Official ABIM 2014 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cancerian2020

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

With ABIM 2013 over, eyes are set on ABIM 2014.

Hope everyone's have started their preps for the exam.

Registration opens Dec 1st, 2013.
  • Internal Medicine Certification Exam: December 1 – February 1
  • Late Registration Period: February 2 – March 1
http://www.abim.org/exam/all-other-cert-exam-schedule.aspx

Exam Fees*
  • Internal Medicine Certification Exam: $1,365
  • Non-refundable Late Registration fee: $400

Lets start this thread to help each other tame this mighty Hungarian Horntail!

Please give your input on:
1. Prep material.
2. Board Review Course likely to attend.
3. Review question bank.
4. High yield topics.
5. Any tips which may be beneficial for 1st time takers?
6. Previous test takers: Ur experience and suggestions.

Lets get our wands ready, shall we?:)
hun2.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Think it's OK to use MKSAP 15 or should one go out of the way to get MKSAP 16?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I took and passed my ABIM 2013 boards, so selling my MKSAP 16 books and Boards Basic 3 in Houston, can also thrown in some addt' board review books/mtrl for free. MKSAP is also you really need to pass the exam (16 actually does for certain sections have a lot more new mtrl/new questions), don't mess with Medstudy or too many different sources of review material. Email me at [email protected] with a serious offer for the book, you can look up prices for various MKSAP 16 packages on the ACP website. The books are like new, no highlights or marking.

tip for first time takers, don't spread yourself thin. it seems like a lot of people on these boards use a lot of different resources which i don't really recommend. just use a book set like Medstudy or MKSAP and supplement with questions.

I read MKSAP 15 pulmonary and did MKSAP 16 pulmonary questions. I can tell you that >25% of the questions were not covered in MKSAP 15. Bottom line, MKSAP 16 has new material.

tip for first time takers, don't spread yourself thin. it seems like a lot of people on these boards use a lot of different resources which i don't really recommend. just use a book set like Medstudy or MKSAP and supplement with questions.

I agree. People use WAY too many resources on this board. It's better to know one resource really well than to kinda know 3 resources.

This really isn't that tough of an exam if you take it seriously and study right.

Well, unfortunately I did not pass boards on my first try a few months ago. I was a bit disappointed at first (inevitably), but I wasn't very surprised as my uncle was sadly dying from an aggressive cancer during the time and that consumed most of my true attention so my sub-par study efforts were pretty much doomed from the beginning. I did very well in medical school with a study buddy - he and I studied the first 2 years and just grilled each other about everything and we both got through school without any stress. I think I'd probably benefit from having a study partner for my second go-around for the ABIM test knowing how well it worked before. If anyone is interested please PM me. I'm working as a hospitalist and have every other week off, so I would be very flexible on those off-weeks for those of you with less appealing schedules (residents etc.). I've read of a lot of people using Skype for this sort of thing and I'd certainly give that a shot as I assume it's pretty easy to use.

Also, if anyone took Awesome Review, passed their exam, and now are willing to sell their notes please PM me as well. Not only can I not fit one of their classes into my schedule structure, but I'm a horrible lecture learner and I'm certain going to an actual lecture series would be a complete waste of my time because I've never learned that way. I keep hearing about how great the course is and really wish it could help me, so maybe having an extra set of notes to review a few times would provide a slight boost.

Good luck everyone!

Well, unfortunately I did not pass boards on my first try a few months ago. I was a bit disappointed at first (inevitably), but I wasn't very surprised as my uncle was sadly dying from an aggressive cancer during the time and that consumed most of my true attention so my sub-par study efforts were pretty much doomed from the beginning. I did very well in medical school with a study buddy - he and I studied the first 2 years and just grilled each other about everything and we both got through school without any stress. I think I'd probably benefit from having a study partner for my second go-around for the ABIM test knowing how well it worked before. If anyone is interested please PM me. I'm working as a hospitalist and have every other week off, so I would be very flexible on those off-weeks for those of you with less appealing schedules (residents etc.). I've read of a lot of people using Skype for this sort of thing and I'd certainly give that a shot as I assume it's pretty easy to use.

