Official 2018-2019 Hematology/Oncology fellowship application season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we need PTAL before starting fellowship in California..?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interested in solid tumor. See a career in academics, hope to do clinical trials + education. Midwest bias. Is this ranking too far off base?

1. Mayo
2. Wash U
3. Michigan
4. Iowa
5. U Chicago
6. Wisconsin

Interested in solid tumor. See a career in academics, hope to do clinical trials + education. Midwest bias. Is this ranking too far off base?

1. Mayo
2. Wash U
3. Michigan
4. Iowa
5. U Chicago
6. Wisconsin

Personally I think all these programs are on a very similar level. They probably will all train you well for an academic career. So I think it just comes down to fit and mentorship that's available at a particular program for your exact career interests. Short answer, I think this ranking seems reasonable.

1. Mayo
2. Wash U
3. Michigan
4. Iowa
5. U Chicago
6. Wisconsin
If that's how you liked them, then that's how you should rank them. I certainly wouldn't rank them in that order, but I'm not you.

If that's how you liked them, then that's how you should rank them. I certainly wouldn't rank them in that order, but I'm not you.
I probably liked them like:
-Mayo = WashU = Michigan
-UChicago
-Iowa = Wisconsin

The ranking changes with ease of living in a city and having a fam and dog with a yard. But would love any input on how I should arrange these as best I can for my career, in terms of wanting to stay academic. Thanks!

-Mayo = WashU = Michigan
-UChicago
-Iowa = Wisconsin

The ranking changes with ease of living in a city and having a fam and dog with a yard. But would love any input on how I should arrange these as best I can for my career, in terms of wanting to stay academic. Thanks!
Again...it really doesn't matter which of those programs you go to for your future career. None of them are going to hold you back in that respect. You have to decide what matters most to you about each program (and training in general) and rank them that way.

Also, pro-tip...you probably won't remain academic.

Reactions: 1 user
-Mayo = WashU = Michigan
-UChicago
-Iowa = Wisconsin

If you really want to stay academic U Chicago should probably be higher than Iowa. Otherwise your original ranking looks fine, just depends how much you want that house/yard while training

What do you guys think of this rank for malignant heme? No geographic preference.
1. Duke
2. UMichigan
3. UTSW
4. UMaryland
5. NYU
6-8. Georgetown, Indiana, Jefferson

Hey,
Can you please help to rank. Interested in academic oncology , solid tumor- GI or Head and Neck. No major location preference but leaned to Midwest. Preliminary list:
1. UPMC
2. Baylor Houston
3. U of Minnesota
4. Karmanos
5. CWRU
6. Mayo Florida
7. U of Miami
8. Henry Ford
Thank you, appreciate and open to your advise if any changes needed.

Guys, I have question and forgive me if stupid one , when is the ranking list starts and ends and when is the match day???
I looked at Eras timeline but they don’t have these dates .. can someone help?
Have a wonderful weekend evening

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I have question and forgive me if stupid one , when is the ranking list starts and ends and when is the match day???
I looked at Eras timeline but they don’t have these dates .. can someone help?
Have a wonderful weekend evening
Ranking list started oct 3rd.
Deadline for programs and candidates to submit n certify is nov 14th.
Match date is Nov 28.
Good luck!

Hey,
Can you please help to rank. Interested in academic oncology , solid tumor- GI or Head and Neck. No major location preference but leaned to Midwest. Preliminary list:
1. UPMC
2. Baylor Houston
3. U of Minnesota
4. Karmanos
5. CWRU
6. Mayo Florida
7. U of Miami
8. Henry Ford
I'd personally swap Baylor and UMinn, but it's fine as it is.

I'd personally swap Baylor and UMinn, but it's fine as it is.
Thank you.
Would I lose much if I place Karmanos and CWRU before BAYLOR and Minnesota due to area interest? Please share some thoughts for Karmanos vs Baylor vs CWRU vs Minnesota for solids. Thanks a lot!

Thank you.
Would I lose much if I place Karmanos and CWRU before BAYLOR and Minnesota due to area interest? Please share some thoughts for Karmanos vs Baylor vs CWRU vs Minnesota for solids. Thanks a lot!
I think UMinn and Baylor are both a little more "solid" than Karmanos and CWRU.

Hi GutOnc or other admins/experts- appreciate your comments in ranking the following programs:
No Geographical preference. Interested in academics, heme malignancies and clinical research/phase 1/11 clinical trials

Fox Chase
Case Wastern R U
Indiana
Roswell Park
U Minnesota
Karmanos
Uni Utah

I am really having hard time picking up the right order as they all seem good to me. Any input and suggestion on choosing the right order is much appreciated.

