*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I was wondering if I can get some pointers on how I should report my ECs.
I have done a bunch of different things but they fall under similar categories. Should I list them all and not really explain them or should I just list a few and explain them in more detail.

- Community service / volunteer (not medical / clinical)
PASS 1 year

- Community service / volunteer (medical / clinical)
Volunteer abroad 1 month
Volunteer at a hospital (just started)

- Research / lab
1.5 years clinical research lab
1 year neuroimmunology lab (got my MS in this lab) - submitting a paper for publication soon

- Teaching / tutoring
Tutored Ochem for for an academic support facility for about 2.5 years (paid)
TAed various upper division biology courses for 2 years (paid)
Taught foreign exchange students english (paid)

- Honors / awards / recognitions
Provost honors for 5 quarters

- Publications
None yet. Hopefully I can get one or two.

- Extracurricular / hobbies / avocations
Golf, Snowboarding, Basketball, app development

- Intercollegiate athletics
IM basketball

- Other
Shadowing doctor 2.5 years >100hrs (wrote manuscript but does not seem like its going to get published)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I was wondering if I can get some pointers on how I should report my ECs.
I have done a bunch of different things but they fall under similar categories. Should I list them all and not really explain them or should I just list a few and explain them in more detail.

PASS 1 year

Volunteer abroad 1 month
Volunteer at a hospital (just started)

- Research / lab
1.5 years clinical research lab
1 year neuroimmunology lab (got my MS in this lab) - submitting a paper for publication soon

- Teaching / tutoring
Tutored Ochem for for an academic support facility for about 2.5 years (paid)
TAed various upper division biology courses for 2 years (paid)
Taught foreign exchange students english (paid)

Provost honors for 5 quarters

- Publications
None yet. Hopefully I can get one or two.

Golf, Snowboarding, Basketball, app development

- Intercollegiate athletics
IM basketball

- Other
Shadowing doctor 2.5 years >100hrs (wrote manuscript but does not seem like its going to get published)
You have enough spaces to list them separately and explain in more detail. The honor you have mentioned is pretty useless, so feel free to omit, as your transcript details your grades far better.

IM basketball doesn't usually involve teams from different colleges, which is what Intercollegiate Athletics generally means.

Writing one unaccepted manuscript isn't worth listing. But if you like to write, have shared your work publicly, and have done it for years, you might consider using Artistic Endeavors as a designation.

You have enough spaces to list them separately and explain in more detail. The honor you have mentioned is pretty useless, so feel free to omit, as your transcript details your grades far better.

IM basketball doesn't usually involve teams from different colleges, which is what Intercollegiate Athletics generally means.

Writing one unaccepted manuscript isn't worth listing. But if you like to write, have shared your work publicly, and have done it for years, you might consider using Artistic Endeavors as a designation.

Thanks Cat!

Ill make those changes.
I was still a little confused about listing the ECs. Should I have one space for Tutoring Ochem, and another for TA? or list them both in one box under TA/Tutor?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was still a little confused about listing the ECs. Should I have one space for Tutoring Ochem, and another for TA? or list them both in one box under TA/Tutor?
You can use the Teaching designation more than once. While it's possible to condense TA and Tutor gigs together when one's spaces are running out, they are often very different experiences, with different date spans, contact information, and institutions. Since both lasted for a substantial period of time, I think they deserve their own spaces.

You can use the Teaching designation more than once. While it's possible to condense TA and Tutor gigs together when one's spaces are running out, they are often very different experiences, with different date spans, contact information, and institutions. Since both lasted for a substantial period of time, I think they deserve their own spaces.

I see makes much more sense!
Thanks Cat!

Having trouble trying to sort this all out!

- Research / lab
2 years neuropath research lab
1 year in Public Health research (plus currently working in an Epi lab and have since December 2012)

- Teaching / tutoring
One on one math tutoring in college (unpaid)
TA for high school biology and earth science for fall semester 2012 (rewrote curriculum for earth science)

2009 Excellence in programming award for a fundraiser I put together
2010 Loving Service Award from the Native Health Initiative

- Publications
One co-author, three acknowledgements, two posters (first author on one, co-author on another)

Musician- played all over the country from 2003-now, including SXSW festival in 2008, and had one international record release

- Leadership
AMSA Premed Chapter
Membership coordinator for 2008-2009, Chapter director 2009-2010, Committee chair 2010-2012
AMSA National
REACH Grassroots coordinator 2010-2011, Heath Equity Week of Action Steering Committee Chair 2012, Cultural Sensitivity Scholars Program sub-coordinator 2012-2013, Cultural Sensitivity Coordinator 2013-2014

multiple trips throughout two academic years to homeless shelters (to serve food) and habitat for humanity through my AMSA premed chapter

one semester in an Emergency Dept
various projects as a coordinator with the Native Health Initiative over 1.5 years

- Shadowing
primary care (internal and family med), dermatology, ENT, cardio, emergency

- Work
1 summer Caretaker for developmentally disabled
1 year Front office in a primary care clinic
4 years Flower shop deliver during undergrad (on top of those research jobs)

I also worked a variety of jobs from construction worker to loan officer while just playing music

:help:

Right now, it sounds like nonmedical community service, as there is no patient interaction yet.

I can't say yes or no, but I do hope you get into one of those sites. Are you a Texas resident? Not saying you have a better chance if you are, but if you are from Texas, there is a slightly higher chance of you getting in, not to get your hopes up or anything. I don't think attending a CC should affect you, since we can't all go straight to university.

Sent from my LG-P509 using SDN Mobile

Short question:

For research / lab experience am I supposed to tell them what I found, or just what I do and the basic gist of the research project?

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.