*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it is that time of year again!

The AMCAS Application will be opening soon, and with it comes a ton of questions. The "Work and Activities" Section is probably the most talked about section. For reference, here are three older threads that contain lots of valuable information about this section:

Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS: The thread from 2005-2010 with over 3500 posts
*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*: 2011-2012 thread with over 1800 posts
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*: Last year's thread with over 2000 posts
(Even though these threads are all quite long, you can still search those threads to find useful answers to your question)

All new threads dealing with this topic in Pre-Allo will be merged into this thread.

In the first few posts, the Moderation staff will be compiling a FAQ. Any suggestions for the FAQ are appreciated.

Some helpful, official AMCAS resources:
The 2014 Application Manual, especially section 5
AMCAS FAQ

REMINDER: Each thread has a search function. Please use it.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please Note: This is a particularly difficult section of the application. On almost every point there are differing opinions, and ultimately you need to create the work and activities section that is best for you, but being consistent is important. Take all advice offered here as a piece of the solution, but often not the ultimate word on the subject.

This FAQ is a work in progress. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Work and Activities FAQ

1. What is the Work/Activities Section all about?
This is where you get to talk about your extracurricular activities, or "ECs" as they are referred to around SDN. This includes things like research experience, tutoring, academic awards, volunteer experience, clinical experience, etc. Everything that you ever wanted an admissions committee member (AdCom) to know about you to show that you are in fact a good candidate for medical school.

2. What kinds of categories can I put things in?

Artistic Endeavors
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical
Conferences Attended
Extracurricular Activities
Hobbies
Honors/Award/Recognition
Intercollegiate Athletics
Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
Military Service
Other
Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical
Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
Presentations/Posters
Publications
Research/Lab
Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant

3. What kinds of things should I put in each category?

Part of this will be a judgement call. Adcoms are aware that things may fall into more than one category. For instance, if you are a Lead TA, you may want to separate it into two entries, one for Leadership and the other for Teaching/Tutoring. If you feel like you are more deficient in one category than another, then you may want to list it in the category where you are lacking something to balance out your application.

Some examples of things to list in each category:

Leadership
-Club officer
-Student activism/government/Greek activities
-Starting a non-profit/student organization

Honors/Awards/Recognitions
-Academic awards such as honor societies, dean's list, etc.
-Interesting certifications or recognitions you have such as a black belt in a martial art, placing in a competition, certified as pilot, etc.
-Received competitive research position or project funding for which you applied.
-Phi Beta Kappa

Community Service - Medical/Clinical
-As LizzyM likes to put this one, if you are close enough to SMELL patients, it is clinical. This is pretty much the prevailing wisdom on SDN.

Community Service - Non-medical/Clinical
-If it doesn't fall into the above, you didn't get paid for it, and it isn't a leadership or teaching opportunity, it probably falls here
-Include things like volunteering for non-profits and charitable organizations, volunteer work you have done at your school, etc.

Most of the other categories should be pretty self-explanatory.

4. They are giving me a lot of space to describe each activity....how the heck should I enter them in? Is less more? Should I use up all available space?

Unfortunately...you will never get a clear cut answer to this one. But we can give you some possible techniques and advice

A - One school of thought is that this is not the time to pontificate. Describe the activity if it needs describing (if you think it is something an AdCom member will not know about) and otherwise, be pithy with your description. Many think that talking about what you learned from the activity is not appropriate in this section, and is better saved as material for secondary applications.

B - Another school of thought is that this is exactly the place to address why you got involved and/or what you learned from an activity because you may not get another chance in a secondary application. Those from California especially feel this pressure since most of the secondaries at California Med Schools are screened (you do not automatically get a secondary; they review your primary application first and decide if you are worthy). Because of this it is tempting to spew as much as possible here.

C - Approach C is a combination of the two approaches. Spew when necessary (an unusual activity that may need a little bit more explanation to understand its depth, and you learned a lot from but you are NOT addressing in your PS) and limited description of commonplace application items (ER scribe, general hospital volunteer, MCAT teacher/tutor).

You can really go down two general paths when it comes to entering the activities in: paragraph form or bullet points. Go with what comes most naturally to you, and don't force yourself to conform to a style that you think is inappropriate for the information you are trying to convey and your writing style.