Karmanos has a good phase 1 program that I am aware.CWRU is decent for malignant Hem but not for solids. With your interest in Hem I wonder why not U of Minnesota higher? FCCC is good in solids. Not well familiar with others.

Hey,
1. UPMC
2. Baylor Houston
3. U of Minnesota
4. Karmanos
5. CWRU
6. Mayo Florida
7. U of Miami
8. Henry Ford

I would not recommend Baylor Houston if you are interested in academic solid tumors. You spend too much clinical time to have adequate research time, and the faculty are not running many trials in GI/H&N. If you can tolerate the cold, UMinnesota would be a better option in my opinion.

What do you guys think of this rank for malignant heme? No geographic preference.
1. Duke
2. UMichigan
3. UTSW
4. UMaryland
5. NYU
6-8. Georgetown, Indiana, Jefferson

If you do not have a geographical preference, then I would say your top two are fine. Maryland has a decent transplant group and NYU is not bad either. I’m not sure about UTSW in terms of malignant heme.

I would not recommend Baylor Houston if you are interested in academic solid tumors. You spend too much clinical time to have adequate research time, and the faculty are not running many trials in GI/H&N. If you can tolerate the cold, UMinnesota would be a better option in my opinion.
Thank you for your advise. Any opinion about Karmanos and CWRU? I really liked GI at Karmanos but not the program overall.

How highly ranked is the NIH program if you solely want to be in academics? Is the clinical training adequate enough?

Hello all
Will greatly appreciate some help with my rank list, interested in academic malignant Heme/BMT. Mainly clinical research/trials but would like to at least get to know where the lab is. Do not mind doing super fellow or extra instructor year. No geographical restrictions. This is my prelim list
1. Moffitt
2. Baylor Houston
3. Indiana
4. Wisconsin
5. Albert Einstein NYC

Hi all

What are your thoughts between U chicago UNC, OSU (James ), Roswell park and U Virginia ? For academic career possible gi solid tumor and overall training ? Would you rank them in this order ?

Uchicago
UNC
OSU ( or swap this one for UNC?)
Roswell Park
U Virginia

Hi all

What are your thoughts between U chicago UNC, OSU (James ), Roswell park and U Virginia ? For academic career possible gi solid tumor and overall training ? Would you rank them in this order ?

Uchicago
UNC
OSU ( or swap this one for UNC?)
Roswell Park
U Virginia
I'd rank them just like that. You could swap tOSU and UNC if you want.

Hello all
Will greatly appreciate some help with my rank list, interested in academic malignant Heme/BMT. Mainly clinical research/trials but would like to at least get to know where the lab is. Do not mind doing super fellow or extra instructor year. No geographical restrictions. This is my prelim list
1. Moffitt
2. Baylor Houston
3. Indiana
4. Wisconsin
5. Albert Einstein NYC
May be Wisconsin up after Moffitt.

What did I miss at my Baylor interview ? Why is everyone ranking it so high. My impression was that you work a lot your first 2 years (3 months of electives total). And if you go into a research path your third year is kind of cush, but if you don’t don’t take a research year then you work even more your third year.

3 BMT months, on call a lot, and minimal / no moonlighting opportunities.

Am I way off ?

What did I miss at my Baylor interview ? Why is everyone ranking it so high. My impression was that you work a lot your first 2 years (3 months of electives total). And if you go into a research path your third year is kind of cush, but if you don’t don’t take a research year then you work even more your third year.

Am I way off ?
I think I am changing my mind agree with you. Starting comparing, it was initially higher for me.

I think I am changing my mind agree with you. Starting comparing, it was initially higher for me.

I am with you guys. I think Baylor is great clinically and for private practice. However, I think its too clinically heavy to be able to take advantage of the available opportunities to publish and be setup for an academic career. Also, worth mentioning that only ~4-5 positions all 3-years can be research track. This is because the majority of positions are paid for by the hospitals. So hypothetically if 10 ppl want to do research track, many ppl could be SOL.

I am with you guys. I think Baylor is great clinically and for private practice. However, I think its too clinically heavy to be able to take advantage of the available opportunities to publish and be setup for an academic career. Also, worth mentioning that only ~4-5 positions all 3-years can be research track. This is because the majority of positions are paid for by the hospitals. So hypothetically if 10 ppl want to do research track, many ppl could be SOL.

