Official 2018-2019 Psychiatry Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually enjoy traveling to new cities and feel like it is time and money well spent. I have an open mind and see advantages of both large academic programs and small town community programs. I am grateful for my invites and am very enthusiastic about each and every program that I receive the honor of interviewing at.

I think most people can tell whether a program is worth buying into by looking at Freida and wikipedia. Most happy residents will be at programs in nice cities and programs with lower work hours. And prestige and comfort are tied to geography in this country. I'm not going to give you much crap about holding onto 17 interviews, but I think that even I with about half of that number already can say that I probably will be ranking certain programs higher than others and others I will drop entirely once more invites come.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah no hate for interview hoarding because kudos, but you honestly just sound like you have no idea what you're looking for...
Saying that because you seem to be all over the place with regard to the program type and location. Or youre looking for that perfect fit that doesn't exist...

If you had a reasonably curated list of applications to programs where you'd be happy to be at any of them, then kudos some more.

I have 8 right now and I'm reasonably comfortable about my chances, but of all these interviews I wish I didn't have to go to 3-4 of them because it involves feigning interest because I love my home program and would only rank a couple of places above it. Just sucks that there's no guarantee that I'd be able to stay on...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar situation, sitting on a lot of interview invites and still holding onto several scheduled for January that I’m going to hopefully let go. Just waiting to secure 2-3 more as other people start canceling as well. I’m couples matching, so I was always planning to attend 20+ interviews

Only been rejected outright by one so far, with another telling me they plan to interview me once they have the anticipated cancellations that they usually have over the next month. There’s still going to be some movement my fellow applicants. Take that FWIW

I actually enjoy traveling to new cities and feel like it is time and money well spent. I have an open mind and see advantages of both large academic programs and small town community programs. I am grateful for my invites and am very enthusiastic about each and every program that I receive the honor of interviewing at.

I don't buy the whole 'I'm stoked about all these programs and can't give one up' bit. If you rank 10-12 you essentially have a 95% chance of matching according to the NRMP. Not all programs are equal so you more than likely know which ones on your list you probably won't attend or will definitely be ranking lower, if at all. It's great that you got so many interviews but in regards to the programs you're less interested in, you do them a disservice by wasting their precious interview spots and subsequently take interviews away from people who need them; couples matching being an exception. So knowing that, you're gonna take a few extra interview spots you'll likely be wasting because you enjoy traveling...? hmm

At the end of the day, you earned those spots and can do whatever you want with them, but after 12 rankable programs you shouldn't just interview for funsies- that's just mean spirited in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Similar situation, sitting on a lot of interview invites and still holding onto several scheduled for January that I’m going to hopefully let go. Just waiting to secure 2-3 more as other people start canceling as well. I’m couples matching, so I was always planning to attend 20+ interviews

Only been rejected outright by one so far, with another telling me they plan to interview me once they have the anticipated cancellations that they usually have over the next month. There’s still going to be some movement my fellow applicants. Take that FWIW

I think couples matching is a good reason to hold onto interviews since there's just so much more at play. IMHO the charting outcomes info isn't appropriate for that.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

You should do whatever you want that will make you happy and allow you to find the programs you want to train at!

So, are interview offers drying up or is there actually a “second wave” that people are talking about? Does anyone have any reliable info about this?

The second wave we were expecting was going to be from applicants dropping interviews they decided they no longer wanted.

I really don't think that programs are hoarding oodles of interviews at this point. I thought it was more of a redistribution though. I don't think I've heard from anyone new in a few weeks

May be a good time to send out a few more emails...

There will be a second wave soon if what's going on around me may represents any kind of trend---from folks with more interviews start dropping after they had gone on a few already, and know more clearly what they want from the process.

Last edited:
And are probably exhausted from talking about themselves so damn much...

Unless they like it. In which case... Gross.

how is one even able to attend 17 interviews? If I recall, my school was not allowing us more than a few days off from rotations for interviews. We actually had to use vacation time/board study time. It was a pain.

how is one even able to attend 17 interviews? If I recall, my school was not allowing us more than a few days off from rotations for interviews. We actually had to use vacation time/board study time. It was a pain.
Well people in different specialties go to that many if not more. Depends on whether you're traditional or not, if you have a rotation or not, if you schedule vacation days (if your school does that) or not, really depends. Also, at this point if you can talk to the attending or resident in charge and let them know ahead of time, many are sympathetic. Not every tells their school officially.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I just completed a Sub-I at a well regarding academic medical center and got great comments on my eval and received an A. Unfortunately I cannot add any more LOR to my application. Is there value in updating schools I have not yet heard from with this? Thanks for all the help!!

Hi guys, need some advice for a friend of mine who's applying Psych. COMLEX 1: 599, and 2: 530+. He applied to 70+ programs and only has 2 invites as of date.

Any advice on how to approach this? Should he be panicking, should he apply to FM/IM/TRI as a back up at this point?

Sorry I'm applying EM and didn't want to give application advice in a field I'm unfamiliar with. LMK what you guys think.

