*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also have 400 hours of coaching basketball for Nike and some prominent college programs (played basketball in college). As well as (by the time I apply) roughly 5-6k in clinical hours for hospice (my current position). So there's a bit to pull from for all of those
Among other possibilities, "coaching" can go under the Teaching designation when you have multiple choices and nothing else for that category.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Even though the paid Outreach was salaried, unlike the purely voluntary work you did the following semester, an argument could be made that it was still a Community Service. Thus my suggestion to keep both together. Your description can differentiate the difference (part of internship with hours of involvement not previously listed vs unpaid volunteerism) between the two time spans.

Alternatively, if you prefer, you could list the 8 hours/week purely voluntary experience on its own, and leave the paid portion with the Internship.

Awesome, thanks for the input!

Ok one last question... I'm glad I'm thinking about this now and am writing it all down so I don't forget. My junior year of UG I was part of a group that conducted research based on "disgust" for a psychology research methods course, wasn't published. My senior year I had to do a research project for my senior thesis based on health communication and media usage, wasn't published but presented our research at our colleges' All Scholars Day. Would this be considered research or since I wasn't published and it wasn't strictly science based, would it not be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok one last question... I'm glad I'm thinking about this now and am writing it all down so I don't forget. My junior year of UG I was part of a group that conducted research based on "disgust" for a psychology research methods course, wasn't published. My senior year I had to do a research project for my senior thesis based on health communication and media usage, wasn't published but presented our research at our colleges' All Scholars Day. Would this be considered research or since I wasn't published and it wasn't strictly science based, would it not be?
So long as it was hypothesis-based, had methods, data, interpretation, conclusion, it is Research for AMCAS purposes, whether science-based or not, published or not.

I suggest you include your presentation in the Research space, rather than giving it its own space.

So long as it was hypothesis-based, had methods, data, interpretation, conclusion, it is Research for AMCAS purposes, whether science-based or not, published or not.

I suggest you include your presentation in the Research space, rather than giving it its own space.

Thank you! Really appreciate the advice. :)

Out of curiosity, if we did research in high school, like INTEL or one of those competitions, should we list it on AMCAS?

Out of curiosity, if we did research in high school, like INTEL or one of those competitions, should we list it on AMCAS?
You might consider it if you were also strong in research at the college level (to demonstrate ongoing commitment and trajectory with increasing responsibility) and if you don't have other recent pertinent activities to mention.

Is it better to list a research tech position in a gap year as Employment or Research? I am leaning towards Employment and then listing publications and awards in their respective sections. I have another experience to put as research, but no matter what I feel like they will see that my research experience is extensive (full time for 2 years post-grad)... which is in my best interest? :)

Is it better to list a research tech position in a gap year as Employment or Research? I am leaning towards Employment and then listing publications and awards in their respective sections. I have another experience to put as research, but no matter what I feel like they will see that my research experience is extensive (full time for 2 years post-grad)... which is in my best interest? :)
If you already have another entry for Research, use Employment, but put the word "Research" in the title you give the activity.

Hi, Catalystik. If I may ask for your opinion--

I have been heavily involved with efforts to establish undergraduate research opportunities at my university and beyond and have played a major role in founding our Office of Undergraduate Research, but can't think of a good name to give this activity. Any suggestions?

Hi, Catalystik. If I may ask for your opinion--

I have been heavily involved with efforts to establish undergraduate research opportunities at my university and beyond and have played a major role in founding our Office of Undergraduate Research, but can't think of a good name to give this activity. Any suggestions?
I don't know how many folks were involved or what your precise role was, but, depending, think of words like . . . .
Co-Founder or Co-Initiator
Associate Coordinator
Liaison
Faculty-Appointed

Incorporating other words like maybe . . . .
Undergrad Research Orientation
Match Program
Faculty Recruitment
(depending on what you do, of course)

It's OK to use multiple descriptors. You can use something like 63 characters.

Hello!

I am President of my campus's Habitat for Humanity chapter. I was thinking about only using the leadership tag and only including the dates I held this position (aka this past academic year) and writing about the different things I lead and started in the description. I really didn't do much as a member the few years prior to that. I was wondering if it would be weird to talk about my leadership experience only? Since Habitat for Humanity is a very well known service organization would not mentioning the community service I did in there be considered strange to adcomms (since everyone associates Habitat for Humanity with building homes)? I did do service but my leadership role is more significant and what I mainly associate with this school club. The reason I am not talking about my time as a general member is because I don't feel like it adds anything to my application.

