Official 2017 Match Results!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
s/o to everyone lurking just waiting for @CasaLoma

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

School: Top 30ish
Step Scores: On the poopier side. Step 1: 234, Step 2 CK: 223 (took at the end of December of interview season and epically failed at studying), Step 2 CS: Pass, 1st attempt
Grades: Honors Medicine, Honors OB/GYN, Honors Peds: High Pass Psychiatry, High Pass Surgery, Pass Neurology, Pass Family Medicine/Primary Care (grading rubric: 50% students in a block receive Pass, next 30% above get High Pass, top 20% of each block receives Honors)
Research: A summer research fellowship at UCSF + a summer of research in undergrad, both in the same topic. No publications.
AOA: AOA Yes, also GHHS

EC’s: A huge part of my application. Founded and ran a free clinic, leader of a student group, a couple of unique outside-of-school hobbies/interests I spend a lot of time on and actively work on developing (some languages, dance)
Interview Invites:

Attended: BWH, UCSF, MGH (Med-Peds), UCLA, Johns Hopkins, UW, Cornell, NYU, Einstein/Montefiore, UCSD, Yale, Mount Sinai, University of Michigan, Harbor-UCLA, home institution (hmmm I wonder what order these are listed in…)

Invited but didn’t Attend: University of Chicago (IM + Med-Peds), Northwestern, OHSU, UC Davis, Brown (IM + Med-Peds), University of Colorado (IM + Med-Peds), Tufts, Cedars-Sinai, Kaiser SF, Kaiser Oakland, Penn (Med-Peds), Yale PC, Cambridge Health Alliance, Hopkins-Bayview, Rush (IM + Med-Peds), Virginia Mason, WashU

Rejections: MGH (IM), Penn (IM), Columbia, Stanford, BWH (Med-Peds), BIDMC

Rejections, Silent: BMC, USC (IM + Med-Peds), Scripps Green, Yale (Med-Peds)

Matched (+ # on ROL): #3, MGH (Med-Peds)!! Say whaat?

Advice
:

Holy mother of whatever, it’s been a ride. First of all, you guys are the sweetest for the shoutouts (especially @banjo10 , we’re buddies, right? Maybe?). I’ve really enjoyed everyone's company in this process, and especially to @gutonc thank you. A HUGE thank you. You guys have all been so helpful, and I’ve used SDN for a long time as an absolutely invaluable resource for feeling comfortable with and knowing how to navigate this crazy process.

1. I was clearly pretty bad at gauging my own competitiveness (I found out about AOA/GHHS almost right before I applied, as well as my MSPE grouping), but I do not regret applying to so many programs. I applied very broadly, and obviously canceled a lot of interview invites, but the opportunity cost of applying to a lot of programs up front was low. For peace of mind, I felt that applying to a lot and broadly helped me, although in terms of scheduling it was an absolute nightmare and may have made my interview season hellish. So clearly pros and cons to this approach.

2. The Match is cray. Seriously. I was surprised initially at where I ended up, but I’m so freaking excited for it now that I’ve processed it. #3 takes a little bit to process, and it’s okay. I REAAAAALLY ended up going with gut feeling in those final stages of agonizing over the rank list. I was one of those horrid people who agonized forever and changed their #3-6 a gajillion times and annoyed the crap out of everyone. I was realistic and realized that my #1 and #2 were extremely competitive, and took a lot of time carefully thinking through 3-6. The IM match, and Med-Peds match, have gotten insanely competitive at the top, and despite getting some great invites, I never shed the self-doubt, and rightfully so. On the LAST day the rank list was due, I moved MGH Med-Peds up to #3, because I realized that I would be freaking ecstatic to see it on my envelope, whereas my 4-6 I just wouldn’t feel it. I realized that opening up the envelope and seeing 4-6 would elicit disappointment, whereas seeing #3 would make me happy. So I went with that. I was in love with my #3 when I interviewed, but it initially got lost in the wake of my love affair with my #1. I have always been torn and indecisive between IM and MP, and ultimately ended up ranking mostly IM programs because of a better feeling of fit with IM primary care programs. MGH was the one MP program I felt a deep connection with, and ranked it according to that feeling as the distinguishing factor between it and other programs of equal repute (looking at you, Hopkins). Looking back, it’s important to not get too stuck on your #1, because matching to your #3 is super real and also super awesome. I’m lucky AF.

