, it was like my mind was wiped. So I estimate I made around 20-25 mistakes minimum.

Sure, everybody makes stupid mistakes on the real thing.
I can't guarantee you a good score, but obsessing over it now won't help.
Try to get some distraction, travel if you have the time, bingewatch Netflix or immerse yourself in your rotations (if you've already started).
Nah man i have my final proff in 25 days. :D

O
Yup, I even made a document on my laptop so I could list all the mistakes I could remember :laugh:. I had around 14 clear-cut mistakes that I vividly remembered. The thing is, I forgot most of the exam once I left the testing centre, it was like my mind was wiped. So I estimate I made around 20-25 mistakes minimum.
OKay thankyou. i remmeberd 258 questions. :D 10 i forgot. sadly...

I have exactly 14 days till my exam. I'll take nbme 18 tomorrow and let you know how it goes but I'm scared because I hear it drops your points and your confidence

Which Qbank to do first: Kaplan or RX? Thanks!

I can easily say that Kaplan is much harder. I have done both and I'm continuing to do both. I feel that Kaplan is more nitpicky but it also throw stuff that you don't expect like the real exam from what I'm told from my upperclassman. If you can afford both do them and then do uworld last

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I can easily say that Kaplan is much harder. I have done both and I'm continuing to do both. I feel that Kaplan is more nitpicky but it also throw stuff that you don't expect like the real exam from what I'm told from my upperclassman. If you can afford both do them and then do uworld last

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ok so it looks like Rx --> Kaplan --> UWorld is the way to go.

So my final nbme which was 18 was a 250. Now all that's left is the free 120 and my exam is 14days from now