They are taking 9 fellows this year. They are so busy they could handle way more than that

Hi GutOnc or other admins/experts- appreciate your comments in ranking the following programs:
No Geographical preference. Interested in academics, heme malignancies and clinical research/phase 1/11 clinical trials

Fox Chase
Case Wastern R U
Indiana
Roswell Park
U Minnesota
Karmanos
Uni Utah

I am really having hard time picking up the right order as they all seem good to me. Any input and suggestion on choosing the right order is much appreciated.
Utah
Indy/UMinn
Karmanos/RPCI/FCCC
Case

Could any of you compare these three programs:

Cook county, st elizabeth, Advocate lutheran SUNY downstate

Concerns for st elizabeth is cost of living. I was surprised how expensive it is to live in boston. How does the fellows manage? They do have an affiliation with Dana Farber and all attending are from there. What would be a good order to rank these places

Hello all
1. Moffitt
2. Baylor Houston
3. Indiana
4. Wisconsin
5. Albert Einstein NYC

Any other suggestions? Would appreciate advice from the more senior members of the forum, durvalumab, gutonc et al....

Am I way off ?

Well for me particularly it was because they all but assured the funding for the 3rd year and extra instructor year to really create a proper research career and I dont mind doing that . But Im really confused between my number 2 to 5

How should I rank those programs, I just want to get a match ?

University of Colorado
University of Kentucky
LSU Shreveport
Baylor White and Scott
Sunny downstate
Brookdale University
Lehigh valley

East Tennessee Univ ( Medical Oncology only)
Univ of texas Medical branch at Galveston ( Medical Oncology only)

Future oncologist.. I am interested in solid tumors and I am biased to the south and good cost of living.. Mayo Arizona, South Carolina, UNM, U south California, university Utah ? Help please GI oncology is my goal

How should I rank those programs, I just want to get a match ?

University of Colorado
University of Kentucky
LSU Shreveport
Baylor White and Scott
Sunny downstate
Brookdale University
Lehigh valley

East Tennessee Univ ( Medical Oncology only)
Univ of texas Medical branch at Galveston ( Medical Oncology only)
Just like that.

No offense intended, but I'm curious how you got an interview at Colorado based on the rest of your list.

Future oncologist.. I am interested in solid tumors and I am biased to the south and good cost of living.. Mayo Arizona, South Carolina, UNM, U south California, university Utah ? Help please GI oncology is my goal
Utah
USC
Miracle Whip (primarily because of Toni Saab)
Whatever for the rest.

I have a question for experienced members. I have an interview at uni of Kentucky. How is the program. Would it be okay if I cancelled it. I have 8 interviews otherwise. Thanks for the suggestion.

Who said they are taking 9 fellows this year?

That is what I remember from the presentation. 9 fellows (this year only) and only interviewing 50/60 or so.

Could be wrong someone could correct me.

I’ve been asked if I’m single, in a relationship, married with kids, how many programs I’ve applied to, where else I have interviews. No one has asked for my SSN yet but I guess I’ll give it up if asked

Reactions: 2 users
Would like some input on rank list. To be honest will likely do group practice heme/onc. Have a strong regional preference. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks a bunch!

1. UAMS
2. Baylor Dallas
3. University of Tennessee
4. University of Missouri Columbia
5. Tulane
6. University of Mississippi
7. Ochsner
8. LSU NOLA

I have strong academic and research interests. What would be my rank list
From these options
NIH/NCI
MDACC
Baylor houston
Utah
Washington hospital center
Allegheny general
Methodist houston

Does any body know the stats behind the % of matched candidates who match at 1st,2nd, 3th...and so on?. I was just curious to know if most people match let's say their in ei The first 4 ranked programs?

On the nrmp the last data for fellowship is from 2011

I am just curious, why you called Mayo Miracle whip? Actually I liked it a lot

To save him the effort of responding to your post, Miracle Whip = Fake Mayo. It's pretty clever actually.

Does any body know the stats behind the % of matched candidates who match at 1st,2nd, 3th...and so on?. I was just curious to know if most people match let's say their in ei The first 4 ranked programs?

On the nrmp the last data for fellowship is from 2011

I looked this up earlier -- there is 2018 data if you're looking in the right place ;). Anyways, to save you the effort I'm copying a post I had from the page prior:

The closest objective data you'll have is the most recent 2018 charting outcomes of the match which shows that if you exclude the 26% of people that flat out don't match, 273/548 (50%) match at their first choice, 96/548 (18%) match at their second, 64/548 (12%) third, and 115/548 (21%) after their third choice.

Source: Fellowship Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program, first document, page 20

Reactions: 1 user
I have strong academic and research interests. What would be my rank list
From these options
NIH/NCI
MDACC
Baylor houston
Utah
Washington hospital center
Allegheny general
Methodist houston

Obviously this will greatly depend on what your "academic and research interests" are. So without knowing anything I would probably have Utah above Baylor. The NIH MDACC choice will just depend on research and clinical interests