Another trick for entering your activities is to use a catchall description that allows you to enter several different activities under one heading so that you are not wasting multiple spots. For example:

Activity: "Undergraduate Work Experience". Category: Paid Employment - Non-Military
Input the other header information (time span, total hours, contact, etc) for the first activity listed

Activity Description
Activity Description said:
Starbucks Barista
-Responsible for training new employees, customer service, and product ordering.
-Worked while attending school full time

Also:
Paid Intern - June 2008 - August 2008
-Worked at the Mayor's Office for the City of Memphis.
-Responsible for...
-Worked 40 hours per week while taking 1 summer class

Grocery Store Worker - August 2008 - May 2010
-Worked as a cashier for a major grocery store chain
-Worked 30 hours per week while attending school full time
-Responsible for....
By using this method, you are able to save 2 spaces in the Work/Activities section, but still are able to show that you have significant work experience and experience juggling a job and school.

5. Is work experience really that important for me to list? Who is going to care if I worked at a grocery store for 2 years, 20 hours a week, while in college?

Work experience is ABSOLUTELY important for you to list. There is a fantastic thread about this topic here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813497

The short version: the work/activities section is there for you to show off all of your skills. Holding down a job while continuing to be a learner (student) is a huge skill that not every medical student can bring to the table. It also shows commitment and an ability to tolerate some suckage, something that every job has, no matter how much you may love it on some days.

6. Should I really list that I was on the dean's list/in an honor society?

Again....two schools of thought here. One is that many applicants have these things, so why list them. The other is that they won't know unless you tell them.

Again, a good trick for entering activities is to have a catch-all category like "Academic Recognition" where you then list the X number of awards/recognition that you have received. That way you are not taking up multiple spaces for things you don't want to emphasize.

7. Do AdCom members really contact people in the "Contact Information" field of this section? What should I do if I don't have a good contact for an activity?

General thoughts about this say that no, AdCom members do not contact these people. However, the application changed a few years ago to require either a phone number or email address for a contact for most activities listed. If anyone finds out any information about this, please feel free to post it in this thread.

There are certainly some activities that are difficult to list a contact, like an activity long ago. Here are a few hints: It is best to include the most impartial person possible (so list your mom as your absolute last resort) but you might find the need to list your roommate or your friend as a contact. Remember, if the contact is called or emailed, he or she only needs to provide reassurance to the adcomm that you described the activity faithfully. These are contacts not references so the person who responds does not need to answer questions about your abilities to succeed in medical school. Also, please read the AMCAS FAQ answer to this question.

8. Most Meaningful Activities

8a. Is there any benefit to marking three activities as "Most Meaningful" vs. just one?
Again, there are several schools of thought on this issue:
i. You are only obliged to list one activity as "Most Meaningful." If you can express yourself in the first 700 characters, adding 1325 characters about two other activities might bore admissions committee members.
ii. Admissions committees will pay special attention to the activities marked as "Most Meaningful" so mark three activities that are the strongest part of your application. Be sure not to add fluff in the extra space, perhaps including a concise story to help illustrate the "transformative nature of the experience."

8b. What happens if I wrote about my most meaningful activities in my personal statement?
It is best not to repeat information on your application. There are two options:
1. Pick different activities as your "Most Meaningful".
2. Rework your personal statement. For example, you could use your Personal Statement to address a specific story, patient, or moment, then use the "Most Meaningful" box to provide a more general, big picture message from the activity.

8c. Can I use the "Most Meaningful" box to continue the description of my activity? For example, can I use it to list the citations for all my posters and presentations?
It is best to use the box as AMCAS suggests on the application. Some creativity will be tolerated. Just don't ramble to fill space.

9. If I talk about something in my personal statement, should I still mention it in my Work/Activities Section?
Yes, definitely. Be sure to review Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips since it is a bad idea to have your PS simply serve as a regurgitation of your Extracurricular activities.

10. How should I list Physician Shadowing?

Physician shadowing now has its own designation so it is no longer recommended to list it as "Other".

Some recommendations when listing physician shadowing: Group all of your shadowing together, giving a total hours for each physician. Additional relevant information such as their title ("MD" or "DO"), level of training if not an attending (resident, fellow, etc.), or other notes about the shadowing (i.e. shadowed only during office hours for a surgeon, only during image reading for a radiologist, etc.) can be included. There's no need to describe what shadowing is.