3. I feel that what got me most of my interviews was the theme I coalesced my application around. My PS, EC’s, and CV are all centered around a theme, one that has carried me through and motivated me. The unusual-ness of my interests/hobbies and how they tie into my PS, EC’s, and CV were brought up on almost every single interview, and were sometimes cited as the reason I was invited, in addition to my academic qualifications. I feel strongly that these elements were the most important factor other than AOA/GHHS that got me interviews and my match.

4. I didn’t do any post-interview communication, for better or for worse. Just didn’t have the energy for it. I received emails from 2 programs saying they were “impressed with my application and thought I would be a good fit” pre-rank list submission, all other programs remained silent.

5. I wonder if my crap-tastic Step 2 CK score affected my rank position at my #1 and #2. I was slated to take it in July 4th year, but a family issue came up and I had to delay it very significantly. By December, I was too tired from interviews to study and had forgotten information from third year. I do not recommend delaying CK like I did. A colleague who also delayed to the end of December also did not score well on CK.

6. Feedback from programs during interviews – VERY tough to interpret. The program I matched at was very excited about me on interview day, and it was clear they really liked my application and were pumped to have me there. My #1, however, was also pretty pumped, and I got some exceptional feedback from one of the PD’s on interview day, just as effusive as the leadership at my #3 on interview day. I would accept the compliments, bask in the acknowledgement of your accomplishments and strengths, but ultimately not attempt to interpret this. Just enjoy the moment, take in your interviews, and move forward.

7. Keep an open mind throughout this process, and allow yourself to consider each program you interview it as your possible dream program/where you’ll actually be a resident. I came into the process being gung-ho California-bound, and ended up completely falling for Boston when I went there for interviews. It’s much closer to home and my support system, and I felt that I could have a lot of what I loved about California in Boston, but also be close to home. I realized family was a big priority, moreso than the allure of California, and so I went with it.

8. The process is EXHAUSTING. I expected interviews and traveling to be exhilarating and liberating. It was illuminating and I learned an incredible amount about what I truly value and what kind of career I truly want from imagining myself at each program, but I was as tired during peak interview season as I was on Medicine or Surgery clerkship.

9. Also, rejected by one program at an institution and invited/matched at another-- not sure how that happened? Still grateful? Thoughts?

Overall, I wouldn’t have in any obscenely long quantity of time have predicted where I ended up, and yet I am completely thrilled. I never thought I had a shot at Hahvahd or whatever, and was 100% sure I wanted California. I didn’t even really consider Boston at all until I happened to get some interviews there and was like, welp, I guess I’m going to these interviews? Hope Boston’s okay? Plan carefully and rigorously, know and learn all you can from people like gutonc and some of the gems on SDN, don’t listen much to your deans (mine gave me some crazy inaccurate advice), and embrace your neurotic side if that’s your process. Do YOUR process, not other people’s, because everyone functions and thrives differently, so if SDN makes you anxious, don’t use it, and if you feel empowered by gauging competitiveness/comparing the length of programs’ p—restige/etc, then run with that too.

WOW WHY IS THIS SO LONG WHO AM I EVEN.

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
School: Mid-tier (top 40ish?)
Step Scores: 270+/270+/P (both CS and CK released with ERAS)
Grades: All H except EM (HP)
Research: PhD, >10 pubs with many first author
AOA: Junior, plus GHHS
Rank: if they rank us they don't tell us but probably very near the top
Interview Invites: Hopkins, UCSD (PSTP), U Chicago (PSDP), Northwestern (PSTP), Wash U (PSTP), Mayo (CI), Stanford (TIP), MGH (PSP), BWH, BIDMC, UCSF (Molecular Medicine), home program
Invited, Declined: U Washington, U Colorado (PSTP), Tufts, UC Davis, Penn (PSP), Yale (PSTP), Vanderbilt (PSTP), OHSU
Rejections: UCLA, BU (PSTP) - both silent

Matched (+ # on ROL): Bay area program (#1)

