Official ABIM 2015 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From the ACP/ABIM 2015 annual meeting:

Several physicians commented on the relevance of topics tested on the exam and urged a change in focus from rote memorization to critical thinking skills. "None of the answers are 'consult an oncologist' or 'consult a gastroenterologist,'" said one audience member to applause.

Another physician recalled a question from his exam: What is the major cause of pulmonary hypertension worldwide? Answer: Schistosomiasis. "How many cases have you seen of it?" he said.
"I think that's off the exam," Baron conceded.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2nd time taking ABIM. First time around abysmal score....
Weak areas - Onc, IM & miscellaneous, Pulm, Cards

Read, re-read, re-read Med Study books, more time spent on weak areas

Went through MKSAP questions 3 times in each subject
first time around mid 70%
second time upper 70%-mid 80%
third time upper 80% - 90%

Medstudy questions went through once. Most averaged mid 70%

Despite all this, after I left the exam, I was going to vomit. Obsessed over questions I know I missed bc I changed the answer (3-4). And the fear of failing again is haunting me.

I marked about 1/3 of the questions through the first 3 blocks, then the last block >40%. It came down to 2 answers on most, some I just didn't know.

I don't want to be a statistic

Took the test 8 18 -- the last day offered of course. For what it's worth here is how I prepared:
MKSAP in Audio Format -- listened to all but Derm twice.
MSKAP 16 -- some reading but all of the questions -- second time through averaged 80%. Skipped Derm the second pass.
Board Basics for quick check review (ie Target Cells, Brugada Syndrome, etc..) Excellent resource for that, but don't expect
enough material to provide clinical context.
the ACP Flashcards are worth doing once --
And I attended the live ACP board review course in Chicago in June. Six days of lecture -- nearly got pressure sores from that one!

Felt really strong coming out of the test. I was pleased that much of the ICU/Hospital material wasn't there. I've been in practice for
30 years -- taking the test is a bucket list thing -- I've been completely outpatient and overseas for the last 10 years and I really feared
tackling modern inpatient material now just for the test. I suppose they moved that to the Hospitalist Boards. Good place for it.

I am also happy to see eponyms going away. Modern disease descriptions are enough to get in the ball park, but names like Wegner's and
Goodpasture's are still good for impressing medical students. Frankly that's all they ever were good for.

I don't know how much we can say legally about test content. Very little acid base, the one ventilator question was cartoonishly easy, only a
couple of blood smears, really easy ones too. Statistics were really dumbed down and there were only a couple. I was glad to see some large
joint exams, I think they put more general internal medicine on this test than in the past -- totally a guess.

They did not bury me in new drug names -- antivirals, immunological agents, new wave antibiotics. They got me on a derm photo -- maybe
I should have done Derm twice like everything else. Don't know what the heck that was. There was one question I have no idea what the heck
they were talking about. But only one. And they took mercy with the neuro --

Not knowing whether I passed I'm going out on a limb, but I was expecting far worse. I am a big believer in multi-modality learning. Written,
audio, question and answer. Engages very different brain pathways and creates synergies. The live review was worth doing, but that alone would
have fallen way short. The lectures were peppered with 'you will see this on the boards, never in practice' items and dang it, a few of them were on the boards. They pointed out that the big three sections tested would be cardio, pulmonary, and GI -- they were right. The two stat questions were made
very easy from the explanation given at the live review.

The MSKAP Audio was really good, a bit corny at times, but the discussion generated some really useful clinical context and did so much more effectively than reading the text. I had intended to read the MKSAP text, but after doing audio only on cardio and doing really well on the questions I went all in
on the audio. The audio editing was by no means Grammy winning, and a few of the sections were out of order, but the needed material was there.

The MSKAP iPad app is nice. It allows taking the questions, clearing only the wrong answers, then allowing one to take just those. There are links to the relevant text, and on the my iPad Medscape and Google Scholar are a keystroke away.

As far as when to start reviewing -- six months is good. Go through it all -- identify weaknesses, polish them -- then go through it all again. Stop studying a day or two before the exam. As importantly as any facts study how the question writers think. What is important to them. Less big testing, more lifestyle changes, more patient education, but study the crisises -- the act now or die problems.

I'll post whether I passed or not in October. This forum was helpful. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test 8/11...and felt terrible walking out. I am so terrified I failed. Ugh. Praying.

Did anyone take the test 8/7 and experience the computer outage for 3 hours?
If so, did you get the email yesterday???
Thoughts?

General question- I've failed the exam twice before and I noticed that a few weeks after taking the exam I had gotten mail advertising the newest MKSAP. I received the same letter again today- has anyone else gotten these letters/ads? Are these directed to people who have failed?
Hopefully not...

General question- I've failed the exam twice before and I noticed that a few weeks after taking the exam I had gotten mail advertising the newest MKSAP. I received the same letter again today- has anyone else gotten these letters/ads? Are these directed to people who have failed?
Hopefully not...
I passed it first try 5 years ago. I get MKSAP mailings about twice a month.

Hopefully not...

