Official ABIM 2015 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jellyfish study plan:

1. PRAY TO GOD, RHAM, KRISHNA, BUDDHA, ALLAH, JESUS JOSEPH AND MARY. Take that test Aug3, liesurely read MKSAP until I get my test results.

2. sing the meow mix song.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am looking for a study partner. I find that i learn best like this, but with family life its a little hard to meet up with someone physically. If anyone interested I will dedicate 1 hour a day and 2 hours on weekends purely to group learning. we can skype, face time or simply talk on the phone. Im open to suggestion
Sjype is a great way to do partners. My partner and I did Skype (voice only). It allowed us to send each other links, its free, etc. We both had the digital version of MKSAP so it worked well. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
you had FA for step and step secrets from medschool usmle days ?
I'm following your plan because I found MKSAP to be too much. Medstudy books are good for reading heavyweight subjects like card, pulm, gi, genmed, id.
Knowing Board Basics 3 COLD and mksap & other Qbank sounds like a doable good plan to me which will preserve sanity and help pass boards.

The basic board book is like a back bone book somewhat like FA is for step1 and Secrets was for step 2 and Master the Boards was for Step 3.

I annotated it with concepts I found were high yield from MKSAP Q, Uworld Q, and Know.medge questions. One gets plenty of time so you shouldn't run out of time. One gets 2hours for 60Q.

I think the reason some don't pass is they are spread thin by to many books and resources.

If I remember correctly. I did Mksap Q randomly first then started with my lowest scoring subject. For example, lets say it was rheum I received 50% and the rest of subjects were 55%-65% I would read rheum subject in board basics and then redo Mksap questions (particularly paying attention to those I got wrong that 55% (my own arbitrary cut off) of people got right. I would then do uworld and know.medge questions. Rinse and repeat. After all was done, I repeated only high yield subjects and weak as I am in an intense fellowship and did not have time to review everything. Focused on cards, gi, pulm, gen med..Then my top weakest subjects (rheum, renal, and id).

The test was similar to a mixture of world and mksap q's more so than any other source, but that BB book is right on target as well. I remember one of my buds in residency asking me what i was reading i said Board basics they where like what is that.

I don' feel like BB is a condensed book of MKSAP it its own special book. If you understand everything in it then you will be fine. Some areas you might have to annotate to make clearer but overall all you really need as a base.

I was given the MKSAP 15 books by a friend. Is it really that much different than MKSAP 16?

I am looking for a study partner. I find that i learn best like this, but with family life its a little hard to meet up with someone physically. If anyone interested I will dedicate 1 hour a day and 2 hours on weekends purely to group learning. we can skype, face time or simply talk on the phone. Im open to suggestion

Hi

I am interested. Let me know your email address. We can decide.

Thanks

Anybody else getting killed on know!medge? Very tricky

Looking for some suggestions. I failed last year and really really can't afford to fail this year. I did MKSAP and took the ACP course last year. I thought it would have been enough but I knew I failed as soon as I left the exam. I am going through the MKSAP questions again. I probably won't do the ACP course - that really wasn't all that helpful and I spent way too much money to fail.

Can someone tell me about:
1. Awesome review? I see a lot of good reviews on it but how is this better/different than ACP?
2. Know-medge - I see a lot of people like the QBank. Does anyone know about their flashcards?
3. Board Basics - Is this basically a condensed version of the MKSAP books. If I have the MKSAP books, is it still worth buying?

Thanks in advance.