Not sure if my question came across clearly but what I'm basically trying to ask if it be weird to mention my leadership experience with a club like Habitat for Humanity and not mention the volunteering at all in the description box? I would only talk about the events I lead on campus to educate people about Habitat's mission and raising money for Habitat for Humanity in general.

If it matters I have been volunteering at an inner city school as a math/science tutor and an Alzheimer's care center for over a year now.

Hello!

I am President of my campus's Habitat for Humanity chapter. I was thinking about only using the leadership tag and only including the dates I held this position (aka this past academic year) and writing about the different things I lead and started in the description. I really didn't do much as a member the few years prior to that. I was wondering if it would be weird to talk about my leadership experience only? Since Habitat for Humanity is a very well known service organization would not mentioning the community service I did in there be considered strange to adcomms (since everyone associates Habitat for Humanity with building homes)? I did do service but my leadership role is more significant and what I mainly associate with this school club. The reason I am not talking about my time as a general member is because I don't feel like it adds anything to my application.

Not sure if my question came across clearly but what I'm basically trying to ask if it be weird to mention my leadership experience with a club like Habitat for Humanity and not mention the volunteering at all in the description box? I would only talk about the events I lead on campus to educate people about Habitat's mission and raising money for Habitat for Humanity in general.

If it matters I have been volunteering at an inner city school as a math/science tutor and an Alzheimer's care center for over a year now.
I don't disagree with your reasoning, but personally, I'd like to see some context mentioned briefly in your Leadership activity's description, like " After X semesters as a general volunteer, I saw a need for . . .", and continue the segue into the leadership role description. For the date span, include the leadership role only.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't disagree with your reasoning, but personally, I'd like to see some context mentioned briefly in your Leadership activity's description, like " After X semesters as a general volunteer, I saw a need for . . .", and continue the segue into the leadership role description. For the date span, include the leadership role only.

1- ok thanks. I will be sure to start off with adding that I was a member for several semesters prior to be inducted president for my senior year. If I use the leadership tag and include this prior involvement should the total hours include my involvement for the 3 years or only exclusively when I was president?

2- I don't think I was clear before but I know that since Habitat for Humanity is a general service organization and I did volunteer through them a couple times but I'm not highlighting the volunteering component anywhere in the description. Would this be strange because Habitat for Humanity is a well known service organization? In the description for this activity I am only discussing the events I hosted on campus to educate people on Habitat for Humanity's mission. I am not discussing the service component at all. I just wonder if adcomms would think, "how is this girl talking about Habitat for Humanity without mentioning anything about volunteering to build homes?" I do have service elsewhere on my application as mentioned in my earlier post if that helps.

1- ok thanks. I will be sure to start off with adding that I was a member for several semesters prior to be inducted president for my senior year. If I use the leadership tag and include this prior involvement should the total hours include my involvement for the 3 years or only exclusively when I was president?

2- I don't think I was clear before but I know that since Habitat for Humanity is a general service organization and I did volunteer through them a couple times but I'm not highlighting the volunteering component anywhere in the description. Would this be strange because Habitat for Humanity is a well known service organization? In the description for this activity I am only discussing the events I hosted on campus to educate people on Habitat for Humanity's mission. I am not discussing the service component at all. I just wonder if adcomms would think, "how is this girl talking about Habitat for Humanity without mentioning anything about volunteering to build homes?" I do have service elsewhere on my application as mentioned in my earlier post if that helps.
1) I would only include the leadership hours, not the time as a general member.

2) I doubt it will be missed. One is expected to include only activities that enhance one's application. If asked, I think the reason you gave is a sufficient response.

What are typical leadership roles one can mention if they are a non-trad and don't have the usual club leadership?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question so if it isn't I want to apologize in advance. I can always create my own thread if that would be a more appropriate place for discussion

What are typical leadership roles one can mention if they are a non-trad and don't have the usual club leadership?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question so if it isn't I want to apologize in advance. I can always create my own thread if that would be a more appropriate place for discussion
-Shift supervisor, trainer of new employees or lab volunteers.
-Board member for health-related organization or charitable foundation
-Organize charity concerts.
-Direct a play or other production.
-NCO or officer in the armed forces who trained/led a military group/team/unit.
-Organize others for a collection of needed items for an organization with which you volunteer.
-Start small, common-interest club eg card playing, sport, adventure, campus cleanup. Be sure it's self-sustaining.