Here's an example of how shadowing can be listed:
Experience Type: Physician shadowing
Title: Physician Shadowing
Total Hours: Total hours shadowed
Contact info, organization name, and dates: Use the info for the first physician you want to list
Description:
Activity Description said:
John Smith, D.O., Family Medicine resident
13 hours in June 2011

Also:
Jill Smith, M.D., Pediatrician
New York Pediatrics
800-000-0000
20 hours in June 2011

Jane Smith, M.D., General Surgeon
New York Surgical Associates
800-000-0000
13 hours in January and February 2011, during general and bariatric office hours

James Smith, M.D., Radiologist
New York Radiology Associates
800-000-0000
7 hours in May 2011, during image reading
11. How many spaces are there for activities? How many of them should I use? Should I be trying to fill them all?
You have 15 spaces to list your activities. However, most applicants DO NOT use all of them. You should not try to "spread out" your activities for the sake of filling more slots. Be sure that every activity is worthy of being included and that they all improve the admission committee's understanding of you as the applicant.

12. Should I really be talking about my hobbies or artistic endeavors?
If you have some, then list them! Not all adcomm members will read them, but some like to know what you do to relieve stress and unwind. Group them all together.

Some are confused between listing an activity as a hobby or an artistic endeavor. The prevailing SDN opinion about artistic endeavors is that they involve reaching a wider audience (ie publishing or performing instead of just writing and practicing). A hobby is more personal with a limited audience.

13. Should I list something that I am doing in the future but haven't started yet?

No. It is a big no-no to list a future activity. The AMCAS application will not accept future dates for your start date. You might find an appropriate place to include the activity on a secondary, an update letter, or an interview conversation.

14. How should I list publications? What if some of them are "submitted" but not actually accepted yet?
Publications are worthy of their own slot, even if you already have a "Research" slot. For contact, use your PI that you worked with. For organization, you can use the name of the organization that publishes the journal. For date, use the publication date, or if accepted for publication but not yet published, use the accepted date. In the description, it is a good idea to include enough of a citation for an adcomm member to find the paper if he/she is curious enough to look it up. Some adcomm members find it helpful to include enough of the author's list so that your place in the authorship can be determined.

If a publication is only submitted or needs major revisions, then it is still a future activity which you cannot include. If it is published, accepted for publication, or accepted pending minor revisions then you can include it.

15. How far back should I go listing activities?
Any activity you engaged in after High School graduation may be considered potentially relevant. Strictly speaking, there is no rule that you can't include a High School-only activity, but if you do so, it should add substantially to your application, so you aren't wasting space for something that adcomms are unlikely to regard. This would include Experiences that began during HS (or even before) and either continued into the college years or resumed sometime later. Examples of life-long activities that might help your application would be music or dance involvement.

If you are a nontraditional applicant, then your more recent accomplishments are the most important to highlight. In that case, consider grouping your most important college-aged activities together under the "Other" designation.

16. What order should I input my activities in?

It doesn't matter! The AMCAS application automatically organizes the activities in a chronological order. Adcomms can change how the activities appear for their report but you can't alter the order.

17. What if the "Total Hours" for one of my activities is more than 999 hours?
See the AMCAS FAQ page for their recommendation https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/336138/morethan1000hours.html

Other Questions To Be Answered:
How should I go about naming an activity? (If anyone has suggestions on how to word this answer, send me a PM!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If i participated in research for two years, and my results led to a symposium presentation coupled with a poster, should i list 2 seperate activities for research? One being the research itself, and the second being "the poster" seeing as there is a designated section "presentations / poster."?

The reason i ask is because i currently have 16 activities, and yes that is combining multiple activities into 1 section already.
So i have to decide is i should either list two restaurant Jobs in one category, and include research as one activity, and "poster / presentations" as another activity.
Or if should i list the two jobs separately if one research poster presentation does not merit its own activity section.

