Official 2018-2019 Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Capote1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let the fun begin!

Members don't see this ad.

What are some of the top pediatric cardiology programs?

any activity so far??? my co-residents for other fellowships has received some....

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing yet. I’m expecting it’ll be 1-2 weeks. Positive thoughts!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Nothing yet for me.
Let's start posting our interviews below so we can track which programs have sent out invites already. Post date of invite and name of program under whichever category you belong to.
Copy and paste it for keeping it updated.
Good luck everyone!

AMGs

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

AMGs

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Cincinnati Childrens Hospital - 7/16/18

Visa requiring IMGs

AMGs

Visa requiring IMGs

Do you mind posting your stats?

So I don't know if this will help quell anyone else's anxieties, but it helped relieve some of mine. I looked back at the last application cycle (2016-2017) and it looks like it took about 3 weeks for most programs to start sending out interview offers (programs started to receive applications 01 December and first mentions of interviews were 19 December with burst in activity over next 2-3 days). :thumbup:

Pediatric Cardiology 2016/2017 Interview Thread

So I don't know if this will help quell anyone else's anxieties, but it helped relieve some of mine. I looked back at the last application cycle (2016-2017) and it looks like it took about 3 weeks for most programs to start sending out interview offers (programs started to receive applications 01 December and first mentions of interviews were 19 December with burst in activity over next 2-3 days). :thumbup:

Pediatric Cardiology 2016/2017 Interview Thread

I was going to say the same thing, also if you look at the NRMP 2016 PD survey data, most of the interviews were sent a month after application started.

there are very nice data in that document.

I applied really broadly (IMG and needs a visa), no news yet. I received acknowledgments from 3 programs that interviews will be sent on August, and 2 communications last week that my letters are not complete (well they are complete now lol, but looks like letters are very very important).

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied really broadly (IMG and needs a visa), no news yet. I received acknowledgments from 3 programs that interviews will be sent on August, and 2 communications last week that my letters are not complete (well they are complete now lol, but looks like letters are very very important).

I applied broadly as well. That’s nice that they followed up with you about the letters.

AMGs

University of Rochester - 7/26/18

Visa requiring IMGs

UF Gainesville 7/26
Arkansas 7/26

Please carry forward list below and bold your additions

Arkansas
UAMS 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

New York
University of Rochester 7/26

Ohio
Cincinnati Childrens 7/16

Rejections:

Arkansas
UAMS 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26
Nicklaus Children’s Hospital 7/27

New York

Ohio

Rejections:

Any updates? my inbox is silent :(

I haven’t heard anything else since my last update. I heard most interview invites go out sometime in August. Have you received any interviews? If so, please add them to list above.

Arkansas
UAMS 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

New York
NY Presbyterian-Columbia 7/31

Ohio

Rejections:

Arkansas
UAMS 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

New York

Ohio

Rejections:
University of Minnesota 8/1

rejection from university of Minnesota, no iv's yet

If we haven’t received invitations from the places that have already sent them, should we assume that’s a rejection?

If we haven’t received invitations from the places that have already sent them, should we assume that’s a rejection?

I wouldn't assume that at all :)

Reactions: 1 users
I haven’t received any more interviews. I’m starting to get nervous.

I have three but no word from any programs in about 10 days. I was getting nervous earlier this week but found some solace reminding myself how early in the season we still are. Many programs just closed their application acceptance period and I expect are now reviewing applications (and some won't close until August 15th). I received a notice from Atlanta about 2 weeks ago saying that they'd received my application but wouldn't start reviewing, or offering interviews, until after the 31st of July, when applications were due. Atlanta also said that they would let us know by the 13th of August about interview offers, one way or another. Memphis also let me know that they've received applications, but no word yet from them. It looks like in the past about 180 applications are submitted. I think programs are just trying to be thorough and get it right. Remember, 2016-2017 interviews didn't really go out until about 3 weeks after apps were sent to programs. We just passed the 2 week mark this week. This is the start of the academic year as well and they've got new fellows, new staff, AND applicants.

The stress for me is there but I'm "hunting the good stuff" and reading what the programs, ERAS, and NRMP publish about the application and interview timelines. Looking at what prior applicants have reported here on SDN helps too. It's easier to stay positive when I look at the data ;-).