I know how you feel, it sucks failing. I did MKSAP and Knowmedge and didn't pass . Definitely buy the BB3 . Don't waste money on any more Knowmedge material. Then I read here similar to you that Awesome Review is good. I took it in July for my October Recert and passed with flying colors. Please consider his Board Review course.

hi all
looking for a study partner. Located in Pensacola FL.
Thank you

Hello...looking for a study partner on the west coast. I am in MST. I do work in a clinic and sometimes round a local hospital. Most of my study time will be evenings and weekends that I am off. My test is scheduled on 8/18/15 in Phoenix. This is my first attempt( and I hope my only)! I won't have time to go through MKSAP reading so will focus on BB3 and MKSAP questions. I am also considering doing PASS machine videos to help make study sessions interesting. I'm am a visual learner but willing to adjust study techniques if I find it is bogging me down. Other resources I'm hearing about knowmedge and awesome review...will investigate but do not want to be bogged down with too many resources.
Dedicated to passing this. It is not easy especially having to work. So if you have to work or are in residency and need to smash this thing....please message me.

Looking for a skype study partner to do questions with. Im on Eastern time. I am scheduled for 8/12. On weeks I work(as a hospitalist) I can do early mornings ~6 or 7am and on off weeks anytime during the daytime should work. I want to do lots of questions so will be going through mksap and uworld question banks. Any of these should work to study together with. Also will be doing NEJM+ and BB3 on my own for review. thanks and good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello...looking for a study partner on the west coast. I am in MST. I do work in a clinic and sometimes round a local hospital. Most of my study time will be evenings and weekends that I am off. My test is scheduled on 8/18/15 in Phoenix. This is my first attempt( and I hope my only)! I won't have time to go through MKSAP reading so will focus on BB3 and MKSAP questions. I am also considering doing PASS machine videos to help make study sessions interesting. I'm am a visual learner but willing to adjust study techniques if I find it is bogging me down. Other resources I'm hearing about ********* and awesome review...will investigate but do not want to be bogged down with too many resources.
Dedicated to passing this. It is not easy especially having to work. So if you have to work or are in residency and need to smash this thing....please message me.
Pm me if you are still looking for a partner. I'm also on the west coast and working full time.

anyone feels like whatever you read in medstudy is quickly evaporating ?
thinking about not reading medstudy and sticking with BB3 and qbanks.
wonder if anyone used their MSKAP Qbank score to guide their study method and time spent studying. For example, If mksap score in high 60s and lows 70s without reading any board books like mksap and medstudy, would you just stick with BB3 and Qbanks or read medstudy cover to cover, BB3, and Qbanks
Thanks

anyone feels like whatever you read in medstudy is quickly evaporating ?
thinking about not reading medstudy and sticking with BB3 and qbanks.
wonder if anyone used their MSKAP Qbank score to guide their study method and time spent studying. For example, If mksap score in high 60s and lows 70s without reading any board books like mksap and medstudy, would you just stick with BB3 and Qbanks or read medstudy cover to cover, BB3, and Qbanks
Thanks
I realize nobody listens to me since I'm not pimping a board prep product, but if you don't study this way, you're an idiot.

Take the MKSAP online QBank, pick a subject, make a custom exam with 10 or 20% of the questions and take it cold. Score 75% or better? You're done. Be sure to include it in future question review, but otherwise don't bother. Less than 75% (or 80 if you're being really conservative? That's the stuff you need to focus on.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting to study , didn't pass last time , starting with MKSAP Pulmonology

Starting to study , didn't pass last time , starting with MKSAP Pulmonology
Did you read the post above yours?

How did you do on pulm on the exam you took? Is that your biggest weakness? If so, then good on you for starting there. You have real (if unfortunate) data to help you guide your studying. Start with your lowest percentile subject and work your way up the list between now and August. Use whatever review materials/courses you want/have time for/can afford. Don't waste time on anything you got 70th %ile or higher on the real exam. It will make you feel better about yourself but won't actually help you pass the exam this time.

I hope I had read anything like this before...I hope I had taken it more seriously!
First time test taker this Aug. I finished residency last Oct, off-cycle due to maternity leave.
I have been casually reading questions in MKSAP 16 print. Attended board review courses (intensely going through questions without thinking) at my residency program, for which we still have a couple subjects left. Read about 1 hour per night with multiple times passing out (Young kids). First year practicing in primary care - busy work.