MKSAP mailings are like locusts -- they just keep coming no matter what. I expect they go out to docs long dead. Don't sweat MKSAP -- Good luck with your results.

Unusually quiet here. I am definitely getting the jitters here. 2-3 weeks to go, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I backed out of taking the exam last month because of issues that came up at work, and I was not prepared enough for it. I'm going to take the 2016 for sure.
I haven't read through all the thread yet, but plan on doing so.
I think I've pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of which sources to use for study prep... Going MedStudy all the way.
I have the MedStudy Core Curriculum 15th edition (2013/2014) and their DVD lecture review from 2012.
I also have MKSAP 16, Prep for Boards, and Board Basics as more of backup stuff.
I'm going to invest in the MedStudy flashcards - no question about that.

Do you all think I need to update either the MedStudy Core Curriculum (the book set) and/or the DVD set?
Getting both would cost just over $2000, and I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. I'm wondering, realistically, just how outdated it can possibly be?

Your input would be really appreciated.

Results out October 5 if the pattern follows the last 4 years!!

I have started gathering materials for ABIM 2016. I have reviewed the prior threads and it looks like 70% is about enough to pass with MKSAP questions some a bit higher or lower and I plan to do MKSAP 17.

What kind of scores are needed to pass with Medstudy question bank? Same 70% or do they seem to be a bit easier? I have looked through one the older Medstudy QA books (2010) and the Medstudy questions seem to have different focus area of content than MKSAP and they did not seem to be written as well as MKSAP in the one section I reviewed, but they did have decent explanations which could be helpful for board prep. Also, does anyone know if the same questions are in the books as the online Medstudy Qbank and are there any differences between the online and book versions beside the electronic format?

Does anyone know if scores are released at midnight or at some fixed time in the morning? I don't remember what they've done in years past.

Does anyone know if scores are released at midnight or at some fixed time in the morning? I don't remember what they've done in years past.

It looks like scores may come out as soon as tomorrow morning, but could be later in the week. The last three years they were:
2012: 934 am eastern on 10/4/12 (Thursday)
2013: Middle of night on 10/7 /13 (Monday)
2014: Sometime on 10/6/14 (Monday)
2015 prediction based on nothing but patterns of last couple of years--> sometime prior to 10am Eastern time tomorrow morning on 10/5/15.

However, I would not be surprised if there are delays this year since they might need to "adjust" their scoring methodology to deal with bad press and angry docs.

Good luck to everyone getting their results if they show up tonight/tomorrow.

I wonder if they are working on them now. People previously listed as certified are now "not found." This is on the verify certification section on the ABIM website.

i don't understand why they can't standardize release of scores. At x time on x date every year.

i thought maybe today because ABIM had a voicemail this AM during normal hours - but - oh well...

OK, I give up checking for a while. I think I'll just wait on the email...

Gosh sometimes I hate SDN.. due to this thread I've been expecting to have received my results by now, thus I got very little sleep last night and have been way too anxious this AM. AHHH

Delays may be a good thing at this point. Hopefully, they are curving the pass levels to make sure there is a lower failure rate this time around.

Did everyone get them at the same time? Yeah I don't care when they are released - it's more like just let people know exactly when it will be released. They must know that info.

Been checking every hour or so -- having a panic attack every time I check. Hope this isn't too much longer.

You know the heads of ABIM are sitting in their New York City penthouse smoking cigars laughing at this thread

In sure they are at the ritz on a tropical island somewhere

Last edited:
Results not yet available

I called - such poker faces! They said that IT is in charge of releasing and they are not sure when.

Only sports med is released - when did they write their exams? Same time? Maybe it's one specialty a day. Yeah whatever, they totally know.

Only sports med is released - when did they write their exams? Same time? Maybe it's one specialty a day. Yeah whatever, they totally know.

They did their's in July, I think they have been released for awhile (well at least before today)

I literally spent all day checking! I had a system - check my email, check this forum, and input the name of someone who I knew would pass for sure in the "verify physician" - I think its safe to say I wasted my whole day...

It looks like it has been released on mondays in the past - hopefully we don't have to wait until next week, and they release it tomorrow!

..and I called too. She ominously said "...sometime before Nov 18 " ...

I had the same system Rheumshoes! What a waste of a day!

I'm not sure why you all are so uptight about this. The die is cast. You either passed (hopefully) or you didn't. Obsessively refreshing your ABIM page will not change that. Nor are you likely to be (un)employed next month as a result of the exam. Go have a drink. The results will come when they do.

I'm not sure why you all are so uptight about this. The die is cast. You either passed (hopefully) or you didn't. Obsessively refreshing your ABIM page will not change that. Nor are you likely to be (un)employed next month as a result of the exam. Go have a drink. The results will come when they do.

What a novel idea! I had no clue, that at this point the die have been cast and there are only one of two outcomes. Had I known this earlier in my career, I would have never been anxious about getting test results back!

Said no one, ever.

If only everyone went through life as cool and collected as gutonc, zenmaster

Reactions: 1 user