USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
260!

Ecstatic to say the least. I'll do a full write up soon, because I have a LOT of thoughts I want to share.

Thank you all for the support!

Congratulations! Awesome score, you deserved it!
Will be waiting for your write up :) I'm sure it'll have some gold advices for us.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Haha, you predicted it!
Im telling you that free 120 has a lot more relevance than people realize. I calculated around 70 scores and if you multiply your free120 bu 2.75-2.9 good chance you will fall in that range if taken honestly and close to date.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can rest assured your gonna get that.
Im interested in IM. I just want any university program. I dont need a green card but I only got a 232. Im pretty sure a 245+ on step 2 will lock me in
do you need visa?

Yes, I do need visa.
Wish you all the best! You can totally do it

96% 2nd pass is not just killing, I never heard about 96 on 2nd run. my friend scored 89% on second run and 255 on nbme 18 and 263 on step one. The other friend scored 255 on nbme also and had 83% uworld second run. I am sure you got pretty nasty form on real deal. If you are as good in real life as on the papers (96%) be sure you will match in decent program )))

For example I made today 2nd run uworld in anatomy, I scored 80% in one block. 80% is not bad, but 96% is a bit another game and another level I think of intrinsic intelligence and killer long term memory. If you don't mind how many times you did FA? I bet not more than 2-3 times ))

I want to ask you one more question. What resources you used, UFAP? And can you state that your knowledge overall is way more than information from UFAP? I want to correlate how you got 96% on uworld, because of much broader knowledge than ufap gives us, or just because for example good memory?

Thank you so much!!
My main resources were Uworld and FA. I didn't do pathoma in my dedication study period, however I did like 60-70% of it during my study for school in my basic years (the first 3 years). I am now in my fifth year so you can see it's been a long time. I did UWorld 2 times, and FA 3 times. I don't know if I've got a good memory or what but I think the thing about UWorld is that you have to understand concepts more than just memorizing facts. Of course facts are important and you need them. But this exam is all about concepts. That's why it's a not a matter of how many reads you do or how many passes of UWorld you go. You may have all the facts you need for the exam, but what's more important is to know how to use these facts.
I hope this helped!

First time here on SDN. I've been lurking on SDN for a while seeking comfort in reading about other people's success. I really hope I can do the same for others.

NBME 12: 200
NBME 13: 215
UWSA 1: 237
NBME 15: 217
NBME 16: 225
UWSA 2: 239
NBME 17: 234
NBME 18: 236

Step 1: 246 March 9th, 2017

By the grace of God, I achieved a score that I don't deserve. Anything can happen if you work hard and sincerely hope that you will be successful.

My study period started on Dec 26th, 2016 and ended on March 8th, 2017. I studied around 8 hours a day and took Sundays off or had a light review. The only resources I used were Uworld (did it 1.5 times), FA (read it probably twice in its totality), Sketchy pharm and micro, BRS physio, Pathoma and Boards and Beyond. Pathoma videos are key for mastering path and Boards and Beyond for everything else that Pathoma doesn't cover (such as biochem and physio). Achieving a 240+, in my opinion, is doable and anyone can do it if they study smart. The most important thing to do during your dedicated study period is to keep your resources thin and to really master Uworld. Uworld is the most important resource you have. It is much more important than FA and knowing it well is the key to breaking the 240 mark.

Good luck everyone and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Reactions: 13 users
Got my score: 230

NBME 17: 180 (before studying)
NBME 16: 203 (1 month out)
NBME 15: 205 (2 wks out)
UWSA 1: 232 (13 days out)
NBME 18: 215 (7 days out)
UWSA 2: 234 (6 days out)
NBME 19: 211 (4 days out)

So UWSAs predicted my score much better than the NBMEs. Also the NBME 19 was a pretty harsh curve, I thought.

Reactions: 5 users

So UWSAs predicted my score much better than the NBMEs. Also the NBME 19 was a pretty harsh curve, I thought.
your scores are scary close to mine

260!