NOW I AM IN A PANIC ATTACK MODE...

It is May 9th already. 3 months left. I have barely enough time to go through all MKSAP 16 questions and know them reasonably well if possible, plus maybe roughly going through BB3 once.

That is all.

How can I possibly pass this exam?

I did not study during residency, literally. I was always in a survival mode due to the workload. Never actively participate in any lectures etc.
ITE scores about 60% percentile I believe but not sure.

Now I am like, would it be enough time to prepare if I do this,
Study 3 hours Mon-Fri
6 hours each day on Weekends
Focus on one subject every week
Only focus on MKSAP 16 questions and BB3 (have no time for other stuff)
2 weeks of inpatient services in June so would be impossible to study
One week off in July (but with family vacation planned, which is really painful but I will try to study)
8 days off before the exam

I am really worried...Any "Ativan" will help, please advise...

I hope I had read anything like this before...I hope I had taken it more seriously!
First time test taker this Aug. I finished residency last Oct, off-cycle due to maternity leave.
I have been casually reading questions in MKSAP 16 print. Attended board review courses (intensely going through questions without thinking) at my residency program, for which we still have a couple subjects left. Read about 1 hour per night with multiple times passing out (Young kids). First year practicing in primary care - busy work.

It is May 9th already. 3 months left. I have barely enough time to go through all MKSAP 16 questions and know them reasonably well if possible, plus maybe roughly going through BB3 once.

That is all.

I did not study during residency, literally. I was always in a survival mode due to the workload. Never actively participate in any lectures etc.

Study 3 hours Mon-Fri
One week off in July (but with family vacation planned, which is really painful but I will try to study)

Hey I know how you feel. Im a full time hospitalist and on my 7 days off I'm destroyed from the 7 on. I never feel like I've studied enough. This will be the third time that I take this grotesque abomination of an exam and I'm just tired of it all. I spent my entire $4k cme on the exam and resources this year and if I don't pass this time I think I'm done with it. All I can tell you is take it very seriously. I feel like most of it is trickery and the best way to identify their tricks in the question stem is by doing as many questions as possible. I understand you have a busy family life and I do too. All I can say is put as much time and effort into it as you can so you don't have to go through again year after year like I have. Best of luck!

That is all.

Study 3 hours Mon-Fri

To be honest, you should have planned much better!
This exam should not be taken lightly and you knew when the exam was and how many questions you would have to do and read in order to be ready.

But anyways,
Yes, MKSAP questions are a must as is board basics 3. This are pre-req for the exam. I would start to read BB3 and then do questions in a topic and then read bb3 again for that given section.
Focus on cards and figure out what you are weak on and look at ABIM blueprint to see how HY that section is. Dont spend much time what you know well.

I would buy MKSAP audio and listen in car or whenever you have downtime as you will not have any time to read the main text. This way you will learn during times when you did not think you had time to study.

That is all.

Study 3 hours Mon-Fri

In the same boat. Been studying doing a few questions and reading sections here and there but now I need to go in full gear because I'm realizing my time is running out....still in residency and definitely panicking at this point. Of course I could have planned better, and I always plan to study, but I am seriously exhausted from my residency program and it's been hard to do a lot of intense studying...so I just need to figure out what I can do starting today so I can pass. Any recs for someone starting to seriously study 3 months before boards in August? *freaking out* My plan is first MKSAP and BB3 and go from there. I think my plan will be similar to yours Tele9999

So I was looking at my last years score report and realized I missed the pass score by 70 points! I'm not sure how much I missed it by the year before that cause I tore it up and threw it out in frustration. 70 points sounds like I have a very big hill to climb this time around and although I'm not having a freaking out just yet, I feel like maybe it's a good time to lose it. Any thoughts? Anyone overcome this much of a deficit?

