USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys, IMG step 1 disappointing 221. Previous BSc, MSc. Is there any pathway going forward, and if there is any, kindly help chat the course. FM/IM in mind. Kindly give all POSSIBLE pathways.......if there is any. How best to identify low/medium FM/IM programs? Thanks guys.

Scores have only been released up to the 3rd right? Friend took theirs the 10th and me the 11th and were (anxiously) wondering chances we both get our scores this week

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw on this forum that somebody said they got their score last wed and they took their exam on July 7th. If I took mine on July 12th, does that mean I should get it back this week? :O

I saw on this forum that somebody said they got their score last wed and they took their exam on July 7th. If I took mine on July 12th, does that mean I should get it back this week? :O

I also took it on July 12th..did your "print permit" link disappear...mine still shows up =(

same same :( but is it a must that it has to disappear? and if 7th already came out, that would only be 8-11 which is 4 days...which doesn't make sense to me either

We may all have to wait until next week or maybe the permit thing isnt a thing at all. Find out Wednesday... I took on July 11th.

Took the test 10th July.
Permit just disappeared. So I think that we are going to get scores from the dates 8th of July to 14 or 15.
Wish all the best to everyone!!!

Has anyone ever noticed an exam slot being available for 12 AM?
My local prometric has that. How is that even possible? Could it be a mistake?
I wanted to book my exam on that day but unfortunately no other morning spot available during that week.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm talking about prometric centers in the US.

Last edited:
Took the test 10th July.
Permit just disappeared. So I think that we are going to get scores from the dates 8th of July to 14 or 15.
Wish all the best to everyone!!!
By that do you mean the actual link "print permit" disappeared or once you click on it, it says this- Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.?

By that do you mean the actual link "print permit" disappeared or once you click on it, it says this- Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.?
It disappeared. The other one that you mention was there from the first moment I sat the exam.

Best

It disappeared. The other one that you mention was there from the first moment I sat the exam.

Best

Did your eligibility period end? Mine disappeared last night when my eligibility period ended. Anyone else's permit disappeared who took it between July 10th-12th?

Members don't see this ad :)
No :(( but now I'm wondering if that means I failed! A lot of posts saying it won't disappear if you fail. So it's either that or 12th won't release or neither and I should stop thinking!

Mine only disappeared since my eligibility ended..which means I failed with you or we won't be getting our scores back. I guess there is a small chance the rumors are false but we'll see. Wish they were better at giving us a set date.

My eligibility period also just ended. (and my permit disappeared). I just want to know if I passed. I was just messing around on their website, and it let me register for step 2cs, anyone else try that?

Mine only disappeared since my eligibility ended..which means I failed with you or we won't be getting our scores back. I guess there is a small chance the rumors are false but we'll see. Wish they were better at giving us a set date.

I havent seen anyone claim they failed if the permit doesn't disappear. Most likely its just a computer thing or we wont get scores until next week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone tried to reapply for step 1? I tried twice and it keeps saying session has expired. I hope this is good news.

Called NBME just now. They show no record of a score released for me today. Sat for the exam July 12 (Wed). My "Print Permit" link is still visible on the homepage, though clicking it shows an error. The NBME rep said 3 Wednesdays is the "exception, not the rule" and to check again next week :nailbiting:

I have a friend who took it the 10th who's score was released. I was on 11th and my print permit is gone but no score and no email. I hate weird limbo area

Got my score today. Test on July 10th. Score 242, highest nbme 17 -->234, uwsa 2-->251. I will do a more detailed post in the next few days.

Reactions: 4 users
My NBME 19 score was a little above yours and i scored 20 points over it on step which is consistent with the experience others have posted. With your goal of 230, you are at a very good place right now.

Thank you for the reply. My date was on the 17th of Aug and I now changed it to the 9th. So it'll be 2 weeks after I took my nbme 19, how long did you take to give the the real exam after nbme 19? I'm going to take nbme 18 on Sat.

Thank you for the reply. My date was on the 17th of Aug and I now changed it to the 9th. So it'll be 2 weeks after I took my nbme 19, how long did you take to give the the real exam after nbme 19? I'm going to take nbme 18 on Sat.
It was 2 weeks for me. Stay confident about your preparation.

