*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) You might use similar wording as you provided here, like "Longitudinal Collegiate Research Experiences" or name them by another commonality, like Biochemistry, Lopez Lab, Bench or Clinical Research, Academic Year Involvement. If your home university name isn't too long, it could be included in the title as the commonality. You have about 63 spaces to use, as I recall.

To give it emphasis, writing a thesis could be listed separately, if you wish, under the Other category.

2) I suggest leaving Conference names and poster awards with the Posters/Presentations slot (unless all posters were presented on campus, in which case leave them with the affiliated Research space). Research grants can go under Awards/Honors with particular mention if you wrote the grant or navigated the IRB process. You would have to give more information about what you mean by a "Fellowship" for me to comment.
Perfect- that's very helpful!
Grants are undergraduate research grants, and by fellowships, I was referring to summer program to continue research at my home institution and the NIH postbac IRTA program. I assume the same advice stands?

Members don't see this ad.

Grants are undergraduate research grants, and by fellowships, I was referring to summer program to continue research at my home institution and the NIH postbac IRTA program. I assume the same advice stands?
The summer funded (presumably) Fellowship could be listed under Honors/Awards, but could be just as easily kept in the same space with the experience itself, with the choice being made depending on space limitations. The same goes for the stipended NIH IRTA experience. My personal preference would be to keep it with the Research space, if possible, to keep the context clear.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered making one of these a Most Meaningful experience, just to get some extra space?

Are your numbers competitive for top research schools or, are you applying MD/PhD? If not, you might consider de-emphasizing your research background, if schools you have a realistic shot at are primary -care oriented.

So this is kind of my issue- I'm not applying MD/PhD and my application is focused around experiences in urban/underserved- my interest is in primary care and I have experiences to back that (and my PS reflects this) but I also have really valued my research and have a lot of it. So I'm trying not to make research the focus of this section (One most meaningful will be the employed research, another a public health experience, PS talks about a free clinic story), but I have a lot of research experience and I am not sure whether it comes off as kind of a disjointed story?

My stats are pretty average (33/3.6, not competitive for top research schools- I do want to apply to Einstein though)

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is kind of my issue- I'm not applying MD/PhD and my application is focused around experiences in urban/underserved- my interest is in primary care and I have experiences to back that (and my PS reflects this) but I also have really valued my research and have a lot of it. So I'm trying not to make research the focus of this section (One most meaningful will be the employed research, another a public health experience, PS talks about a free clinic story), but I have a lot of research experience and I am not sure whether it comes off as kind of a disjointed story?

My stats are pretty average (33/3.6, not competitive for top research schools- I do want to apply to Einstein though)
Schools that are aiming to train primary care docs may have concerns about an application that reflects significant research focus, thinking you might be less likely to attend their school, so why waste resources interviewing you. Or maybe not. But you should think about whether you want to deflect that concern. Either by de-emphasizing research on your application (maybe using the Employment tag for the MM entry, rather than Research, as you will for the other, or no MM space. And possibly by excluding posters you didn't personally present or that took place on campus), or by having a very good Secondary essay about how you'd blend your research interest with primary care (which can be done) for relevant schools with appropriate essay prompts. As Urban Health Programs exist that encourage getting a PH masters, the latter approach would be beneficial if that's what you are looking for. Alternatively, you might avoid including schools that don't have a phrase supporting research in their Mission Statement.

Hi @Catalystik, one more quick question for you. I did a semester of directed study in undergrad and was fortunate enough to present at a national conference and get a publication out of it. Is it OK to list all of this as 1 activity on my app? I was thinking of just listing it as research and mentioning the poster and conference in the description. I think this experience definitely belongs on my app, but I don't think it was so significant that it warrants 2-3 of my EC spaces. Thanks!!

Hi @Catalystik, one more quick question for you. I did a semester of directed study in undergrad and was fortunate enough to present at a national conference and get a publication out of it. Is it OK to list all of this as 1 activity on my app? I was thinking of just listing it as research and mentioning the poster and conference in the description. I think this experience definitely belongs on my app, but I don't think it was so significant that it warrants 2-3 of my EC spaces. Thanks!!
I think your approach is fine, but maybe try to use the word "publication" in the name you give the activity, besides the general topic of the research. And cite the pub or give the PubMed ID#.

I think your approach is fine, but maybe try to use the word "publication" in the name you give the activity, besides the general topic of the research. And cite the pub or give the PubMed ID#.

Should I try something like "Undergrad Research + Publication" or "Entomology Research/Publication"?

Should I try something like "Undergrad Research + Publication" or "Entomology Research/Publication"?
You can use a lot of leeway in the naming process: Undergrad Entomology Research, Poster, & (name of journal if well-known and the characters fit) Publication. You get about 63 spaces total.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.