Advice
:
- Coming from a decent (but not top-tier) school, I wasn't sure who would be interested in me. Obviously I was pleasantly surprised, but as a result I also considered a lot of places I might not have otherwise. Honestly I wish I could match to all of my top 8 or so programs, and I wish I could have interviewed at several I had to turn down - I really liked most of the programs I looked at.
- The canonical advice at my school is still to take CK late if you did well on Step 1, but I'm not sure I agree. Certainly you can hurt yourself if you bomb CK, but I think having a good score in by the time ERAS opened helped me. If you can take it so you get your score back in that sweet spot just after you can submit ERAS, you still have the option of not submitting your score if you do poorly but having it available early on if you do well. Also it felt so good to have both it and CS done before interviews started.
- It helps to have interesting non-medical, non-research extracurriculars. I had a longstanding EC that got mentioned at pretty much every interview.
- I sent thank you emails to all my interviewers but no #1 email. I'm sort of old-fashioned polite wrt thank yous, and besides many of my interviewers were researchers I'm likely to encounter in the future, so I figured it was a good idea to make a connection now even if it had no impact on how I was ranked by the program.
- Have fun meeting the other applicants! It was one of the best parts of the interview trail for me.
- I'm still waiting for my UCLA rejection letter...

Reactions: 1 users
Have been lurking throughout this whole season and wanted to post to contribute back to the pool of data that helped me!

School
: Top 5
Step Scores: 258/272/P
Grades: All H
Research: Significant research
AOA: Yes
Interview Invites: JHU, Duke, Penn, Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, NYU, BUMC, BID, BWH, MGH, UChicago, NW, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UW
Rejections: Montefiore, Jefferson

Matched (+ # on ROL): Matched at #1 (Penn, MGH or Brigham for anonymity)

Advice
:

1) Engage in post interview communication. A lot of folks say this doesn't matter, which is likely true in many cases, but I think it certainly can't hurt. If it's, at worst, a net zero, it's worthwhile to send love letters etc on the off chance that it may help. Also, don't underestimate the sway of residents you know at programs who could put in a good word.

2) If you are couples matching, reach out to each other's programs for interview invites, and throughout the ranking process. The more information you have, the easier it is to make a rank list. Programs are invested in helping couples match near one another, and will often talk to their program for you, and share the scoop. Couples matching is a big black box, and I wish I had more information about it going into the process.

3) Take Step 2 CK early. This way you are still nervous enough pre-interview season that you will work hard, and the scoring is such that you should do better on Step 2 CK than Step 1 with the same effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Top 5

Matched (+ # on ROL): Matched at #1 (Penn, MGH or Brigham for anonymity)

This has to be the funniest match result ever. Oh, you're that one new resident from a "Top 5" school at Penn/MGH/BWH! So easy to ID!

Reactions: 2 users
School: top 40
Step Scores: step 1 233, step 2 273, step 2 cs passed first attempt
Grades: A in psych, ob/gyn, neuro, and family; B+ in medicine and peds; B in surgery
Research: one paper and three poster presentations
AOA: nope
Interview Invites: UAB, UNC, UVA, Thomas Jefferson, Cincinnati, Indiana, Mayo Rochester, MUSC, Wake Forest, Case Western, UF, Carolinas Medical Center, Kentucky
Rejections: BIDMC, BWH, MGH, Vandy, Hopkins, Michigan, UPMC, Penn, Yale, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Wash U, Cornell, Columbia, Icahn, NYU, Duke, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State, Temple

Matched (+ # on ROL): #1, UAB

Advice
:
-I sent hand-written thank you notes to my top 4 and explicitly told my number 1 that they were number 1. Not sure if that helped but I got my number one so clearly it didn't hurt.
-I definitely had some more unusual extracurriculars which were mentioned a lot in my interviews. If your school or community has something medical students don't usually participate in, and you're interested and have time, go for it.
-Get people to write your ROL who really know and love you. That's another thing that was mentioned a lot in my interviews including where I matched.
-There's definitely a sort of vague "you know when they're the one" thing that happens. People will say that and you will laugh at them and then you'll see.

I'm guessing you mean LOR. You should definitely make your own rank list

LOL... just imagined my mom trying to make my rank list. "NO mom, that's not how the match process works. Do you need to see the youtube video again?"