Ecstatic to say the least. I'll do a full write up soon, because I have a LOT of thoughts I want to share.

congrats on your score.
if you do not mind me asking.
what exam did you use as your baseline and what was your score on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on your score.
if you do not mind me asking.
what exam did you use as your baseline and what was your score on it?

Thanks.

I don't believe in taking a baseline exam. Unless you have serious doubts and just want to know where you stand. Other than that, I think taking a baseline and then an exam every 2 weeks is a waste of opportunity, because you get questions wrong from a lack of content knowledge. You want to use these precious few tests from the real test writers to help your mind adapt to their style of questioning, in my opinion.

I took NBME 15 1.5 weeks out, got a 252 I think.

260!

congratulations man you made it
I expect my score this Wednesday ..even though , I refresh my e-mail inbox every 10 minutes ..
I guess you had such a hard time for those 3 weeks, and now you are feeling so high ..your hard work earned you this

I still have a week :(

Thanks.

I don't believe in taking a baseline exam. Unless you have serious doubts and just want to know where you stand. Other than that, I think taking a baseline and then an exam every 2 weeks is a waste of opportunity, because you get questions wrong from a lack of content knowledge. You want to use these precious few tests from the real test writers to help your mind adapt to their style of questioning, in my opinion.

I took NBME 15 1.5 weeks out, got a 252 I think.
Isn't there a benefit to taking them and then concentrating on the borderline performances every 2 weeks until the next NBME? I feel like this is a good way of identifying your weaknesses. (this is assuming one has already finished Uworld)

congratulations man you made it
I expect my score this Wednesday ..even though , I refresh my e-mail inbox every 10 minutes ..
I guess you had such a hard time for those 3 weeks, and now you are feeling so high ..your hard work earned you this

I still have a week :(
Right there with you buddy. We'll make it

Isn't there a benefit to taking them and then concentrating on the borderline performances every 2 weeks until the next NBME? I feel like this is a good way of identifying your weaknesses. (this is assuming one has already finished Uworld)

Yeah, I think there is some utility in doing that. But UWorld also tracks your weaknesses. It certainly isn't harmful to do NBMEs every 2 weeks or so.

Congrats to everyone who got their scores and slayed the behemoth! I hope to achieve close to you all have achieved on my exam! Thanks for providing your insight and reflections to us on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Step 1 advice

The following is riddled with opinion, so what works for me might not work for you. Eventually, we all find our journey. Also, the following might sound a bit extreme, but let me put it into perspective for you. You are giving up your best years, paying (or someone is paying) >$150K to get a license to practice, and you want to have as many doors open to you when the time comes. MS1 and MS2 = Step 1. Two years = 3 numbers. Get your head in the game. Go. H.A.M.

As I write this, the nagging question is, what is your goal/who are you. I think there’s a fork in the road when it comes to Step 1. You are in one of 2 crowds:

1) You have a superb memory, have always crushed standardized tests -AND/OR- you have a goal of scoring in the 230s, 240s
2) You have an average memory, work hard for your grades (99% of us) -AND/OR- you have a goal of scoring in the 250s+ (ROAD + competitive surgeries, university IM, or you’re a DO who dared to think about ortho ;))

If you belong to group 1, the standard doing well in MS1, MS2 + UFAP/Sketchy during dedicated will be fine for you. I describe that more below, but you’ve heard it in most people’s post-Step 1 write ups.

Group 2 is more interesting to me, because most of us aren’t geniuses, and a lot of us need high scores to fulfill our dreams.

So, if you are in Group 2: Start from day 1 of medical school. I don’t mean read FA, that would be weird. Avoid being weird. I mean do well in class, and start a spaced repetition program. Your current choices are Brosencephalon’s Anki deck or Firecracker. You can trial either and see what you like. The point is, you learned in genetics, in your first semester of medical school that amino acids linked to tRNA come into the A position of the ribosome, then shift left, then form a new peptide linkage, then exit etc etc etc. The problem is, the last thing you learned before your dedicated period was Heme/Onc and the side effects of chemotherapeutics. You WILL forget about how translation works. That’s just how your brain is. You never demanded it to remember how translation works after you took your genetics block test. So don’t blame your brain, blame yourself. The solution is a spaced repetition flashcard program.

