*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a question regarding conferences.

Lately I've been getting involved with student government even though I don't (yet) hold a position. Just a few weeks ago, I went to a state-wide conference for the University of California's Student Association. While there I did an impromptu presentation in front of everyone about a campaign.
1) I plan on maybe becoming an intern for my student government (and therefore would make a slot for that and include it there), but if I don't, is this appropriate for the conference title?
2) I plan on going to a similar conference again in a few months, but I can't mention this until it happens correct?

Members don't see this ad.

1) I have a question--I have (other than this experience) about 48 hours of shadowing. I was thinking of getting more before interviews, but I live in Switzerland right now, so it would have to be here. Is that worth much, or not really because it's in another country?

2) By the way, I love the cat picture. It makes me smile every time. :)
1) It sounds like you have plenty of shadowing, especially if some is a primary care doc. International shadowing isn't worthless. It's just that it needs to be balanced with US experience.

I'd rather see you get in more active clinical experience, and nonmedical community service, personally, if you want more value for time spent.

2) She thanks you for the kind words. Her other pix are viewable in the profile page albumn.

Lately I've been getting involved with student government even though I don't (yet) hold a position. Just a few weeks ago, I went to a state-wide conference for the University of California's Student Association. While there I did an impromptu presentation in front of everyone about a campaign.
1) I plan on maybe becoming an intern for my student government (and therefore would make a slot for that and include it there), but if I don't, is this appropriate for the conference title?
2) I plan on going to a similar conference again in a few months, but I can't mention this until it happens correct?
1) I'd put it under Teaching and mention the conference in that context, to give the activity more weight.

2) Correct. And don't grieve over it, as attending a conference without presenting or organizing it does little to strengthen your application anyway.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone!:)

I'm a new member and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. If this isn't the right thread, please let me know (or move my post, if possible).

My question is can I classify working as a radiology receptionist for a year as clinical experience? My duties included registering patients for appointments, scheduling patients for appointments over the phone and in person, and explaining the pre-exam preparation procedures to the patients. I searched the forum but the results I found left me unsure of the answer.

Does clinical experience mean that you need to touch the patient while performing a task (e.g. taking blood pressure) or just directly interact with the patient in a clinical setting? I am not applying in this cycle but I am trying to determine what kind of activities I need to complete for the 2013 cycle.

My question is can I classify working as a radiology receptionist for a year as clinical experience? My duties included registering patients for appointments, scheduling patients for appointments over the phone and in person, and explaining the pre-exam preparation procedures to the patients. I searched the forum but the results I found left me unsure of the answer.

Does clinical experience mean that you need to touch the patient while performing a task (e.g. taking blood pressure) or just directly interact with the patient in a clinical setting? I am not applying in this cycle but I am trying to determine what kind of activities I need to complete for the 2013 cycle.
As your paid radiology reception job requires interaction with patients, it is clear that you are gaining clinical experience, even though there is no physical "touching." However, the category under which you will enter this activity with AMCAS will be Employment-nonMilitary. You will make it clear that the activity is clinical with the name you give the activity and via the description of your duties. The only designation that specifies Clinical or Not Clinical, is Community Service/Volunteer.

Since your clinical experience is paid, you have the option to demonstrate your altruism through a nonmedical activity.

For further ideas of appropriate ECs, you might read through some of the What Are My Chances? threads.

As your paid radiology reception job requires interaction with patients, it is clear that you are gaining clinical experience, even though there is no physical "touching." However, the category under which you will enter this activity with AMCAS will be Employment-nonMilitary. You will make it clear that the activity is clinical with the name you give the activity and via the description of your duties. The only designation that specifies Clinical or Not Clinical, is Community Service/Volunteer.

Since your clinical experience is paid, you have the option to demonstrate your altruism through a nonmedical activity.

For further ideas of appropriate ECs, you might read through some of the What Are My Chances? threads.

Catalystik, thanks so much for answering my post! I will definitely look at the What Are My Chances threads for EC ideas.

I have an experience that involved:
1) Observing different lab technicians/researchers' work in the development of a new drug (e.g. one day observing synthesis of the drug; one day looking at cell cultures; etc.)
2) Sitting in on a couple of meeting during which the development of the drug was discussed
3) Read journals articles/publications above the drug
4) No hands-on work
5) Total of 15 hours

Should this be categorized as "Research"?

I have an experience that involved:
1) Observing different lab technicians/researchers' work in the development of a new drug (e.g. one day observing synthesis of the drug; one day looking at cell cultures; etc.)
2) Sitting in on a couple of meeting during which the development of the drug was discussed
3) Read journals articles/publications above the drug
4) No hands-on work
5) Total of 15 hours

Should this be categorized as "Research"?
This activity would not be considered a "Research" experience. It sounds to me like you're describing a shadowing experience (of pharmaceutical researchers), which would better be included with your physician shadowing under "Other", or listed on its own, if you feel the impact of those 15 hours was so significant that you have lots to say about it. You could also consider not mentioning it at all.

Hey, everyone! I have a few questions about how to categorize my activities in music. I'll list the activities that I have participated in most recently, and I don't know what they would each classify as, or if I should just put it all under one "Music" slot and just describe the various things I have done in that one slot.

