USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I called ECFMG and it seems like they are having some difficulties with the score releasing software - they are working on fixing it as we speak. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
So should we expect today? Did they mention timing? Fingers crossed hope everyone rocks with 250-260+.

Yeah - the representative said that they should be released sometime later today! I asked for an "approximate timing" but the only response i got was "shortly"..

I hope so too!

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this happened to anyone else, but I took it on the 19th (not the 13th) and I got an email at 11am saying my scores would be up. I'm pretty sure I failed so I wont be checking my scores for a while to confirm if they really did get released or not lol.

Took USMLE July 12. Scores came out this morning at 11am, got the email at 10:45am. I am a DO student at a low tier school (according to SDN...)

Also to everyone who thinks "you shouldn't have gotten in anywhere with that low of MCAT..." You are right, my interviewers were super friendly and the guy who wrote my LOR was one of my interviewers personal family doctor (so I lucked out and sold the **** out of myself).

But to the person that thinks the MCAT means how you will do in med school or boards... SUCK IT...

MCAT: 22
Class Rank/ GPA: Top 15% (honors), cumulative GPA was 93.4%.
NBME 17: 242 one week into dedicated (7 weeks out)
NBME 16: 252 (5 weeks out)
NBME 18: 246 (1 week out)
UWSA 1: 252 ( 2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 258 (3 days prior)

Real deal: 250

Addendum:
COMLEX: 768

Method: UFAP so hard over summer I broke something... plus sketchy micro and BRS physiology; approximately 7,000 questions between UWORLD (1.5 times), Kaplan USMLE qbank (one time), and combank (like 1200 questions or something).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
Took USMLE July 12. Scores came out this morning at 11am, got the email at 10:45am. I am a DO student at a low tier school (according to SDN...)

Also to everyone who thinks "you shouldn't have gotten in anywhere with that low of MCAT..." You are right, my interviewers were super friendly and the guy who wrote my LOR was one of my interviewers personal family doctor (so I lucked out and sold the **** out of myself).

But to the person that thinks the MCAT means how you will do in med school or boards... SUCK IT...

Method: UFAP so hard over summer I broke something... plus sketchy micro and BRS physiology; approximately 7,000 questions between UWORLD (1.5 times), Kaplan USMLE qbank (one time), and combank (like 1200 questions or something).
Congrats!! Hard work pays off

Congrats how did you go about doing your questions? Uworld and such?

Congrats how did you go about doing your questions? Uworld and such?

If I'm being honest... I started out by reading every answer explanation and then minimize the page and type a one liner question in a journal document about the subject (the big idea the question was after) with the plan I'd go back through it; that rarely happened. Towards the end UWORLD I stopped doing the journal because I didn't have time to go through it; also towards the end I got lazy/ burnt out and just started reading the correct answer when I got it right, and all of the answers when I got it wrong. It was the same for the other qbanks (I picked at Kaplan qbank during the school year alongside our class material, so if we were covering cardiology type stuff I'd do those questions as much as possible without compromising gpa, and almost finished it by dedicated). I averaged about 12-15 questions an hour to take and review towards the end, but started at 10-12 per hour at the beginning of dedicated (but I'm a slow studier).

Hello! Took step July 7th, and still don’t have results. No email, anything.
Maybe European region is an issue. Is there anybody who took it in Europe? How long had you been waiting for results?

Got Score today
I am happy I passed and didn't do horrible. Sad that all my hard work didn't pay off with the rockstar scores I had been seeing but I did ok.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got Score today
I am happy I passed and didn't do horrible. Sad that all my hard work didn't pay off with the rockstar scores I had been seeing but I did ok.
What were your practice test scores and how dod you feel about the real exam's difficulty if you don't mind me asking? I'm still waiting for my score :/

Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while and I'm posting now because I'm incredibly anxious about my score. I haven't gotten it yet but I've been so worried since taking the exam. I know that's everyone but I'm wondering if anyone here shares my personal experience during the exam.

I achieved my goal score of 230 about 4 days out on NBME 18, but it took a long time and I steadily got there. The next 4 days my studying was inefficient and slow. During the exam it felt like nothing in particular was front loaded in my mind. I lost momentum after getting to my goal and during the exam it felt like I was just guessing all over the place. I marked a bunch that I was 50/50 on, didn't mark the ones that it wouldn't help to look at again. I finished with seconds to spare every time. I remember having to reread a lot of questions. Thinking back post exam it feels like 90% of the stuff I was 50/50 on I got wrong. I can easily recall 20-30 simple things I got wrong off the top of my head and I haven't even been trying recall anything.