I used Firecracker, you can use Brosencephalon, or better yet, create your own Anki deck as well. It takes 1-2 hours a day. It seems mindless and you will want to quit every now and then, but, having done all of this, I can say without Firecracker I would have scored 10-20 points less. If you are already an MS2 right now, there isn’t enough time to do this, that is fine, just focus on UFAP/Sketchy. If you are an MS1 or are 12 months from your exam date, I highly recommend this approach.

Now, in terms of materials:

Firecracker/Bros/Anki: Your spaced repetition if you have time etc

UWorld: Live and die by this QBank. Better questions have never been written. Do every single question, and thoroughly read every explanation. Keep a UWorld notebook. I ended up filling our 2 notebooks, which I eventually didn’t read, but just the process of writing it down with your hand helps. Read these notes if you can. I am not a fan of doing UWorld twice. You’re just testing how well you remember these 2400 questions. Doing the incorrects might help if you have time. Also, never convince yourself 'they would never ask that on the real deal.' Wrong. It's their job to ask that on the real deal. Make yourself want to know the what and why of everything. Browse Wikipedia if you have to. Just know why. That's your job.

Kaplan Qbank: I recommend this Qbank. Lots of annoying questions and details, and guess what, that matters on test day. Sure it’s not the highest yield. So, do this Qbank before UWorld if you have the time. I did ~800 questions.

USMLE Rx: Medium and hard questions are useful for content review. These questions are never really challenging. If you have time, you could use it to quiz yourself on weak areas. I did ~800 questions.

Sketchy Micro: Great program if micro gives you trouble. It has everything First Aid has. If you need it, do it. Definitely worth the time. I only used it for a few viruses, and apparently did well on micro, so you who knows.

Pathoma: Listen to every word this man says. Multiple times. You should hear him in your dreams. This is a good thing. Remember, this is high yield for examination purposes.

FA: Use it to review and reference. It’s a really boring read. Doing questions is key. If you did spaced repetition, you will eventually have memorized all of FA.

Timeline wise: if you are Group 2, you do spaced repetition, then when you get to dedicated, do UFAP/Sketchy. Add more questions, like Kaplan Qbank before dedicated if possible. Group 1, do well in class, do UFAP/Sketchy during dedicated.

Practice tests: you can do a baseline NBME if you need to. I’m not a fan of doing an NBME every 2 weeks. What does it tell you that UWorld can’t? UWorld tells you your weaknesses. I think NBMEs should be saved for the last 2 weeks. You need to learn how the test writers ask questions. You also need time to adjust using your knowledge on NBME exams. This includes learning to trust your hard-earned knowledge.

UWSAs are good too. They are basically more UWorld. People say NBME or UWSA is more accurate. I think it comes down to which batch of questions you get on your test day. If the questions play to your strengths, you will say NBME or UWSA is more accurate depending on which you scored higher on and vice versa.

Test day: It’s super important that you are in game mode on test day. Remove any crap from your mind. Forget about everything. (If you're a Falcons fan, don't think about the SuperBowl). Just be at peace and preserve your energy. I took USWA2 the day before, but if you can, avoid that. Maybe just leaf through FA the day before, whatevs. Take breaks on your exam, pace yourself. You will feel tight on time, so make sure you learn to test efficiently when you are taking practice exams. The MOST important thing here is, just trust yourself. Yeah, they can ask you about some random BS about some disease that 4 people in Borneo get every year. Don’t get phased by that. The concept is always something you have learned. Every question relies on a basic fact or mechanism that is in FA. Mentally, after reading a question stem, ask yourself, okay, what do these tools want from me? Then deliver. Deliver to the tools.