Can anyone here who's interviewed divulge any info. in regards to the interview day? What kind of questions were you asked during the traditional interview and MMI? What was your approach to answering the questions? If you were accepted, what do you think was a major contributing factor from your interview day? Thank you.
Sorry, but your question falls outside the scope of this thread, which is to prepare one's AMCAS Activities section. You might check the School-Specific Interview Feedback section.

Last edited:
Hi I did some volunteering through school organizations however the hours were not a lot at all. I never counted but I did on average maybe 1 service site a semester and wasn't even involved all 4 years to begin with. The point with service opportunities for the two clubs I was involved with was to give everyone a chance. Would it be okay to mention under the school organization on AMCAS that "I got the chance to volunteer with X and that taught me Y." I am choosing not to be specific with hours but what are your thoughts on this? Is this ok? I just started volunteering at a women's shelter a month ago outside of school on my own and hope to obtain approximately 100 hours through this. Will have 1.5 years so I hope to show consistency by staying with this organization. I have this feeling it looks sketchy to not be specific with hours or is it common when people mention volunteering through school organizations?

Thanks for your help.

Hi I did some volunteering through school organizations however the hours were not a lot at all. I never counted but I did on average maybe 1 service site a semester and wasn't even involved all 4 years to begin with. The point with service opportunities for the two clubs I was involved with was to give everyone a chance. Would it be okay to mention under the school organization on AMCAS that "I got the chance to volunteer with X and that taught me Y." I am choosing not to be specific with hours but what are your thoughts on this? Is this ok? I just started volunteering at a women's shelter a month ago outside of school on my own and hope to obtain approximately 100 hours through this. Will have 1.5 years so I hope to show consistency by staying with this organization. I have this feeling it looks sketchy to not be specific with hours or is it common when people mention volunteering through school organizations?

Thanks for your help.
It would definitely be sketchy not to mention the hours of involvement. Rather than mention it under school organizations, maybe you could create a Volunteer space called Short-Term Collegiate Service Involvement, or somesuch. You could list the sites/dates there with hours but also include additional temporary involvement that wouldn't be worth taking up an entire space. This would make it look more substantial when you put the combined hours in the Total Hours space. You could use yourself or a fellow-involvee as a contact. Would that approach work for you?

If I want to do the trick of lumping activities for 6 out of the 15 activities, do you think that's overkill?

1. Work Experience: All my small work experiences during my first year (I was new and settled for jobs that were short-term so I wanted to lump them)
2. Other: I had 2 classes that were hands-on. One of them was independent research and the other was an advanced public health practicum. I wanted to lump these since they fall under the same category...
3. Research: I had 2 summer research experiences that were different but I did them both as part of a research fellowship.
4. Teaching: lumping 3 activities that have to do with mentoring first-year and transfer students.
5. Shadowing: lumping about 4 docs I've shadowed.
6. Community Services - Non-medical: lumping 3 church activities I was/am involved in.

I definitely do not want to annoy any ADCOM :/

Last edited:
If I want to do the trick of lumping activities for 6 out of the 15 activities, do you think that's overkill?

1. Work Experience: All my small work experiences during my first year (I was new and settled for jobs that were short-term so I wanted to lump them)
2. Other: I had 2 classes that were hands-on. One of them was independent research and the other was an advanced public health practicum. I wanted to lump these since they fall under the same category...
3. Research: I had 2 summer research experiences that were different but I did them both as part of a research fellowship.
4. Teaching: lumping 3 activities that have to do with mentoring first-year and transfer students.
5. Shadowing: lumping about 4 docs I've shadowed.
6. Community Services - Non-medical: lumping 3 church activities I was/am involved in.

I definitely do not want to annoy any ADCOM :/
Your proposals sound appropriate, except for #2 where I'd need more information to decide. Perhaps you could explain further how they fall under the same category.

Presumably, you will fill additional spaces besides the above.

It's early but when will the 2016 - 17 thread open?

Until then, @LizzyM @Goro @Catalystik ... spent about 24 hours over the span of a few days in an intensive care room with ... people I know. Being very indirect here to preserve confidentiality.

Suffice to say, the nurses and physicians treating patient (whom I know) explained a lot to me - many machines sustaining life; family members are in the healthcare sector and explained some other things going on (sedation techniques, vent, dialysis, blahblahblahblah) ... the entire family knows my pursuit... encourages me to ask questions, and learn...