I'm worried about not passing. I know most people feel like the exam was tough but I know for sure i was making silly mistakes actively, so I worry my guessing was very off. Has anyone reading this gone through these same feelings and recieved what they expected (low to failing score) or an absolute miracle where they just get a score similar to NBME's? I know it's common to worry and I've read a lot on this thread about thinking it went badly then it just resulting in something fine, but the feeling during and after about silly mistakes is just killing me.
I felt exactly how you described your experience, I wouldn't say it differently. I gave the test on Wednesday and since then have been pretty freaked out but I'm trying to hold my feelings and not searching anything online on the Qs I felt were wrong. We just need to hang in there like everyone else is gonna tell us.

19: 540 - 236 may 29
18: 520- 232 may 19
17: 480 - 223 may 13

Real Test: 250 (June 5)

I didn't actually finish uworld, or sketchy, or really any of my plan, and I opened FA about five times, so I'm posting in the hope of calming down people out there in the 2017-2018 whose peers are talking about finishing their second pass through uworld and the 75 times they've read FA.

I'm timed out of uworld and I don't remember what percentage I got right but it was 85th percentile (I had 100 questions left on test day).

Reactions: 2 users
Chronic stalker of this thread....
I did post my NBME and UWorld scores earlier and I did score lower than NBME 18.
I do feel a little disappointed but I am content with my score.
Step 1- 235-240.
I am interested in General Surgery but haven't ruled any of the other specialities out. Hopefully, my score hasn't hurt my chances.
Thank you to every single poster!! This thread kept me sane, inspired and motivated me!!

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you @LyMed! Can you please delete the quotation from your previous post? I wanted to delete the post as soon as I encourage some peeps going through the same thing.

Interesting caveat for those who are taking Step soon, I found that RX was fantastic for getting a quick run down of FA without getting bogged down by minutiae. I ran through all of those questions 1x about 3 weeks before my exam (+ incorrects). I also did UW 3x w/ incorrects. First UW pass was like a 54% then 78% then 95%.

Interesting caveat for those who are taking Step soon, I found that RX was fantastic for getting a quick run down of FA without getting bogged down by minutiae. I ran through all of those questions 1x about 3 weeks before my exam (+ incorrects). I also did UW 3x w/ incorrects. First UW pass was like a 54% then 78% then 95%.

I'm getting assaulted by RX right now. Did you pay attention to you rx averages or did you focus on UWORLD %ages?

Got a 256. I changed my answers on 5 of them to the wrong ones so may have gotten in the 260s if I hadn't done that. But still very, very happy with my score :).

I used FA, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm, and subject review books specific to behavioral science, physiology, biochemistry, and anatomy. I went through UWorld in its entirety twice and did both practice tests. I did all of the available NBMEs, and this definitely helped.

If I could redo the way I studied, I would have gone over FA way more and much earlier. I would have taken more notes in UWorld on the questions I missed and also not worry about some of the questions that were way too detailed and specific. I would have gone over Sketchy Pharm a bit more and reviewed it more a couple days before the test. I did this with Sketchy Micro, and it paid off. I would have not used my anatomy review book and just used the high yield stuff from FA and also from my actual anatomy class with an emphasis on clinical correlation. Pathoma didn't pay off as much as I would have liked, but it was still worth it.

One of my strategies was to not lose for sure points. For me, this meant nailing all of the behavioral sciences/biostats questions and to know sketchy micro/pharm 100%. My review book for behavioral science worked well. I pretty much knew sketchy micro 100% and this paid off, and I think I would have scored higher if I had known sketchypharm 100%. I don't think the questions in these categories are generally hard, but they are also usually ones you know them or you don't.

My NBMES predicted from 250s-260s, so they were pretty accurate. My UWorlds predicted in the 270s and 260s, so they over predicted.
Awesome Score. Congrats. Hey I am struggling with Behavioral science, especially those ethics Qs. Any tips?

I'm getting assaulted by RX right now. Did you pay attention to you rx averages or did you focus on UWORLD %ages?

I would get roughly high 70s and low 80s occasionally. Which is a huge difference from the initial 95/100 I use to get on blocks. They made their questions less buzz wordy and it really increases RXs efficacy.

