Official 2018-2019 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a scramble / SOAP process like residency? Never occurred to me to think about that lol
As I know there is a SOAP for unfilled positions.

Members don't see this ad.

NEOMED/Canton Aultman hospital has a cardiology-hospitalist program

I was waiting to post this later but now makes sense. I didn’t match last year and re-applied this year. There are a few options post match. I’m currently a cardiac hospitalist. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the December cycle work? Whats the time line ? Is it for starting fellowship in JUly 2019 or July 2020

How does the December cycle work? Whats the time line ? Is it for starting fellowship in JUly 2019 or July 2020

I hate that they send these emails, makes me feel like I forgot something for the rank list that just locked lol

Obviously way too early to think about, but browsing through the forum and google, I don't get a clear sense of how applying for interventional, EP, and heart failure actually works. Noting of course that many seats are either formally or unofficially locked in for internal candidates, how do things play out for the rest? Could someone share some insight?

Do the programs find out about the match results before the applicants? Like a few days before?

Obviously way too early to think about, but browsing through the forum and google, I don't get a clear sense of how applying for interventional, EP, and heart failure actually works. Noting of course that many seats are either formally or unofficially locked in for internal candidates, how do things play out for the rest? Could someone share some insight?

For IC, most programs if they have internal candidates (assuming they are wanted) will offer them spots first. There is no match and offers are usually given via phone call on a rolling basis to candidates they like. Usually if they have more than one spot then they will interview outside candidates as well. ERAS for most apps although some programs still have their own paper applications.

EP has a July application cycle so they open apps in July of third year via ERAS. They have a match supposedly. However they can also accept candidates outside the match and can accept internal candidates before and withdraw themselves from consideration. It’s a mess right now because the app process has changed multiple times.

Not sure how HF works

This is unfortunately nowhere near as clean and simple as residency and fellowship and there doesn’t seem to be any change in that for a while

Members don't see this ad :)
For IC, most programs if they have internal candidates (assuming they are wanted) will offer them spots first. There is no match and offers are usually given via phone call on a rolling basis to candidates they like. Usually if they have more than one spot then they will interview outside candidates as well. ERAS for most apps although some programs still have their own paper applications.

EP has a July application cycle so they open apps in July of third year via ERAS. They have a match supposedly. However they can also accept candidates outside the match and can accept internal candidates before and withdraw themselves from consideration. It’s a mess right now because the app process has changed multiple times.

Not sure how HF works

This is unfortunately nowhere near as clean and simple as residency and fellowship and there doesn’t seem to be any change in that for a while

Ah gotcha, thanks, very informative!

Ah gotcha, thanks, very informative!

HF is an ERAs app and they might be moving to a match. Previously it was ERAs then offer spots on rolling basis but then this past year they changed it to offers being done on a specific date for fairness, but a bunch of HF programs skirted the rules and apparently a lot of programs and applicants were already unofficially setup before said date and other programs got screwed. Hence the possible match for the future.

For EP you will have to apply in third year of fellowship through ERAS. It will be a match like general cardiology fellowship. I think Heart Rhythm Society is making sure all programs go through ERAS and NRMP and no outside match positions are offered.

HF is an ERAs app and they might be moving to a match. Previously it was ERAs then offer spots on rolling basis but then this past year they changed it to offers being done on a specific date for fairness, but a bunch of HF programs skirted the rules and apparently a lot of programs and applicants were already unofficially setup before said date and other programs got screwed. Hence the possible match for the future.

For EP you will have to apply in third year of fellowship through ERAS. It will be a match like general cardiology fellowship. I think Heart Rhythm Society is making sure all programs go through ERAS and NRMP and no outside match positions are offered.

Fantastic, thanks!! Sounds like hopefully by the current applicants reach that point, there will be some consistency with how it works!

Can anyone that maybe in previous years verify the process? Do we need to login to NRMP or do we get an email? Do the results post exactly at noon?

You have to log in to NRMP. No email. Results are at noon eastern time.

Was told that if we havent matched we would’ve been notified by now. Anybody heard this before?

You're gonna give people heart attacks writing stuff like this

Haha well I was hoping that somebody else’s heard the same and that we would mostly be reassured but I guess not.

Reactions: 1 user
Bigger question is why the hell does it take 2 weeks from certifying ROL to match day? Makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Yeah you find out the same time 11/28 @ 12:00 PM if you go unmatched. It's a really stupid system.

Whelp, didn't match. Anybody know how we should get in contact with PDs when all phone lines are busy?

this year was more competitive than ever, hearing several residents get umatched. CO
Whelp, didn't match. Anybody know how we should get in contact with PDs when all phone lines are busy?
sorry man, this was a really tough year. Do you see the unfilled list?

this year was more competitive than ever, hearing several residents get umatched. CO

sorry man, this was a really tough year. Do you see the unfilled list?

I did. I'm writing emails and calling. Guess that's all we can do.

Can someone post the match rate and percentage of US grads that matched to cards?

What is the match rate for this season in general?
Is there any willing to share their credential & matched program?