Also, if anyone took Awesome Review, passed their exam, and now are willing to sell their notes please PM me as well. Not only can I not fit one of their classes into my schedule structure, but I'm a horrible lecture learner and I'm certain going to an actual lecture series would be a complete waste of my time because I've never learned that way. I keep hearing about how great the course is and really wish it could help me, so maybe having an extra set of notes to review a few times would provide a slight boost.

Good luck everyone!
Really sorry to hear about your Uncle's illness and passing. I can certainly empathize with you as I lost two very close family members during my residency. I too had a very positive experience studying with a partner in medical school. I took Awesome Review earlier this year and passed but don't have the books anymore. Sorry about that. Not sure if anything I wrote helps at all but I just wanted to say you'll get over this hurdle. I am sure the difficult experience of losing your Uncle to cancer will further increase your empathy towards your patients. All the Best!

Yikes, seems a little early for all of this. By this point in your careers, having taken multiple step exams, you should sort of know the kind of test taker/studier you are. Hopefully your program has inservice exams which will help let you know if you are looking good to pass and which areas you need to focus on.

Show the test respect, do a decent job preparing, and you should pass. It is not a trick exam, a lot of the questions are very straight forward and are bread and butter gen med/primary care. Time is not an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed on my 1st attempt. Any suggestions on how to gauge your readiness for this exam? For the USMLE's I found that the NBME practice exams were a pretty good indicator of USMLE i.e whatever I got on the NBME practice exam I got on the USMLE exam.

From last year's forum I think 80% on the MKSAP questions and 60% on USMLE world seems to be a good indicator of a pass but I'm open to suggestions..

Did you take the in service exam during residency?

I got around 70% on MKSAP and passed comfortably.

Also, have the notes/slides from the ACP video series on ABIM board review if anyone is interested, they cover topics that boards like to focus on.

What I would recommend is using one source only to start. What I did was read all of medstudy. I felt it was great for boards and knowledge. Then I did mksap questions. That was all done around May. I took awesome review for a week in NJ. After that week all I did was his books. Passed with good deciles.

Good luck everyone

How to Pass ABIM CERT EXAM in 2014

I have Just received the good news from ABIM website that I have passed the recert exam.

First of all, this forum had a lot to do with my success. Therefore I owe to others to pass it on so they can benefit from this strategy. It is my understanding that some of our colleagues here do struggle with passing this exam. I do assure you if you use the strategy outlined below there is little reason that you will not succeed in your next attempt. I hope that my insights will also lead to your success, God willing.

Here are my recommendations:

- Start prep about 6 months before the exam date. Starting too early increases risk of burn-out and starting only a month or two before is not sufficient to cover and master a large volume of knowledge base.

- Single source such as MKSAP questions only, or USMLE World or Medstudy or ACP ABIM cert course will be too simplistic and is likely to end in failure again. Utilize multiple resources which will give various tools utilizing audio-visual media PLUS questions with details answers such as MKSAP 16.

-Find yourself a Study-Buddy. Distribute topics amongst each other in each specialty. Spend 1-3 days each week with 2-4 hours per session reviewing the pre-assigned difficult topics. Do not waste time on topics that you both are comfortable with...you will review those topics individually. Pick difficult concepts in Hematology, endocrinology, nephrology or neurology. If you can explain a difficult topic to Study-Buddy then you have mastered it. Move at a deliberate speed so as not leave any important material uncovered yet do not fool yourself by moving ahead when you still don't have grasp of a particular concept.

-Begin your program six months before the exam date by tackling each major speciality's MKSAP 16 questions. Try to understand why the incorrect choices are not the desired answer as much as the rationale for the preferred answers. Try not to use MKSAP text as it is too time consuming, however do read the MKSAP text for KEY concepts in Hematology, Rheumatology and Nephrology. These three are for some reason more complex questions on the ABIM cert exams. You must plan on doing all the MKSAP 16 questions at least 3-4 times during the next 6 months along with other resources outlined below. Important to know that the format of current MKSAP question is NOT similar to the actual ABIM exam questions therefore your sole purpose to do these questions to get the essence of the teaching points in these questions.