Scores:

NBME 15: 255
NBME 17: 250
NBME 18: 252
NBME 19: 255
UWSA1: 262
UWSA2: 269
UWorld average: 84%
Free 120: 93%

Real deal: 260

Reactions: 44 users
Step 1 advice

The following is riddled with opinion, so what works for me might not work for you. Eventually, we all find our journey. Also, the following might sound a bit extreme, but let me put it into perspective for you. You are giving up your best years, paying (or someone is paying) >$150K to get a license to practice, and you want to have as many doors open to you when the time comes. MS1 and MS2 = Step 1. Two years = 3 numbers. Get your head in the game. Go. H.A.M.

As I write this, the nagging question is, what is your goal/who are you. I think there’s a fork in the road when it comes to Step 1. You are in one of 2 crowds:

1) You have a superb memory, have always crushed standardized tests -AND/OR- you have a goal of scoring in the 230s, 240s
2) You have an average memory, work hard for your grades (99% of us) -AND/OR- you have a goal of scoring in the 250s+ (ROAD + competitive surgeries, university IM, or you’re a DO who dared to think about ortho ;))

If you belong to group 1, the standard doing well in MS1, MS2 + UFAP/Sketchy during dedicated will be fine for you. I describe that more below, but you’ve heard it in most people’s post-Step 1 write ups.

Group 2 is more interesting to me, because most of us aren’t geniuses, and a lot of us need high scores to fulfill our dreams.

So, if you are in Group 2: Start from day 1 of medical school. I don’t mean read FA, that would be weird. Avoid being weird. I mean do well in class, and start a spaced repetition program. Your current choices are Brosencephalon’s Anki deck or Firecracker. You can trial either and see what you like. The point is, you learned in genetics, in your first semester of medical school that amino acids linked to tRNA come into the A position of the ribosome, then shift left, then form a new peptide linkage, then exit etc etc etc. The problem is, the last thing you learned before your dedicated period was Heme/Onc and the side effects of chemotherapeutics. You WILL forget about how translation works. That’s just how your brain is. You never demanded it to remember how translation works after you took your genetics block test. So don’t blame your brain, blame yourself. The solution is a spaced repetition flashcard program.

I used Firecracker, you can use Brosencephalon, or better yet, create your own Anki deck as well. It takes 1-2 hours a day. It seems mindless and you will want to quit every now and then, but, having done all of this, I can say without Firecracker I would have scored 10-20 points less. If you are already an MS2 right now, there isn’t enough time to do this, that is fine, just focus on UFAP/Sketchy. If you are an MS1 or are 12 months from your exam date, I highly recommend this approach.

Now, in terms of materials:

Firecracker/Bros/Anki: Your spaced repetition if you have time etc

UWorld: Live and die by this QBank. Better questions have never been written. Do every single question, and thoroughly read every explanation. Keep a UWorld notebook. I ended up filling our 2 notebooks, which I eventually didn’t read, but just the process of writing it down with your hand helps. Read these notes if you can. I am not a fan of doing UWorld twice. You’re just testing how well you remember these 2400 questions. Doing the incorrects might help if you have time. Also, never convince yourself 'they would never ask that on the real deal.' Wrong. It's their job to ask that on the real deal. Make yourself want to know the what and why of everything. Browse Wikipedia if you have to. Just know why. That's your job.

Kaplan Qbank: I recommend this Qbank. Lots of annoying questions and details, and guess what, that matters on test day. Sure it’s not the highest yield. So, do this Qbank before UWorld if you have the time. I did ~800 questions.

USMLE Rx: Medium and hard questions are useful for content review. These questions are never really challenging. If you have time, you could use it to quiz yourself on weak areas. I did ~800 questions.

Sketchy Micro: Great program if micro gives you trouble. It has everything First Aid has. If you need it, do it. Definitely worth the time. I only used it for a few viruses, and apparently did well on micro, so you who knows.

Pathoma: Listen to every word this man says. Multiple times. You should hear him in your dreams. This is a good thing. Remember, this is high yield for examination purposes.

FA: Use it to review and reference. It’s a really boring read. Doing questions is key. If you did spaced repetition, you will eventually have memorized all of FA.