1.) I've been playing violin for 11 years, and piano for 6.
2.) 100+ hours volunteering at hospital. I played the violin in pediatrics and various other places, including the hospital's lobby and individual patient rooms.
3.) I was principal violinist (concert master) of a youth orchestra up until the end of my sophomore year.
4.) I led a string quartet (principal violinist and in charge of setting up performances and whatnot). We performed at weddings, churches, schools, etc. We also performed at several banquets and fundraisers.
5.) I taught violin (employed) at a music store for 1 year, and have been giving private lessons on violin for 3-4 years.

Basically, the questions that I am asking are: How do I separate these? Do I use an individual EC slot for each? Which of them can I group together? Which categories should I use for them? Should I leave something out because there is a lot of music stuff?

I'll appreciate any advice you all can give me. :)

Hey, everyone! I have a few questions about how to categorize my activities in music. I'll list the activities that I have participated in most recently, and I don't know what they would each classify as, or if I should just put it all under one "Music" slot and just describe the various things I have done in that one slot.

1.) I've been playing violin for 11 years, and piano for 6.
2.) 100+ hours volunteering at hospital. I played the violin in pediatrics and various other places, including the hospital's lobby and individual patient rooms.
3.) I was principal violinist (concert master) of a youth orchestra up until the end of my sophomore year.
4.) I led a string quartet (principal violinist and in charge of setting up performances and whatnot). We performed at weddings, churches, schools, etc. We also performed at several banquets and fundraisers.
5.) I taught violin (employed) at a music store for 1 year, and have been giving private lessons on violin for 3-4 years.

Basically, the questions that I am asking are: How do I separate these? Do I use an individual EC slot for each? Which of them can I group together? Which categories should I use for them? Should I leave something out because there is a lot of music stuff?

I'll appreciate any advice you all can give me. :)
Your choices may be made based on how many slots you have available.

One approach:
1) and 3) be grouped together under "Artistic Endeavors" assuming you gave some piano performances during the college years.

2) belongs under Community Service/Volunteer-not Medical/Clinical (or you could add it the the Artistic Endeavor category above, if you're short on space.

4) would be good under Leadership.

5) is perfect for the Teaching category.

If, OTOH, you need to severly condense due to many other activities, you could put it all under Artistic Endeavors, name it something like "Music-Related Performance, Leadership, Community Service, and Teaching" and designate it "Most Meaningful" to get more space. Alternatively, the teaching could be still listed on its own.

There is not One Right Way to do this. Some choices may be driven by whether you already have something in that category, or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im struggling for leadership related positions here..

Ok how would you recommend categorizing this? Last summer, I came across an opportunity to be a landlord (for free rent) of these off campus apartments. I jumped on it, but turns out my first six residents were freshmen. I have done everything for these kids from registering them for classes to waking them up each morning just out of kindness.. (Seriously, I knock on their doors to wake them up on my way out). I even walked them around campus to show them where there classes are. Really I consider this leadership..or at least volunteering of some sort as it really does take a lot of my time, but I can definitely see how it would seem as rubbish if you weren't in my shoes.

Also, I was once head of a library renovation project, but it was in high school. I had to keep track of the bookkeeping, what to keep/donate in a lot of cases, and had to set up schedules for when and who would come in. I ended up getting around 100 hours volunteering experience for this but I didn't know if that would really count as "leadership" either since I was a senior. Definitely volunteering at the least though.

Struggling to get leadership ideas here guys..(and gals)...any ideas??

Ok how would you recommend categorizing this? Last summer, I came across an opportunity to be a landlord (for free rent) of these off campus apartments. I jumped on it, but turns out my first six residents were freshmen. I have done everything for these kids from registering them for classes to waking them up each morning just out of kindness.. (Seriously, I knock on their doors to wake them up on my way out). I even walked them around campus to show them where there classes are. Really I consider this leadership..or at least volunteering of some sort as it really does take a lot of my time, but I can definitely see how it would seem as rubbish if you weren't in my shoes.

Also, I was once head of a library renovation project, but it was in high school. I had to keep track of the bookkeeping, what to keep/donate in a lot of cases, and had to set up schedules for when and who would come in. I ended up getting around 100 hours volunteering experience for this but I didn't know if that would really count as "leadership" either since I was a senior. Definitely volunteering at the least though.

Scratch the high school stuff.

The landlord thing sounds like an RA for off campus housing. I think being an RA counts as leadership experience.

Scratch the high school stuff.

The landlord thing sounds like an RA for off campus housing. I think being an RA counts as leadership experience.

Ok! So as for high school volunteering, should I not even list it..? I suppose I can just put RA, I mean I don't work for my school I work for a private owner. But I definitely have RA-like duties. So I guess that would be ok to say.

Ok! So as for high school volunteering, should I not even list it..? I suppose I can just put RA, I mean I don't work for my school I work for a private owner. But I definitely have RA-like duties. So I guess that would be ok to say.
I would not list the HS volunteering, uless it's something you continued into the college years.

I'd suggest that what you did while working as an agent for the property manager/owner sounds like Mentoring, which is generally listed in the Teaching category on AMCAS. You can make the volunteer aspect clear in the description. This would be separate from the Employment space, where you'd list the actual job and its duties (even though the reimbusement was not via a salary).

