USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Thank you for your input. I frequently think that what if real deal will be really tough? Reading posts like this, wanes anxiety a bit away.

When you stated compared to earlier nbme's there were fewer clues, you are speaking about hint points and things that make the stem clear? Like jaw pain + headaches in stem about temporal arteritis? And the last nbme's have more clues like this compared to 1-13 NBME? Thank you.

If you don't mind what are you nbme scores?

Yes. In my opinion, NBME 18 and 19 had fewer hints per question stem than the real thing. The online consensus seems to be that there were noticeable changes in 18 that showed up again on 19.

In order:
17 (required by school, taken at the end of my finals as an attendance requirement): 173
15 (4 weeks out): 193
18 (2 weeks out): 209
19 (1 week out): 220
UWSA #1 (4 days out): 250

19 has a wacky curve, in terms of percent correct vs. score. I think they'll probably adjust it, since 80% on that was way lower than in earlier exam. We will see though... 3 weeks.

Yes. In my opinion, NBME 18 and 19 had fewer hints per question stem than the real thing. The online consensus seems to be that there were noticeable changes in 18 that showed up again on 19.

In order:
17 (required by school, taken at the end of my finals as an attendance requirement): 173
15 (4 weeks out): 193
18 (2 weeks out): 209
19 (1 week out): 220
UWSA #1 (4 days out): 250

19 has a wacky curve, in terms of percent correct vs. score. I think they'll probably adjust it, since 80% on that was way lower than in earlier exam. We will see though... 3 weeks.

thank you for your response. My friend told me that his usmle form real deal was more like uworld. some people say it is more like nbme. I think it's about luck to get a good form on real deal ... doing all the available nbmes + uworld we will be ready for both types of questions in terms of wording and hints, no other way

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here is expecting his/her score tomorrow?
It's like tomorrow will never come!
Yeah, me. Took it on the 7th.

I might not even check it tomorrow. My fingers are cold just thinking about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, me. Took it on the 7th.

I might not even check it tomorrow. My fingers are cold just thinking about it.

The same is here! lol
And what makes it worse here is that I have an exam the next day!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your input. I frequently think that what if real deal will be really tough? Reading posts like this, wanes anxiety a bit away.

When you stated compared to earlier nbme's there were fewer clues, you are speaking about hint points and things that make the stem clear? Like jaw pain + headaches in stem about temporal arteritis? And the last nbme's have more clues like this compared to 1-13 NBME? Thank you.

If you don't mind what are you nbme scores?
Is this suggesting that my NBME 13 probably was an overpreduction of where I really am? I hope not :|

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who took the test recently, approximately what % of the answers could be found in FA?

How about for microbiology? What % could be found in Sketchy? Do you guys feel like there is any truth to the idea that the NBME is intentionally trying to avoid putting info contained in Sketchy (since everyone knows that info)?

For those who took the test recently, approximately what % of the answers could be found in FA?

How about for microbiology? What % could be found in Sketchy? Do you guys feel like there is any truth to the idea that the NBME is intentionally trying to avoid putting info contained in Sketchy (since everyone knows that info)?

I didn't read FA as intensely as others so I won't answer your first question, but for the microbiology questions I got, im pretty sure I knew the answer to every one from Sketchy. I took the test a couple weeks ago.

Lmao! That takes too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:

idk where this theory came from but i havent seen anyone claiming it on these threads

I think all my microb questions where in FA, it was the subject that I answered the quickest.

I'll be taking my first NBME soon (one of the earlier ones, online). Any suggestions/tips on how to approach the questions since all I've been doing recently is Uworld?

90% of FA but its not that simple. because if you read FA at beginning of studying and take step 1 you will probably fail or barely pass.

it's after all the preparation that FA reads like a book because it all starts making and you are actually able to fill in all the blanks from books/lectures and questions so we think oh its all in FA but it a misconception. I hope that makes sense.

Hopefully on exam day everything just starts clicking from all the practice, thats how it was for me at least

90% of FA but its not that simple. because if you read FA at beginning of studying and take step 1 you will probably fail or barely pass.

it's after all the preparation that FA reads like a book because it all starts making and you are actually able to fill in all the blanks from books/lectures and questions so we think oh its all in FA but it a misconception. I hope that makes sense.

Hopefully on exam day everything just starts clicking from all the practice, thats how it was for me at least
So then what was your primary source? UWorld and pathoma?

I'll be taking my first NBME soon (one of the earlier ones, online). Any suggestions/tips on how to approach the questions since all I've been doing recently is Uworld?

Just take it. You will definitely get some wrong that you knew the right answer to because you're thinking they are gonna pull a UWorld on you and ask about some obscure crap. Eventually, after doing several NBMEs you'll start to trust what you have learned.