Timeline wise: if you are Group 2, you do spaced repetition, then when you get to dedicated, do UFAP/Sketchy. Add more questions, like Kaplan Qbank before dedicated if possible. Group 1, do well in class, do UFAP/Sketchy during dedicated.

Practice tests: you can do a baseline NBME if you need to. I’m not a fan of doing an NBME every 2 weeks. What does it tell you that UWorld can’t? UWorld tells you your weaknesses. I think NBMEs should be saved for the last 2 weeks. You need to learn how the test writers ask questions. You also need time to adjust using your knowledge on NBME exams. This includes learning to trust your hard-earned knowledge.

UWSAs are good too. They are basically more UWorld. People say NBME or UWSA is more accurate. I think it comes down to which batch of questions you get on your test day. If the questions play to your strengths, you will say NBME or UWSA is more accurate depending on which you scored higher on and vice versa.

Test day: It’s super important that you are in game mode on test day. Remove any crap from your mind. Forget about everything. (If you're a Falcons fan, don't think about the SuperBowl). Just be at peace and preserve your energy. I took USWA2 the day before, but if you can, avoid that. Maybe just leaf through FA the day before, whatevs. Take breaks on your exam, pace yourself. You will feel tight on time, so make sure you learn to test efficiently when you are taking practice exams. The MOST important thing here is, just trust yourself. Yeah, they can ask you about some random BS about some disease that 4 people in Borneo get every year. Don’t get phased by that. The concept is always something you have learned. Every question relies on a basic fact or mechanism that is in FA. Mentally, after reading a question stem, ask yourself, okay, what do these tools want from me? Then deliver. Deliver to the tools.

Scores:

NBME 15: 255
NBME 17: 250
NBME 18: 252
NBME 19: 255
UWSA1: 262
UWSA2: 269
UWorld average: 84%
Free 120: 93%

Real deal: 260
you dont need 250 for a IM university program

whats ROAD? rads/optham/anesthia/derm?

rads and anesthesia arent competitive

you dont need 250 for a IM university program

whats ROAD? rads/optham/anesthia/derm?

rads and anesthesia arent competitive
Why the critique? ROAD has more or less become a blanket term for cometitive specialties.. And rads still needs a 240 to be competitive candidate. Same with anesthesia. Most rads candidates are scoring 250s on here. (I'm aiming for rads). And most people I know who recently matched anesthesia scored 250+.. not really sure about them though.

Im sorry to bother you guys but wanted to ask you something. Im taking step 1 next Friday. What do you recommend I should? Still have NBME 15 and NBME 19 to do and UWORLD 2 assessment. Should I do those this week or should do one this week and one next week? Also, what u recommend I do these last couple of days? Do first aid and just read UWORLD notes + NBMES? I'm like so confused because I know these last 9 days are so important.

Also those who took step 1 already. Was the anatomy superior to the UWORLD and FA? or would u say all is in world and first aid? because that scares me, for example muscles of the arm, muscles and stuff of the perineum area. Like i didn't study anatomy in detail. Also, the biostats is killing me. Its like the more I study it I feel I get it but Im always getting questions wrong. Never can like fully 100% dominate it. And genetics of biochem, I'm noticing I'm not doing that well in the laboratory techniques part. My worry is that things show up in the exam that I never heard of or studied. I think I can officially say I'm freaking out since in one week I'm taking the exam I've been always talking about lol. sorry to sound so crazy to you all. Congratulations to those who excelled by the way!

P.S. My first language is spanish so if I write a little weird I'm sorry.

My average in NBMES right now is 220 with the last one taken two weeks ago. My average in UWORLD is 68% with 400 questions left. My Uworld assessment 1 was 237. My free 12o questions practice test last week was 78%(not that happy about it).

Hello all -

Got my score today, thought I'd post my NBME trend for others to correlate to.

NBME 16 - 237 (4 weeks out)
UWSA2 - 247 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17 - 250 (2 weeks out)
NBME 18 - 244 (1 week out)
NBME 19 - 242 (3 days out)

UWorld - 78% 1st/only pass (untimed, random)

Step 1: 257

I'll defer from adding my method because I don't think that it was any different than others here. Mostly UFAP with firecracker during M1/2. I found my test to be incredibly difficult (more difficult that UWorld and any NBMEs) and was extremely worried after test day. I counted numerous questions that I answered incorrectly. My best advice is to just trust in your studying and know that you will likely do fine if you have put the time in. Good luck!