Can I include this as anything? (feel sort of smarmy asking to use a personal thing for something on med app)

And yes, close enough to touch the patient, be told how to fix the sedation under the guidance of the physician; adjusted some items for medical purposes... (nothing that could interrupt sustaining life)

Your proposals sound appropriate, except for #2 where I'd need more information to decide. Perhaps you could explain further how they fall under the same category.

Presumably, you will fill additional spaces besides the above.

Hmm maybe I should split #2 and include one of the experiences (the research) under the "Research" lump because I did it under that fellowship too. Not sure if these are worthwhile to include as a "meaningful" experience since I included one of the research experiences in my personal statement.

And yes, I will fill up all 15 boxes.

Thanks for you help!

It's early but when will the 2016 - 17 thread open?

Until then, @LizzyM @Goro @Catalystik ... spent about 24 hours over the span of a few days in an intensive care room with ... people I know. Being very indirect here to preserve confidentiality.

Suffice to say, the nurses and physicians treating patient (whom I know) explained a lot to me - many machines sustaining life; family members are in the healthcare sector and explained some other things going on (sedation techniques, vent, dialysis, blahblahblahblah) ... the entire family knows my pursuit... encourages me to ask questions, and learn...

Can I include this as anything? (feel sort of smarmy asking to use a personal thing for something on med app)

And yes, close enough to touch the patient, be told how to fix the sedation under the guidance of the physician; adjusted some items for medical purposes... (nothing that could interrupt sustaining life)

I'm no ADCOM but that seems like an experience that you should write in your personal statement instead?

Reactions: 2 users
This is common fodder for essays.
Thank you, Goro... knew I could count on you :)

Fortunately (or not), my PS has a far (?) more interesting story or two. :( The only place it would fit is in the 15 categories but maybe, I should just skip it.

I'm no ADCOM but that seems like an experience that you should write in your personal statement instead?

My PS is already written and includes why now and influences along the way. The above experience is just interesting/clinical not life changing.

@Ad2b well, you know your experiences best! Hope it'll work out!

@Ad2b well, you know your experiences best! Hope it'll work out!

Yeah, at 51 I have a plethora of experiences to pull from. The story above was just so different. Best to you as well :)

If it doesn't fit in, you'll have lots more opportunities to write in the secondaries. And then interviewers will almost always ask about important moments that led you to want to become a physician.

Reactions: 2 users
@p0gono - good points! IF I get 2ndaries, then I can add it there... and discuss in interviews IF I get those... the whole aspect of being with the family in that situation, was a bit surreal.

Reactions: 1 users
@p0gono - good points! IF I get 2ndaries, then I can add it there... and discuss in interviews IF I get those... the whole aspect of being with the family in that situation, was a bit surreal.
The vast majority of secondaries are unscreened (meaning you'll get them automatically after your primary is submitted). For better or worse.

Key exceptions are public schools on the west coast (UC, UW) and Vanderbilt. There are a few that screen more loosely based on rough GPA/MCAT cuts, but I'm less familiar with them.

There are a few that screen more loosely based on rough GPA/MCAT cuts, but I'm less familiar with them.
I'm trying to decrease my list based upon the loose-screen, ageism (it is alive and well; and yes, I do understand why), and reinventionist lovers :) So far, I have 35 schools; would like to limit to 25

Hmm maybe I should split #2 and include one of the experiences (the research) under the "Research" lump because I did it under that fellowship too. Not sure if these are worthwhile to include as a "meaningful" experience since I included one of the research experiences in my personal statement.

And yes, I will fill up all 15 boxes.

Thanks for you help!
It would be difficult to adequately explain three research projects in a typical space, more so if they aren't related or with the same PI.

It would be difficult to adequately explain three research projects in a typical space, more so if they aren't related or with the same PI.

Yes I understand...if I already included one research in my PS, should I just exclude it in this section?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes I understand...if I already included one research in my PS, should I just exclude it in this section?
Sometimes you have to make a tough choice and cut something out. You might practice describing the research experiences (2 or 3) with the limited number of characters available and see how it looks each way.

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes you have to make a tough choice and cut something out. You might practice describing the research experiences (2 or 3) with the limited number of characters available and see how it looks each way.
I think I will do that. Thank you!!