Hi can someone post the the programs with unfilled spot! I am just curious to know, I do not have access to it because I matched

Hi can someone post the the programs with unfilled spot! I am just curious to know, I do not have access to it because I matched

I doubt you'll receive an answer to this since I believe it's a match violation to post this information.

3 spots left on NRMP. Anybody know if they're actually available?

The NRMP numbers are listed under options and reports. Prelim numbers show:
Cardiology: 71.9 % matched, 27.3 % unmatched
Gastroenterology: 64.4 % matches, 35 % unmatched
Heme onc: 75.7 % matched, 21 % unmatched
Infectious disease: 94.7 % matched, 5.3 % unmatched
Nephrology: 95.1 % matched, 4.9 % unmatched
Pulm crit: 72 % match, 24.6 % unmatched
Rheum: 65 % match, 33 % unmatched

The Pulm Crit people posted this on their forum which I think is very helpful and we should do the same for Cardiology. Please share your experience so the upcoming applicants can learn. If you could please shed light on the following things in your experience that will be greatly appreciated:
1- Research: How many, what type, published or not ?
2- Posters or oral presentation ?
3- Did you do a chief year?
4- You residency program( university vs community)?
5- How many interview invitations did you receive?
6- USMLE scores?
7- What # did you end up matching at?

Thanks in advance!

1- Research: How many, what type, published or not: ~10 published papers (including college and medical school) with another ~3 in preparation (1 first author publication, during residency); >10 posters (including college and medical school; 2 first author, during residency)
2- Posters or oral presentation: Yes (first-author posters at AHA in 2017, 2018)
3- Did you do a chief year: No
4- You residency program( university vs community): University
5- How many interview invitations did you receive?: ~20
6- USMLE scores? All >260
7- What # did you end up matching at? #1

The NRMP numbers are listed under options and reports. Prelim numbers show:
Cardiology: 71.9 % matched, 27.3 % unmatched
Gastroenterology: 64.4 % matches, 35 % unmatched
Heme onc: 75.7 % matched, 21 % unmatched
Infectious disease: 94.7 % matched, 5.3 % unmatched
Nephrology: 95.1 % matched, 4.9 % unmatched
Pulm crit: 72 % match, 24.6 % unmatched
Rheum: 65 % match, 33 % unmatched

Dang, where did you find the prelim numbers? I only saw the entering class of 2018 numbers

Dang, where did you find the prelim numbers? I only saw the entering class of 2018 numbers

When you log onto NRMP to see where you matched go to options and then go to reports. It's all there.

Matched at SLU! Near the middle of my rank list but so grateful to have gotten a spot. Will anyone else be starting at SLU in July?

Reactions: 1 user
1- Research: How many, what type, published or not: ~7 published 1st author case reports, ~2 pending 1st author case report, 1 pending 1st author review article, 1 published 1st author book chapter, 3 QI projects
2- Posters or oral presentation: 8 posters & 2 oral
3- Did you do a chief year: No
4- You residency program( university vs community): community
5- How many interview invitations did you receive?: ~7
6- USMLE scores? All >230s
7- What # did you end up matching at? #2
8- Matched? University program
9- Visa: FMG on J1
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2015

Last edited:
The Pulm Crit people posted this on their forum which I think is very helpful and we should do the same for Cardiology. Please share your experience so the upcoming applicants can learn. If you could please shed light on the following things in your experience that will be greatly appreciated:
1- Research: How many, what type, published or not ?
2- Posters or oral presentation ?
3- Did you do a chief year?
4- You residency program( university vs community)?
5- How many interview invitations did you receive?
6- USMLE scores?
7- What # did you end up matching at
8- the graduation year from residency

Thanks in advance!

1- Research: How many, what type, published or not: 5 publications including case report, expert review and original research. 2 QI projects.
2- Posters or oral presentation: 1 oral and 3 poster presentations.
3- Did you do a chief year: Yes
4- You residency program( university vs community): University affiliated community program
5- How many interview invitations did you receive?: 35
6- USMLE scores? All >250

Please guys also add how long you have been out of residency - IMG or AMG

1- Research: How many, what type, published or not: 5 publications including case report, expert review and original research. 2 QI projects.
2- Posters or oral presentation: 1 oral and 3 poster presentations.
3- Did you do a chief year: Yes
4- You residency program( university vs community): University affiliated community program
5- How many interview invitations did you receive?: 35
6- USMLE scores? All >250

9 - FMG on J1
10 - Year of graduation from med school: 2014

1- Research: How many, what type, published or not? 1 publication, 4 abstracts, 4 in-preparation publications/projects
2- Posters or oral presentation? 5 presentations/posters
3- Did you do a chief year? No
4- Your residency program (university vs community): University
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? 18
6- USMLE scores? All >240
7- What # did you end up matching at? Accepted spot outside the match in September
8- Matched? Community program
9- DO
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2016

Foreign IMG

246/250/CS pass on 2nd attempt/234

Currently PGY-3 in a community hospital in NYC

Got 1 IV to Montefiore Medical Center, matched there