I have a question that other residents may have run across. I am currently finishing third year of residency and have passed all the USMLEs. I have a limited license and I'm going through the process of getting a full license right now. I'm scheduled to take the ABIM in August after I have finished residency ... however I may not have a full license by that time. Can we sit for the ABIM exam with a limited license?

No. No unlimited license requirement for IM.
Not sure I understand your post (the two No's confuse me). The ABIM website pretty clearly says you have to have a permanent, unrestricted license to be certified. Do they not enforce that?

http://www.abim.org/certification/policies/general-policies-requirements.aspx#licensure

ABIM candidates and diplomates for Board Certification and Maintenance of Certification must possess a permanent, valid, unrestricted, and unchallenged medical license in the United States, its territories or Canada. Physicians practicing exclusively abroad and who do not hold a U.S. or Canadian license must hold a license where they practice and provide documentation from the relevant licensing authority that their license is in good standing and without conditions or restrictions. Restrictions include but are not limited to conditions, contingencies, probation, limitations and stipulated agreements.

Anybody have any advice on Pass Machine online board review videos vs Awesome review course?

What percent should we be getting correct on medstudy? I like the medstudy questions more than mksap so far. Any one planning on doing world?

Genie-I have been doing some of the PM videos. Some are great and some are pretty terrible IMO. If I could re-start to the beginning of 3rd year, I would have focused in on the medstudy videos.

What do you guys think about Know.medge? And why is it blocked if write it normally? Is it banned from SDN?

So trying to do three sets of question banks... NEJM+, mksap and Know.medge. I like the explanations in Know.medge, but the questions themselves seem too straightforward. I feel like NEJM+ has the most representative of questions on the boards so far, but not sure if anyone has used it last year and how they felt when they took the real test.

I have taken this test before and I wish instead of the stupid report they gave they would tell us exactly what we missed so I could cover those topics better.
I paid them ~1500 for this test, I think thats enough money to make up new questions next time. They could send back my score report with what questions/topics I need to read more on!

What do you guys think about Know.medge? And why is it blocked if write it normally? Is it banned from SDN?
Apparently they got in trouble because a bunch of brand new accounts were created last year extolling their virtues (i.e. "stealth advertisement"). Speaking of brand new accounts bringing that one up.... *eyeballs poster*

Plan is Awesome review ( Already went for the classes) + Board basic (just to compare with Awesome review notes) + MKSAP questions.

Awesome review guy recommed choosing wisely website to get those cost conscious medicine questions right if you are bored or got time.

I'm staying away from texts and only doing Qbanks. I think both MKSAP and Uworld are solid. for me reading texts from cover to cover is an impossible and useless thing to do. I just don't seem to be able to focus or retain much. I'm trying to get as much done as possible before starting fellowship because it's gonna be a mess in July

You guys are attendings and freaking out about exams?

Hey everyone, I don't mean to spam or mislead the thread topic in anyway, but I'm selling my used 2015 medstudy video board review of internal medicine in the for sale section of the forums. I already passed and its an incredible resource, would be happy to sell it at a discount.

That is all.

To be honest, you should have planned much better!
This exam should not be taken lightly and you knew when the exam was and how many questions you would have to do and read in order to be ready.

But anyways,
Yes, MKSAP questions are a must as is board basics 3. This are pre-req for the exam. I would start to read BB3 and then do questions in a topic and then read bb3 again for that given section.
Focus on cards and figure out what you are weak on and look at ABIM blueprint to see how HY that section is. Dont spend much time what you know well.

I would buy MKSAP audio and listen in car or whenever you have downtime as you will not have any time to read the main text. This way you will learn during times when you did not think you had time to study.

Let's take a step back here. This is not an impossible exam. Starting in June is not ideal but by no means a death sentence. There are plenty of us who started a busy fellowship after moving across country (I started one of the busiest cards fellowships) and still manage to pass with flying colors. Much of the exam is straight forward. Each question is not graded the same, so the random rheum question that no one gets right is counted LESS than the easy ICU type question about sepsis and antibiotics.