Whats up everyone! So I have been a straggler and a struggler w/ Step 1 studying! So I took my Step 1 3 weeks ago and have received my score: 245!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, this is huge for me. I came from 186 on NBME 13 to 228 on NBME 18 and 189 on NBME 19 3 weeks before my test. I'm blown the EFF away. It took me a couple days to register this. Anyways, I won't be typing up a detailed analysis of my studying or my individual scores. I'm posting this to sort of give you all hope. I had to take my Psych Shelf roughly 2 weeks after my Step 1 and that was effin brutal to do. Thankfully, I high passed it with a little cramming and help from sketchy pharm. Got some good evals too (social butterfly in me paid off). I literally was going to be elated to get a 230 and this is just icing on the cake. My hardwork (and yours) paid off!!! Any questions just PM me! Love you all :)

P.S.: I have a bit of paranoia about posting too many identifying pieces of info on here, so after about a week or 2 I intend to delete this post. So, please don't quote this. Thank you!
congrats!

Whats up everyone! So I have been a straggler and a struggler w/ Step 1 studying! So I took my Step 1 3 weeks ago and have received my score: 245!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, this is huge for me. I came from 186 on NBME 13 to 228 on NBME 18 and 189 on NBME 19 3 weeks before my test. I'm blown the EFF away. It took me a couple days to register this. Anyways, I won't be typing up a detailed analysis of my studying or my individual scores. I'm posting this to sort of give you all hope. I had to take my Psych Shelf roughly 2 weeks after my Step 1 and that was effin brutal to do. Thankfully, I high passed it with a little cramming and help from sketchy pharm. Got some good evals too (social butterfly in me paid off). I literally was going to be elated to get a 230 and this is just icing on the cake. My hardwork (and yours) paid off!!! Any questions just PM me! Love you all :)

P.S.: I have a bit of paranoia about posting too many identifying pieces of info on here, so after about a week or 2 I intend to delete this post. So, please don't quote this. Thank you!

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm doing my uworld incorrects I finish with like 20 minutes to spare I seem to have answers memorized should I thug it out or go on to fresh Kaplan questions that I haven't seen before? Exam in 2 weeks.

Kind of need guidance on whether or not I should sit in 6 days:
scores so far in chronological order:
nbme 13: 148 (beginning of dedicated)
uwsa1: 181
nbme 18: 184 (3.5 weeks out)
nbme 16: 205 (15 days out)
uwsa2: 184 (11 days out)
nbme 17: 40 incorrect (done offline ~210?) (8 days out)
nbme 19: 223 & 73% correct (free 120) (6 days out)

My concern is my uwsa2 score. I took it during a very hectic day and with alot of distractions, however i'm still concerned because alot of people have said their uwsa2 score is very predictable of their final score. I didn't pass either UWSA, and I took the 2nd one not too long ago so Im hesistant. NBMEs have notoriously been easier for me, but Ive struggle with uworld (avg 61%). The question stems confuse me on uworld, not the actual concept, even though I struggled early on with foundational knowledge.

Kind of need guidance on whether or not I should sit in 6 days:
scores so far in chronological order:
nbme 13: 148 (beginning of dedicated)
uwsa1: 181
nbme 18: 184 (3.5 weeks out)
nbme 16: 205 (15 days out)
uwsa2: 184 (11 days out)
nbme 17: 40 incorrect (done offline ~210?) (8 days out)
nbme 19: 223 & 73% correct (free 120) (6 days out)

My concern is my uwsa2 score. I took it during a very hectic day and with alot of distractions, however i'm still concerned because alot of people have said their uwsa2 score is very predictable of their final score. I didn't pass either UWSA, and I took the 2nd one not too long ago so Im hesistant. NBMEs have notoriously been easier for me, but Ive struggle with uworld (avg 61%). The question stems confuse me on uworld, not the actual concept, even though I struggled early on with foundational knowledge.
It's a tough call! If you are a US student and you are ok with FM/IM, you might as well take it.

What were your practice test scores and how dod you feel about the real exam's difficulty if you don't mind me asking? I'm still waiting for my score :/
My practice test scores were all over the place NBME 17 was a 232, but 19 and 18 were both 211. UWSA were both 218 but i took them before I started dedicated. The exam was fair, there were many I could get down to a 50/50 and just took the plunge. Nothing I was stumped on and it was very heavy on anatomy which I hated but it was my highest section on the score report so meh. I used all of my time down to the last minute left on every block never had a chance to go back and review but didn't feel rushed either, I took my time to answer each question as best I could. I left the test with about 62 questions marked. Its just the test is so different from what you think it is going to be you just have to be ok with have to take a guess and move on. A 220 doesn't end me and with a good step 2 I will be just fine.