I play guitar, but strictly as a hobby. I occasionally play open mic nights at a local cafe. I also teach my sons and stepson how to play as well. However, I have no contact person to list with this activity. How does one go about entering a hobby without a contact?

I have interviewed for a volunteer position at a local hospital, but it is pending reference and background checks. I have an Oct 15 deadline for some of my schools and I won't have an answer as to when I will begin volunteering by that time. I would really like to be able to list this in the work/activities section, but there seems to be a general consensus on the site that listing anything in the future is not a good idea. Thoughts?

I play guitar, but strictly as a hobby. I occasionally play open mic nights at a local cafe. I also teach my sons and stepson how to play as well. However, I have no contact person to list with this activity. How does one go about entering a hobby without a contact?
If you play for an audience, this is more than a Hobby. It is an Artistic Endeavor.

You could list the manager of the local cafe who schedules you, a friend you play with, an old teacher, a school advisor aware of the activity, or as a last resort, yourself.

I have interviewed for a volunteer position at a local hospital, but it is pending reference and background checks. I have an Oct 15 deadline for some of my schools and I won't have an answer as to when I will begin volunteering by that time. I would really like to be able to list this in the work/activities section, but there seems to be a general consensus on the site that listing anything in the future is not a good idea. Thoughts?
One way to sneak it in, is to mention it (as a future activity) at the end of a description of some other clinical experience you've had, or toward the end of the Personal Statement. The danger in doing this: what if the gig falls through? It wouldn't reflect well. You might consider instead saving it for a future update letter or a Secondary essay so you don't have to back pedal.

Catalystik,

Thanks very much for your responses. I listed my friend whom I jam with as a "collaborator" under music in the artistic endeavors section. I took your advice and decided to save the hospital volunteering for my secondaries. I interview at the hospital tomorrow.

Thanks again.

I am a 26 year old with a wife and two kids. I've worked as an ED tech throughout my premed process. I know the adcoms want to see you are able to juggle a heavy workload and with a 3.94 cGPA I believe I have demonstrated this. Where is the best place on the application to highlight the challenges of having a family and maintaining your coursework? Other section? I attempted to do it in my personal statement but was missing a great story that pushed me into a desire to pursue medicine, so I scratched the husband and father explanation there. Any parents out there that can help me?

Last edited:
I am a 26 year old with a wife and two kids. I've worked as an ED tech throughout my premed process. I know the adcoms want to see you are able to juggle a heavy workload and with a 3.94 cGPA I believe I have demonstrated this. Where is the best place on the application to highlight the challenges of having a family and maintaining your coursework? Other section? I attempted to do it in my personal statement but was missing a great story that pushed me into a desire to pursue medicine, so I scratched the husband and father explanation there. Any parents out there that can help me?
Whether to mention family in a med school application has been discussed repeatedly over the years. The PS might not be the best place to do it. Other options are the activities list or a suitable Secondary essay about challenges, stress, etc. There are pros and cons to metnioning it at all, as you can see from reviewing these threads on the topic: Parenting as an EC:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=749784
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=530554
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=398775
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=283710

I am looking for some activities to get involved in this year and next year during my gap year. What are my weaknesses? So far my activities look something like this:

150+ clinical volunteering (100 + @ hospital, 40 @ nursing home)

25-30 hours shadowing, most of that with one person who i consider my mentor (vascular surgeon.) I will definitely be doing more shadowing this year.

i was a writing tutor for one semester

participant and then teacher/group facilitator for a course at my church designed to teach ppl how to live a biblically faithful lifestyle (thats kinda vague so i can elaborate if needed) I also traveled to india to train pastors to teach the course, which was a one-time event so far but it was very significant for me nonetheless...

I do research in the lab of a renowned neurologist doing research on neurodegenerative diseases, and i am doing an individual project. however, i have no publications.

I also work about 20 hours a week to put myself through school.

thats pretty much it... I want to find something to separate myself more. any thoughts?

I am looking for some activities to get involved in this year and next year during my gap year. What are my weaknesses? So far my activities look something like this:

150+ clinical volunteering (100 + @ hospital, 40 @ nursing home)

25-30 hours shadowing, most of that with one person who i consider my mentor (vascular surgeon.) I will definitely be doing more shadowing this year.

i was a writing tutor for one semester

participant and then teacher/group facilitator for a course at my church designed to teach ppl how to live a biblically faithful lifestyle (thats kinda vague so i can elaborate if needed) I also traveled to india to train pastors to teach the course, which was a one-time event so far but it was very significant for me nonetheless...

I do research in the lab of a renowned neurologist doing research on neurodegenerative diseases, and i am doing an individual project. however, i have no publications.

I also work about 20 hours a week to put myself through school.

thats pretty much it... I want to find something to separate myself more. any thoughts?
EC critique falls outside the scope of this thread, which deals more with how to enter one's activities into the AMCAS Experiences section. The "What are my Chances" subforum would be a better place to post the above (including more timeframes and hours of participation) if you want commentary on potential improvements from the Chancers, or you could BUMP up the thread you started last week on the subject.