I'm not going to lie, I check SDN multiple times daily and this probably doesn't help with the nerves at all haha. We are doing okay :)

Last edited:
added Mount Sinai

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Ohio

Rejections:

rejection from University of Michigan by mail lol, they said the received around 110 applications, if this is the case, then this year looks like a reasonable year. I know not everyone applied to them, but since it is one of the biggest programs in the country with this number of applications, then this is encouraging!! hang on there.... IVs ARE COMING !! :bookworm:

rejection from University of Michigan by mail lol, they said the received around 110 applications, if this is the case, then this year looks like a reasonable year. I know not everyone applied to them, but since it is one of the biggest programs in the country with this number of applications, then this is encouraging!! hang on there.... IVs ARE COMING !! :bookworm:

Yeah, I have only heard from 8% of the programs I applied to. I didn’t apply to Michigan but that’s an encouraging number of applications. Do you think the number of applicants went up now that it is a July application cycle?

Yeah, I have only heard from 8% of the programs I applied to. I didn’t apply to Michigan but that’s an encouraging number of applications. Do you think the number of applicants went up now that it is a July application cycle?

I also only heard from 8% of the programs I applied to, and all in the list above. Looking at data from NRMP, 83% of interviews in 2016 were sent on January, which is equivalent to August in the new cycle, but I got to admit, seeing other threads (PICU and NICU) makes me nervous lol

added mercy Childrens

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

Missouri
Children’s mercy 8/6

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Ohio

Rejections:
University of Minnesota 8/1[/QUOTE]

Updated with a few programs... also cancelled MUSC and Montefiore this week so hopefully more invites will go out

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

Georgia
Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri
Children’s mercy 8/6

New York
NY Presbyterian-Columbia 7/31, 7/31
Montefiore 8/2, 8/1
Mt Sinai 8/3, 8/3

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Ohio

Pennsylvania
UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Rejections:

Updated with a few programs... also cancelled MUSC and Montefiore this week so hopefully more invites will go out

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

Georgia
Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri
Children’s mercy 8/6

New York
NY Presbyterian-Columbia 7/31, 7/31
Montefiore 8/2, 8/1
Mt Sinai 8/3, 8/3

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Ohio

Pennsylvania
UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Rejections:

Thanks for the update!! Did those places seem to have open spots left? It’s been quiet for me this week. I’m also from a small community program, so I’m not expecting to be invited to the big places.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!! Did those places seem to have open spots left? It’s been quiet for me this week. I’m also from a small community program, so I’m not expecting to be invited to the big places.
Montefiore used the ERAS scheduler and so it looked like my spot was the only one open. MUSC was via email so I'm not sure. Sorry!

Adding University of Minnesota, Children Hospital of Michigan, Cohen Children's Medical Center
Cohen Children's and Montefiore still have available dates on ERAS

Arkansas
UAMS 7/26

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26

Georgia

Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri

Children’s mercy 8/6

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3
Cohen Children's Medical Center - 8/3

Michigan
Children Hospital of Michigan

Ohio

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Pennsylvania

UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Rejections:

University of Michigan

Last edited:
Added UM Jackson Memorial

Arkansas
UAMS 7/26

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26
Jackson memorial 8/9

Georgia

Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri

Children’s mercy 8/6

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Michigan

Ohio

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Pennsylvania

UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Rejections:

University of Michigan

Added Wash U, UTSW, Primary Children's

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26
Jackson memorial 8/9

Georgia

Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri

Children’s mercy 8/6
Wash U 7/26

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Michigan

Ohio

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Pennsylvania

UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Texas
UTSW 7/19

Utah
Primary Children's 7/26

Rejections:

University of Michigan

Figured I’d add a few: Stanford, CHLA, UCSF, Michigan. Some are doing rolling interviews, so I’m going to hold off on adding dates.

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

California
CHLA
Stanford
UCSF

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26
Jackson memorial 8/9

Georgia

Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri

Children’s mercy 8/6
Wash U 7/26

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Michigan
University of Michigan

Ohio

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Pennsylvania

UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Texas
UTSW 7/19

Utah
Primary Children's 7/26

Rejections:

University of Michigan

Figured I’d add a few: Stanford, CHLA, UCSF, Michigan. Some are doing rolling interviews, so I’m going to hold off on adding dates.

I would add the dates so people can see the different rounds of interview invitations. I think that would be very helpful.

If I really want to go to a program due to family reasons and they have already sent out invitations, do you think it would be too early to send them an email espressing my interest or should I wait??