- While doing a systemic approach to your MKSAP questions, try to get access to Knowmedge.com. Again the question format here is UNLIKE ABIM, but may basic concepts covered here will build on your knowledge. Knowmedge utilizes animated graphics and tables which is a valuable tool for retention of the materials covered. Further the folks at Knowmedge have sifted through the ABIM Exam Blueprint topics in each specialty and their question are representative of the topics covered on the exam frequently. Animation videos when viewed repetitively will hammer in these concepts thoroughly in your brain.

- ABIM, on its website ABIM.org, puts out annual updates in Internal Medicine each year. These are modules with 25-30 questions with latest updated information that became available within the past calendar year. Although this information might be too new for your exam purposes it does represent what ABIM consider relevant for testing purposes and will likely come up in the next year or two. But for your purposes the FORMAT is identical to the actual ABIM certification exam questions. Make sure to practice all Previous years modules...as they might be fair game for you now. Repeat the hospital medicine modules as well because the concepts are similar to what you are being tested on. Therefore at total of 2011, 2012 and 2013 medicine update module in Internal Medicine and Hospital Medicine will give you many good actual exam like questions.

-Board Basics 3: probably the most priceless source. Know it inside out! Choc-full of HIGH-yield. Must get it.

- Approximately two months before the exam take the Awesome Review course offered at multiple cities around the country. Dr. Rahman has well-thought out his course and constantly reviews his topics. You need to hang on to every word he says during the course and write over your preprinted notes. Make sure you are giving him 100% of your attention and legibly take notes during the next 6 days. Read and re-read them at least 4-5 times....every little details of them until the very last day of your exam.

- That is all you will need as far as the resources. But you also need determination, positive attitude, good health and spiritual well being.

- Make a daily study schedule and stick to it religiously. You are in a boot-camp. Failure is NOT an option here. Get up early in the morning spend about 30 minutes in exercise or brisk walk. Eat healthy. Spend time with family. Minimize any psychological barrier. If you believe in God then be humble and plead for His help.

- Repetition- Discipline- Prepration is the key.

- Good luck.....Work hard....it will pay off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats @KSA2013 ! I just found out I passed as well!!!!

This was definitely not easy - and not something anyone should take lightly, especially if you're recertifying - for me at least, it's been a long time since I'd seen a lot of this material. I didn't realize how much I had forgotten! And not to mention things change! I certainly learned a lot as well. That's not to say I enjoyed this at all - I hate the process and still don't think a test should make me board-certified... but that's for another day.

I've been a lurker here for a long time and just wanted to say thanks to all that contributed to me passing! I followed what other people were doing and that certainly helped me craft a study plan.

For those it may help, here's what I did:

Jan 2013 - June 2013 - MKSAP books and question bank. This is really good and obviously what most people seem to use. The books have really high-yield and key concepts that are important to remember. I highlighted the items I knew I struggled with and kept going back to them. I would back other people's comments... don't use this as the only source! If I had to do it again, I'd still get these but please be aware that MKSAP by itself really isn't enough.

June 2013 - Habeeb Rahman's Awesome Review course. The guy was born to teach - just simple as that. And a genuinely and humble guy too. I continued to review his notes the rest of the time. If you can take this course, I highly recommend it... it's worth the effort to get out there.

June 2013 - September 2013 - I also added the Knowmedge question bank because a colleague suggested it. Worth every penny!! The items I was struggling with I'd just watch the videos and print the handout out of their qbank. I probably printed out 100-200 of their PDFs and put it in a notebook. For those that have trouble retaining information - I think this is the only question bank that is audio/video based.

September 2013 - October 2013 - Reviewed concepts from MKSAP books that I still needed to strengthen. Continued reviewing HR's notes and the Knowmedge printouts.

That's it - I kept it fairly simple. 1 set of books (MKSAP), 1 live course (Awesome Review), and 2 question banks (MKSAP and Knowmedge).

Good luck to all of you that will be taking it in 2014! There are a lot of different ways to study.... and if you just keep a regular schedule, you'll find that you'll be ready for the exam.

Agree...better to start early than too late.
I agree that starting early is helpful. Even more important is finding the right study buddy, someone you feel challenges you. This doesn't mean that the person has to be "smarter than you" or even have more knowledge than you. The key is that there should be a dialogue where the buddy asks questions that force you to think even if your buddy him/herself doesn't have all the answers.