A 60% on the ITE is a solid score and prognostic that you, Tele9999, will pass. Reviewing a few of the minutia you won't have remembered like some of rheum, ophtho, derm and whatever else you are weak on will go a long way. Other than that, focus on questions and annoting the answers. By reading all of the answers in MKSAP questions and taking notes, you will have in effect covered the vast majority of the material in the MKSAP textbooks.

I was hoping somebody could comment on how I am faring, and my chances of passing the boards. During my residency, I never studied towards the boards at all, and focused all my energy into building my CV for fellowship. My in training exam were horrendous, (1st and 2nd year were like 30th percentile, and 3rd year was a dismal 6th percentile.... I know, although I was the first one out, and recalled just wanting to get out of there)

I started UWorld about 6 months ago, and done it on tutor mode, whenever i had time, and took me about 6 months to finish the entire UWorld. In addition, I read all of MKSAP book, including the questions, and BB3, listened to MKSAP audio on random any chance I have time.

I do not know my MKSAP question percentage as I do not keep track of it. But my UWorld percentage correct my first pass was 58%, which according to UWorld was 75th percentile. If I trend my progress, it is clear that my average correct trended close to 65 - 70% near the end of the UWorld questions. I have since resetted my UWorld, and have redone roughly 20% of the questions, and have ~ 70% correct, which according to UWorld is 95th percentile.

This will be my first time taking the exam on August 3rd. Given the information above, could somebody comment on my UWorld assessment. I tried to review previous posters UWorld average, and their results of the ABIM test, but it is difficult. Thanks in advance.

I think you are asking the wrong question
you still have a solid month
you should be asking yourself, where are you weak and focus hard there and not focus on the stuff that you know well
you have studied a good portion and it is hard to tell at this point where you are in a global pass/fail situation as you can only hold so much at a given time
my advice is to quickly figure out where you are in each section and bolster where you can
know cards inside and out as this has been previously well described that this is the heaviest section that is tested.

best of luck!
and kudos to reading MKSAP books, most people cannot get through it

I think you are asking the wrong question
you still have a solid month
you should be asking yourself, where are you weak and focus hard there and not focus on the stuff that you know well
you have studied a good portion and it is hard to tell at this point where you are in a global pass/fail situation as you can only hold so much at a given time
my advice is to quickly figure out where you are in each section and bolster where you can
know cards inside and out as this has been previously well described that this is the heaviest section that is tested.

best of luck!
and kudos to reading MKSAP books, most people cannot get through it

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a month, since I will be starting a very time intensive fellowship. Im just going to keep trucking along, study whenever I have free time, and hope for the best.

I'm staying away from texts and only doing Qbanks. I think both MKSAP and Uworld are solid. for me reading texts from cover to cover is an impossible and useless thing to do. I just don't seem to be able to focus or retain much. I'm trying to get as much done as possible before starting fellowship because it's gonna be a mess in July

I'm also staring a busy fellowship. I've gotten through all of mksap once but hoping to repeat this since I don't believe I absorbed most of the information.

I may use Board Basics as a notebook to annotate as I go through the questions (and answers); does anyone have thoughts on if this is a useful strategy?

Wanted to thank forum and share my experience. I took April 2017 MOC exam.
In a busy practice, not much time, so started gathering material one year prior to exam.
1. Medstudy Video
2. Medstudy 5 books set
3. MKSAP 16 - online version
Being in a busy practice- was not able get a long block of time to study. So last spring took 4 days off and went through 2 subjects superficially - which gave me a reality check.
Until Feb 2015 I was kind of trying to study sproadically with no rhythm. Once I registered for exam, I tried covering MKSAP questions as much possible. Bought a portable DVD player so that I can use the Medstudy DVD set whenever and wherever. With MKSAP online version being downloaded to my laptop, smart phone, IPAD- used to do MKSAP questions seriously ( some regret with online verion during the final days of prep- since I was not able to flip through the pages I wanted to look at ! ). However if I have to buy it again I will definitely go with online version- for it's convenience
Took 3 weeks study leave and covered Medstudy video, books ( books are very good but time consuming- I used it for refreshing my knowledge), MKSAP.
Also bought online flash cards ( knowmedge) for 30 days only