EC critique falls outside the scope of this thread, which deals more with how to enter one's activities into the AMCAS Experiences section. The "What are my Chances" subforum would be a better place to post the above (including more timeframes and hours of participation) if you want commentary on potential improvements from the Chancers, or you could BUMP up the thread you started last week on the subject.

Oh ok sorry, I should have read a little closer lol thanks anyway.

I'm asking this ahead of the next cycle to try to beat the rush.

I'm the business accounts manager for 3 of my families corporations.
I sit on the board of directors as a treasurer for two of them, and own 50% of the shares for the third.

I'm wondering how I should enter this and wish to know the ettiquite of some things.
1. Is it poor taste to mention the size of the company via our revenues---something such as multimillion?
2. I manage business accounts for our clients that excees 200-250k revenue per week per store for about ~620k total a week--is this wrong to mention? This high amount is related to my performance with our clients. There are a few other noteworthy things I've done such as renegotiate contracts and get new ones that I'd be interested in listing.

So I'm thinking I'll list my job--then my official titles?

-------------
"Business Accounts Manager"
Serve as Treasurer for three multimillion dollar corporations: Corporation 1, Corporation 2, and Corporation 3. Currently partnership in ownership for Corporation 3.

Business Responsibilities Include:
1. XXXXX
2. XXXXX
3. XXXXX

Notable Business Achievements:
1. XXXXX - Successfully negotiated contract with X Bank bringing in 36k revenue per year.
2. XXXXX - Successfully renegotiated contract with X company saving 20k per year.
3. XXXXX - Successfully negotiated contracts with 4 companies bringing in sales exceeding 100k per month.
-----------------

Think this would be bad?

Last edited:
if i worked in a hospital for 4 hours a week for a year but stopped for a few months in between, should i still list it as Jan 2011- Jan 2012 for 4 hours/ a week? Technically, I wouldn't be lying right? and I don't think there's a way to put exactly which months I did it in unless I listed it as another activity.

I'm asking this ahead of the next cycle to try to beat the rush.

I'm the business accounts manager for 3 of my families corporations.
I sit on the board of directors as a treasurer for two of them, and own 50% of the shares for the third.

I'm wondering how I should enter this and wish to know the ettiquite of some things.
1. Is it poor taste to mention the size of the company via our revenues---something such as multimillion?
2. I manage business accounts for our clients that excees 200-250k revenue per week per store for about ~620k total a week--is this wrong to mention? This high amount is related to my performance with our clients. There are a few other noteworthy things I've done such as renegotiate contracts and get new ones that I'd be interested in listing.

So I'm thinking I'll list my job--then my official titles?

-------------
"Business Accounts Manager"
Serve as Treasurer for three multimillion dollar corporations: Corporation 1, Corporation 2, and Corporation 3. Currently partnership in ownership for Corporation 3.

Business Responsibilities Include:
1. XXXXX
2. XXXXX
3. XXXXX

Notable Business Achievements:
1. XXXXX - Successfully negotiated contract with X Bank bringing in 36k revenue per year.
2. XXXXX - Successfully renegotiated contract with X company saving 20k per year.
3. XXXXX - Successfully negotiated contracts with 4 companies bringing in sales exceeding 100k per month.
-----------------

Think this would be bad?
I don't have enough background/context to give you the best answer, but my knee-jerk answer is that you should not mention numbers or the wealth of your family. Be careful not to give the impression that going to med school would be a giant step downward. The notable achievements you choose to mention should reveal a trait that translates into a desirable characteristic in a physician, not just a glory moment that would better serve another profession. A premed advisor who knows the entire story and who could review your written entry might be a better resource for you.

if i worked in a hospital for 4 hours a week for a year but stopped for a few months in between, should i still list it as Jan 2011- Jan 2012 for 4 hours/ a week? Technically, I wouldn't be lying right? and I don't think there's a way to put exactly which months I did it in unless I listed it as another activity.
Most commonly done: Instead of saying you worked 4 hours per week, add the total hours worked and divide by the actual weeks worked to get a more accurate figure. Perhaps this would be 3 hours per week.

Alternatively, if you took the summer off, you could name the activity "Academic Year Job as a Lab Tech (or somesuch)". Then you can still list 4 hours per week.

Alternatively, you could list the job in two spaces, with two date spans.

Alternatively, you could list the most recent date span only, but then in the narrative state that you held the same job from X date to Y date.

Be accurate. Sometimes these facts are checked.

Most commonly done: Instead of saying you worked 4 hours per week, add the total hours worked and divide by the actual weeks worked to get a more accurate figure. Perhaps this would be 3 hours per week.

Alternatively, if you took the summer off, you could name the activity "Academic Year Job as a Lab Tech (or somesuch)". Then you can still list 4 hours per week.

Alternatively, you could list the job in two spaces, with two date spans.

Alternatively, you could list the most recent date span only, but then in the narrative state that you held the same job from X date to Y date.

Be accurate. Sometimes these facts are checked.

I'm still having some trouble approaching this issue on my work/activities. Pretty much ALL my activities are broken up by at least one large gap due to studying abroad. Additionally, I did some traveling here and there for months at a time, which required a number of temporary hiatuses in my activities. And finally, I worked varied hours/week at different intervals of each activity. Most of these gaps are long enough that they would significantly dilute the hours/week if I average. Will it look silly to list it as follows, for instance:

March 2010 - April 2011: 16 Hours/Week
August 2011 - December 2011: 32 Hours/Week
May 2012 - Present: 40 Hours/Week

Or something like that? Clarity is ideal, but is this really my best option?