Rejection from Emory

Arkansas
UAMS 7/26

California
CHLA
Stanford
UCSF

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26
Jackson memorial 8/9

Georgia

Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri

Children’s mercy 8/6
Wash U 7/26

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Michigan
University of Michigan

Ohio

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Pennsylvania

UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Texas
UTSW 7/19

Utah
Primary Children's 7/26

Rejections:

University of Michigan
Emory 8/10

Added Wisconsin, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, and Memphis

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

California
CHLA
Stanford
UCSF

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26
Jackson memorial 8/9

Georgia

Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri

Children’s mercy 8/6
Wash U 7/26

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Michigan
University of Michigan

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Minnesota
University of Minnesota
Mayo

Pennsylvania

UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Tennessee
Memphis

Texas
UTSW 7/19

Utah
Primary Children's 7/26

Wisconsin
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin

Rejections:

University of Michigan
Emory 8/10

Boston Children’s rejection

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

California
CHLA
Stanford
UCSF

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Florida
UF Gainesville 7/26
Jackson memorial 8/9

Georgia

Emory 8/7

Illinois
Northwestern 8/2

Missouri

Children’s mercy 8/6
Wash U 7/26

New York
Montefiore 8/2
Mt Sinai - 8/3

Michigan
University of Michigan

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic

North Carolina
Duke 8/6

Minnesota
University of Minnesota
Mayo

Pennsylvania

UPMC 7/27

South Carolina
MUSC 8/3

Tennessee
Memphis

Texas
UTSW 7/19

Utah
Primary Children's 7/26

Wisconsin
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin

Rejections:

University of Michigan
Emory 8/10
Boston Children’s 8/10

How many interviews should we aim to go to maximize our chances of matching? Last year two of the seniors only went to 7, but they were also applying to less competitive fellowships.

How many interviews should we aim to go to maximize our chances of matching? Last year two of the seniors only went to 7, but they were also applying to less competitive fellowships.

I took the following quote from Denver's fellowship application guide (I googled it; see link below). Short answer is that the number of interviews we need to match varies based on multiple variables. The specialty applied to, our application's strength, and how that application matches up with what the programs applied to are looking for in a candidate all matter. I wish it was more straight forward in that for pediatric cardiology x number of programs applied to means y probability of matching, but I don't believe that is the case. I have read that we need anywhere from 3 to 15 interviews (super helpful right?), but again this range is not specific to us, accentuating the fact that the number needed is subspecialty and applicant specific. I am planning on going on as many interviews as I can to find what I hope is the best match for me.

"How many: This is also a highly personal decision which requires you to consider the factors above along with questions including, but not limited to: How competitive is my application? How competitive is my desired sub‐specialty? Am I willing to live in (insert undesirable location here) for fellowship so that I can become a cardiologist/gastroenterologist next year? In an informal poll of our exiting residents who matched in their specialty, the average number of programs applied to was 10 and the number of interviews was 6. In competitive fields like cardiology and GI, the rate of interviews is closer to 30%, so residents may want to apply to 20 or even more programs. A discussion with the fellowship director of your specialty of choice can be illuminating with regards to these issues".

Source:
Kearns, Mark; Graham, Brian; and Davis, Lisa "Introduction to the Fellowship Guide" University of Colorado School of Medicine; Updated 28 March 2017; Accessed Online 11 August 2018 at http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...ellowship/Documents/Fellowship Guide 2017.pdf

I took the following quote from Denver's fellowship application guide (I googled it; see link below). Short answer is that the number of interviews we need to match varies based on multiple variables. The specialty applied to, our application's strength, and how that application matches up with what the programs applied to are looking for in a candidate all matter. I wish it was more straight forward in that for pediatric cardiology x number of programs applied to means y probability of matching, but I don't believe that is the case. I have read that we need anywhere from 3 to 15 interviews (super helpful right?), but again this range is not specific to us, accentuating the fact that the number needed is subspecialty and applicant specific. I am planning on going on as many interviews as I can to find what I hope is the best match for me.

"How many: This is also a highly personal decision which requires you to consider the factors above along with questions including, but not limited to: How competitive is my application? How competitive is my desired sub‐specialty? Am I willing to live in (insert undesirable location here) for fellowship so that I can become a cardiologist/gastroenterologist next year? In an informal poll of our exiting residents who matched in their specialty, the average number of programs applied to was 10 and the number of interviews was 6. In competitive fields like cardiology and GI, the rate of interviews is closer to 30%, so residents may want to apply to 20 or even more programs. A discussion with the fellowship director of your specialty of choice can be illuminating with regards to these

That is a great guide. Thank you for posting it. I currently have 7 interviews, but can’t help but worry since most of the programs I applied to have already sent out invitations. Has anyone gotten second round offers?

That is a great guide. Thank you for posting it. I currently have 7 interviews, but can’t help but worry since most of the programs I applied to have already sent out invitations. Has anyone gotten second round offers?

Yes, interviews are definitely being sent on a rolling basis for some programs, I got one 5 days after it was posted up in the list, with many days available to set up the date of the interview, so it was not a cancellation.

added NYU, DuPont, CHOP

Arkansas

UAMS 7/26

California
CHLA
Stanford
UCSF

Connecticut
Yale 8/7

DC
Children's National 7/26

Delaware