Official 2018-2019 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, any thoughts about UTMB and University of Arizona - Phoenix?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not interview at UW but liked Vanderbilt very much. Strong HF and EP, happy fellows, very diverse program. Nashville is not that much cheaper than Seattle to be fair but seems like a cool city.

Personally I feel UW is a bigger program both in academic and clinical exposure terms than VUMC. Clinical training might be almost the same as at VUMC but certainly UW has an edge when it comes to overall reputation and prestige. Plus I know you want this to be location independent but still everyone would agree Seattle>>>>>>Nashville.

Baylor is bush league, THI is major league. The loss of advanced heart failure at St. Lukes is a big blow though.

St Lukes has not lost HF, that's completely false. Having said that, if you're interested in working with residents and more academic feel to your training, then Baylor. If you're interested in PP and honing your clinical acumen, THI.

Last edited:
St Lukes has not lost HF, that's completely false. Having said that, if you're interested in working with residents and more academic feel to your training, then Baylor. If you're interested in PP and honing your clinical acumen, THI.

They no longer do heart transplants at St Lukes as they lost Medicare funding in September. VADs are still done but up in the air.

They no longer do heart transplants at St Lukes as they lost Medicare funding in September. VADs are still done but up in the air.

Don't forget that medicare makes up a small percentage of tx patients and even a lack of funding doesn't preclude them from still doing it pro-bono. According to one of their fellows I talked to, and one of our residents who interviewed there, they'll continue doing tx/lvads and it seems like a non-concern. I'll take their word for it.

Edit: Apparently they've hired a couple ct surgeons to bolster the hf program, so I doubt it's going away.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on the California programs? Specifically how to stratify programs in each of the following "tiers"

1) UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, Cedars
2) USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSD
3) Scripps, Kaiser LA, Harbor-UCLA

Personally I feel UW is a bigger program both in academic and clinical exposure terms than VUMC. Clinical training might be almost the same as at VUMC but certainly UW has an edge when it comes to overall reputation and prestige. Plus I know you want this to be location independent but still everyone would agree Seattle>>>>>>Nashville.
Seattle may be a cooler place to live than Nashville. But at this time Vanderbilt has the one of the most upward trajectory of all academic cardiology divisions in the country. Their EP and HF sections have several strong clinicians. Imaging is ok. It wd be interesting to see where they will end up in 5 years.

UWash's cardiology section hired Reisman- well known structuralist. Their echo lab was prominent under Otto, but have not seen anything major come out of there. ACHD is good. HF and EP there are okay. Epi through school of public health is good. Granted in the world of IM residencies UWash may be a bigger name than Vandy...

What are people's thoughts on the California programs? Specifically how to stratify programs in each of the following "tiers"

2) USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSD
Depends on what you are looking for....

If you want to be the next big thing in biotech... ucsf=stanford

if you want to be a private practice doc then most of these programs will serve you well.

For academia UCSF, stanford, UCLA are great.

For EP UCLA and UCSF are great

Structural/interventional- Cedars and stanford (Cedars interventional PD does not like to hire fellows who will settle in socal, so go figure it out..)

Imaging- UCSF, Cedars, stanford great for MRI, otherwise okay imaging

Transplant- Cedars, UCLA, UCSF is average (low volume)

ACHD- UCLA, UCSF are big programs, Stanford is decent too, I dont know about USC and whether they are affiliated with Children's of LA. Cedars is a fledgling here.

Depends on what you are looking for....

If you want to be the next big thing in biotech... ucsf=stanford

if you want to be a private practice doc then most of these programs will serve you well.

For academia UCSF, stanford, UCLA are great.

For EP UCLA and UCSF are great

Structural/interventional- Cedars and stanford (Cedars interventional PD does not like to hire fellows who will settle in socal, so go figure it out..)

Imaging- UCSF, Cedars, stanford great for MRI, otherwise okay imaging

Transplant- Cedars, UCLA, UCSF is average (low volume)

ACHD- UCLA, UCSF are big programs, Stanford is decent too, I dont know about USC and whether they are affiliated with Children's of LA. Cedars is a fledgling here.

Specifically between UCSF and UCLA, does one provide more procedural skills over another? Thinking if someone wants to go in PP, will UCLA be a better choice than UCSF. Undecided right now.

Are there positions offered outside the match? Is that a legal thing? What are your thoughts?

Some programs (including some big names) give prematch offers to people interested in their research track (physician scientist track)...almost always a 4 year commitment. It can be legal if they bill it as separate from clinical cardiology fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there positions offered outside the match? Is that a legal thing? What are your thoughts?

Yes, and apparently legal. A friend got offered a position by his internal, mid-tier cards program mid interview season. He had better interviews and turned it down. Personally, seems kinda shady and unfair of the cards program to do that mid-season, likely because they don't like their applicants enough. For my friend, he spent money on interviews, and programs used a spot for him to interview, and it puts an applicant in a dilemma of guaranteed spot vs risking the match. The program at most should offer rank-to-match, imo.

2) USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSD

Depends what you want. Academics with so-so clinical: UCSF, stanford. More balance: UCLA, UCSD. More clinical w/ academics: Cedars. Echo: UCSF. CT: Harbor, HF: Cedars, UCLA, stanford. Interventional: Cedars, Scripps, Kaiser LA (one of busiest labs in the state), Hate research; probably Kaiser. Inside track to Kaiser job; Kaiser. Loved everything about UCI except its "rep": UCI. And so on. This list wasn't all inclusive, just trying to make a point.

Specifically between UCSF and UCLA, does one provide more procedural skills over another? Thinking if someone wants to go in PP, will UCLA be a better choice than UCSF. Undecided right now.

UCLA>UCSF, but honestly if PP is the goal those 2 programs may not even be the best fit.

Any thoughts on umkc- mid america heart institute in kansas? Is it more academic, private or good mix of both? Thanks

Hey so if the NRMP website says certified in green then we are completely done right? Nothing else to do?

Any thoughts on the following programs for someone interested in interventional/structural?

Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern, Emory, UTSW, Mayo, Hopkins

Interested in interventional with some academic component down the line (planning to do mainly clinical work with time devoted to research ~20-30% as faculty). How would you rank these programs?

NYP-Columbia, WU in St. Louis, Yale, CCF, UMich, MGH, Penn, Mt Sinai, BWH, BIDMC, Hopkins, and Vandy.

Thanks for all the wisdom!

Impressive list, almost comical to be asking SDN for advice. Of course, you're best at knowing what program felt best and will reach your goals. Having said that, I'd put Yale last, unimpressive interview day, research heavy with nothing notable except nuc I think. Probably Columbia first, one of the handful of "powerhouse" cardiac hospitals in country, imo, with good interventional/structural and likely meet your academic interests. Mt Sinai is busiest cath lab in country I believe, but it's interventional program has some red flags. BIDMC is probably the highest volume center in boston, but probably pales in comparison to the NYC programs, in general everything is diluted in Boston. Hopkins I never got the impression it's cards program is anywhere near the rep of it's IM program. CCF may be not be best suited for academics goals. Vandy, Umich and WU seems like nice well-rounded programs from what I gather.

Reactions: 1 user

Your procedural skills will be similar imho. From a 100 feet view both programs are similar. UCSF is more prestigious, but prestige does not train u well!

Also depends on what procedure you are talking about. For example UCSF has takes 4 echo fellows every year- so I am not sure how many TEEs the general fellows are doing at Moffit. I am sure at VA and SFGH they get to do them. I dont know if UCLA takes imaging fellows.

If you want to do pvt practice in nor cal go to ucsf.

If u wish to do pvt practice in so cal go to ucla. So cal market is bigger. So more opportunities.

I think Cedars sends its fellows for clinical jobs in Kaiser, PAMF etc to nor cal every year.

UCLA has a bunch of youngish interven guys/gals. Lacks a master interventionalist. Shd have a high coronary volume. Structural volume average to below average depending on what procedure you’re looking at. For structural Cedars is big on west coast.

UCSF hired Mahadwvan sometime back. He is a rising star in interven/congenital world. Dont know if he has been able to ramp up volume there.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the following programs for someone interested in interventional/structural?

Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern, Emory, UTSW, Mayo, Hopkins

Emory, Wash U .

Mayo not very hands on.. u will probably will publish the most there!

Northwestern is good.

Hopkins, UTSW average

Last edited:
Hey guys,
How would you rank these programs UVA, UAB, UNC? Thanks for all the help.

Very similar. EP and HF at UAB stronger. UAB has traditionally had a more reputed cardiology program than the other two. I think that difference is more diluted now. When I interviewed at UNC for faculty position, I thought it was a well rounded program. UVA has traditionally had a strong imaging backbone- dont know how they are now.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on umkc- mid america heart institute in kansas? Is it more academic, private or good mix of both? Thanks
Its a very strong research institute- not so much strong in terms of clinical training

Some programs (including some big names) give prematch offers to people interested in their research track (physician scientist track)...almost always a 4 year commitment. It can be legal if they bill it as separate from clinical cardiology fellowship.

I agree some big programs do that when they face a problem filling research spots as those spots tended to have some scutwork and useless extra year commitment.

Any opinions out there about Kettering (Dayton) and LVHN (Allentown)?

Hey guys,
Hypothetical question...
would you take a prematch from St Joseph Medical Center if you a good chance through match?

Any thoughts on Temple, Drexel, Einstein, Christiana, Jefferson?