I'm still having some trouble approaching this issue on my work/activities. Pretty much ALL my activities are broken up by at least one large gap due to studying abroad. Additionally, I did some traveling here and there for months at a time, which required a number of temporary hiatuses in my activities. And finally, I worked varied hours/week at different intervals of each activity. Most of these gaps are long enough that they would significantly dilute the hours/week if I average. Will it look silly to list it as follows, for instance:

March 2010 - April 2011: 16 Hours/Week
August 2011 - December 2011: 32 Hours/Week
May 2012 - Present: 40 Hours/Week

Or something like that? Clarity is ideal, but is this really my best option?
This represents another viable option, as one is not obliged to fill in the hours per week in the header. To assist a reader's understanding, one might title the activity with the word "Intermittent" in there somewhere. The same technique is used when one has multiple short-term jobs during college, or when listing multiple shadowing experiences, so as to free up spaces for better use.

I don't have enough background/context to give you the best answer, but my knee-jerk answer is that you should not mention numbers or the wealth of your family. Be careful not to give the impression that going to med school would be a giant step downward. The notable achievements you choose to mention should reveal a trait that translates into a desirable characteristic in a physician, not just a glory moment that would better serve another profession. A premed advisor who knows the entire story and who could review your written entry might be a better resource for you.

Makes sense. Will work on how I wish to enter this.

Thank You
LaughingMan

Last edited:
Quick question!

I am presenting my research at a regional undergraduate conference that just so happens to be held at my university this year. It is not normally at my university (it cycles around to all of the universities in the area), as it is a state/region-wide conference. Will this still be looked at like a campus presentation, or will it be clear that this is a bigger deal than just something my school put on? In fact, in my subject, I am the only one from my school presenting (there are 10-15 others from different schools presenting in this subject).

I also will have a poster at an upcoming national conference on the same/similar research. I will not be attending the conference that the poster will be at, as my school doesn't have funding for that. Is this still a good thing to put down?

And, should these two things be listed in the same slot? They are on the same research, but different venues and formats.

Thanks Cat!!

1) I am presenting my research at a regional undergraduate conference that just so happens to be held at my university this year. It is not normally at my university (it cycles around to all of the universities in the area), as it is a state/region-wide conference. Will this still be looked at like a campus presentation, or will it be clear that this is a bigger deal than just something my school put on? In fact, in my subject, I am the only one from my school presenting (there are 10-15 others from different schools presenting in this subject).

2) I also will have a poster at an upcoming national conference on the same/similar research. I will not be attending the conference that the poster will be at, as my school doesn't have funding for that. Is this still a good thing to put down?

3) And, should these two things be listed in the same slot? They are on the same research, but different venues and formats.

Thanks Cat!!
1) Yes, this is a bigger deal than a single-campus Research Day presentation. If the title of the conference doesn't make the regional aspect apparent, be sure to describe the multi-campus invovlvemnt in the description.

2) If you are an author on the poster, then it's fine to list it, as it doesn't matter if you are not physically at the conference explaining it, but you should give credit to the actual presenter in your description.

3) When the same research is presented at two different venues, it isn't necessary to use two spaces. Rather, pick the most prestigious manner in which your data was shared with the world, in this case, the national conference. In the same space, in the description, mention that you also presented (via podium or poster) on (date) at (conference name and location).

That was a quick question? :)

1) Yes, this is a bigger deal than a single-campus Research Day presentation. If the title of the conference doesn't make the regional aspect apparent, be sure to describe the multi-campus invovlvemnt in the description.

2) If you are an author on the poster, then it's fine to list it, as it doesn't matter if you are not physically at the conference explaining it, but you should give credit to the actual presenter in your description.

3) When the same research is presented at two different venues, it isn't necessary to use two spaces. Rather, pick the most prestigious manner in which your data was shared with the world, in this case, the national conference. In the same space, in the description, mention that you also presented (via podium or poster) on (date) at (conference name and location).

That was a quick question? :)

Thanks so much! When I first started typing, I thought it was going to be shorter than it ended up being... :oops: Thanks for helping in spite of my accidental white lie regarding the quickness!

Hey everyone quick question,
Below i have posted what i have been working on gathering my work / activities section.
I just needed to know where to place a few of these things.

1. what is in red, the tutoring. Do i put that in its own section as such, or place it under non military employment?

2. The part in purple is mentioned twice, under research and also under paid non-military, do i list it twice as such on the AMCAS? if not which section is it in. Because it was research for units, and also paid research due to a minority research program i was a part of

3. Where should i put the section in green. It was a club i was actively a part of, but not really an activity outside of school? is there a section on the ACMCAS for school organizations you were involved in?

4. Lastly, this is a quick sum of my work / activities, but is there anything significantly lacking that i could get to work on over the nest few months before submitting in June 2013.

Thanks SDN Family! any help is appreciated.

Community Service- Clinical:
10 Months / 170 hrs. Clinical Care Extender Volunteer Internship, Riverside Community Hospital.