Reactions: 5 users
Where the normies at?

70c5b14312d1f7ad0289931534ac315c.jpg

Where the normies at?

Here's one for the normies:

School: DO school, only applied to ACGME residencies
Step Scores: Step 1: mid 240s, Step 2: mid 240s, COMLEX PE(CS equivalent): pass first time
Grades: H in OB, Peds, ER, Neuro, ICU Sub-I; HP everything else.
Research: 1 poster presentation as 1st author
AOA: nope
Interview Invites: U of AZ Tucson, U of AZ Phoenix(Banner), Mayo AZ, St Josephs(community program in Phoenix), Maricopa County(community program in Phoenix), UNM, Loma Linda, UCLA Harbor, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, UCSF Fresno, UNLV
Rejections: Utah, UCSF, UC Davis, UC Irvine, OHSU, UW, Colorado, Stanford, Scripps, Cedar Sinai, Others that I can't remember

Matched (+ # on ROL): UCSF Fresno #1

Advice
: Quite honestly I was surprised that I eventually ranked Fresno first. I did a rotation at Mayo AZ, made some great connections, and got a great recommendation from the experience. I had Mayo AZ ranked #1 until two days before the ROL submission deadline. I just couldn't shake the gut feeling that I needed to rank UCSF Fresno first. Deep down I knew it's where I would be happiest, and likely thrive the most in my medical education. I think it took me a while to realize this, because most people I spoke with wondered why anyone would want to live in Fresno, and it left a lingering doubt in my mind. I grew up in a town of 100k people, roughly 700 miles from any coast, so I really have no problem with the area, and actually prefer not living in a crowded coastal city. But that's the thing, I had to make this decision based on where I would be happiest and thrive the most. I matched my number 1 and couldn't be happier! Bottomline: my best advice is evaluate your options, but don't underestimate the importance of your gut decision.

Reactions: 4 users
School: IMG (US Citizen) - Top 20 in India
Step Scores: Step 1: 250s; Step 2: 260s; CS:First attempt; No Step 3 yet
USCE: 3 months electives
Research: 1 publication, 2 oral presentation at national conference, 1 poster. 1 year as a research assistant in USA after grad.
LORs: 3 from USA, 1 from India
Interview Invites: (Attended 20/30 invites) - JHH, Mayo Roch, OHSU, Temple, Louisville, UConn, USF, Einstein Philly, UTMB Galveston, SUNY Upstate, Medstar DC, Einstein Jacobi,
Rejections: Email:~50 Silent: ~80

Matched (+ # on ROL): OHSU!! #3 (Look forward to running into the enigma that is gutonc)

Advice
:

- As an IMG, making contacts can be about the most important thing you do. Will never make it past half the filters at top programs unless somebody reaches out to a PD/PC. Speak to fellows/residents/attendings where you are working or friends & family, never know who what will finally click. If you go to a national conference that is a great time to look for people from your target programs and express your interest. You can even invite them to your poster.

- Do research during medical school, don't just wait to come to USA for research. Quantity can be as important as quality. At some point they just look at the number of research items on your application.
- Take Step 1 early in med school so you can apply for a broader range of visiting electives in final year.

- Don't schedule all your important interviews at the end of the season. By late Nov/early Dec you will have enough practice to do well. Also if you happen to get a late interview they usually only have spots in January so you want some room to add those and January has the worst weather.
- Don't schedule more than 15 interviews despite what your friends are doing. I've seen people go for 30+. If you are a decent IMG and get many interview invites, it just becomes a waste of money and energy.
- Don't practice interviewing with common internet resources. They can sound really generic and people can see through that. Be natural and ask insightful specific questions about a program.

- For post-interview communication, ask relevant questions rather than just saying thank you. The interviewer can be your best advocate so stay in touch and sound interested!
- Personal calls or even emails from your US mentor to a PD of your top program can make a big difference. You are competing for 1-3 spots usually and need to stick out somehow.