Temple is good all around, decent volume, sick patients. Not a desirable part of Philly
Jeff has academic reputation but has had problems with their transplant program which they are working to rectify. Low cath volume and EP volume from what I hear. Fellows are happy
Drexel is at Hanehmann hospital which is in shambles. Was not impressed on interview day
Christiana is not an academic center but has good volume and lots of stuff. No advanced heart failure or transplant. Their chief is Weintraub, who is very well regarded in the academic community
Never interviewed at Einstein

Any opinions out there about Kettering (Dayton) and LVHN (Allentown)?

I'd like to hear about Lehigh Valley, St lukes bethlehem, allegheny general, and virginia tech carilion. Any thoughts or insight?

LVHN has a new cards PD whos into sport medicine, not sure what changes he is bringing.

Hi Guys,
Can you please help me rank the following programs.? TIA
Tulane
Creighton
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
St. Louis University
LSU Shreveport.

Hi Guys,
Can you please help me rank the following programs.? TIA
Tulane
Creighton
University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
St. Louis University
LSU Shreveport.

Tulane : good name but cardiology program wasn’t too impressive
U oklahoma was better than Shreveport

Guys,

Any input on Univ. Kentucky [Lex] vs U. Cinci vs UT Houston vs Henry Ford.
Interested in Gen Cards.

any thoughts about the midwest programs? Looking for well rounded clinical training but would like to remain in academics
UPMC, Case , Ohio State, Henry Ford, Indiana U,

Yale vs. Ucolorado? seemed very research oriented?

Peripheral NY progams (ie not manhattan)
Monte vs. Stony vs. LIJ

Any suggestions University of Louisville vs. Wayne State University (DMC)? Thanks in advance!

any thoughts about the midwest programs? Looking for well rounded clinical training but would like to remain in academics
UPMC, Case , Ohio State, Henry Ford, Indiana U,

Yale vs. Ucolorado? seemed very research oriented?

Peripheral NY progams (ie not manhattan)
Monte vs. Stony vs. LIJ

I interviewed at like half of the programs, have some friends in those programs/graduated from them as well.

UPMC > UColorado > OSU = IU > Case = Henry; can't comment on NYC

UPMC was great, lower cost of living too. U Colorado also great, but insane cost of living; essentially be an eternal renter until 1-3 years of attending salary. OSU/IU see everything do everything. Got a slight malignant vibe from IU but everyone seemed happy and it might just be me.

Yale vs Pitt vs UVA for cardiology
Eventual goal interventional cardiology and plan to stay in academics.

Thanks

Yale vs Pitt vs UVA for cardiology
Eventual goal interventional cardiology and plan to stay in academics.

Thanks

All similar for cath, though a little stronger academically at Yale and Pitt
Clinical training at all three probably similar - medium volume, referral center for complex stuff

hello all

any advice on following programs and rank order
penn state
christiana
alleghany
drexel

thanks very much for your help!

Hi all,
Trying to decide between Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and UCLA. Undecided on subspecialty. Want to follow academic track later on (K route etc...likely more basic). Any advice?

Hey Everyone,
Any thoughts on the following please:

Northshore Medical Center / LIJ
Buffalo
Drexel
Christiana
Hawaii

Thanks!

I'd like to hear about Lehigh Valley, St lukes bethlehem, allegheny general, and virginia tech carilion. Any thoughts or insight?

LVHN has a new cards PD whos into sport medicine, not sure what changes he is bringing.

Yea what I understood is that there will be a 2 year interventional fellowship soon (1 spot) @ Lehigh. Would appreciate any other input though.

Hi all,
Trying to decide between Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and UCLA. Undecided on subspecialty. Want to follow academic track later on (K route etc...likely more basic). Any advice?

If you're open geographically and like all three, it should really be based on potential mentors, which only you can determine based on whatever your specific interests are.

Hey Everyone,

Buffalo
Drexel
Christiana
Hawaii

Thanks!

Drexel at the bottom
Northwell is probably the best of those but is an immensely busy program. Very strong in interventional and a new HF program from what I hear. I’d put it #1.
Buffalo is a clinically very strong program with strong volumes in CT/MR, intervention, EP (Their head of medicine is an EP attending). Would be #2 because of location
Christiana strong - I’ve posted about it before
Don’t know much about Hawaii but I’m sure location is nice here ahaha

Any advice how to rank these
- u of south Florida
- u of Arizona
- Howard University
- Lankenau
- Wayne State University
- u of Louisville

Thanks in advance

Hey Everyone,

Buffalo
Drexel
Christiana
Hawaii

Thanks!

Personally location is a big deal. I would not want to live in Buffalo, Delaware or Hawaii if I didn’t have to. Philadelphia has its draw backs, but is a decent size city with reasonable cost of living. As you can imagine there are a lot of competition with nearby hospitals which can affect your volume. The same goes for NYC programs. IMO, as long as you go to a training program with decent volume you’ll get the training you need to be successful.

I think people tend to choose programs that have advance heart failure/transplant and/or valvular centers of excellence because they tend to be at places that have a large referral base, and as fellows means more volume/exposure.