Hi guys, need some advice for a friend of mine who's applying Psych. COMLEX 1: 599, and 2: 530+. He applied to 70+ programs and only has 2 invites as of date.

Any advice on how to approach this? Should he be panicking, should he apply to FM/IM/TRI as a back up at this point?

Sorry I'm applying EM and didn't want to give application advice in a field I'm unfamiliar with. LMK what you guys think.

I would apply to those backups you mentioned. Personally would be panicking as well. Also consider sending out a lot of LOIs

At this point I'm resigning myself to the fact that I may not get any other ii's other than the 5 that I have. Sent a few emails to programs where I have ties to the area, but nothing yet. It's not ideal, but I feel like 2 on my list are safe(ish) so it is what it is.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting for invites

I wouldn't necessarily panic, but maybe worry. Can go ahead and apply to some backups and maybe reach out to some he's interested in. I think another set of IVs should come in once people start cancelled or declining IIs.
Goal for your friend should be 8-10 for a better chance at matching. If said person gets at least 5-6 total, it's better than nothing. You can still match. GL to you both (even tho you're applying EM)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Question for current residents/attendings:
What do you think of a residency with only a Voluntary Inpatient Unit?

I've looked high and low on previous threads and haven't seen much on this. One particular program that I quite enjoyed interviewing at has only an adult voluntary inpatient unit. No involuntary patients other than 48 hour holds waiting for transfer. I'm concerned at the end of the day, my experience is going to be skewed away from thought disorders and toward affect/mood disorders. Many of the residents don't seem to mind this much because they like not having to deal with the paperwork that comes with the committal process. Thoughts?

Thank you!

I've looked high and low on previous threads and haven't seen much on this. One particular program that I quite enjoyed interviewing at has only an adult voluntary inpatient unit. No involuntary patients other than 48 hour holds waiting for transfer. I'm concerned at the end of the day, my experience is going to be skewed away from thought disorders and toward affect/mood disorders. Many of the residents don't seem to mind this much because they like not having to deal with the paperwork that comes with the committal process. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Very concerning...

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you!

I am not a resident or attending but I think your initial concerns are spot on. IMO, not having to do some paperwork (which in my home state is pretty minimal time-wise) is a poor trade off for not seeing the most acute type of psych patients during your residency. Even if you are planning on working exclusively with mood disorders, you would be missing out on the most acutely depressed and actively suicidal patients.

Reactions: 3 users
Crickets in here!

Anyone have any updates? I got two more invites over the last week so I guess there may be some more movement going on!

Reactions: 2 users
I've gotten a few more invites as well and I am withdrawing others so there is definitely still movement!

For IMG that interviewed (or scheduled) for Mount-Sinai Elmhurst. Do you know if any pre-match has been sent already or when is the usual date for this? Thanks

I’m still at 8 interviews and 2 waitlists. All I’ve heard in the past two weeks is one rejection. Definitely thankful for the invites I have, but I wish I had a few more to feel comfortable.

Do some programs not offer invites if you don't have the CS on file?

Yes. Was told this directly by a PD during an interview last year. Their logic was "I currently have over 1,000 applicants and 700+ (I don't remember the actual number, but it was most) have complete applications. Why wouldn't I offer interviews to the people I know are set to go?"

Idk how common that is, but those programs do exist.

there are benefits including the fact that your chances of matching diminish a little after a certain number of interviews, the cost savings, the time, saving some energy (interview season is draining), and the fact that your performance suffers after a certain number of interviews whether you are aware of it or not. If you are able to get 17 interviews, that means you don't need to go on 17 interviews. It is also unlikely that someone is genuinely enthusiastic at matching at all of those places.

Yep, plus more interviews doesn't necessarily mean increased odds if there are other issues with the applicant. This person's posts reminded me of the thread from last year where the girl had 24 ii's and didn't match. Just a point that more interviews isn't always better.

What are the red flags in their app? Non-US citizen? Poor LOR's/dean's letter? Awful PS? Submitted app in Nov? Unless they only applied to top tier, DO-unfriendly programs there's got to be some other reason they're only sitting on 2 ii's. To answer the question though, yes, they should be very concerned and I'd be exploring plan B by this point.

Thank you!

Serious question, did you ask them how frequently they see thought disorders? Your concern is valid, but you'd be surprised how often psychotic patients actually come in voluntarily or are brought in and agree to stay (especially if they're homeless and you've got a free bed and food). If anything, you may be less likely to see certain personality disorders in this setting, as a large percentage of my involuntary patients have certain personality disorders (good luck getting paranoid personality to agree to admission). You may also not see manic patients as manic and hypomanic patients often feel good in that state and don't want treatment until they start coming down and realize what they were doing.

I am not a resident or attending but I think your initial concerns are spot on. IMO, not having to do some paperwork (which in my home state is pretty minimal time-wise) is a poor trade off for not seeing the most acute type of psych patients during your residency. Even if you are planning on working exclusively with mood disorders, you would be missing out on the most acutely depressed and actively suicidal patients.