UWSA1: 234 (3.5 m out)
Nbme 16: 213 (3 months out)
Nbme 15: 232 (2 months out)
Nbme 17: 234 (1.5 m out)
Nbme 19: 219 (1 m out)
UWSA2: 251 (3 weeks out)
Nbme 18: 230 (2 weeks out)
Free 120: 78% (10 d out)]
Step 1 score: 242 (7/10/2017)

Total time of preparation without gaps etc 1 year-full dedicated 8 weeks
Study resources:
I will point out only what I found useful because from time to time I spent some days reviewing the material from different resources in order to understand some concepts better.

Since I am an IMG I started with a quick pass of Kaplan videos and books which help you build foundation knowledge and become familiar with the content. One great mistake I did was that I did not use FA at this time which costed me a lot of time in concepts that are not High Yield. After finishing kaplan videos etc, I did usmle Rx which I did not like at that time because I did not know FA and I did not persuaded myself to really try and learn FA through USMLE Rx which is a good tool only for learning FA and not as an assessment. (Here you can use Board and Beyonds as an alternative which I did not use but is one of the new HY video sources).

After that I started doing Kaplan by subject. This bank has a lot of low yield questions etc BUT it also gives you some secret gems that will help you to think better on some concepts and understand some topics better. After finishing 70% of that bank I started UW timed/ random 40q per day making notes in a word file in every single question that I did not know. It was time consuming at the beginning but also the best thing I did in my whole preparation. Writing up stuff from UW and trying to reproduce diagrams and tables were really great in making connections that were extremely HY in the real thing. I did UW for 2.5 times and also marked and incorrect. Every time I saw a question I did not try to remember the answer but I tried to approach it as a new question trying different ways/tricks in order to find the best way that works for me. Every one has his own style of approaching questions so you have to invest some time to find what works best for you.

Personally I hated reading FA because I found it to be really passive learning and could not get a lot from reviewing it. Therefore, I found extremely helpful the USMLE RX express videos which "read" you the topic from the FA and add some details and make some connections--> totally recommended for people like me that cannot read FA actively. There are also other videos like DIT etc that can also be used. Find what make you study more actively and do it.

Dedicated time:
UFAP
and videos from osmosis, youtube etc at the end of the day when I could not study anymore (9-10 pm). In the last weeks you should try as hard as you can to understand and make as many connections as you can (especially in the HY topics). The most important thing during the last 2-3 weeks is to persuade yourself that you can do it and pass the exam. I personally had a huge burn out last 2 weeks before the exam that I managed to deal with with the help of family and my girlfriend (ok and alcohol :p).
The single most important thing that I realized from the exam day was how important is how you feel the day of your exam. You must suppress everything and forget about the past. It is you and 280 questions. That's it. Unfortunately, nobody cares about how many months, days, hours you spent studying. It is only this exam that counts. Even though I was pretty nervous last day I managed to sleep early and had 7 hours of sleep which was extremely helpful. I had small breaks between every block and I tried to persuade myself that I can pass the exam in every single break. Also, every block you finish, it is over. You should not think about even the easiest mistake that you made in the last block. You just continue and try to stay focused and concentrated. I felt like I was doing 7 hard blocks of UW/UWSA with 15 questions per block being like NBMEs and another 15-20 being 2nd-3rd order. Yes there were 3-5 questions per block that were extremely difficult but I think that you have to relax and try to think what they are trying to test you with these questions and then the question becomes a little bit easier.

Excuse any typos but I am on vacations and I write from cell phone. Best of luck to everyone :D

Reactions: 4 users
man i just took an absolute bitch of a test yesterday August 2.....pretty similar to UWorld but it was definitely harder than UWorld.... w/e i don't really care cus it's done now thankfully but my question is......

anyone know how we access our scores and when? i know it says like 3-4 weeks right? we just go to our NBME account or something like that? thx

UWSA1: 234 (3.5 m out)
Nbme 16: 213 (3 months out)
Nbme 15: 232 (2 months out)
Nbme 17: 234 (1.5 m out)
Nbme 19: 219 (1 m out)
UWSA2: 251 (3 weeks out)
Nbme 18: 230 (2 weeks out)
Free 120: 78% (10 d out)]
Step 1 score: 242 (7/10/2017)

Total time of preparation without gaps etc 1 year-full dedicated 8 weeks
Study resources:
I will point out only what I found useful because from time to time I spent some days reviewing the material from different resources in order to understand some concepts better.

