***Official 2018 Orthodontic Interviews/Match/Non-Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, all the best with everything ahead!

Members don't see this ad.

Name of Ortho Program: Northwest School
Dental School Attended: CA School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2018
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: 1 year GPR, then practiced dentistry for 4+ years.
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass (scored)/Pass
ADAT Score: Didn't take
GRE Score: 165q, 162v, 4.5w
Class Rank: No Rankings
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: one day shadowing in 2 programs, neither of which offered me interviews.
Research: Undergrad research un-related to health field. No formal publications.
Extracurriculars: Multiple club positions, Lots of extracurriculars and volunteering.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 18/1/1/1

Reactions: 1 user
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: 1 year GPR, then practiced dentistry for 4+ years.

5 years in dentistry and still don't have a diploma...you are an enigma my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's depressing that there is only one international student here so far :/

Is it possible to match into an ortho program if your ranking is only in the top 30% of your class?

Is it possible to match into an ortho program if your ranking is only in the top 30% of your class?
based on what i understand so far, they look at you as a package
class grade, GRE ( and Toefl if it was needed), publication , extra curriculum activity , ...
If you lack on one aspect try to improve others

based on what i understand so far, they look at you as a package
class grade, GRE ( and Toefl if it was needed), publication , extra curriculum activity , ...
If you lack on one aspect try to improve others
It will be a great challenge to have the rest of your application reviewed if rank and GRE are low.

Name of Ortho Program: Mid West School
Dental School Attended: Southern School
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: No
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/Pass
ADAT Score:
GRE Score
: 155q, 157v, 4.5w
Class Rank: 28/108 (GPA: 3.73)
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Dental School research (biomedical research and some ortho CBCT work), AADR presentation, no publications
Extracurriculars: Leadership positions in ortho society and other orgs, teaching, community service
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 15/1/1/1

As you can see from my stats I am below your average applicant numerically in almost every sense. I was actually on the alternate list and thankfully someone canceled their interview at my school last minute so I got the call. It's extremely tough to get an interview when applying to ortho, but I am proof that once you get an interview everyone is on a level playing field. What I would recommend to everyone, but especially those with below average stats, is to try and stand out with your personal statement. Your essay is a big opportunity to break from the crowd and show them your personality. It's easier said than done, but really strive to make it unique enough to catch their attention. I believe my recommendation letters also played a large role in my getting an interview. I made sure that my professors wrote about who I was as a person and that my numbers did not reflect the type of candidate I was. All you need is one interview! Lastly, you need to convince your top school that you want to go there. They want people who truly want to go to their school so its your job to convince them of such! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hello all, new here. Recently got accepted to Roseman (i know but I've been out of school for a while). Interview went well but seemed unorganized. I attributed it to the new program director. Now it seems they have another new interim director and i can never get any answers back from the program. Haven't gotten any paperwork for registering (supposed to start in july). I'm beginning to worry that this might not be all its cracked up to be. Can any resident comment about whats going on at the program? Orthoman23 help, are things that unorganized?

Hello all, new here. Recently got accepted to Roseman (i know but I've been out of school for a while). Interview went well but seemed unorganized. I attributed it to the new program director. Now it seems they have another new interim director and i can never get any answers back from the program. Haven't gotten any paperwork for registering (supposed to start in july). I'm beginning to worry that this might not be all its cracked up to be. Can any resident comment about whats going on at the program? Orthoman23 help, are things that unorganized?

Orthoman23 is not a resident.... Just some fool trolling like they are in the know.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know about Maimonides and if a year of GPR is definitely required? I know it will help, but I am wondering if I need to do that to apply

Hi Guys, I have completed the application process during the cycle 2017-2018. I have matched at Tufts Ortho, which was my #1 choice, and I am starting this oncoming july! I have collected a lot of valuable information and I thought I would share my experience and knowledge. I have compiled a series of videos, which I have posted on my professional instagram account @sarahnaondmd to help you with the post-graduate application, check it out. Hope you take advantage of it and fill free to reach out. I will keep on posting videos.

Hi Guys, I have completed the application process during the cycle 2017-2018. I have matched at Tufts Ortho, which was my #1 choice, and I am starting this oncoming july! I have collected a lot of valuable information and I thought I would share my experience and knowledge. I have compiled a series of videos, which I have posted on my professional instagram account @sarahnaondmd to help you with the post-graduate application, check it out. Hope you take advantage of it and fill free to reach out. I will keep on posting videos.

Congratulations.