Hello,
I have failed the boards several times. I plan to take it again in 2014. I have never had a study partner but I keep reading over and over in the ABIM threads that it is a must. If there is someone looking for a study partner, please contact me.
Thanks

Wish you all the best, Boardcertifiedinmyheart.

I took and passed the boards last year.
I did USMLEworld questions once, but did not pay attention to my score. I would just copy the answers, mainly tables that they have and would review these on weekends. I studied for 3 months prior to the exam, started mid May, had July and August completely off. I studied every single day. Took mayb 4-5 days off, full weekend days to rest.
After USMLEworld I did all MKSAP 15 questions also once.
I found the exam hard, long, and bad written even with many grammatical errors. It added nothing to my education, but it is something we certainly have to pass.
I can post later how my MKSAP answers compared to the actual test
Good luck everybody!

Congrats, Cubano! I also saw some grammatical errors in the questions. I also took used MKSAP 15 (Knowmedge was my main question bank source with MKSAP as a reference). Since we are one year out now, I would say that MKSAP 16 is recommended over 15 for those who haven't purchased either.

Congratulations to everyone who passed the test and good luck to those taking the test.
My thoughts after passing the ABIM IM cert and Subspecialty cert exams.
1]To give respect to the exam, irrespective of what other test takers/statistics say, it requires time and respect to study and to take the exam.
2] Give yourself enough time to study for the exam, make a strategy that works for you[takes time, maybe months during your residency years to figure out what works for you and craft a study plan] and implement the plan the last 6 months.
3]Diligence and discipline are important + choosing the right study material + sleep well the night before the test + plan your food and test breaks[incl rest room breaks] on the day of the test + locate the test centre before your test date to avoid last minute panic.If possible schedule vacation days before the test[worked for me when i took my IM boards during fellowship]. If you have distractions at home, check into a safe and comfortable hotel to study/take the test[did that for one of my boards].+ eat well/stay healthy.
4]what worked for me for IM: MKSAP edition all questions during residency + newer edition MKSAP all questions released in january[recommend Newer edition MKSAP questions ] + Board basics+ Med study books [five books] + Med study videos [multiple times]+ Med study video notes[one book].answer all questions/amalgamation of study material and clinical work. Be strong and believe in yourself.
5]stay focussed on your goal.
Wish you All the Best. Thanks to the forum for helping me stay focussed and thanks to all that contributed to me passing.

Congrats @KSA2013 ! I just found out I passed as well!!!!

This was definitely not easy - and not something anyone should take lightly, especially if you're recertifying - for me at least, it's been a long time since I'd seen a lot of this material. I didn't realize how much I had forgotten! And not to mention things change! I certainly learned a lot as well. That's not to say I enjoyed this at all - I hate the process and still don't think a test should make me board-certified... but that's for another day.

I've been a lurker here for a long time and just wanted to say thanks to all that contributed to me passing! I followed what other people were doing and that certainly helped me craft a study plan.

For those it may help, here's what I did:

Jan 2013 - June 2013 - MKSAP books and question bank. This is really good and obviously what most people seem to use. The books have really high-yield and key concepts that are important to remember. I highlighted the items I knew I struggled with and kept going back to them. I would back other people's comments... don't use this as the only source! If I had to do it again, I'd still get these but please be aware that MKSAP by itself really isn't enough.

June 2013 - Habeeb Rahman's Awesome Review course. The guy was born to teach - just simple as that. And a genuinely and humble guy too. I continued to review his notes the rest of the time. If you can take this course, I highly recommend it... it's worth the effort to get out there.

June 2013 - September 2013 - I also added the Knowmedge question bank because a colleague suggested it. Worth every penny!! The items I was struggling with I'd just watch the videos and print the handout out of their qbank. I probably printed out 100-200 of their PDFs and put it in a notebook. For those that have trouble retaining information - I think this is the only question bank that is audio/video based.

September 2013 - October 2013 - Reviewed concepts from MKSAP books that I still needed to strengthen. Continued reviewing HR's notes and the Knowmedge printouts.

That's it - I kept it fairly simple. 1 set of books (MKSAP), 1 live course (Awesome Review), and 2 question banks (MKSAP and Knowmedge).