@Catalystik Sorry to bother you again but I am having a tough time squeezing in activities! I was wondering if I should write about a research activity that would appear in my personal statement anyway? I want to squeeze it in so bad and say I presented a poster for it at 3 different conferences but there's no space... I already wrote about the other 2 research experiences (that did not appear in personal statement) as separate research experiences. Should I just exclude the third?

Just to clarify on the 3 separate experiences that i have right now:
1. 3-month clinical summer project, 2 poster presentations --> written as one activity, not on personal statement
2. 6-month clinical project during school year, 0 presentation --> written as one activity, not on personal statement
3. 3-month non-clinical summer project, 3 poster presentations --> written in personal statement, not on activity currently

I could always delete another activity to make room for the third project but I'm not sure if it's wise since the "weakest" activity right now still shows leadership.

@Catalystik Sorry to bother you again but I am having a tough time squeezing in activities! I was wondering if I should write about a research activity that would appear in my personal statement anyway? I want to squeeze it in so bad and say I presented a poster for it at 3 different conferences but there's no space... I already wrote about the other 2 research experiences (that did not appear in personal statement) as separate research experiences. Should I just exclude the third?

Just to clarify on the 3 separate experiences that i have right now:
1. 3-month clinical summer project, 2 poster presentations --> written as one activity, not on personal statement
2. 6-month clinical project during school year, 0 presentation --> written as one activity, not on personal statement
3. 3-month non-clinical summer project, 3 poster presentations --> written in personal statement, not on activity currently

I could always delete another activity to make room for the third project but I'm not sure if it's wise since the "weakest" activity right now still shows leadership.
To balance your application, you might consider giving the nonclinical 3-month project its own space and move the weaker (or longest ago) clinical project into the PS. Alternatively, put the two clinical research experiences together, using the more recent for header information (dates, location, contact, etc), but giving similar info for the second one in the narrative space. Another idea, if you didn't do it already, would be to put all 5 poster presentations in one space (unless they all took place at your campus, in which case, leave them with the affiliated Research description).

You might glean other ideas from my post about listing Research here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-tips-thread-2015-2016.1130356/#post-16376641

Last edited:
I'm also having trouble listing research- my experience is as follows:

Undergrad 3 years in a lab for credit and a school-based grant to do paid research in that lab 2 summers
- 3 national conference posters from this, 1 award at a conference, 1 pub

Tech position after graduation
- 3-4 pubs accepted by June, multiple projects (like ~10), 1 regional conference presentation, but on abstracts for 5+ (I write the posters for clinicians who partner with us)

To balance your application, you might consider giving the nonclinical 3-month project its own space and move the weaker (or longest ago) clinical project into the PS. Alternatively, put the two clinical research experiences together, using the more recent for header information (dates, location, contact, etc), but giving similar info for the second one in the narrative space. Another idea, if you didn't do it already, would be to put all 5 poster presentations in one space (unless they all took place at your campus, in which case, leave them with the affiliated Research description).

You might glean other ideas from my post about listing Research here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-tips-thread-2015-2016.1130356/#post-16376641

If I add the presentations all in one space, I still need to describe the research projects in another, correct?

Thanks for responding so quickly!
Right now, I'm thinking to combine the 2 clinical and add another space for presentations only (2 were national). If I described the third project in the PS, would it be wise to only include the presentations in the activities section?
Also, we should spell out the conference name right? I assume not everyone knows what SACNAS stands for.

I'm also having trouble listing research- my experience is as follows:

Undergrad 3 years in a lab for credit and a school-based grant to do paid research in that lab 2 summers
- 3 national conference posters from this, 1 award at a conference, 1 pub

Tech position after graduation
- 3-4 pubs accepted by June, multiple projects (like ~10), 1 regional conference presentation, but on abstracts for 5+ (I write the posters for clinicians who partner with us)
Have you considered making one of these a Most Meaningful experience, just to get some extra space?

Are your numbers competitive for top research schools or, are you applying MD/PhD? If not, you might consider de-emphasizing your research background, if schools you have a realistic shot at are primary -care oriented.

1) If I add the presentations all in one space, I still need to describe the research projects in another, correct?

2) Right now, I'm thinking to combine the 2 clinical and add another space for presentations only (2 were national). If I described the third project in the PS, would it be wise to only include the presentations in the activities section?

3) Also, we should spell out the conference name right? I assume not everyone knows what SACNAS stands for.
1) Yes.