Reactions: 9 users
A question about the change that happens every year around this time....

how do they change the step 1 exam question pool every year?

DO they change the entire question pool completely?

Or any rough idea on how much percentage of the questions will be completely new?

Just wondering as to should i just go ahead and give it, or wait for UW and others to come up with changes based on the new question pool.

Hello all -

Got my score today, thought I'd post my NBME trend for others to correlate to.

NBME 16 - 237 (4 weeks out)
UWSA2 - 247 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17 - 250 (2 weeks out)
NBME 18 - 244 (1 week out)
NBME 19 - 242 (3 days out)

UWorld - 78% 1st/only pass (untimed, random)

Step 1: 257

I'll defer from adding my method because I don't think that it was any different than others here. Mostly UFAP with firecracker during M1/2. I found my test to be incredibly difficult (more difficult that UWorld and any NBMEs) and was extremely worried after test day. I counted numerous questions that I answered incorrectly. My best advice is to just trust in your studying and know that you will likely do fine if you have put the time in. Good luck!

Congrats on the score!

How did you move past the impulse to look up things that you think you got wrong? I'm at a solid 13 questions, 8 of which were careless mistakes. It's only been 2 days and I think I'm going to go insane, especially because I didn't have great scores leading up to test day (see earlier post).

@necro1187 @Anti-PD1 congrats on amazing scores to both of you guys!

Both of you used firecracker during M1/M2... I am an incoming M1 and am definitely going to use it as I have heard great things about it. How many hours a day or week did you put into it?

What other resources did you use during M1? Did you just focus on learning the class material or did you supplement with board materials? I've heard mixed reviews on what resources to use during M1 besides firecracker

First time here on SDN. I've been lurking on SDN for a while seeking comfort in reading about other people's success. I really hope I can do the same for others.

NBME 12: 200
NBME 13: 215
UWSA 1: 237
NBME 15: 217
NBME 16: 225
UWSA 2: 239
NBME 17: 234
NBME 18: 236

Step 1: 246 March 9th, 2017

By the grace of God, I achieved a score that I don't deserve. Anything can happen if you work hard and sincerely hope that you will be successful.

My study period started on Dec 26th, 2016 and ended on March 8th, 2017. I studied around 8 hours a day and took Sundays off or had a light review. The only resources I used were Uworld (did it 1.5 times), FA (read it probably twice in its totality), Sketchy pharm and micro, BRS physio, Pathoma and Boards and Beyond. Pathoma videos are key for mastering path and Boards and Beyond for everything else that Pathoma doesn't cover (such as biochem and physio). Achieving a 240+, in my opinion, is doable and anyone can do it if they study smart. The most important thing to do during your dedicated study period is to keep your resources thin and to really master Uworld. Uworld is the most important resource you have. It is much more important than FA and knowing it well is the key to breaking the 240 mark.

Good luck everyone and please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Congrats on the great score.

In terms of difficulty, how would you rate the actual test compared to UWorld, UWSAs, and NBMEs? What was your UWorld average? The only reason I ask is because I have very similar scores as you and I am aiming for a 240+ as well.

great job man! someones gotta show you love

@necro1187 @Anti-PD1 congrats on amazing scores to both of you guys!

Both of you used firecracker during M1/M2... I am an incoming M1 and am definitely going to use it as I have heard great things about it. How many hours a day or week did you put into it?