Reactions: 3 users
School: IMG (US Citizen) - Top 20 in India
Step Scores: Step 1: 250s; Step 2: 260s; CS:First attempt; No Step 3 yet
USCE: 3 months electives
Research: 1 publication, 2 oral presentation at national conference, 1 poster. 1 year as a research assistant in USA after grad.
LORs: 3 from USA, 1 from India
Interview Invites: (Attended 20/30 invites) - JHH, Mayo Roch, OHSU, Temple, Louisville, UConn, USF, Einstein Philly, UTMB Galveston, SUNY Upstate, Medstar DC, Einstein Jacobi,
Rejections: Email:~50 Silent: ~80

Matched (+ # on ROL): OHSU!! #3 (Look forward to running into the enigma that is gutonc)

Advice
:

- As an IMG, making contacts can be about the most important thing you do. Will never make it past half the filters at top programs unless somebody reaches out to a PD/PC. Speak to fellows/residents/attendings where you are working or friends & family, never know who what will finally click. If you go to a national conference that is a great time to look for people from your target programs and express your interest. You can even invite them to your poster.

- Do research during medical school, don't just wait to come to USA for research. Quantity can be as important as quality. At some point they just look at the number of research items on your application.
- Take Step 1 early in med school so you can apply for a broader range of visiting electives in final year.

- Don't schedule all your important interviews at the end of the season. By late Nov/early Dec you will have enough practice to do well. Also if you happen to get a late interview they usually only have spots in January so you want some room to add those and January has the worst weather.
- Don't schedule more than 15 interviews despite what your friends are doing. I've seen people go for 30+. If you are a decent IMG and get many interview invites, it just becomes a waste of money and energy.
- Don't practice interviewing with common internet resources. They can sound really generic and people can see through that. Be natural and ask insightful specific questions about a program.

- For post-interview communication, ask relevant questions rather than just saying thank you. The interviewer can be your best advocate so stay in touch and sound interested!
- Personal calls or even emails from your US mentor to a PD of your top program can make a big difference. You are competing for 1-3 spots usually and need to stick out somehow.
Congrats! How much did connections play a role in getting invites from JHH/OHSU/Mayo? Since I have a very similar app I am also curious to know from which other programs you recieved invites except for the ones you listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: DO
Step Scores: 240/256
Grades: Mostly Honors (except Peds and Surgery, lol)
Research: Nada
AOA: Nope
Interview Invites: U Arizona-Tucson, U New Mexico, U Colorado, U Mass, UTMB, LSU-New Orleans, Rutgers-NJMS, Wake Forest, U South Florida, Drexel, MCG, Greenwich Hospital (CT), Baystate (declined), UVermont (declined)
Rejections: OHSU, Loyola, UT-Houston

Matched (+ # on ROL): #1 (I'd rather not name the program 2/2 wanting some sense of anonymity. Thanks!)

Advice
:

Slight caveat: I submitted with incomplete grades all over my transcript b/c our clinical office is a mess - not sure if that affected my app ultimately but it was brought up by several of my interviewers (who gave me "the benefit of the doubt" and assumed I did and the transcript isn't my fault). I wasn't really sure where I stood in the pack, so I just sent my app all over the place - really avoiding only Cali and NY.

Letters: Submitted 4 IM letters. They were all very strong in content but none were from any big names.

Auditions/Aways: I didn't do any. Stayed local to conserve money for the interviews.

TBH: I had no idea what I was looking for in a program until I started interviewing around. Ultimately, I just went with where I will be happy for at least 3 years... as cliche as that sounds.

Interview Invites: U Arizona-Tucson, U New Mexico, U Colorado, U Mass, UTMB, LSU-New Orleans, Rutgers-NJMS, Wake Forest, U South Florida, Drexel, MCG, Greenwich Hospital (CT), Baystate (declined), UVermont (declined).
One of these schools is not in the same league as the other ones, haha. Congrats though!!!

Congrats Casa Loma. You did extremely well. We are NOT friends--but only because I did not match MGH despite telling ERAS I was couples matching with you (I follow wherever my Lord goes). They told me "we don't know who CasaLoma is, that's not a real name, but he sounds like a portly hawaiian gentleman. Also you did not get an interview here."

No, of course we're friends. PM me and I'll add you on Facebook. I'm heading to Mayo. Now I have 3 years to land a fellowship at MGH so I can be with you for your last year.

wut the wut?