MKSAP 16 has lot of new content and is very useful in preparing for the exam. Don't worry about the score, going through explanations is more important.
I did not attend any seminars since I was short on time. Having a study partner is always a good idea.
Not an easy exam. But worth preparing since it is inspiring !

my 0.02$ on the ABIM. I took it last year. This test sucks. especially if you're a 1st year fellow and you just moved to a new state. you think you're going to study but you never have time because you're also busy trying to figure your way around in your new job. I did MKSAP questions only. I marked the questions that I got wrong and did those again before the test. I only went back to the text if I got a question wrong and when reading through the explanation I felt like I didn't have a freaking clue what they were talking about. My initial plan was to do Uworld but I never had time (or money) to subscribe and do it. a couple of my close friends who did both MKSAP and Uworld said that Uworld was harder and they were depressed every time they did questions. The actual test wasn't easy but it was manageable. Some folks here are too stressed out (like doing MKSAP text+ Qs x2 , Uworld, Medstudy, a gazillion hours video course, some materials that I never knew they existed and then wondering if that's enough!). I understand people are different but dude if you do all of that and you don't pass you've got real problems.

Hey just wondering if you people can give me some advice - I'm writing August 7 and feeling stressed. I did about 50th percentile on most of the in-training exams. Somewhat busy subspecialty but have next 3 weekends off.

My only study tools because I knew I had limited time were MKSAP, Uworld, and BB3.
Didn't get through all the content of MKSAP but did all the q's, made flashcards off the answers and explanations from them and did all my flashcards once - planning to do them once more at least and memorize.
Did Uworld once - did about 52% average which I know is bad. This was 2 months back though. Now I'm about 50% through reviewing the answers and explanations for them. I feel probably low yield to review the next 50%?

My plan is to:
1) Now probably leave uworld after reviewing the last 50% very briefly/skeletally
today
2) Do I need to repeat DOING the q's for MKSAP? Or just read the answers/explainations? Are there actual DIRECT repeats from there? I might pick a few weak sections like heme, cards, and resp.
3) BB3 in the last 1-2 weeks heavily.
4) Memorize, memorize memorize?

Thanks I appreciate it.

I still don't quite understand why everybody feels like they have to sit for this exam immediately after finishing residency. Give yourself a year, especially if you're doing a fellowship. You won't have (or more truthfully, take) the time to study at the end of your 3rd year. And if you're starting fellowship in July, you su re as s**t won't have time to study then.

I don't recommend waiting as long as I did (PGY6) to take it, but why not wait a year?

I still don't quite understand why everybody feels like they have to sit for this exam immediately after finishing residency. Give yourself a year, especially if you're doing a fellowship. You won't have (or more truthfully, take) the time to study at the end of your 3rd year. And if you're starting fellowship in July, you su re as s**t won't have time to study then.

I don't recommend waiting as long as I did (PGY6) to take it, but why not wait a year?

For most fellows who start, they need to just get it out of the way, and focus on their specialty after. For example, I am in Cardiology, and need to start focusing on Cardiology as there are tons more board exams coming up (ECHO boards, Cardiology boards, nuclear boards), and the IM boards are just in the way. In addition, I have to focus on doing research related to my Cardiology. That is why I cannot delay this exam, and cannot fail this exam for the same reason.

This may have been discussed, so sorry for repitition if that was the case;
I did ITE in first and second year but not in third year as I had an emergency on the ITE day.
Whats the correct percentage (not percentile) of questions I should have solved in ITE in first 2 years to be in the very safe zone just to pass the test? Thanks

I passed my ABIM easily with awesome review classes. They are live lectures.