Good luck to all of you that will be taking it in 2014! There are a lot of different ways to study.... and if you just keep a regular schedule, you'll find that you'll be ready for the exam.

I think people feel that if you go to awesome review he's going to give you answers. I agree with your assessment he's just an amazing teacher and highlights the important topics. However, you need to have a good fund of knowledge before going to his course.

@IMDoc607 - If I gave the impression that Awesome Review is the answer.... that's really not what I meant! I definitely had a base of knowledge by reading MKSAP before I went to his course. Still, he's a fabulous teacher and I learned a lot but I think all the sources I used were extremely helpful (MKSAP, Awesome Review, Knowmedge). For me personally, I needed all the sources... books, lectures, and audio/video qbank. For me it had been a long time since I'd reviewed any of this. For others, a different plan might work.

I think there are a lot of ways to study. In addition to starting early, the only thing I would absolutely recommend for everyone is to not simply using one source and rely on that as "the solution" including the Awesome Review course.

@IMDoc607 - If I gave the impression that Awesome Review is the answer.... that's really not what I meant! I definitely had a base of knowledge by reading MKSAP before I went to his course. Still, he's a fabulous teacher and I learned a lot but I think all the sources I used were extremely helpful (MKSAP, Awesome Review, Knowmedge). For me personally, I needed all the sources... books, lectures, and audio/video qbank. For me it had been a long time since I'd reviewed any of this. For others, a different plan might work.

I think there are a lot of ways to study. In addition to starting early, the only thing I would absolutely recommend for everyone is to not simply using one source and rely on that as "the solution" including the Awesome Review course.

Sorry didn't mean to come off like that. I was actually agreeing with you. However I see so many people of here say "I failed even after taking awesome review." My point is that it helps tie in and solidify your knowledge. However, it's not like some miracle course that hands you the answers. You're right on the mark.

Need advice for ABIM exam in 8/2014:

Current PGY-3.

ITE by year: As PGY-1: 38th percentile amongst PGY-1; PGY-2: 62nd percentile amongst PGY-2; PGY-3: 74th percentile amongst PGY-3 (just came out).

Have studied a bit during residency; nothing major. Want to expend the least amount of effort possible to pass this test without any doubt.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Hello,
I have failed the boards several times. I plan to take it again in 2014. I have never had a study partner but I keep reading over and over in the ABIM threads that it is a must. If there is someone looking for a study partner, please contact me.
Thanks
Hi

Boardcertifiedinmyheart, I would be interested in studying with you, if you are still looking for one or if any one is interested let me know.

Reactions: 1 user

Current PGY-3.

ITE by year: As PGY-1: 38th percentile amongst PGY-1; PGY-2: 62nd percentile amongst PGY-2; PGY-3: 74th percentile amongst PGY-3 (just came out).

Have studied a bit during residency; nothing major. Want to expend the least amount of effort possible to pass this test without any doubt.

A word to the wise, take this thing seriously. Even people from top residencies fail every year. Your first ITE is concerning. They say the PGY2 ITE is the most predictive.

For the least amount of effort- finish all of the MKSAP questions and take notes. Review those notes. If you have a deficiency in a subject read those portions of the MKSAP books. Skip the rest of MKSAP books. Review board basics a few times (ie MKSAP condensed). I think that's about the least amount of effort people would feel comfortable recommending.

As much as everyone acts like you need 12 different books and videos, you probably don't.

Last edited:

Current PGY-3.

My biggest piece of advice is to take it seriously. I would go in with more of a "do whatever it takes" mindset. You'll put yourself in the best position if you start early... like now. As for sources, it's not that it doesn't matter... but each person is unique and your way may work for you and not for someone else. Having just taken it, I would break your choice of resources into (I'm bolding the ones I used)
  • Books: MKSAP, Board Basics, MedStudy, Others (John Hopkins, Clev Clinic, Mayo)
  • Question Bank: MKSAP, Knowmedge, UWorld
  • Videos: MedStudy, Pass Machine
  • Live Course: Awesome Review, iMedicineReview.. I'm sure there are others as well - I don't know them
  • Study Partner
I set aside some time to study every day. The resources I used were limited but very helpful for me. View my earlier post above if you want to see what I actually did. There's no need to use a ton of resources but I don't think anyone can completely answer what the minimal amount you can do to pass is.