PS: and medicine is getting DAMN competitive.

School: Southeastern school (Not top 25)
Step Scores: Step 1: 249, Step 2: 249
Grades: H in medicine, ob, surgery, psych, peds, pass in everything else. (No HP)
Research: Not a whole lot, some presentations and an abstract
AOA: yes
EC: A decent bit of medical and non medical volunteer work, including some with a leadership role
Interview Invites: I applied to mostly SE schools as my SO is still in medical school:
Duke, UNC, UAB, UVA, Baylor, Vandy, Emory, Carolinas, Wake Forest, UF, Mayo Jax, OHSU, Cornell, VCU, Colorado, USC Greenville, MUSC
Rejections:
BIDMC, JHH, USCD, NYU, Columbia, Cleveland Clinic, Penn, Boston

Matched (+ # on ROL): UNC! (#2 on my ROL)

In terms of things I would do differently, I definitely wish I had spent more time on studying for Step 2. I figured that after Step 1 my score wouldn't matter as much and I didn't put the time in studying that I should have. Nobody specifically brought up my lack of improvement, but I felt it hurt me.

Really enjoy the interview dinners. They were the most fun part of the whole process, and I feel a large chunk of my rank list came from my interactions with the residents. So by all means, have a few beers beforehand and just try to have fun with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to be overly pushy, but for those of you with Step 1 scores in the 200's-230's who were super worried about matching, know that your colleagues who will be applying next year would love to hear your advice too.

School: IMG.
Step Scores: Step 1: 246, Step 2: 255, Step 3: 220.
Grades: H in med, surgery, ob/gyn and peds.
Research: Research at Midwestern University.
AOA: No
Interview Invites: Applied to 80 programs, got 19 IVs ended up going to 13: Cleveland Clinic, Case Western/UH, Loyola, University Of Miami, SLR, Case Western/MetroHealth, AECOM/Jacobi, University of Missouri/Columbia, UCF/Orlando, Cook County and other 3...
Rejections:
Rush, BU, Columbia, Penn, Boston, UTHouston, Penn Hospital, Einstien Philly

Matched (+ # on ROL): #1 on my list: Cleveland Clinic. Super excited :)

I am posting because I used this website for my interview season and found everyone's post quite helpful. I was couples matching as well.

School
: Mid Tier
Step Scores: 230, 238
Grades: Pre-Clinical -P, H Surgery, HP all other clerkships
Research: Undergrad basic science and poster in medical school
AOA: no
Interview Invites: Miami, UF, USF, MUSC, Wake, UVA, VCU, GW, Maryland, Drexel, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Rutgers, Monte, UConn, Mount Auburn
Rejections: Mayo Jax, Emory, Carolinas, UNC, Duke, Georgetown, Hopkins Bayview, Yale, Brown, UMass, Tufts, BU,

Matched (+ # on ROL): #4

Advice
: Neither of us were stellar applicants so we applied broadly. I would email a program right after your partner gets an interview. It helps some of the time. We applied to a lot and narrowed it down after getting invites (~15 interviews each). We got off the waitlist a few times, so there is hope. I had some good extracurriculars that helped my application as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I am posting because I used this website for my interview season and found everyone's post quite helpful. I was couples matching as well.

School
: Mid Tier
Step Scores: 230, 238
Grades: Pre-Clinical -P, H Surgery, HP all other clerkships
Research: Undergrad basic science and poster in medical school
AOA: no
Interview Invites: Miami, UF, USF, MUSC, Wake, UVA, VCU, GW, Maryland, Drexel, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Rutgers, Monte, UConn, Mount Auburn
Rejections: Mayo Jax, Emory, Carolinas, UNC, Duke, Georgetown, Hopkins Bayview, Yale, Brown, UMass, Tufts, BU,

Matched (+ # on ROL): #4

Advice
: Neither of us were stellar applicants so we applied broadly. I would email a program right after your partner gets an interview. It helps some of the time. We applied to a lot and narrowed it down after getting invites (~15 interviews each). We got off the waitlist a few times, so there is hope. I had some good extracurriculars that helped my application as well.

This is a very helpful post.

Large dogs