OP
21Rush12

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
No worries! The problem is when too many people click the link it expires. Prevents avalanche of trolls but makes it harder for me to distribute. Anyone else who needs it let me know here or PM and I’ll get you one!

Also, we can discuss things here as well for some attending perspective

Reactions: dchz
Oct 4, 2019
Status
MD/PhD Student
No worries! The problem is when too many people click the link it expires. Prevents avalanche of trolls but makes it harder for me to distribute. Anyone else who needs it let me know here or PM and I’ll get you one!

Can you add me please!

tick_tock400

5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Thank you! Does anyone know where good places [besides Discord, SDN, and residency interview days/dinners] are to get more information about programs before we commit? I'm contemplating buying a FREIDA membership, but not sure what value that would add s/p ERAS submission. I would love to learn more in depth details about these programs, but am not sure where to look for anesthesia in specific.

red157

2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2017
Status
MD/PhD Student
Could I get a discord PM? The link you posted previously didn’t work for me. Thanks!

meeks1992

2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

Can I please get the link? Thanks

Morzh

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel like the discord thing is not working out so well. It's hard to follow questions and the conversations are really fragmented. A chat room built around gaming just doesn't work for a months-long ongoing topic of discussion. You're also losing out big time on the feedback and advice from current residents and attendings who chime in these threads.

It was a nice idea. Probably too late this year, but next year I would recommend you stick with the tried-and-true SDN super thread.

OP
21Rush12

21Rush12

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
They’re not meant to be exclusive of one another, ideally both here and there would be active. Last year’s discord was very successful as was the SDN thread.

There’s a big difference in what you can discuss and share on SDN vs in a private chat area, and there are many more than one narrative going on at any time either here or on the discord. I can’t make people post here, they’re all welcome to do so obviously but it’s not really possible to force it. There’s also a balance of the SDN types and others from all different perspectives that makes the chat different.

Next year I’ll be an intern somewhere not worried about this, so it will be out of my hands. All I’m trying to accomplish is to help all of us work together to make the most of our cycle and support each other.

TheNolano

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just throwing out my perspective. Last year I ignored the discord through interview season but actually found it helpful when making rank lists. It was easy to ask specific program questions (like “does anyone remember the call at x”, “did anyone get weird vibes from the PD at y or just me”, or “can anyone tell me what it’s like to live around z”). Jan-Feb the discord was popping, we had several different chat rooms like one for help with rank lists, one for program specific questions, one to share our interview impressions etc. Overall, a fun experience and I met a couple people I later chatted with IRL. Would recommend.

On an unrelated note, thanks for what you are doing 21Rush. It’s a ton of work to just decide to coordinate all this, but every year someone has to step up. You’re doing it unpaid and even more shocking it won’t help your ERAS (part of me hopes you threw “moderated internet spreadsheet for neurotic med students” onto your hobbies, but I doubt it). I have no gifts for you, but I have to think it says good things about your character. I learned who the guy who did it last year is and I like to imagine that he ends up running for ASA pres someday or something ridiculous and I get to give an impromptu speech about that one time he coordinated a discord and google doc, and rally the convention. It’s all I want in my career to be honest.

In short, you’re appreciated and I’m glad you stepped up. Strong work, excellent commitment, low-pass.

OP
21Rush12

21Rush12

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
@TheNolano thank you for that, I really appreciate it. For the record though, I’m not handling the spreadsheet itself, that’s another unsung hero.

zero0

everything i hug dies
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Even discord has kinda run its course now that most invites are out. Hope everyone got their fair share. If past numbers are any indication I'll be pushing propofol by this time next year, just hope it's not at one of my safeties in the frigid northeast :1eek:

Reactions: Neopolymath

617b

2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2017
Wondered for a while if there’s an objective way for applicants to compare comprehensive resident feedback from different programs. Closest thing I’ve stumbled on so far is the ACGME survey available to current residents for their own program. While in ADS for logging cases, this is accessible via the “Surveys” tab just right of the red ACGME logo.

It shows, based on feedback submitted by current residents to ACGME, the program’s compliance percentages and mean ratings (plus the national values/mean) for nice subsets of data in the following categories :
- clinical & educational work
- faculty
- evaluation
- educational content
- resources
- patient safety/teamwork
(plus scaled responses to 12 specialty-specific questions; no national comparison for these)

Haven’t seen this data get much attention but it’s hanging out there. Paired with the spreadsheet and discord inputs, seems to provide good perspective.

What if... this were available to applicants?

For the keeper of the spreadsheet or 21Rush12, is there a good way for current residents to send their individual program’s PDF from ACGME/ADS for anonymous posting in the spreadsheet (or wherever is best)? Seems like a slick way to gather clearer perspectives on programs, with a couple limitations acknowledged.

If this data is already publicly available elsewhere, let me know!

OP
21Rush12

21Rush12

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Wondered for a while if there’s an objective way for applicants to compare comprehensive resident feedback from different programs. Closest thing I’ve stumbled on so far is the ACGME survey available to current residents for their own program. While in ADS for logging cases, this is accessible via the “Surveys” tab just right of the red ACGME logo.

It shows, based on feedback submitted by current residents to ACGME, the program’s compliance percentages and mean ratings (plus the national values/mean) for nice subsets of data in the following categories :
- clinical & educational work
- faculty
- evaluation
- educational content
- resources
- patient safety/teamwork
(plus scaled responses to 12 specialty-specific questions; no national comparison for these)

Haven’t seen this data get much attention but it’s hanging out there. Paired with the spreadsheet and discord inputs, seems to provide good perspective.

What if... this were available to applicants?

For the keeper of the spreadsheet or 21Rush12, is there a good way for current residents to send their individual program’s PDF from ACGME/ADS for anonymous posting in the spreadsheet (or wherever is best)? Seems like a slick way to gather clearer perspectives on programs, with a couple limitations acknowledged.

If this data is already publicly available elsewhere, let me know!
I think emailing the email on the spreadsheet would be the best idea — I’m not sure how else to go about it but that would seem easiest.

Excellent idea by the way!

Oct 23, 2019
Status
Medical Student
So far are there any non US-IMGs who haven't already completed home residency and who have gotten ivs for anesthesiology so far. I'm in dire need of some important information and I got a few questions if you don't mind.