Official 2017-2018 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do not think there is much higher applicants this year. I think it is about the same. I asked program coordinators wherever I went interviews and they said this year is about the same as last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently asked by an APD if I knew how many internal vs external spots were at my program
I wanted to respond, "Heck should I know, but if you find out, I would be thrilled to know!"

I met several applicants during my interviews, most people have 8-15 interviews. I only have 5 and feel depressed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
5 interviews is the good number. I also asked many candidates during interview days. Most of them are having 3-7 interviews. More than 10 is unusual number and usually they have PhDs or masters degrees. One candidate doing hospitalist only having 3 interviews. Another one who is doing primary care has 2 interviews. AMGs said they will only go to 5-6 interviews. People can exaggerate and can tell u that they have many interviews and they want u to feel depress which will lead to underperform during interview day. To date, I got more than 10 interviews ( I have 12 publications indexed in PubMed) and I always tell other candidates that I got around 5 interviews if they ask me. My point is candidates who have more than 10 interviews will unlikely to tell u the real number and they will tell u that they only have 5 or 6 interviews. Also, no one is going to 15 interviews since it is too expensive and time constraint. So don't worry.

I'm hoping to match with one interview by God's grace. Cost = one ticket + one night of hotel cost. Done! December come quick please :)

IMG, US citizen, Got total 10 interviews, cancelled one due to location, attended 7. Still have 2 more to go.

Rejections Letters:
- 8/9: NYU
- 8/11: HSS
- 8/17: Montefiore
- 9/21: MGH
- 10/6: Stanford

With interviews wrapping up anyone care to discuss ROL or strange interview questions?!

With interviews wrapping up anyone care to discuss ROL or strange interview questions?!
Lets do ROL now and we can always do strange interview questions later to help next year's applicants

Lets do ROL now and we can always do strange interview questions later to help next year's applicants

Because I have a lot of feelings and I'd love to see people sharing interview impressions, I'll just start with my own biases. I don't care about location, but I do value breath of training, subspecialty centers, faculty size, and not least research opportunities (ideally great in both basic/ translational and clinical). With that said:
  1. Johns Hopkins
  2. HSS/Cornell/MSKCC
  3. BWH (hurt by having 5 university rheum programs in 1 city)
  4. Cleveland Clinic
  5. Stanford (awesome basic research)
  6. MGH (hurt by having 5 university rheum programs in 1 city)
  7. UCSF
  8. Yale (awesome basic research)
  9. NYU
  10. UCLA
  11. NYPH/Columbia
  12. - 16. Colorado/ Mayo/ Duke/ Penn/ UMich (in some order)

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I have a lot of feelings and I'd love to see people sharing interview impressions, I'll just start with my own biases. I don't care about location, but I do value breath of training, subspecialty centers, faculty size, and not least research opportunities (ideally great in both basic/ translational and clinical). With that said:
  1. Johns Hopkins
  2. HSS/Cornell/MSKCC
  4. Cleveland Clinic
  7. UCSF
  9. NYU
  10. UCLA
  11. NYPH/Columbia

Wow, you finished 16 interviews and all are super programs. Nobody can compete with you.

1. Johns Hopkins
  2. HSS/Cornell/MSKCC
  4. Cleveland Clinic
  7. UCSF
  9. NYU
  10. UCLA
  11. NYPH/Columbia
U will do phenomenal. Best of luck :)

when will the program finalize the ranking list?
Are there still some programs in the process of interview?

Anyone care to share their thoughts on what they thought about the NYC programs? Interested to hear others opinions on HSS, Columbia, Sinai, and NYU.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on what they thought about the NYC programs? Interested to hear others opinions on HSS, Columbia, Sinai, and NYU.
HSS is FANTASTIC followed by NYU then Columbia the Sinai

Any thoughts on how to rank New England programs: Tufts, BU, UMass and Brown?

Any thought on having your current PD contact your top choice program? I know of others applying to other specialties do this.

U already have LOR from PD. That's the PD opinion of u. U can ask your PD but I don't think it will be deciding factor to your application.

Thank you...I am well aware that Yale is NOT in NYC
In terms of ranking...how does it compare to the NYC programs?

Thank you...I am well aware that Yale is NOT in NYC
In terms of ranking...how does it compare to the NYC programs?

This is the wrong question. Ranking is meaningless, how it fits with what you want to do with your career is everything. It’s stregth is basic science. I think HSS is a little bit stronger across the board but not necessarily in basic science and immunology. The other programs are equal to a little weaker.

Went to 9 interviews. I personally do not like 3 programs since they have only have one fellow per year and I will be on call every other day. So, I am ranking 6 programs. I think 6 programs will be good number to match. How do u think guys? Do you receive any emails or phone calls from program directors that you will be ranked high?

Went to 9 interviews. I personally do not like 3 programs since they have only have one fellow per year and I will be on call every other day. So, I am ranking 6 programs. I think 6 programs will be good number to match. How do u think guys? Do you receive any emails or phone calls from program directors that you will be ranked high?
I did not receive any.

CW is rank any place you would rather be than have to go through the scramble (and for fellowship its still the scramble)...the 3 you do not like...would you rather reapply next year than be the only fellow?

that being said, you are probably safe with 6, but you have to think about the what if...what if you don't match? are you going to be kicking yourself that you didn't rank those 3 places or are you ok with it?

Guys would anyone be willing to offer their input /thoughts on ranking the following programs? Having a really tough time ranking and would really appreciate any advice. Slight NE preference.

BU, tufts, bidmc, Jefferson, temple, duke, unc, wake forest, Maryland, uscd, scripps green, uwash, washu.

Thanks !.

Guys would anyone be willing to offer their input /thoughts on ranking the following programs? Having a really tough time ranking and would really appreciate any advice. Slight NE preference.

BU, tufts, bidmc, Jefferson, temple, duke, unc, wake forest, Maryland, uscd, scripps green, uwash, washu.

Thanks !.

Duke
UCSD ~ UWash ~ WashU
BIDMC ~ BU
Maryland ~ UNC
Rest

If I choose research track , will I be confident to practice clinically in clinics? Please give me advice

Here's the top of my rank list so far...anybody have thoughts?
1. UW (Seattle)
2. UPMC (Pittsburgh)
3. Duke
4. Rush (Chicago)
5. Colorado
6. Penn
Looking for breadth of training, fun city, nice attendings, probably staying in academics, don't want a fellowship where I'm getting home at 7 every night and working a ton of weekends.

I don't know how you could rank Penn and Colorado below Rush.

Has anyone received a call from a PD or program member about their interest/ranking etc prior to rank list deadline?

Has anyone received a call from a PD or program member about their interest/ranking etc prior to rank list deadline?
that is probably a match violation.

they can tell you anything....they want you, are ranking you highly, yada yada, but they can't ask you anything on those lines...as can't you...that too is a match violation.

I have not received any of those but its not unheard of. It is a match violation but realistically speaking, programs do call/email and express their interest and vice versa...
that is probably a match violation.

they can tell you anything....they want you, are ranking you highly, yada yada, but they can't ask you anything on those lines...as can't you...that too is a match violation.

Best of Luck, Everyone! The countdown begins :)

Good Luck Tomorrow to Everyone!!!

So exited and anxious at the same time!
Best of luck tomorrow every one.
Please come back and post where you match.

So, anybody matched? How is matching rate this year? More competitive or less competitive this year?

matched

upload_2017-12-6_14-18-52.png

upload_2017-12-6_14-19-25.png