What other resources did you use during M1? Did you just focus on learning the class material or did you supplement with board materials? I've heard mixed reviews on what resources to use during M1 besides firecracker

Have talked to Anti a bit asking a few of these so I can try to answer...(correct me if I'm wrong Anti) but he swears by firecracker from first day of school alongside school work. He also said UFAP is really all you need, with maybe Sketchy and it is better to know those cold than a bit of many random resources. Crush step 1 is another book he mentioned- it is mostly like FA but on steroids. Everything else is mentioned somewhere on this thread. Did I miss anything @Anti-PD1? lol

Have talked to Anti a bit asking a few of these so I can try to answer...(correct me if I'm wrong Anti) but he swears by firecracker from first day of school alongside school work. He also said UFAP is really all you need, with maybe Sketchy and it is better to know those cold than a bit of many random resources. Crush step 1 is another book he mentioned- it is mostly like FA but on steroids. Everything else is mentioned somewhere on this thread. Did I miss anything @Anti-PD1? lol

UFAP and sketchy alongside classes starting M1?

@Anti-PD1 @necro1187

First of all, congrats on the sick scores.

Secondly, been doing FC consistently during M2 (wished I was on it M1) and about to hit dedicated soon.
Some questions on how you guys used FC near the end:

How many cards were you doing near the end when you stopped?
Did you guys continue doing FC during dedicated?
Did you guys try the dedicated test prep mode?
Anything you'd change in regards to FC after seeing your results?

Thanks

Use UFAP for dedicated.

But Pathom and Sketchy can be used alongside MS1/2 as needed.

If you don't mind, please tell me what is your overall knowledge base. Can you state that you overall knowledge is beyond the ufap (I mean ufap by cold, word by word, everything). Do you think that you go beyond this? Trying to asses if ufap by cold and understanding everything in ufap is enough for 250 + ... Because I am not sure about using goljan audio which is 40+ hours, somewhere in the depth of my mind I think that ufap is enough even for 260 with a normal real deal form, but I am not sure ... what can you state? Is ufap enough to break 250?

Congrats on the great score.

In terms of difficulty, how would you rate the actual test compared to UWorld, UWSAs, and NBMEs? What was your UWorld average? The only reason I ask is because I have very similar scores as you and I am aiming for a 240+ as well.

Hey! my entire first pass of Uworld was nonrandom in tutor mode. So if one day was my cardio day, I would only do cardio question from Uworld. Therefore because of this, my first pass average was inflated at a 74%. In terms of difficulty of the actual exam, I thought the actual step was more like Uworld than any of the NBMEs. Actually, it was a little easier than Uworld.

Hi everybody,

I have been reading this thread for the last few days in order to fight the anxiety about the exam and I thought it was time to join in the discussion.

I'm an european medical student (not yet graduated) and I'll take step 1 in 2 weeks. During med school I was pretty average with some highs and some lows (Unfortunately I'm quite on the lazy side).

My goal is 230+ but I would be fine with anything above 220. My NBME weren't that encouraging:

NBME 15 (5 weeks ago, after 3 months of studying, 4-5h/day) =194, 56 mistakes (at least 20 were super basic stuff that I hadn't reviewed yet)
NBME 13 (4 weeks ago)= 200, 47 mistakes
NBME 16 (2 weeks ago)= 211, 46 mistakes (I was really distracted during this simulation, I've made 2 mathematical errors and I got wrong 4-5 things that I knew because I answered too quickly)
NBME 17 (1 week ago)= 209, 41 mistakes (really disappointed as this time I was super concentrated). The new curve on NBME 17 seems very harsh since 2 years ago many people commenting on this forum got much higher grades with more mistakes than me and this really scared me (is the step 1 getting tougher? why do they have to change the curve?).

In any case I think I still have some areas to improve and I'm finishing to read FA for the first time in this week, making flashcards for everything I didn't know. I've done Uworld 4-5 months ago (avg 47%), kaplan 2-3 months ago (average 63%) and now I'm doing uworld for the second time (avg. 74%, 2nd pass).

I'll be taking NBME 18 and 19 soon and I'll let you know about my progresses. Good luck to everybody who has to take the exam in this weeks and thanks to everyone who took the time to share his experience on this forum, I found them very interesting and useful

Why the critique? ROAD has more or less become a blanket term for cometitive specialties.. And rads still needs a 240 to be competitive candidate. Same with anesthesia. Most rads candidates are scoring 250s on here. (I'm aiming for rads). And most people I know who recently matched anesthesia scored 250+.. not really sure about them though.