Advice? thanks SDN Fam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this on the old thread right before it was closed- I'm having trouble trying to sort this all out as far as how to group some things, see the bolded questions

- Research / lab
1 year a public health research office
2 years neuropath research lab (two poster presentations, first author on a poster, co-author on a pub and another poster, a few acknowledgments in pubs- should I make a separate entry to list these?)
plus currently working in an Epi lab and have since December 2012)

- Teaching / tutoring
One on one math tutoring in college for three students over 3 semesters (unpaid)
TA for high school biology and earth science for fall semester 2012 (rewrote curriculum for earth science)

- Honors / awards / recognitions
2009 Excellence in programming award for a fundraiser I put together w/student org
2010 Loving Service Award from the Native Health Initiative

- Leadership
AMSA Premed Chapter
Membership coordinator for 2008-2009, Chapter director 2009-2010, Committee chair 2010-2012
AMSA National
REACH Grassroots coordinator 2010-2011, Heath Equity Week of Action Steering Committee Chair 2012, Cultural Sensitivity Scholars Program sub-coordinator 2012-2013, just elected Cultural Sensitivity Coordinator 2013-2014

- Community service / volunteer (not medical / clinical)
multiple trips during two academic years to homeless shelters (to serve food) and habitat for humanity through my AMSA premed chapter (should this go under student org EC or separately?)

- Community service / volunteer (medical / clinical)
one semester in an Emergency Dept (worth mentioning? 4-6hrs/week for 14weeks)
various projects as a coordinator with the Native Health Initiative over 1.5 years

- Shadowing
primary care (internal and family med), dermatology, ENT, cardio, emergency

- Hobbies/other
Musician- played all over the country from 2003-now, including SXSW festival in 2008, and had one international record release

- Work
1 year Front office in a primary care clinic
1 summer Caretaker for developmentally disabled
4 years Flower shop deliver during undergrad (in addition to research jobs)

I also worked a variety of jobs from construction worker to loan officer while just playing music before starting back in school in 2007

quick question:

When writing about research should I explain my entire project like the treatments, hypothesis, subjects, results etc. Or keep make it more of an overview of what I do.

thanks for the help!

Hey Everybody,

Quick question about the AMCAS application.

Does contributing to an epidemiological study qualify as research? I was involved in a community needs assessment (one of about half a dozen contributors) this Spring and I'm not sure where I should put this on my application.

Thanks,
Bill R.

Sounds like it could be tweaked to fit any number of places, so I'd put it where you need it.
Need more research? - put it there.
Need community service? - put it there.

Hey Everybody,

Quick question about the AMCAS application.

Does contributing to an epidemiological study qualify as research? I was involved in a community needs assessment (one of about half a dozen contributors) this Spring and I'm not sure where I should put this on my application.

Thanks,
Bill R.

Sounds like it could be tweaked to fit any number of places, so I'd put it where you need it.
Need more research? - put it there.
Need community service? - put it there.
Merging with Work/Activities thread.

I would put it under research. It doesn't sound like it fits the community service description to me

Thank you for taking the time to do this! Much appreciated :) Here goes:

1) Is it better to place awards received for research under the "Research" or "Awards" headings? Same question for publications; should it go under "Research" or "Publications" if it was in a school-sponsored journal? What about if it was a professional, peer-reviewed journal?

2) If someone used a poster/powerpoint you designed at a major regional conference, and cited you, can you include that in the "Conference" heading if you credit the person delivering the presentation? Is that looked upon favorably, or is it a pretty negligible achievement? I ask because I've attended several school-sponsored research conferences but not really any regional ones.

3) If I worked a job for 2 summers that has nothing to do with medicine, though I did utilize a second language, is it worth it to include?

Thanks again!

Should intra-university poster presentations be included?

Also, for a job that I only worked during the school year, should I put down the # of hours per week worked and write in that it was just during the academic year, or should I average the hours over the whole time, summers included?

Thanks!

quick question:

When writing about research should I explain my entire project like the treatments, hypothesis, subjects, results etc. Or keep make it more of an overview of what I do.

thanks for the help!

You won't have the space. Additionally I don't think delving into the nitty gritty will be as beneficial as explaining the skills/lessons you took away (succinctly). Read through the guide above.

As a reapplicant, would it be a bad thing if I changed some of the ways I listed previous activities and/or split a few of them up? Eg- volunteer hours at a homeless shelter that I previously included in a student org experience since we were going as a group.

Members don't see this ad :)
If i participated in research for two years, and my results led to a symposium presentation coupled with a poster, should i list 2 seperate activities for research? One being the research itself, and the second being "the poster" seeing as there is a designated section "presentations / poster."?