Community Service Not Clinical:
4 Years / ~400 hrs: Volunteer with high school after school soccer programs, practice, and study hall. 2008-2013

Shadowing
1 Year / 100 hrs: Dr. Derek Nyguen M.D. private practice setting, and free community health outreaches 2011-2013.

Extracurricular Activities:
Running Clycling / Soccer / Tennis @ other recreational sports
Backpacking in the High Sierras
1 Year: Union Salvadorenos de Estudiantes Unidos, Organization member. Volunteer with local events. Published article on a Central American News Website on cervical cancer in El Salvador.

Awards and Honors:
Dean Loda Mae Davis Scholarship Recipient
8 quarters Deans Honors List
2 years Chancellors Honors List
Golden-Key Honors Society
Dollars for Scholars Private Scholarship Recipient

Research:
2 Years 12-16 hrs/ week: Cell & Molecular Developmental Biology Stem Cell Research 2010-2012: Quantifying effects of Tobacco products on various motility properties of mouse neural, mouse embryonic, and human embryonic stem cells using CL Quant bioinformatics software. (Symposium Poster Presentation).

Paid Employment- Non-Military:
3 Years Part Time 18 hrs/week: Buss boy at Applebee's
10 months Part Time 15 hrs/ Week: Buss boy / night cleaner at Flo's Farmhouse Café
2 Years 12-16 hrs/week: University Research (aforementioned)
8 Months Full Time 40 hrs/week: Operating Room assistant at Parkview community hospital.

Leadership:
1 Year: Inland Empire Skin Cancer Prevention and Awareness Organization Project: A local community awareness project I founded after seeing a vast numbers of easily preventable cases (as the Dr put it) of skin cancer occurring among patients. I spoke and presented at various high schools, clinics, recreations across the inland empire valley, spoke with hundreds of students, formed and maintained an active face book page with easily accessible and beneficial information.
2 Years: President of The Well Christian Club @ UCR: 50 members, 20 active members.
2 Years: Harvest Christian Fellowship College Ministry leader, oversee a group of six guys that I meet with on a regular basis for bible study, encouragement and fellowship.

Teaching/Tutoring:
2 Years: On and off, Selected tutor among college graduates and high school teachers for The CA Tutoring Solution. Tutor AP high school students in home various subjects. (Paid employment through The CA Tutoring Solution
)

1. what is in red, the tutoring. Do i put that in its own section as such, or place it under non military employment?

2. The part in purple is mentioned twice, under research and also under paid non-military, do i list it twice as such on the AMCAS? if not which section is it in. Because it was research for units, and also paid research due to a minority research program i was a part of

3. Where should i put the section in green. It was a club i was actively a part of, but not really an activity outside of school? is there a section on the ACMCAS for school organizations you were involved in?

4. Lastly, this is a quick sum of my work / activities, but is there anything significantly lacking that i could get to work on over the nest few months before submitting in June 2013.

Thanks SDN Family! any help is appreciated.

Community Service- Clinical:
10 Months / 170 hrs. Clinical Care Extender Volunteer Internship, Riverside Community Hospital.

Community Service Not Clinical:
4 Years / ~400 hrs: Volunteer with high school after school soccer programs, practice, and study hall. 2008-2013

Shadowing
1 Year / 100 hrs: Dr. Derek Nyguen M.D. private practice setting, and free community health outreaches 2011-2013.

Extracurricular Activities:
Running Clycling / Soccer / Tennis @ other recreational sports
Backpacking in the High Sierras
1 Year: Union Salvadorenos de Estudiantes Unidos, Organization member. Volunteer with local events. Published article on a Central American News Website on cervical cancer in El Salvador.

Awards and Honors:
Dean Loda Mae Davis Scholarship Recipient
8 quarters Deans Honors List
2 years Chancellors Honors List
Golden-Key Honors Society
Dollars for Scholars Private Scholarship Recipient

Research:
2 Years 12-16 hrs/ week: Cell & Molecular Developmental Biology Stem Cell Research 2010-2012: Quantifying effects of Tobacco products on various motility properties of mouse neural, mouse embryonic, and human embryonic stem cells using CL Quant bioinformatics software. (Symposium Poster Presentation).

Paid Employment- Non-Military:
3 Years Part Time 18 hrs/week: Buss boy at Applebee’s
10 months Part Time 15 hrs/ Week: Buss boy / night cleaner at Flo’s Farmhouse Café
2 Years 12-16 hrs/week: University Research (aforementioned)
8 Months Full Time 40 hrs/week: Operating Room assistant at Parkview community hospital.

Leadership:
1 Year: Inland Empire Skin Cancer Prevention and Awareness Organization Project: A local community awareness project I founded after seeing a vast numbers of easily preventable cases (as the Dr put it) of skin cancer occurring among patients. I spoke and presented at various high schools, clinics, recreations across the inland empire valley, spoke with hundreds of students, formed and maintained an active face book page with easily accessible and beneficial information.
2 Years: President of The Well Christian Club @ UCR: 50 members, 20 active members.
2 Years: Harvest Christian Fellowship College Ministry leader, oversee a group of six guys that I meet with on a regular basis for bible study, encouragement and fellowship.