Reactions: 2 users
Kaplan.. like the course videos?
yes, i wrote a whole thing on what i did. the "non traditional way"

its amazing how many people are suprised that i did decent without reviewing uworls.

like if i did for example sketchy micro 3 times, to me that equals uworld explanations. so i just used uworld for timing and a sense of how to do questions.

pathoma
kaplan biocehm, physio etc

it all depends on if your basic foundations are strong after first two years or your learning it all yourself.

if you have a strong foundation i believe UFAP is perfect. to review and fill in some holes.

thats what people fail to explain, people assume your first two years were good. if your an IMG its probabaly not true.

if your baseline is a 140 compared to a 200 the way you approach studying and the amount of time uou need is way different

please no more private messages asking for step 1 questions, Im not going to risk all my hardwork on giving out questions I had. they are extemely strict about this. I can say what i did and found helpful. this is towards all the messages ive gotten not chromffin

Last edited:

It's crazy how many <40% correct questions in UWorld have the correct answer choice literally word for word in FA though. The tough part is the critical thinking required to get to the correct answer though. So, if you know FA word for word, you definitely will have the knowledge required to ace Step 1, but you also need strong critical thinking which you can't get from reading FA a million times.

It's 256 here!

Congratulations! I remember your post about your nbmes, you had 263 in 17,18. So your nbme's overpredicted, I am sorry for you about getting not lucky form - for you. But it is killer score!

I think breaking 250 and reaching 260 is totally about luck of getting a real deal form that fits your strong topics ...

Got the email. Report not up yet. Really, really, anxious. Might wait till end of day don't know.

It's crazy how many <40% correct questions in UWorld have the correct answer choice literally word for word in FA though. The tough part is the critical thinking required to get to the correct answer though. So, if you know FA word for word, you definitely will have the knowledge required to ace Step 1, but you also need strong critical thinking which you can't get from reading FA a million times.
yeah thats what i was saying. memo
Congratulations! I remember your post about your nbmes, you had 263 in 17,18. So your nbme's overpredicted, I am sorry for you about getting not lucky form - for you. But it is killer score!

I think breaking 250 and reaching 260 is totally about luck of getting a real deal form that fits your strong topics ...
250+ is gonna let you do anything anyway

Thank you!

My NBME 18 was 265 ( 5 days before the exam)
NBME 17 was 263 ( 4 weeks before the exam)
So yeah they over predicted for me. But my NBME 19 was 255 ( 2 days before the exam) so it's the closet to the real deal.
I was expecting +260 since I think I did pretty well in my exam. I've got borderline performance in biostatistics and I don't know why!

Thank you!

My NBME 18 was 265 ( 5 days before the exam)
NBME 17 was 263 ( 4 weeks before the exam)
So yeah they over predicted for me. But my NBME 19 was 255 ( 2 days before the exam) so it's the closet to the real deal.
I was expecting +260 since I think I did pretty well in my exam. I've got borderline performance in biostatistics and I don't know why!

Same NBME 19 lol. Also messed up a stats question on the real deal.

What was your UWorld average?

I hope so, I wanna do internal medicine. But I'm an IMG and I really wanna get into one of the top programs.

You can rest assured your gonna get that.
Im interested in IM. I just want any university program. I dont need a visa but I only got a 232. Im pretty sure a 245+ on step 2 will lock me in
do you need visa?

Last edited:
How is your score man? Hope you killed it!

First pass was 79%, second pass was 96%.

96% 2nd pass is not just killing, I never heard about 96 on 2nd run. my friend scored 89% on second run and 255 on nbme 18 and 263 on step one. The other friend scored 255 on nbme also and had 83% uworld second run. I am sure you got pretty nasty form on real deal. If you are as good in real life as on the papers (96%) be sure you will match in decent program )))

For example I made today 2nd run uworld in anatomy, I scored 80% in one block. 80% is not bad, but 96% is a bit another game and another level I think of intrinsic intelligence and killer long term memory. If you don't mind how many times you did FA? I bet not more than 2-3 times ))

I want to ask you one more question. What resources you used, UFAP? And can you state that your knowledge overall is way more than information from UFAP? I want to correlate how you got 96% on uworld, because of much broader knowledge than ufap gives us, or just because for example good memory?

260!

Ecstatic to say the least. I'll do a full write up soon, because I have a LOT of thoughts I want to share.

Thank you all for the support!

Reactions: 35 users
260!

Ecstatic to say the least. I'll do a full write up soon, because I have a LOT of thoughts I want to share.

Bannggggggggggg!!! Will be waiting for your thoughts and ideas! Congratulations. Party time I guess )

260!

whooooooooooooo!!!! congratulaions man, super happy for you!!! told you!!

p.s. waiting on that six pack!

Congrats man, amazing score! I think you deserved it with the sort of prep you had!