The reason i ask is because i currently have 16 activities, and yes that is combining multiple activities into 1 section already.
So i have to decide is i should either list two restaurant Jobs in one category, and include research as one activity, and "poster / presentations" as another activity.
Or if should i list the two jobs separately if one research poster presentation does not merit its own activity section.

Advice? thanks SDN Fam.

I've been on a committee for two years and was just promoted to the chair of the committee. The thing is that the activities we do tend to come in bursts. The rest of the year, the members are more or less participating in the group as a whole without any official duties. It's leadership and I do stuff, but because of how it operates, I don't do it *often*. If I average it, it'll come out to one hour a week for two years, which isn't impressive.

Also, do I list my being chair and my being in the committee as two separate things?

Does the work/activites need to be in "formal" or an "informal" tone? first person, third person?

Good idea to put church volunteer services on activities section? Helped teach bible study to kids, organized church events, offered food to the homeless some weeks. About 3 hours per week for over 2 years.

If I had an internship that had team building/leadership while shadowing physicians together into a program. How should I list this out? should I put it under shadowing? Also in description, I assume I would put all the physicians I shadowed (but its ALOT and have over 200+ hours) It won't give me room for explaining the other aspect of the program. Any suggestions?

Would mentorship be considered Teaching/Tutoring or other?

Thanks!

I will be getting some shadowing experience this summer and since I can't add future dates will it hurt me to wait to finish submitting it later in the summer?

13. Should I list something that I am doing in the future but haven't started yet?
No. It is a big no-no to list a future activity. The AMCAS application will not accept future dates for your start date. You might find an appropriate place to include the activity on a secondary, an update letter, or an interview conversation.

In regards to this, I'll be starting a medical volunteer position on June 5th this year, but I want to submit my application by June 1st. Is there nowhere to put this information?

Thanks!

Had the same questions! would mentoring be considered non clinical volunteering or leadership

Hi, all! I have held several significantly different positions within the same hospital. Should these positions be listed separately under "Volunteer (medical)" or all together under the same category? Thanks!

I'm planning on talking about someone I worked with in the description of an activity. Even if I changed his name the description alone would be enough for someone to identify him. Is that kosher? I've asked and he's fine with me including him in whatever I want to write.

Advice? thanks SDN Fam.
It kinda depends on where you presented the poster. Usually, we recommend that people create a separate activity for a poster if the presentation was at a regional or national conference. If it was just at a campus event, then I would group it with the research

Reactions: 1 user
I posted this on the old thread right before it was closed- I'm having trouble trying to sort this all out as far as how to group some things, see the bolded questions

- Research / lab
1 year a public health research office
2 years neuropath research lab (two poster presentations, first author on a poster, co-author on a pub and another poster, a few acknowledgments in pubs- should I make a separate entry to list these?) If they were all from the same project, then I would put all of the posters and pubs in the same entry. If you had multiple, distinct projects, even from the same lab, then list each project with it's highest level of accomplishment. Acknowledgments are not important to mention, especially since you have so many other accomplishments. You would also have a research entry for the lab.
plus currently working in an Epi lab and have since December 2012)

- Teaching / tutoring
One on one math tutoring in college for three students over 3 semesters (unpaid)
TA for high school biology and earth science for fall semester 2012 (rewrote curriculum for earth science)

- Honors / awards / recognitions
2009 Excellence in programming award for a fundraiser I put together w/student org
2010 Loving Service Award from the Native Health Initiative

- Leadership
AMSA Premed Chapter
Membership coordinator for 2008-2009, Chapter director 2009-2010, Committee chair 2010-2012
AMSA National
REACH Grassroots coordinator 2010-2011, Heath Equity Week of Action Steering Committee Chair 2012, Cultural Sensitivity Scholars Program sub-coordinator 2012-2013, just elected Cultural Sensitivity Coordinator 2013-2014

- Community service / volunteer (not medical / clinical)
multiple trips during two academic years to homeless shelters (to serve food) and habitat for humanity through my AMSA premed chapter (should this go under student org EC or separately?) Depends on space IMO. I would probably list these under nonclinical volunteer like you've got it here

- Community service / volunteer (medical / clinical)
one semester in an Emergency Dept (worth mentioning? 4-6hrs/week for 14weeks) IMO sure, if you've got space
various projects as a coordinator with the Native Health Initiative over 1.5 years