Teaching/Tutoring:
2 Years: On and off, Selected tutor among college graduates and high school teachers for The CA Tutoring Solution. Tutor AP high school students in home various subjects. (Paid employment through The CA Tutoring Solution
)
1) Sometimes you get a choice of several categories, in this case teaching or Employment nonMilitary.. You can pick based on what balances your application best. I'd lean toward using employment.

2) On AMCAS, you would not list an activity twice. Research is usually listed under Research, even if paid, but you can make the employment aspect clear in the description or the title you give the experience.

3) I'd use Other, since it is multifaceted.

4) That is a question for WAMC as it doesn't fall into the purpose of this thread.

Just wondering if the following experience is appropriate for this section of the application...

I spent 2 weeks in the burn unit ICU after an accident where I sustained third degree burns. This was about a year after I had graduated from college. I had been pre-med the entire time as an undergrad, however, due to a lack of that "eureka" moment, I thought perhaps that medicine was not for me. Then the accident happened - and it changed everything. I won't get into the details, but that moment finally came, where I knew that my calling was to be a physician.

My personal statement will discuss this event, and I'm just curious if I may also include it as one of my 15 activities/experiences...

Thanks.

Just wondering if the following experience is appropriate for this section of the application...

I spent 2 weeks in the burn unit ICU after an accident where I sustained third degree burns. This was about a year after I had graduated from college. I had been pre-med the entire time as an undergrad, however, due to a lack of that "eureka" moment, I thought perhaps that medicine was not for me. Then the accident happened - and it changed everything. I won't get into the details, but that moment finally came, where I knew that my calling was to be a physician.

My personal statement will discuss this event, and I'm just curious if I may also include it as one of my 15 activities/experiences...

Thanks.

I was told by various others that if something is discussed in your PS, it is not wise to then discuss it again in your most meaningful experiences, vis versa if you reserve an event for the most meaningful experiences do not discuss it on you PS.
However there are others who can chime in advice on this thread also.
That sounds like an amazing story and would be great in your PS.

First off, there is no official thread for the 2013-2014 AMCAS, so I'm assuming I should still post my questions here.

Anyway, I've already written the first draft of my personal statement.
I touched base on my undergrad research, volunteering in a hospital close to my college, and working during my free time at a relative's clinic.
I tried to make a concise and clear story as to how those things reinforced my goal to become a physician.

To my understanding, the Work/Activities section of the AMCAS is where you list select things from your resume and can expand on your specific duties and/or what you learned from those experience with respect to a career in medicine.

Before I get to my concerns, here is my current list of activities for this section:

1. Thesis Research (Most Meaningful Experience)
2. Engineering Organization: Vice-President (Most Meaningful Experience)
3. Hospital Volunteer (Most Meaningful Experience)
4. Publications
a. Journal Article
b. Conference Paper​
5. Conferences
6. Biomedical Engineering Senior Project working with a local BME company
7. Worked at a relative's medical clinic
8. Community Service
a. College of Engineering Special Event Tour Guide
b. Religious Organization - Renovated dilapidated homes​
9. Honors/Awards/Recognitions
a. Undergraduate Award for Biomaterials Day Conference
b. Award for poster presentation at university
c. Summa Cum Laude
d. Honors Program
e. Dean's List
f. Scholarships
i. University Scholarships
ii. College Scholarships
iii. State Scholarships
iv. Organizational Scholarships​
10. Extracurricular/Hobbies
a. Guitar (2003-Present)
b. Argentine Tango (2011-Present)​

These are the experiences that I have so far, but there will be more before I graduate this spring.

Now to my concerns...

Concern #1: Most Meaningful Experiences
In my PS, I really only spoke of how research helped me gain skills that will be useful as a physician. In the Work/Activities section, I was planning on talking about my duties (it was basic science research), the interaction that I did have with physicians during the process, and the nuances of the project (Most Meaningful Portion). Also, I was going to expand on how writing my thesis was an enjoyable process and helped me become a critical thinker (Most Meaningful Portion).
For the other two potential most meaningful experiences, I am kind of undecided as to what I should do. If I don't label the volunteering at the hospital and working at my relative's clinic as "Most Meaningful Experiences", would that seem confusing to ADCOMs since I did highlight those experiences in my PS? Would that imply anything negative to ADCOMs if I only labeled my basic science research as a "Most Meaningful Experience" and not anything directly related to clinical experience?
If I don't talk about those experiences, I was thinking about listing my leadership position in the engineering organization as another "Most Meaningful Experience".

Concern #2: Conferences and Awards
For the Conferences section, I've presented at national undergraduate conferences, conferences/symposia at my university, and random, not necessarily science-related conferences in my state. So far, I was only thinking about listing the national conferences since they seem most important and I don't want to bore ADCOMs with the other conferences.
Does that seem like a good idea?

For my Awards/Recognitions/Honors, I listed the awards that I received at two different conferences. I wasn't planning on listing the actual conferences in the Conferences section because it seemed redundant.

Lastly, pertaining to my scholarships, none of the ones that I've received were nationally-renowned. Should I even list them?

Concern #3: Extracurricular activities
I want to give ADCOMs an accurate description of my hobbies in case they start asking me about them during interviews.