Not sure about that either. Sure, there'd be some that wouldn't seek treatment. However, many of the extremely depressed and actively suicidal patients I've worked with agree to come in and get help once they're called out on it or caught in the act. The problem with many of them is not getting them to come in, it's getting them to stay after they've been there for 3-4 days and are only experiencing minimal improvement. Again, in my (limited) experience this is even more true if they've got an underlying personality disorder. This would certainly be something to be weary of, but I'd ask questions about possible inpt electives and general exposure to specific patient populations. A good question I always asked was "what kinds of patients do you wish you had more exposure to", as it's an indirect way of asking "What's lacking in your curriculum?" The common answer I got almost everywhere was eating disorders, but there were 1 or 2 programs where resident responses to the former question seemed to suggest a lack of exposure to some things you definitely want exposure to (adjustment disorders and anxiety as a primary diagnosis being the two I encountered).

Thank you!

Dartmouth is like this due to state law- only voluntary on their campus, but they have involuntary exposure at the state hospital (which is much more acute than most other state hospitals, as it's where all the involuntary patients go). Not sure if if this is the program you're referring to, but this setup seemed to lend itself to really good training when I went to interview.

9 interviews, one waitlist, many rejections. Second time application. Any pointers? My letters have been responded with rejections or silence. I’m seriously scared

9 interviews, one waitlist, many rejections. Second time application. Any pointers? My letters have been responded with rejections or silence. I’m seriously scared
I know people say rank 10 to be safe, but the difference between 9 and 10 is very slight. It is still very likely you will be fine.

I know people say rank 10 to be safe, but the difference between 9 and 10 is very slight. It is still very likely you will be fine.

Thank you for your confidence. I actually had 10 last year. My focus this year on obtaining a position is beyond anything compared to what it was last year. I am truly hoping that everything works. Thank you again.

Mind if I ask whether you are DO, IMG, or a US Grad?

Just got 1 ii yesterday, I think it was likely wait list movement. I'm a DO student, 9 interviews and 4-5 of them are very new, less desirable programs. I think(hope) that last aspect increases my chances :p

So far 7 interviews, 1 waitlist, 0 rejections. Applied to 17 programs, last invite received was on 10/29

Do you think it's annoying to call or email a program and ask if they're still considering applicants or looking at waitlists after having sent an LOI earlier in the cycle? How about asking them if there is anyway to improve odds?

Do you think it's annoying to call or email a program and ask if they're still considering applicants or looking at waitlists after having sent an LOI earlier in the cycle? How about asking them if there is anyway to improve odds?

I got a wait list this way... Who knows what it will turn into, but I say do it.

Similar situation as above: 8 ii, 1 waitlist, crickets for about a month.

Trying to come to terms with the fact I probably won't get any more interviews without panicking.

Still at 8 ii, 2 waitlists, and 4 rejects. Nothing in about a month and looks like this is it. Thought I was more competitive lol

I think 10 is fairly good and I doubt there is much difference between 12 and 15.

Is 10-15 II the magic number to ensure a match?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This data is available in charting outcomes. Ranking 9 last year got you across the 90% threshold, with very marginal increases in matching probability from there on out.
upload_2018-11-21_13-54-6.png

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

Everyone should look at the above graph and if you have scheduled two dozen interviews, please call us and cancel. If you flip this graph upside down, you will see the odds of us matching you if you have 20+ programs on your list and we don't like wasting our time any more than you do.

I have always wondered why this says "contiguous ranks" . What does an uncontiguous rank look like? Does it mean all are in the same specialty? Does it mean somehow you can rank 1, 2, 3, 5, 6?

Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 6 users
Everyone should look at the above graph and if you have scheduled two dozen interviews, please call us and cancel. If you flip this graph upside down, you will see the odds of us matching you if you have 20+ programs on your list and we don't like wasting our time any more than you do.

I have always wondered why this says "contiguous ranks" . What does an uncontiguous rank look like? Does it mean all are in the same specialty? Does it mean somehow you can rank 1, 2, 3, 5, 6?

I am holding onto 21 interviews and so far I am planning on attending all of them. Do I want to do this? No, but this system is broken so I will use every advantage I have even if it means "wasting my time". Psychiatry is insanely popular at my school this year and I plan on having a big of a safety net as I can. I could not imagine not matching and watch all this work I put in get flushed away. Change the system to allow early decisions please.

If you flip this graph upside down, you will see the odds of us matching you if you have 20+ programs on your list and we don't like wasting our time any more than you do.
?

Didn’t realize y’all know how many interviews I’m going on

I am holding onto 21 interviews and so far I am planning on attending all of them. Do I want to do this? No, but this system is broken so I will use every advantage I have even if it means "wasting my time". Psychiatry is insanely popular at my school this year and I plan on having a big of a safety net as I can. I could not imagine not matching and watch all this work I put in get flushed away. Change the system to allow early decisions please.

Check this site out:

Tableau Public

It might help you save some money and travel time.

I would be happy with my 5th choice, but would rather go unmatched than end up at my 4th choice.