2) You may do that.

3) Yes.

Hey @Catalystik, I would love your opinion on the following as ECs:

1. I recently participated in a hack-a-thon and actually won a prize for the project I worked on. If you are unfamiliar, a hack-a-thon is an even where a large group (~200 in this case) of people get together and spend about 48 straight hours working on various projects. They are called such because they originated in tech/computer science, but this one was global cancer themed so the people involved were doctors, scientists, public health experts, etc. I was thinking of listing the entire thing as an award, but would it be better to instead call it non-clinical volunteering or other and describe the entire event more clearly? I imagine this is a pretty important EC to list on the app, right?

2. I was also featured in a "student spotlight" thing on the front of the website of my graduate school. They picked me based on my high gGPA and some unique activities on my resume. Is this worth listing as an award? If so, should i just write 1 hour or something since it didn't actually require extra time.

Last edited:
Hey @Catalystik, I would love your opinion on the following as ECs:

1. I recently participated in a hack-a-thon and actually won a prize for the project I worked on. If you are unfamiliar, a hack-a-thon is an even where a large group (~200 in this case) of people get together and spend about 48 straight hours working on various projects. They are called such because they originated in tech/computer science, but this one was global cancer themed so the people involved were doctors, scientists, public health experts, etc. I was thinking of listing the entire thing as an award, but would it be better to instead call it non-clinical volunteering or other and describe the entire event more clearly? I imagine this is a pretty important EC to list on the app, right?

2. I was also featured in a "student spotlight" thing on the front of the website of my graduate school. They picked me based on my high gGPA and some unique activities on my resume. Is this worth listing as an award? If so, should i just write 1 hour or something since it didn't actually require extra time.
1) I think its value lies in its uniqueness. I agree with listing it as an Award.

2) I don't think this will add significantly to your candidacy (since everything you've mentioned is likely to be elsewhere on your application), but if you have some extra space for it, go ahead and list it with 1 hour of Total Hours.

Thanks!

It's come down to listing the spotlight thing or one of my part time jobs (working in a bar or political canvassing). Do you think the jobs have more value?

It's come down to listing the spotlight thing or one of my part time jobs (working in a bar or political canvassing). Do you think the jobs have more value?
Yes. You could list both part-time jobs in one space if you like, using the most recent for the header information and giving the same details for the second in the narrative. You might name it something like, "Part-time Collegiate Jobs," or some such. If you just want to list one, go with the bar.

Hi, Catalystic

I've worked in a total of 5 labs as an undergrad-- 2 as summer programs, 1 while studying abroad, and 2 others at my home institution. The first two are easy to name when categorizing (i.e. "summer research internships" and "research abroad"), but I was wondering if I could ask for your suggestion on naming my longitudinal research involvements (at my home university) when grouping both under the same activity slot. One of them is a thesis (and much bigger time commitment) than the other.

Also, when listing conferences, poster presentation awards, research grants, fellowships, etc. do you think it's best to list them under the corresponding activity slot to emphasize productivity or reserve them for separate "Honors and Awards" and "Conference Presentations" slots?

1) I've worked in a total of 5 labs as an undergrad-- 2 as summer programs, 1 while studying abroad, and 2 others at my home institution. The first two are easy to name when categorizing (i.e. "summer research internships" and "research abroad"), but I was wondering if I could ask for your suggestion on naming my longitudinal research involvements (at my home university) when grouping both under the same activity slot. One of them is a thesis (and much bigger time commitment) than the other.

2) Also, when listing conferences, poster presentation awards, research grants, fellowships, etc. do you think it's best to list them under the corresponding activity slot to emphasize productivity or reserve them for separate "Honors and Awards" and "Conference Presentations" slots?
1) You might use similar wording as you provided here, like "Longitudinal Collegiate Research Experiences" or name them by another commonality, like Biochemistry, Lopez Lab, Bench or Clinical Research, Academic Year Involvement. If your home university name isn't too long, it could be included in the title as the commonality. You have about 63 spaces to use, as I recall.

To give it emphasis, writing a thesis could be listed separately, if you wish, under the Other category.

2) I suggest leaving Conference names and poster awards with the Posters/Presentations slot (unless all posters were presented on campus, in which case leave them with the affiliated Research space). Research grants can go under Awards/Honors with particular mention if you wrote the grant or navigated the IRB process. You would have to give more information about what you mean by a "Fellowship" for me to comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.