So I've been playing guitar since I was in middle school. I taught myself how to play, was in jazz band in high school, played at a wedding one summer, and up till this past year, played pretty consistently in my spare time to relax. Since I started studying for my MCAT, I don't play as often as I used to. Is it still worth mentioning as my hobby?

Also, I took up Argentine tango last year and did that for a few months. I took lessons, went to workshops, and dances. I wouldn't say that I just tried it out. I actually really enjoyed Argentine tango, but I haven't been back since I started studying for my MCAT.
I'm no expert and did not do dance as long as playing my guitar. Is it worth mentioning?

my concerns...

Concern #1: Most Meaningful Experiences
1) If I don't label the volunteering at the hospital and working at my relative's clinic as "Most Meaningful Experiences", would that seem confusing to ADCOMs since I did highlight those experiences in my PS?
2) Would that imply anything negative to ADCOMs if I only labeled my basic science research as a "Most Meaningful Experience" and not anything directly related to clinical experience?
3) If I don't talk about those experiences, I was thinking about listing my leadership position in the engineering organization as another "Most Meaningful Experience".

Concern #2: Conferences and Awards
4) I was only thinking about listing the national conferences since they seem most important and I don't want to bore ADCOMs with the other conferences.
Does that seem like a good idea?

5) For my Awards/Recognitions/Honors, I listed the awards that I received at two different conferences. I wasn't planning on listing the actual conferences in the Conferences section because it seemed redundant.

6) Lastly, pertaining to my scholarships, none of the ones that I've received were nationally-renowned. Should I even list them?

Concern #3: Extracurricular activities
7) So I've been playing guitar since I was in middle school. I taught myself how to play, was in jazz band in high school, played at a wedding one summer, and up till this past year, played pretty consistently in my spare time to relax. Since I started studying for my MCAT, I don't play as often as I used to. Is it still worth mentioning as my hobby?

8) Also, I took up Argentine tango last year and did that for a few months. I took lessons, went to workshops, and dances. I wouldn't say that I just tried it out. I actually really enjoyed Argentine tango, but I haven't been back since I started studying for my MCAT.
I'm no expert and did not do dance as long as playing my guitar. Is it worth mentioning?
1) No.

2) No.

3) That would be fine.

Don't overthink what constitutes "Most Meaningful." You have the choice of picking based on what appealed most to your heart vs what you think will appeal most to adcomms. If the latter is your strategy, you will be wrong half the time. If you pick the former, you can't go wrong.

4) That's fine.

5) I agree. You could also consider listing the Awards with the related research. Doing it the way you suggest would work well also.

6) If they were for large dolllar amounts and based on merit rather than need, they are worth listing. They can be grouped with all other Awards and Honors.

7) I'd list it as an Artistic Endeavor instead.

8) It can be grouped with other Hobbies.

6) If they were for large dolllar amounts and based on merit rather than need, they are worth listing. They can be grouped with all other Awards and Honors.

Would a fourth of the total costs every semester count as "large"? That's how much one of my university scholarships contributed, which was pretty helpful in my book since I go to a state university.

Thanks for all the advice Catalystik!!

1. I took a class to become a certified nursing assistant a few semesters ago. During the class we had around 8 weeks of clinical experience that obviously was not paid. Will I have somewhere to explain this in the academic section or should I list it somewhere else?

2. I've played drums for around 10 years and gave private lessons for the past few summers. Should I list this under employment or teaching? Also who can I possibly list as a contact since I employed myself?

1. I took a class to become a certified nursing assistant a few semesters ago. During the class we had around 8 weeks of clinical experience that obviously was not paid. Will I have somewhere to explain this in the academic section or should I list it somewhere else?

2. I've played drums for around 10 years and gave private lessons for the past few summers. Should I list this under employment or teaching? Also who can I possibly list as a contact since I employed myself?
1) There is no place for explanations in the transcript section. You could list it in the Experiences section, in which case, I suggest you designate it "Other." Though it was not paid, this was not a volunteer activity, for AMCAS purposes.

2) You could pick either, depending on what balances your application best. A third potential category would be "Artistic Endeavor" if you ever shared your talent in a public venue. As a contact consider an old drum teacher or a student (or their parent, depending on age).

Edit: Sorry about that, Catalystik. I'll go ahead and remove this.

Last edited:
Hoping for a response from an adcom member on this, but I am open to all suggestions.

I will be applying with my bachelor's in nursing. I initially wanted to be a CRNA, but decided against it around senior year. Unfortunately, it was too late to change majors, so I went ahead and graduated. Nursing, and my hospital experiences from nursing, was my guiding light towards medicine. I'll have two years as an ICU RN at the time of applying, with stellar ECs/GPA/MCAT, etc. I feel as though the only downside my application could potentially have would be my major.

My question is this: What is the absolute best way to present myself under these circumstances? Should I write about how nursing led me towards medicine in my PS? Or should I leave it out altogether? I also have had other experiences that drove me into healthcare which I plan on addressing in my PS, such as my father's health, but I was unsure of how much emphasis to put on my history as a nurse.
Your question falls outside the intended scope of this thread, namely listing Activities in the Experiences section. You might consider starting a thread in the main PreMed-Allo forum to get input on writing your PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.