I am not trying to critique what he said, I have great respect for anti-PD1 and its not cause of his score, its because hes a nice person.

I have researched a lot, looked at data, asked friends and seen what PD have said and just want everyone to be well informed who did not get 260s.

most of us worked our hearts out to get our score and we should know how good our chances really are.

it takes a lot of work and mental strength to get from a extremely poor baseline to a 220-250. If i started studying at just a passing score god knows the limit of my score, but when you start so low and use so much time just to get to above average your so happy but your also burnt out and you dont have the time or energy to get that 250. but on CK now that your base is strong, the sky is the limit!

if you look at the match data anesthesia and radiology had a 1.0 ratio for applicants to spots which is why currently they are considered not competitive. Rads is definitely heating up again due to the interest in interventional radiology.

most people on student doctor network have 250s anyway so you have to look at nrmp data not sdn

my close friend just matched into rads in michigan with a 230 and 240.

there is a whole forum on uslme-forums.com where a bunch of doctors matched anesthesia with scores from 220-250 with average around 235. anesthesia is a dying speciality because of CRNA's

Im not just trying to defend myself, but 230 and above will not be auto filtered, and then if you get 245+ on cK your a strong canditate for those.

derm, ortho, neurosurgery, opthalmo are all definitely out unless you absolutely kill step 2 with a 270 and have connections.

also remeber there are programs in every speciality that are in the top 20 which require stellar scores even if its FM.

you might not get the best, but your door is open to a lot of mid tier programs. Im willing to go anywhere, just hope its university based.

I just want students who scored in the 210-249 range to know that sdn is not the normal

of course there is a lot of importance on

year of graduation
if you need a visa
LOR
research

but step scores are the first thing that keeps you in the game

Last edited:

Man, we really have similar NBME scores... I really hope that the outcome will be as nice as it was for you. Congratulations for your score

Man, we really have similar NBME scores... I really hope that the outcome will be as nice as it was for you. Congratulations for your score

We have similar scores as well.
NBME 16 225, NBME 17 223, NBME 18 221 and I took my Step on Monday... I thought I had a chance of >220 but after all the mistakes I keep remembering I'm hoping for a pass. :( My advice is that no matter how much you think you know something anything can happen on test day... I was able to recite many things like it was my name and I messed up on those easy recall questions because I went through the questions too quickly... it's like I got too excited or something idk. Ugh.. trying to move on and hoping for the best when scores come out. I screwed up so bad :(

A question about the change that happens every year around this time....

how do they change the step 1 exam question pool every year?

DO they change the entire question pool completely?

Or any rough idea on how much percentage of the questions will be completely new?

Just wondering as to should i just go ahead and give it, or wait for UW and others to come up with changes based on the new question pool.

There's no way of telling. I doubt the entire pool changes, it costs a lot of money and time to write those questions. Whatever they change will be scaled accordingly. There are a limited number of ways of asking what cardiac defect is associated with Turner's syndrome.

Take it when you are at the top of your game, strike when the iron is hot. Give zero regard to this supposed question update.

@Anti-PD1 @necro1187

First of all, congrats on the sick scores.

Secondly, been doing FC consistently during M2 (wished I was on it M1) and about to hit dedicated soon.
Some questions on how you guys used FC near the end:

How many cards were you doing near the end when you stopped?
Did you guys continue doing FC during dedicated?
Did you guys try the dedicated test prep mode?
Anything you'd change in regards to FC after seeing your results?

Thanks

Thanks.

At one point it was 600 cards a day. It can be brutal. I did not during dedicated. There is plenty of ways to test your Firecracker/Step 1 knowledge during dedicated, i.e. UWorld, NBMEs etc. Doing questions during dedicated is the highest yield thing you can do after breathing.

I did not try test prep mode.

I would only have started FC earlier. I would also make sure to start or focus on my weaknesses. I ended up flagging everything anyways. But time is your most precious resource.

Reactions: 2 users