- Shadowing
primary care (internal and family med), dermatology, ENT, cardio, emergency

- Hobbies/other
Musician- played all over the country from 2003-now, including SXSW festival in 2008, and had one international record release

- Work
1 year Front office in a primary care clinic
1 summer Caretaker for developmentally disabled
4 years Flower shop deliver during undergrad (in addition to research jobs)

I also worked a variety of jobs from construction worker to loan officer while just playing music before starting back in school in 2007
I tried to answer questions after your bold questions. It's kinda confusing, sorry

I've been on a committee for two years and was just promoted to the chair of the committee. The thing is that the activities we do tend to come in bursts. The rest of the year, the members are more or less participating in the group as a whole without any official duties. It's leadership and I do stuff, but because of how it operates, I don't do it *often*. If I average it, it'll come out to one hour a week for two years, which isn't impressive.

Also, do I list my being chair and my being in the committee as two separate things?
You could always leave hours/week blank and explain in the description

I would group being chair and being on the committee

Does the work/activites need to be in "formal" or an "informal" tone? first person, third person?

Usually fairly formal IMO with correct spelling, grammar, etc. I did mine in first person and I think that works better. Might rub people the wrong way if you're talking about yourself in third person

Good idea to put church volunteer services on activities section? Helped teach bible study to kids, organized church events, offered food to the homeless some weeks. About 3 hours per week for over 2 years.

If it was a significant time commitment, which it sounds like it was, I would recommend including it. Some people are nervous about including religious stuff in their app but I think that stuff like this is fine and gives adcoms an idea of what you do with your time

If I had an internship that had team building/leadership while shadowing physicians together into a program. How should I list this out? should I put it under shadowing? Also in description, I assume I would put all the physicians I shadowed (but its ALOT and have over 200+ hours) It won't give me room for explaining the other aspect of the program. Any suggestions?

It doesn't sound like you actually used the leadership skills but rather attended some sort of leadership workshop. That's not too important to include so if you're running out of room on your shadowing description, I'd drop that part of it from the explanation and just talk about the shadowing

Thanks!

Had the same questions! would mentoring be considered non clinical volunteering or leadership

I would list it under non clinical volunteering if it was volunteer. Teaching/tutoring is thought of as teaching your peers.

In regards to this, I'll be starting a medical volunteer position on June 5th this year, but I want to submit my application by June 1st. Is there nowhere to put this information?

Definitely wait until June 5 to apply. Primaries aren't even sent to schools for several weeks. You can't submit until June 4 this year.

Hi, all! I have held several significantly different positions within the same hospital. Should these positions be listed separately under "Volunteer (medical)" or all together under the same category? Thanks!

Depends on the time span at each position, how many other entries you have, etc. I think most people would group those into one entry though unless they worked in each position for years or something

I'm planning on talking about someone I worked with in the description of an activity. Even if I changed his name the description alone would be enough for someone to identify him. Is that kosher? I've asked and he's fine with me including him in whatever I want to write.

As long as it is not a patient and since you've already talked to him, I would be fine with including his real name

i know some may think this is silly....can a freelance makeup artist/beauty consultant count as a hobby or possibly an artistic endeavor?

i know some may think this is silly....can a freelance makeup artist/beauty consultant count as a hobby or possibly an artistic endeavor?

Yes. Almost anything can be a hobby if its important to you/tells something about you.

Did you get paid for this? If so, I would list it as employment
hi there! no i didnt get paid for this...so would artisitic endeavor or hobby be more suitable? im a little bit confused as to which title to put it under the technical terms..thanks!

I had the opportunity to escort an esteemed physician when he came to my university's campus. This particular doctor is a childhood hero of mine and one of the reasons I became motivated to pursue medicine. Anyway, I am definitely using the experience as one of my most meaningful essays.

Has anyone had any similar experience?
If so, do you have any tips on how to phrase this experience in the BEST way possible in the short space provided (i.e., the 1325 characters with spaces)?

I have a few activities that I spend a lot of time on but dont really have anything to show for them.

For example I play basketball every weekend with friends since forever.
lift weights almost every day.
Play a round of golf like twice a month and go to the driving range once a week.
snowboard a few times every winter.
love taking pictures with my dslr but Im not a professional.
I recently learned how to code and now Im making an iphone app but its not yet complete.