Also, I didn't use a study partner - difficulty coordinating schedules - but many people suggest this.

Good Luck... and Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Current PGY-3.

I had similar ITE scores, came from a strong residency program. I studied about 2 weeks, read board review basics 3 from MKSAP and did about 3/4 of the MKSAP questions online, passed easily. After about half the MKSAP questions, I looked at the subjects I was not doing as well on, and read more intensely within the MKSAP separate subjects. Otherwise, I felt like the total MKSAP package was knowledge overkill and I just wasnt ready to drudge through it all. Others will tell you they studied hard for 6 months, read 4 books, and failed. The thing is, a lot of the questions I got wrong, I dont know if any extra studying would have helped.

The important thing is not to blow it off, take it seriously, do enough MKSAP questions so you know roughly where you stand. Your ITE scores would predict a pass, but dont blow it. Remember to review sensitivity/specificity/PPV/NPV, etc, free easy points.

Hi

Boardcertifiedinmyheart, I would be interested in studying with you, if you are still looking for one or if any one is interested let me know.

Serious question, what does one do with an online study partner? Just keep each other on track?

Serious question, what does one do with an online study partner? Just keep each other on track?
It should be totally upto the study partners, what or how it works for each other can be discussed and go from there.
By the way, I have passed my initial certification in Internal medicine in 2004, my certificate would expire at the end of 2014, so I am planning to take re certification in October 2014, I have always had a study partner in all my medical studies. Even currently I have one, but that person is not serious, so that is why I want to see if any one would be interested in a study partner. Currently I work Monday through Friday, so I will be having weekends to study and may be 1-2 hours on the weekdays.

Just wanted to mention I completely agree with IM2GI's statement "Otherwise, I felt like the total MKSAP package was knowledge overkill and I just wasnt ready to drudge through it all. " Not only wasn't I ready to go through all of that, I genuinely feared that by trying to know each and every topic MKSAP discussed, I would actually forget important test material. On the other hand, Board Basics 2 (3 is out now I believe and even better I imagine) was much easier to digest. Best wishes to all of you in 2014!

My study partner and I went through all the MKSAP questions together, and when we were done with that, we asked each other random questions. It really helped me.

I'm interested in reviewing with a study partner - I'm a US grad, R3 and my timezone is Central. Please let me know if you are serious about a weekly Vchat to keep up with study schedule; my exam date is set for 8/8/14!

Took the Fall 2013 recert exam and luckily, I passed.

Just received Fall 2013 Internal Medicine MOC Exam "Description of the Score Report" in the mail. It stated "For your information, 5634 candidates took this examination and 71% passed. Of the total group of examinees, there were 4001 candidates with valid time-limited certificates taking the examination for the first time and 78% passed."

Good luck to all of you preparing for the initial cert and recert exams!

Took the Fall 2013 recert exam and luckily, I passed.

Just received Fall 2013 Internal Medicine MOC Exam "Description of the Score Report" in the mail. It stated "For your information, 5634 candidates took this examination and 71% passed. Of the total group of examinees, there were 4001 candidates with valid time-limited certificates taking the examination for the first time and 78% passed."

Good luck to all of you preparing for the initial cert and recert exams!
Love your member name :)

I am looking for a skype study partner for abim 2014. I am in central time zone. Please message me if interested.

We have to discuss the time that is good for both of us, other wise I am ready to start when you are ready.

We have to discuss the time that is good for both of us, other wise I am ready to start when you are ready.

You guys should probably private message each other to arrange your study date

Took the exam last year with MKSAP 15 and that was good enough to pass comfortably. However, I was curious to see MKSAP 16, which I just received last week. Haven't done the questions but the syllabus is definitely a nice reference to have handy in clinical practice

I'm set to go and ready to do this now! Got my MKSAP 16 books today. I'm going to start with Cardiology and work through the ABIM blueprint. Don't have a question bank yet but I'll get that soon. I'm also probably going to register for a live course. I've been dreading this exam but it's the final hurdle before board certification... ready to do this!!

I'm new to the board and hope we can all keep each other motivated to get through this exam. Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2014!!