Since I am an IMG I started with a quick pass of Kaplan videos and books which help you build foundation knowledge and become familiar with the content. One great mistake I did was that I did not use FA at this time which costed me a lot of time in concepts that are not High Yield. After finishing kaplan videos etc, I did usmle Rx which I did not like at that time because I did not know FA and I did not persuaded myself to really try and learn FA through USMLE Rx which is a good tool only for learning FA and not as an assessment. (Here you can use Board and Beyonds as an alternative which I did not use but is one of the new HY video sources).

After that I started doing Kaplan by subject. This bank has a lot of low yield questions etc BUT it also gives you some secret gems that will help you to think better on some concepts and understand some topics better. After finishing 70% of that bank I started UW timed/ random 40q per day making notes in a word file in every single question that I did not know. It was time consuming at the beginning but also the best thing I did in my whole preparation. Writing up stuff from UW and trying to reproduce diagrams and tables were really great in making connections that were extremely HY in the real thing. I did UW for 2.5 times and also marked and incorrect. Every time I saw a question I did not try to remember the answer but I tried to approach it as a new question trying different ways/tricks in order to find the best way that works for me. Every one has his own style of approaching questions so you have to invest some time to find what works best for you.

Personally I hated reading FA because I found it to be really passive learning and could not get a lot from reviewing it. Therefore, I found extremely helpful the USMLE RX express videos which "read" you the topic from the FA and add some details and make some connections--> totally recommended for people like me that cannot read FA actively. There are also other videos like DIT etc that can also be used. Find what make you study more actively and do it.

Dedicated time:
UFAP
and videos from osmosis, youtube etc at the end of the day when I could not study anymore (9-10 pm). In the last weeks you should try as hard as you can to understand and make as many connections as you can (especially in the HY topics). The most important thing during the last 2-3 weeks is to persuade yourself that you can do it and pass the exam. I personally had a huge burn out last 2 weeks before the exam that I managed to deal with with the help of family and my girlfriend (ok and alcohol :p).
The single most important thing that I realized from the exam day was how important is how you feel the day of your exam. You must suppress everything and forget about the past. It is you and 280 questions. That's it. Unfortunately, nobody cares about how many months, days, hours you spent studying. It is only this exam that counts. Even though I was pretty nervous last day I managed to sleep early and had 7 hours of sleep which was extremely helpful. I had small breaks between every block and I tried to persuade myself that I can pass the exam in every single break. Also, every block you finish, it is over. You should not think about even the easiest mistake that you made in the last block. You just continue and try to stay focused and concentrated. I felt like I was doing 7 hard blocks of UW/UWSA with 15 questions per block being like NBMEs and another 15-20 being 2nd-3rd order. Yes there were 3-5 questions per block that were extremely difficult but I think that you have to relax and try to think what they are trying to test you with these questions and then the question becomes a little bit easier.

Excuse any typos but I am on vacations and I write from cell phone. Best of luck to everyone :D
thank you for the right up! how did you use uworld?

thank you for the right up! how did you use uworld?
I started by doing 1-2 blocks per day without making notes. After 10-15 blocks I realized I was not getting the most out of the questions and it was only then that I started taking notes and do 1 block per day max. Reviewing questions and taking notes is time consuming but highly rewarding because you understand concepts better.
I think that the most efficient way to use UW is as a learning tool and let it help you boost your knowledge and point out your weaknesses. The most important thing I gained from UW was the type of thinking and how to approach questions.

I started by doing 1-2 blocks per day without making notes. After 10-15 blocks I realized I was not getting the most out of the questions and it was only then that I started taking notes and do 1 block per day max. Reviewing questions and taking notes is time consuming but highly rewarding because you understand concepts better.
I think that the most efficient way to use UW is as a learning tool and let it help you boost your knowledge and point out your weaknesses. The most important thing I gained from UW was the type of thinking and how to approach questions.

Amen!!! This is so true. Doing UW this way was definitely the best thing I could do studying for step. I agree about the test being a lot like a harder version of UW (which is compensated by the fact that you can actually get more questions wrong on test day).My friend was scoring 210 3 weeks before the exam and I told her to try to spend more time with UW and take notes and she ended up getting 230 on the real thing! My score was also 7 points higher than my highest NBME.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users