I have been committed to them for quite some time now, but dont really have proof that I am involved ( no contact information)

Should I still list all these activities and if so where should I put them?

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys, is it a bad thing to exaggerate the number of hours for your volunteer work and shadowing? I don't mean like adding 200 more hours or just exaggerating to make the application look better. Where I'm trying to get at is that for example, I might have 280 hours for a certain volunteer work, can I put down that I have 300 hours? This is an ongoing volunteer work and I figure that by the time the adcom reviews the application, I will actually have 300 hours (I always had the impression that 300 will look better than 280, please correct me if I'm wrong on this). Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, is it a bad thing to exaggerate the number of hours for your volunteer work and shadowing? I don't mean like adding 200 more hours or just exaggerating to make the application look better. Where I'm trying to get at is that for example, I might have 280 hours for a certain volunteer work, can I put down that I have 300 hours? This is an ongoing volunteer work and I figure that by the time the adcom reviews the application, I will actually have 300 hours (I always had the impression that 300 will look better than 280, please correct me if I'm wrong on this). Thanks in advance.

The AMCAS application only asks how long you have been doing that activity and average hours per week. You are not asked how many total hours you have, I think some secondaries might ask for it.

I would round up a little so 300 would be a nice rounded number for 280.

1.) I've seen on other threads that all your shadowing, even with different MDs and at different times, should be grouped under one "shadowing" entry. Is this true?

2.) I had an internship that I received college credit for, and it was a fairly unique and educational experience that took me out of the campus environment. People in the medical field seem to think it's pretty interesting. I would hate for it to be dismissed as "summer internship, x credits", even though it was technically a college class, can I include it in my work/activities so I can discuss it a little more?

thanks!!

I have a few activities that I spend a lot of time on but dont really have anything to show for them.

For example I play basketball every weekend with friends since forever.
lift weights almost every day.
Play a round of golf like twice a month and go to the driving range once a week.
snowboard a few times every winter.
love taking pictures with my dslr but Im not a professional.
I recently learned how to code and now Im making an iphone app but its not yet complete.

I have been committed to them for quite some time now, but dont really have proof that I am involved ( no contact information)

Should I still list all these activities and if so where should I put them?

Thanks for your help!

It sounds like all of these can be grouped under hobbies in one entry.

There's some flexibility because most people don't know the exact number of hours they've done something. In your case I'd put down 280 but obviously opinions would differ. I doubt that 280 vs. 300 hours will have any sort of impact on your application success to be honest

1.) I've seen on other threads that all your shadowing, even with different MDs and at different times, should be grouped under one "shadowing" entry. Is this true?

2.) I had an internship that I received college credit for, and it was a fairly unique and educational experience that took me out of the campus environment. People in the medical field seem to think it's pretty interesting. I would hate for it to be dismissed as "summer internship, x credits", even though it was technically a college class, can I include it in my work/activities so I can discuss it a little more?

thanks!!

1. See FAQ #10

2. Yes some people have done stuff like this. I can't recall exactly but I think the recommendations before were to put it down as other and explain that you got college credit in the description? Maybe Catalystik can help out on this one

I had an internship that I received college credit for, and it was a fairly unique and educational experience that took me out of the campus environment. People in the medical field seem to think it's pretty interesting. I would hate for it to be dismissed as "summer internship, x credits", even though it was technically a college class, can I include it in my work/activities so I can discuss it a little more?

Yes some people have done stuff like this. I can't recall exactly but I think the recommendations before were to put it down as other and explain that you got college credit in the description? Maybe Catalystik can help out on this one
I would agree that if the experience was multifaceted and for academic credit, it should be listed under Other if you want to discuss it further, and this is acceptable. I would try to title the activity something that suggests as many facets as possible and includes the word "Internship."

Alternatively, you can carve out the shadowing portion and list it with all your other shadowing (without not counting the hours doubly). You might even state in the first description, eg, that 'the included 32 hours of shadowing is described under that category and not here.'

I tried to search it in most threads but I can't quite figure it out:

My main question: I have two first author publications, and one of them received an award from the journal. Should I list this in the description of the publication or put it in a separate AWARDS/HONORS slot?

Another question: I also have 10 slots total filled, and therefore have some more room; should I list each first author publication under a separate heading or both in the description of one slot titled PUBLICATIONS?

Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.